Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Could you two awful posters take it to PMs or something?

They could send their heartbeats to each other after they get their Apple Watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

gret posted:

They could send their heartbeats to each other after they get their Apple Watches.

Does Apple Watch have a mechanism for sending hate?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

enMTW posted:

Does Apple Watch have a mechanism for sending hate?

Send a dickbutt digital touch.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

enMTW posted:

Nothing you said is true.

The patch isn't done. The OS isn't done. It's running late, like literally every iPhone ever shipped. Go lookup the first patch for every iPhone - the 3G shipped with no OS at all and in recovery mode, the 5s shipped (to reviewers) with totally broken TouchID, etc etc etc

4s had a ton of Siri issues that were fixed between reviews and launch....and those phones were all seeded a week early. Nowhere near this early.

The Pebble Time is a massive piece of poo poo.

What do you mean nothing I said is true? It's not suffering from gen 1 syndrome? It shouldn't have come with the lag free patch beforehand? You speak in really odd absolutes.

Pm me why you think the pebble is "a massive pile of poo poo." You speak in hyperbole for both sides of the fence, dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

rear end Catchcum posted:

What do you mean nothing I said is true? It's not suffering from gen 1 syndrome? It shouldn't have come with the lag free patch beforehand? You speak in really odd absolutes.

Pm me why you think the pebble is "a massive pile of poo poo." You speak in hyperbole for both sides of the fence, dude.

Nothing you said is true. Literally not a single thing.

News flash: review units run early software.

I don't have plat. The Pebble is a dorkwatch, looks hideous, the OS looks like PalmOS, etc etc etc. Gotta bow out now, mod orders. Rest assured that you are a dipshit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You speak in really odd absolutes. ...You speak in hyperbole for both sides of the fence, dude.

Rip Apple, you died with Steve.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jose Oquendo posted:

Send a dickbutt digital touch.

Ugh Apple behind the times as usual :rolleyes:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

I <3 you star war sex parrot.

edit: I am also curious what watch nerds think of it, but it doesn't seem like they got review units so April 24 it is.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Reverse Centaur posted:

Ugh Apple behind the times as usual :rolleyes:

Looks like the bottom part of your LCD is broken. Might wanna get that checked.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Looks like the bottom part of your LCD is broken. Might wanna get that checked.

Pardon, I have the G Watch R with a fully circular screen and completely not useless minute markings around the bezel. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go take an emergency photo of an elk for my company's magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGx0_ChcD9A

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
This is a poo poo thread.

I just want to buy a product that conceptually interests me despite some flaws I think it might have. I bought an iPad gen one for the same reason and enjoyed my time with it despite its issues. I imagine this would be the same. Yes the gen 2 apple watch will be better, stronger, faster, use holograms and read my mind instead of making me talk into the phone like a plebeian.

I'll probably get that one too, I know, I must be the worst kind of devil.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I bought a first gen iPad and had that thing for years before I finally upgraded. I also had the first gen iPhone and didn't have any serious issues with it.

I haven't had any issues with first gen apple hardware so I'll be buying the apple watch. We all know that the second gen will be better and the third gen will be even better than that.

I' guessing that we can't start pre-orders till 10am tomorrow? Does anyone know?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
My understanding is that it opens at midnight PST.

Also I can't be the only person who gets a kick out of stupid unboxing videos. This one has a bonus of being French: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-unboxing-video/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was surprised to see that the "send your heartbeat to someone" isn't realtime, it's like a heart beat text message.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Honestly, the watch looks awesome. I don't know who's dissuaded by those reviews, they read as enormously positive to me. I'm getting a 42mm black sport. I just want a solar system on my wrist, that's killer to me.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
This thread is Engadget-comments levels of bad. A black eye on the bastion of reasonable debate that is Inspect Your Gadgets.

There's only one way to fix this...*sighs as he draws his katana*

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Pre-orders are Midnight PST, yes. Going for 38mm Steel Black Modern Buckle. The Sport one just looks garish to me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

enMTW posted:

Pre-orders are Midnight PST, yes. Going for 38mm Steel Black Modern Buckle. The Sport one just looks garish to me.

I don't know, the smaller one isn't so compelling imo. Smaller display, obviously, so scrolling my twitter feed will be just that little bit worse, but Apple says poorer battery life than the 42mm one too. No teardowns yet or actual battery sizes, that I can find, but probably good to know.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

Yup; waking up at 3am EST.

I just want a 38mm sport for replying to texts while out on long bike rides. :unsmith:

All the other fuss is no big deal; ti'll improve with software updates and new generations of hardware for sure.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't know, the smaller one isn't so compelling imo. Smaller display, obviously, so scrolling my twitter feed will be just that little bit worse, but Apple says poorer battery life than the 42mm one too. No teardowns yet or actual battery sizes, that I can find, but probably good to know.

My wrist is very small. No choice!

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Lets say, for example, someone lives in a backwards rear end third world country, but will be back States side in July. Should I pre-order it and have it delivered to my parents and have it sit there for 3 months or should I just wait and try my luck with scarcity when I get there.

