Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So I bought Matthias Wandels dust collector plans, mostly for the impeller design. But I'm not quite sure how I should proceed, it's something I've been thinking of for weeks now and I keep going back and forth, I figured maybe if I air it out it'll become clearer.

One one hand I could build the dust collector like his plans show for a small mobile DC, I have a 1hp motor so I can make it a bit bigger and thus more powerfull, his design with a 2/3rds HP motor outsucked his 1.5HP commercial DC, that's the advantage of a highly efficient impeller, though the design is not capable of being a material handling impeller and needs pre-filtering, a good tradeoff I think. So from that perspective it seems like I could get a pretty good dust collector I could hook up to my machines as I needed to.

On the other hand, I also have a 4kw motor (like 5HP) I could use, with that I could scale up the impeller to like 50cm in diameter and have 10-12cm tall vanes, it would be a stupidly powerfull dust collector. I also already have a shop vac with a cyclone separator, I made it myself, and I'm not sure i want two of these things in my garage taking up space, I tink the shopvac is getting in the way when not in use and I'm redesigning it to be less bulky. With a permanent installation I could mount the DC up high on the wall in a corner.

Cons to this plan is it's going to be too expensive for me to build now. I need to buy proper ducting, I'd probably go for like 6" ducting or 7", and that costs money, holy poo poo those bends are expensive, and 6-7" flexible hose, jeeeez. With the first alternative I could just buy a length of 4" hose instead and I could have it ready this year. Most of my machines are old and standardized around 4" anyway.

So the question boils down to big permanent installation vs. smaller mobile DC?

Joke option: Build the smaller style DC but put the 4kw motor and oversized impeller on it.... Hmmmm....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Joke option: Build the smaller style DC but put the 4kw motor and oversized impeller on it.... Hmmmm....

Go with the joke option.
More power!

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If I were to build a homemade dust collector I would start by reading Bill Pentz's site front to back. Then I'd probably buy one of his sons steel impellers from clearvue cyclones and have a sheet metal shop make the cyclone. There are still plenty of DIY parts to put together.

That being said I wouldn't try to build my own. I'd get an Oneida air dust gorilla and leave plenty of time and mental capacity to work on the ductwork.

With regards to the smaller mobile or larger stationary it entirely depends on your situation. How long till you move shop? How many stationary tools? Is your money or your time more valuable?

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 9, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
$1.5k might be ok for a professional but holy poo poo

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Found a used Stanley No. 4 Sweetheart smoothing plane. How'd I do?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Comatoast posted:

If I were to build a homemade dust collector I would start by reading Bill Pentz's site front to back. Then I'd probably buy one of his sons steel impellers from clearvue cyclones and have a sheet metal shop make the cyclone. There are still plenty of DIY parts to put together.

I have read his site a lot over the last 6 months and I have gone in quite deep on the topic of dust collection. In the end I think he's too paranoid, and I suspect a lot of it is getting people to buy said products. I also I like the challenge of building my own and the idea of buying premade stuff one is such a de-motivator to me.

I don't want one of those steel impellers that are meant to have debris passing through them anyway, they sacrifice a lot of efficiency for being able to handle that kind of abuse, and I've come to think a properly designed dust collector shouldn't have debris passing through it's impeller in the first place. With cyclonic separation and pre-filtration of anything big that might pass through the separator that kind of ability is pointless, so why have it given how much power it robs?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Spazz posted:

Found a used Stanley No. 4 Sweetheart smoothing plane. How'd I do?

I assume that's post clean-up and it looks great. But it doesn't look like a #4. It's either a #S4 or a Bedrock #604, neither of which I've had any experience with.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I don't want one of those steel impellers that are meant to have debris passing through them anyway, they sacrifice a lot of efficiency for being able to handle that kind of abuse, and I've come to think a properly designed dust collector shouldn't have debris passing through it's impeller in the first place. With cyclonic separation and pre-filtration of anything big that might pass through the separator that kind of ability is pointless, so why have it given how much power it robs?

