Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Apparently Stybar had some issues with his teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Peter Stetina broke his leg, knee and four ribs. Bike racing is a rough sport.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PinnacleOrBust posted:

Apparently Stybar had some issues with his teeth.

Spec will make him some zertz inserts.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Some real nice photos of Sunday's race.

http://www.yarak.cc/ronde

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Withnail posted:

Peter Stetina broke his leg, knee and four ribs. Bike racing is a rough sport.

I just read about this and it seems freaking ridiculous. "Hey there are these posts here, maybe we should tell someone" "nah gently caress that just throw a cone on it."

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
There was another race today

Kristoff won

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Vasco had a climb with so many people on it that the riders bottlenecked and most had to get off and push since there was no way through.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
I know being able to get so close to your favourite pros on the climbs is something that a lot of other spectator sports don't offer, but there's got to be a point where proper controls need to be put in place so riders can actually race first.
Take the Zoncolan in last years Giro, spectators interfered with riders at the head of the race, both with and without intent, meanwhile all the course marshals stood shoulder to shoulder in the last 200m for the best view.
That said, after the drama, riders like Adam Hansen who weren't racing for placings or weren't suffering too much were having selfies taken with spectators running alongside.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That was when they were giving Quintana a push and nearly threw him off his bike yeah?

I've always maintained that while its ultimately not too harmful yet, there will come a point when some nutter just takes a rider they don't like out on a climb.

Speaking of nutters, this is a bit of a smash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Be9YlTbrIU

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
That, and more problematically Bongiorno was pushed by a spectator, hit Rogers' back wheel and had to put his foot down. Rogers went on to win the stage, and most likely would have done so anyway considering the eventual margin of victory. Idiots like that who might actually interfere with the race, or get themselves or riders injured are the main reason to control the crowds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

I've always maintained that while its ultimately not too harmful yet, there will come a point when some nutter just takes a rider they don't like out on a climb.
Look up the history of the tour. poo poo's a time-tested tradition.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The issue is putting barriers along an already narrow climb is a big ask when it can be 20km long and doing it for multiple ones is not possible logistically. The crowd needs to start being self policing and clothesline more morons.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Give the "idiot takedown of the day" a cash prize and tv time. The sponsors will be insisting that they start punching people.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

evil_bunnY posted:

Look up the history of the tour. poo poo's a time-tested tradition.

I meant in a more permanent way. Someone will get stabbed or something soon.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

serious gaylord posted:

That was when they were giving Quintana a push and nearly threw him off his bike yeah?

Speaking of nutters, this is a bit of a smash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Be9YlTbrIU

I liked the kid standing on the side of the road going through the list of alternate hobbies he could have chosen.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

There was that mentalist Irish preacher that took out a group in Paris one year

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Am I the only one who's pumped for the Hell of the North?!

I've put a cheeky tenner on Roelandts.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Xabi posted:

Am I the only one who's pumped for the Hell of the North?!

I've put a cheeky tenner on Roelandts.

Its tomorrow mate. ITV got it wrong.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
24 hours until COBBLEZ.

I'm probably going to hate myself on Monday because I'll probably get in only five hours of sleep (finish here is usually about 1am) but COBBLEZ. And the velodrome. And people getting hurt.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Its tomorrow mate. ITV got it wrong.
I know but I've been cobblin' for five days already. I bet it's gonna be a disappointment though.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 11, 2015

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
gently caress yeah purito. Shame he's never gonna win a GT tho :(

Edit: my bullshit work starts at 5am on Mondays which means I can't watch any live cycling on Sunday's. Or euro F1. It makes me sad :(

:(

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 11, 2015

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Go any of the Vans!

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

People still watch that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What it takes to maintain speed on the cobbles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjQPsFhysY

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to tonight :toot:

Pocket posted:

People still watch that?

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Degenkolb will win, or Stybar

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Oh son of a bitch. I dont have the energy to stay up all night for this...

Guess Id better get to bed.

Edit:

omega farma quicktixx-highroad is going to get it right this time and land Stybar Terpstra 1-2

Edit Edit:

Woke up to grab a drink and decide to check for video. Let's do this! (watch ten minutes and fall back asleep and then wake up at the finish line freakout to spoil the race for myself.)

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 12, 2015

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Probably gonna miss PR as I didn't get out riding early enough and it's finally warm here so going to make the most of it.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Not living in Central Europe much? :smug:

Jensie just said that he never really fell in love with Paris Roubaix. What a fucker

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Weather looks lovely so everyone's in the gutters. Shouldn't be too many fractured clavicles by the end of the day

And as I write this post there's the first few fallers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im liking Wiggins getting constantly dropped through his own idiocy by being at the back of the peloton.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
I wish they had all the rain I've been getting here lately.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there a worse place to be than spread across the arenberg trench as the peloton goes through it? I'm pretty sure that Bora rider needed his brown shorts.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Well that could have been interesting!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The loving idiots running a level crossing just to see a TGV come steaming past a few seconds after they finally stop.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

serious gaylord posted:

The loving idiots running a level crossing just to see a TGV come steaming past a few seconds after they finally stop.

what the gently caress. that train was under 10s away.

That last guy should really get fined.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

poo poo, I missed the train action. Didn't they straight up DQ the riders who ran a level crossing a couple of years ago?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gibbo posted:

what the gently caress. that train was under 10s away.

That last guy should really get fined.

Made even more stupid since the commissars slowed the peloton down to let everyone get back on. Seriously stupid from those guys and the ones that went through behind the police officers back should get kicked out of the race.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Paris Roubaix 2015 - Chicken Little.

The Sky is falling.

Is Wiggo the only sky rider that hasn't gone down yet?

Edit:

Fabs is boggling at their idiocy as well.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thomas would be a genuine GC contender if he could stop falling off his bike.

Gibbo posted:

Fabs is boggling at their idiocy as well.

Fabs is pretty much saying they should all be DQ'd and hes right. That train was less than 10 seconds from spreading a rider across the countryside.