What would you do? I'm leaning towards waiting, but I think there is a significant enough chance that when I get back in July it will be really hard to track down a SKU I want.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Having no other experience with apple product ordering, I am still going to stay pre-order it as the crazy combinatorical SKU calculations Apple have run may be entirely wrong and its a fair bet that at least one unforeseeably popular combination is going to become the white whale/rare amiibo/black lotus of Apple Watches which will drive rarity even further as people hunt for them, and odds are it will be the one you want.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Nobody knows but 3 months in seems like a safe bet for supply to be back to normal. Unless it tanks, but then you're gonna have plenty to go around either way.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

EpicNemesis posted:

Lets say, for example, someone lives in a backwards rear end third world country, but will be back States side in July. Should I pre-order it and have it delivered to my parents and have it sit there for 3 months or should I just wait and try my luck with scarcity when I get there.

What would you do? I'm leaning towards waiting, but I think there is a significant enough chance that when I get back in July it will be really hard to track down a SKU I want.

I would ask them to reship it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

zen death robot posted:

I seriously hope people aren't going to start assuming that a watch is safer to gently caress with while you're in traffic than a phone is.

As someone who owns a smartwatch now it can still be distracting when driving. Don't do it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

Yup; waking up at 3am EST.

I just want a 38mm sport for replying to texts while out on long bike rides. :unsmith:

All the other fuss is no big deal; ti'll improve with software updates and new generations of hardware for sure.

Seriously, from one long distance biker to another, please just pull over. You are going to get yourself killed and perpetuate the cars v bike war we have going on. If you were at a red light and saw a driver talking to his watch instead of paying attention you'd flip out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EpicNemesis posted:

My understanding is that it opens at midnight PST.

Also I can't be the only person who gets a kick out of stupid unboxing videos. This one has a bonus of being French: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-unboxing-video/
Also there is a link to Mashable's review, notable cause it's from a Pebble user:
http://mashable.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-review/

quote:

I started this review process as a serious skeptic, but not a denier. I wear a smartwatch (the Pebble Steel) almost every day. When I started testing the Apple Watch almost a week ago, I insisted on wearing the Pebble on my left wrist while wearing the new device on my right to compare. However, a few days in, I realized I was no longer glancing at the Pebble.

I finally left the Pebble behind, and I dont miss it. That's because the Apple Watch is an excellent, elegant, stylish, smart and fundamentally sound device.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Also there is a link to Mashable's review, notable cause it's from a Pebble user:
http://mashable.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-review/

I can understand the motivation behind these "immersive" and "mobile-friendly" review sites but holy crap they look and read like rear end on a desktop display.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I was afraid that the apple watch would be too thick from the previous but the pictures I have seen from these reviews have assuaged those concerns. I wonder how much thinner they can make it in the future. All the sensors plus battery plus digital crown is going to make it a though task I imagine

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Seriously, from one long distance biker to another, please just pull over. You are going to get yourself killed and perpetuate the cars v bike war we have going on. If you were at a red light and saw a driver talking to his watch instead of paying attention you'd flip out.

While I appreciate your concern; the thing that I want is the "send my location" in response to my wife texting "where are you" and being able to see if she sends anything urgent. I have no plans to be dictating while riding or anything ridiculous.

I'm very aware of car/bike relations as I'm a regular cyclist in a big city, but there are still use cases that I'd like.

edit: And the plan is to utilize this: http://www.thecyclip.com/#main

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Apple has identified the stores that will carry the Edition edition.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/list-of-apple-stores-carrying-watch-edition/

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I Am Excited For My Apple Watch From Apple Computer, Inc.

Also here's a fun review from an Australian watch guy

http://www.watch-next.com/video-a-minute-or-two-with-the-apple-watch/

https://vimeo.com/124399344

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason I have a hard time taking his review seriously. It feels an inch centimeter deep.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's going to be funny when it turns out that the first generation Apple Watch is better than current generation whatever watches other companies make. That's the kind of horror some reviewers seem to be facing, especially with the subtle hope that the software updates won't speed up the 'beta' lag the watch experiences.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 10, 2015

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Just in case you're staying up to get your order in and feel compelled to type things on the Internet for other people to read but they're not worth cluttering the thread with, remember you can always point your IRC client to #iphone on synirc.net.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Apple has identified the stores that will carry the Edition edition.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/list-of-apple-stores-carrying-watch-edition/

Sweet. Gonna go buy me an Apple Watch Edition edition! :whatup:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also if it's anything like an iPhone launch, use the Apple Store app to preorder tonight. It's usually a lot better at not timing out while the website is getting hammered. Not that this will have anywhere near the demand as an iPhone, but still, use the app.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Also if it's anything like an iPhone launch, use the Apple Store app to preorder tonight. It's usually a lot better at not timing out while the website is getting hammered. Not that this will have anywhere near the demand as an iPhone, but still, use the app.

I'm not so sure about that, since most modern iPhone owners can use one, even those between contract years might throw down for at least a Sport.

vvv You guys should take a trip to Alaska, we order at 11:01PM and get a good night's sleep :smug: vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 10, 2015

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks for the idea. Easier to do in a half-sleepless-haze in bed too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So here's my prediction. There were slightly less than 4 million smartwatches sold in 2014 across all brands (including fitbit etc). Despite claims Apple Watch sales won't be impressive, Apple sells between 1 and 1.5 million of their own in their first week (more than Samsung sold in the entire 2014 year). By the end of the year they sell around 2-2.5 million at the low end. Sales slow drastically among Apple Watch competitors. 2nd Generation watches will feature multiple shapes (circle and square) and a cheap version. By the end of the first year of sales of the 2nd Generation Apple Watch, sales will approximate nearly all competitors combined.

Edit: Android models put quad core processor and a liquid cooling system into their Moto Gamer Elite model and are quickly sued when their customers wrists burn off.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 10, 2015

• Locked thread