Cool. I'm at a loss then. Please make sure to post updates on your design and fabrication. I look forward to seeing what you do.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I assume that's post clean-up and it looks great. But it doesn't look like a #4. It's either a #S4 or a Bedrock #604, neither of which I've had any experience with.

Yup, it's an S4 under the "Sweetheart" series. I like this:

quote:

Offered as indestructable planes (maybe Stanley foresaw the nuclear arms race?), Stanley made these planes for heavy duty abuse. They advertised them as being useful for shops that had concrete floors. If I were in Stanley's marketing department, back when the planes were offered, I would have added that the planes were also designed for those workdudes prone to losing their temper, where the planes can withstand their being slammed to the ground during a fit of rage, like after you smash your thumb with a hammer or something like that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

On the other hand, I also have a 4kw motor (like 5HP) I could use, with that I could scale up the impeller to like 50cm in diameter and have 10-12cm tall vanes...

Cons to this plan is it's going to be too expensive for me to build now.

A DC in hand is worth two in the planning stage. And a 5hp DC for a one person garage shop seems over the top.

the spyder posted:

Build to what ever the cheapest belts you can find are. 2x72 is easy to find/reasonably priced due to their popularity with knifemakers. Switching between materials (like I've seen Jimmy Diresta do) may not be such a good idea without a thorough cleaning. I've got a KMG in pieces that I need to finish up, it's just missing the motor and VFD.

Thanks, I just realized I posted my question in the wrong thread. I meant to post in the tools thread. Priced locally, 48" were cheaper but close in price to 72". I guess if I build it and realize going smaller was a mistake, I can just rebuild it.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I'm moving soon to a small room but I still want a queen-sized bed and space to lounge around so I decided to live out my 12-year old dream of building a murphy bed! I bought this kit (the standard with the legs) and the instructions said to build the whole thing from 3/4" plywood, but I wanted to class it up with some reclaimed hardwood. I was thinking 3/4" x 12" boards of Walnut or Cherry. I checked the weight and it should be about 1.2 to 1.25 times the weight of the plywood, which I think the pistons included in the kit should be able to handle. I'm also gonna get a memory foam mattress so it should be lighter than the inner spring they recommend in the instructions. Do you think this would work? I'll be replacing all the pieces with the same size wood. The only thing I'm concerned about is the bottom which is made with two 31"wide sheets of ply, so I could replace that with five 12" boards (maybe I could find a 14" wide one for the middle board).

I'd also like to elevate it a bit so I could put a simple couch below it with a coffee table to act as a support (I don't really trust the little legs they include and the other kit wouldn't work if it was elevated). Here's sort of what I'm looking to do, except the foot of the bed would rest on a coffee table/ottoman, maybe I'll buy/build something like this from Ikea.

Thoughts? I got a circular saw, miter saw, drill, and most of the other stuff I think I'll need but this is the biggest project I've done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

wormil posted:

A DC in hand is worth two in the planning stage. And a 5hp DC for a one person garage shop seems over the top.

It's where I am leaning too, eventually I will have a permanent DC for my large machines with 6-7" ducting so I can use both 4" ports on my table saw for extraction from the base and hood at the same time. But if this works well enough that might be years away.

Though now I'll have two of these mobile things. I got a very similar machine I designed myself around a cheap chinese cyclone and a 1600W vacuum motor, lots of suction but not enough air movement enough to be a DC and only a 2" hose, using it in my table saw base didn't work at all, it just clogs up.

I am currently redesigning it to make it easier to swap the bucket and to make it smaller so it won't be as bulky. Wonder what I'll do with it when I get the DC working... Perhaps build it into my router table.

EDIT:
Also had an idea about the vanes, I only got softwood and hardwood is definitely recommended for making them. But I got loads of thin sheet metal, so I'm thinking what if I cut the vanes from softwood (I got some dense grown spruce and heavy, slow grown spruce can be harder than some of the softer hardwoods) and laminate sheet metal around them with epoxy. Should make a pretty durable vane....

Another thing that could be done is find a suitably large PVC pipe and cut the vanes from that. For my purposes I'd need a 320mm diameter pipe, dividing it into 6 equal parts would yield vanes of the proper size and radius for my design.

Ok done rambling, I get these idea spurts sometimes...

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 10, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dance McPants posted:

I'm also gonna get a memory foam mattress so it should be lighter than the inner spring they recommend in the instructions.

Memory foam mattresses are really frickin' heavy. Heavier than traditional mattresses, I'm pretty sure.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Memory foam mattresses are really frickin' heavy. Heavier than traditional mattresses, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, I just looked up two random mattresses on amazon, both 12" queens. The spring mattress was about 80 pounds, the memory foam mattress was pushing 100. Not actually as big a difference as I expected.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Huh, I guess I just figured foam would be lighter than springs. The instructions said up to 12" inner spring, I'll see about maybe an 8" and compare the weights.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Dance McPants posted:

Thoughts? I got a circular saw, miter saw, drill, and most of the other stuff I think I'll need but this is the biggest project I've done.

Do you already have the hardwood boards? It seems like it would be a lot more stable to build it out of hardwood ply of some kind and just do all the edges in actual hardwood than using 12" wide solid hardwood boards. I would think it'd be cheaper too unless you're getting a good price on the boards or already have them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Also had an idea about the vanes, I only got softwood and hardwood is definitely recommended for making them. But I got loads of thin sheet metal, so I'm thinking what if I cut the vanes from softwood (I got some dense grown spruce and heavy, slow grown spruce can be harder than some of the softer hardwoods) and laminate sheet metal around them with epoxy. Should make a pretty durable vane....

Yesterday you were talking about a 5hp DC with 7" pipe but today you're going to skimp on wood for the vanes? You're going in extreme directions. Bounce the idea off Wandell and see what he thinks.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

The Dreamer posted:

Do you already have the hardwood boards? It seems like it would be a lot more stable to build it out of hardwood ply of some kind and just do all the edges in actual hardwood than using 12" wide solid hardwood boards. I would think it'd be cheaper too unless you're getting a good price on the boards or already have them.

Seconding this. Just get decent ply and it will still look classy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

wormil posted:

Yesterday you were talking about a 5hp DC with 7" pipe but today you're going to skimp on wood for the vanes? You're going in extreme directions. Bounce the idea off Wandell and see what he thinks.

5HP or 1HP, all that's different in the design would be the depth of the impeller, it'll be under the same stress more or less as it runs the same speed. I've already asked though, I think PVC or a sheet metal laminate will be stronger than a hardwood only vane personally.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I managed to finish something -

finish came out nice, a lot of defects/mistakes which I could correct but I'm tired of working on it and can live with it. Learned a lot in the process.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Glad these drawers are done. So many drat parts all over the place are now corralled.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ChaoticSeven posted:

Glad these drawers are done. So many drat parts all over the place are now corralled.

Nice work! And the coloring of those corners is creating a neat 3D effect, kind of like the "cubes" from MC Escher.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sylink posted:

I managed to finish something -

finish came out nice, a lot of defects/mistakes which I could correct but I'm tired of working on it and can live with it. Learned a lot in the process.

That's quite nice. Do you have plans for this?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I was lucky enough to be given a wood shop tour by a local 90 year old man who built a lot of the houses and at least one church in the area, lots of interesting huge saws I knew nothing about and a lot of old Collins and Plumb axes, a chisel the size of a large arm from the 1800s that he put a new haft on, I had asked him about making my own baseball bat with a lathe but he doesn't use a lathe anymore.

So the guy hands me a piece of wood that he's had sitting around, says he thinks it's hornbeam and challenges me to try and make the bat out of it. I don't want to disappoint a cool old man, so I'm going to try to work with this even though I only do greenwood with hand tools. Despite being 3" too short to be a proper bat (it's 29" x 2.4" x 2.5") it weighs almost five pounds. I'm only able to identify trees and I'm poo poo at doing it with timber, so if you could give me a guess I'd appreciate it. It'll be hard I imagine since these are cell phone pictures of a single piece of timber. It also seems heavier than it should be for how dry and cracked it is, google says hornbeam/ironwood is only maybe 20 percent heavier than maple but when I pick it and my maple bat up at the same time you'd swear they're not from the same planet.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That's quite nice. Do you have plans for this?

I shamelessly stole most of the dimensions from a West Elm product http://www.westelm.com/products/mid-century-nightstand-g565/ , who in turn borrow their designs from the 50s. Except I mis-measured and my box/shelf area is 2 inches taller and mine is solid walnut instead of veneer, which is what most MCM stuff seems to be made of.

I can draw up some detailed plans if you really need it, but I can tell you the main box is 3/4" thick walnut, and the dimensions are 10" tall and 15" deep and 18" wide ( I think the link above is only 8" tall or so). With legs the table top is at 24" height. In the back is a 1/2" thick panel of the same walnut resting in a dado around the interior.

The bevels on the front for that "cut yourself on furniture" look is 30 degrees. Then each panel is glued up with 45 degree miters and a hidden spline. The spline makes it super easy to assemble and adds strength since it would be end grain to end grain. I used a 1/4" router bit on the router table for the splines - holding the mitered edges flush to the table and plunge cutting. I am slightly concerned about it splitting over time at this point but only time will tell, the grain direction is all the same but I'm not sure how the spline will affect it :shrug:

For the legs, I glued up stock and eyeballed the taper, which is only on 1 dimension. Then I put hanger bolts into the top of the legs and those attach to top plates, which are common at hardware stores like these - http://www.atgstores.com/products/v...0150413111928:s

Screwed the legs in then leveled them off. Finish is just 3 coats of gloss varnish and then paste wax. Drawer itself is baltic birch with walnut front, easy to make to suit if you want two drawers etc.

EDIT: And the top plates are quite sturdy, you just have to make sure you get the shoulder of the legs tight against the metal to prevent play.

Sylink fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 13, 2015

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

extra stout posted:

I was lucky enough to be given a wood shop tour by a local 90 year old man who built a lot of the houses and at least one church in the area, lots of interesting huge saws I knew nothing about and a lot of old Collins and Plumb axes, a chisel the size of a large arm from the 1800s that he put a new haft on, I had asked him about making my own baseball bat with a lathe but he doesn't use a lathe anymore.

So the guy hands me a piece of wood that he's had sitting around, says he thinks it's hornbeam and challenges me to try and make the bat out of it. I don't want to disappoint a cool old man, so I'm going to try to work with this even though I only do greenwood with hand tools. Despite being 3" too short to be a proper bat (it's 29" x 2.4" x 2.5") it weighs almost five pounds. I'm only able to identify trees and I'm poo poo at doing it with timber, so if you could give me a guess I'd appreciate it. It'll be hard I imagine since these are cell phone pictures of a single piece of timber. It also seems heavier than it should be for how dry and cracked it is, google says hornbeam/ironwood is only maybe 20 percent heavier than maple but when I pick it and my maple bat up at the same time you'd swear they're not from the same planet.

There are a lot of species that people call hornbeam and even more that people call ironwood. My guess would be American hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana). I wouldn't count on it being completely dry even though the ends are checked, a stave of that size can take years to air dry. People used to make handplane soles out of it so maybe you could make some planes for yourself.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sylink posted:

I shamelessly stole most of the dimensions from a West Elm product http://www.westelm.com/products/mid-century-nightstand-g565/ , who in turn borrow their designs from the 50s. Except I mis-measured and my box/shelf area is 2 inches taller and mine is solid walnut instead of veneer, which is what most MCM stuff seems to be made of.

I can draw up some detailed plans if you really need it, but I can tell you the main box is 3/4" thick walnut, and the dimensions are 10" tall and 15" deep and 18" wide ( I think the link above is only 8" tall or so). With legs the table top is at 24" height. In the back is a 1/2" thick panel of the same walnut resting in a dado around the interior.

The bevels on the front for that "cut yourself on furniture" look is 30 degrees. Then each panel is glued up with 45 degree miters and a hidden spline. The spline makes it super easy to assemble and adds strength since it would be end grain to end grain. I used a 1/4" router bit on the router table for the splines - holding the mitered edges flush to the table and plunge cutting. I am slightly concerned about it splitting over time at this point but only time will tell, the grain direction is all the same but I'm not sure how the spline will affect it :shrug:

For the legs, I glued up stock and eyeballed the taper, which is only on 1 dimension. Then I put hanger bolts into the top of the legs and those attach to top plates, which are common at hardware stores like these - http://www.atgstores.com/products/v...0150413111928:s

Screwed the legs in then leveled them off. Finish is just 3 coats of gloss varnish and then paste wax. Drawer itself is baltic birch with walnut front, easy to make to suit if you want two drawers etc.

EDIT: And the top plates are quite sturdy, you just have to make sure you get the shoulder of the legs tight against the metal to prevent play.

Hah, yours ended up looking more period than theirs :). I'll add that nightstand to 'the list'....
For mitered splines, I was recommend using a biscuit joiner and with a 1/2" back panel, I don't think you have to worry about the strength.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I dont have a biscuit joiner so I just cut 1/4" thick strips and make a dado in each piece, essentially. I also used that to align the sides when I was gluing up the panels prior to cutting them to size. Even if I had corner clamps I would probably do it that way because alignment is so much easier than trying to fiddle with it.

And yah, I love that furniture sites have to list dimensions which makes it easier for me to plan designs. I'm terrible otherwise. And I really like MCM style, mostly due to simplicity so I can make a lot of it, compared to dressers etc with lots of moldings and shaped edges.

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010
I'm totally new to woodworking, and up to this point I've been guessing. I bought a saw, and then found that it's really hard to cut accurately without any kind of workbench to work on. So I've decided to stop guessing and actually read about it. I bought a 24" Irwin Marathon Fine saw. It seems to cut things relatively quickly but I thought maybe I needed a different kind of saw for joining wood. Then I bought a book "Woodworking Wisdom and Know how" and it suggested a Dozuki saw or a Dovetail saw, I bought a Dozuki. I really hope I'm not buying redundant saws :(.

Yesterday I bought these things based on the suggestions in the book and some of the thread.
----
Eagle America 415-9307 Dovetail Marker
iGaging Premium Marking Knife
iGaging Wheel Marking Gauge with 1/32nd & 1mm scale
Dozuki Dovetail Saw
Neiko 6-Inch Digital Caliper
Joint Book: The Complete Guide to Wood Joinery

I still need chisels, clamps, more measuring tools, and some kind of work bench to clamp things to. I'm a total beginner so I doubt I need the best tools, but I'd at least like to have the right tools for the job. The area I'm currently stuck on is the workbench, I have no idea what is a reasonable amount to spend on one, or where I would buy one.I'm not sure I can genuinely start without a workbench, it seems like every time I try to cut the wood moves. For a near term goal, I'd like to be able to eventually make things like tables and boxes that don't look like safety hazards, or wood vomit.

Tools that I'm looking to buy next from reading a post from another person getting started itt. I realized instead of buying I should ask if this is actually an effective use of my money. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stanley 16-401 Bailey Chisel Set, 5-Piece by Stanley $69.98
Incra BNDRUL12 12-Inch Incra Precision Bend Rule $19.23
Incra RULE18 18-Inch Incra Rules Marking Rule $24.95
Stanley 46-071 Premium Quick Square Layout Tool $5.97
TEKTON 3161 Rubber Mallet Set, 3-Piece $14.99

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I mostly got into woodworking with power tools but I can comment briefly on my lovely chiseling - before you drop mad cash on chisels watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tt-VjwqI

I would suggest just getting whatever cheap set that isn't complete poo poo at your local hardware store sells then sharpening them. Thats what I have and they are great once sharpened.

And I would personally skip the bend rule, I have one and never use it compared to a combination square that I use all the time and calipers. In fact, my quick square, combo square , and calipers get the most use next to a tape measure.

And try to find some local place that sells used tools or scour craigslist if you have that around you, you can save money and get more tools that way!

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010

Sylink posted:

I mostly got into woodworking with power tools but I can comment briefly on my lovely chiseling - before you drop mad cash on chisels watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tt-VjwqI

I would suggest just getting whatever cheap set that isn't complete poo poo at your local hardware store sells then sharpening them. Thats what I have and they are great once sharpened.

And I would personally skip the bend rule, I have one and never use it compared to a combination square that I use all the time and calipers. In fact, my quick square, combo square , and calipers get the most use next to a tape measure.

And try to find some local place that sells used tools or scour craigslist if you have that around you, you can save money and get more tools that way!

Interesting, any tips on the workbench, or kinds of clamps? Are there any particular brands I should avoid?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Voronoi Potato posted:

Interesting, any tips on the workbench, or kinds of clamps? Are there any particular brands I should avoid?

A workbench is a great project. Consider building one.

All types of clamps have their use, buy a couple of each one and find which ones you like that cater to your style. I have a few quick clamps, several F clamps and a whole bunch of pipe clamps.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think the tools depend on what you are building, as well. Are you making furniture or tiny boxes ?

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010

Meow Meow Meow posted:

A workbench is a great project. Consider building one.

All types of clamps have their use, buy a couple of each one and find which ones you like that cater to your style. I have a few quick clamps, several F clamps and a whole bunch of pipe clamps.

I might be missing something critical and this feels like a stupid question. A lot of the resources on how to build a basic workbench involve circular saws, I only have hand saws. How do I precisely cut the wood without anything to clamp the wood against, or place the wood on? It feels really dumb and wrong to hold the wood in my hands while sawing it with the other hand. In my workspace there are no tables, only cement floors and I can't go sawing wood in the dining room. While I like the bootstrap spirit of making a workbench, I don't really have a good idea of how to start.

edit: I'd like to be able to do both, ideally.Small boxes, and small furniture similar in size to one of the end tables on this page. I'm not sure if that's feasible, if I have to choose I'd go with furniture.

Voronoi Potato fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 14, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Voronoi Potato posted:

I might be missing something critical and this feels like a stupid question. A lot of the resources on how to build a basic workbench involve circular saws, I only have hand saws. How do I precisely cut the wood without anything to clamp the wood against, or place the wood on? It feels really dumb and wrong to hold the wood in my hands while sawing it with the other hand. In my workspace there are no tables, only cement floors and I can't go sawing wood in the dining room. While I like the bootstrap spirit of making a workbench, I don't really have a good idea of how to start.

edit: I'd like to be able to do both, ideally.Small boxes, and small furniture similar in size to one of the end tables on this page. I'm not sure if that's feasible, if I have to choose I'd go with furniture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2ZiNs_Wek

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Voronoi Potato posted:

Look at Paul Sellers videos. He is a good resource for someone who wants to primarily use handtools. In particular look at his workbench building videos.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Voronoi Potato posted:

Build a bench to build that bench on?

Serious answer, for general cross cutting, bring a dining room chair or kitchen chair to your shop to saw the wood on, or even use an exterior step or ledge. Use your weight, a foot, a knee, or sit on it to stabilize the wood while you saw. Bonus project, build a proper saw bench or pair using the above technique, the saw bench will be nicer to use than anything above and it'll aid with building the workbench or anything shop related.

This is the saw bench I built for when I want to use my handsaws for general cross cutting: http://blog.lostartpress.com/2008/02/17/free-construction-drawings-for-the-2008-sawbench/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Voronoi Potato posted:

And this is why my first bench was wobbly and not particularly square. My second one is a lot better and I didn't even use my first bench - I used a pair of sturdy sawhorses with a plywood sheet. Enough clamps and it will keep things firm enough for bench making.

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks so much for taking my simple questions :). I might start with the sawbench and work up to paul's workbench :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Aaaand...I've just watched over 2.5 hours on building a workbench.