Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Political Whores posted:

It's easier to muddy the waters with abortion.

Yeah pretty much. If you haven't been raised to inherently hate them, gays are just normal people who don't bother you. It's way easier to accept that than the idea of sucking a future-baby out of a woman not being somehow wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that was my point. Abortion will always be controversial. I don't think gay marriage/gay rights will be for much longer. Just look at their latest strategy to spin their bigotry as 'religious freedom'. Not only did it blow up in their face, but pushing versions of the RFRA may actually have the unintended effect of increasing the pace in the push for workplace protections for LGBTQ people.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I can get how someone believes anything from a fertilized egg on up to be a real actual alive baby and thus consider any abortion murder. While they're factually incorrect, there's at least some logical basis to it. With gays it's literally "this holy book kinda sorta says this is bad so I'm gonna die on that hill"; anyone who can be swayed is coming around sooner or later.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I feel like women's rights in general face an uphill battle because to the current generation it's just really hard to sell that gay marriage affects you as a straight person in any meaningful way. Women's rights are still rather easily pushed as "women want to take rights away from men! Don't listen to those harpy lies!"

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel like women's rights in general face an uphill battle because to the current generation it's just really hard to sell that gay marriage affects you as a straight person in any meaningful way. Women's rights are still rather easily pushed as "women want to take rights away from men! Don't listen to those harpy lies!"

Hardly any of the pro-life arguments look like that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Series DD Funding posted:

But seeding distrust about other women's rights issues causes men to doubt this, too. E.g. shouldn't men get a say in abortion it's their kid too!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doesn't stop them from using poorly reasoned and misinformed arguments.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

E.g. shouldn't men get a say in abortion it's their kid too!
-teenage me

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Abortions for anyone who wants them at any point in their pregnancy, even if they're in labor, that's what I say. Because someone getting an abortion casually is as big a myth as welfare queens. If someone is trying to get an abortion in the final week it's because they loving NEED it.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

A local Pentecostal megachurch that my brother attends told everyone to vote for repeal and gave them campaign materials. They can get upwards of 9000 people attending on Sundays. :eyepop:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its also a lot easier to backdoor ban abortion with regulations and the like. I don't see how the right is going to put the gay marriage cat back in the bag

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

True. But unlike abortion I don't see how you can fight a long term campaign against gay marriage when it will just become more accepted over time. It's hard to spin bigotry as something it's not.

The same way the anti-abortion movement has labeled themselves as "pro-life" while also including a large number of people who support the death penalty?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

No Pants posted:

A local Pentecostal megachurch that my brother attends told everyone to vote for repeal and gave them campaign materials. They can get upwards of 9000 people attending on Sundays. :eyepop:

Yeah, but the repeal only won by a thousand votes. So either the evangelicals don't care enough or the thoughts on gay marriage are beginning to swing in their favor even in this lovely town.

Still, my cousin is trans. She actually had a group of teenagers corner her at the mall and sling insults and crap at her for awhile. With this ordinance gone I'm starting to worry that it's going to get worse for her before things get better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RagnarokAngel posted:

But seeding distrust about other women's rights issues causes men to doubt this, too. E.g. shouldn't men get a say in abortion it's their kid too!
I swear it's not helping that there are a lot of women on the right fighting against women's equality. It started with Phillis Schafly somehow managing to lie enough to dumb people which eventually killed the ERA (which when she started out opposing it was nearly about to be law).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

25 people under the age of 30 will show up, confused as to why it's a protest AGAINST gay marriage.

Ahaha I would have been one of them. I didn't realize what it was really saying until I read your post.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ponzicar posted:

Isn't there a big generational difference for acceptance of gay marriage, while there isn't one for abortion? Which means that the people currently fighting against gay marriage will grow old and die off, and most of their children and grandchildren will be accepting of it. Abortion however, will still be a big issue decades from now.

Yes which is why saying "See it's just like abortion!" is disingenuous as gently caress.

But some autist savant said a bunch of words and people latched onto it :jerkbag:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Ahaha I would have been one of them. I didn't realize what it was really saying until I read your post.

The image gave it away for me.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Holy God in Heaven am I sick of this derail. Mainly because not a single loving poster has anwered either A: what the gently caress we should do about the conservatives pushing back against same sex marraige (;)) and, if you don't have a suggestion for what we should do about hypothetical than why should we care other than crowning you King Right of Righton or B: given an abortion-like example of a "SSM rollback" that they would try to push because, as far as I can see, if you amend "marriage" to mean "two consenting adults" you really can't change "marriage rights" without affecting or effecting (I forget which because I'm frustrated by this bullshit) straight couples too.
Every time this thread pops up I say "Hey! Has something happened in the world of civil rights??" but, instead, it's Comic Book Guy going "Um actually..." all over the loving place like anyone fucks a give.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The image gave it away for me.

Yes it should have tipped me off, but when I see red high heels, "straight woman in her approved gender role" is not the first place my mind goes ;)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CommieGIR posted:

The more these guys talk, the more I get the feeling that they would love to have a lawless outbreak, so that they could establish their own government. They say these things, and all I see is a bunch of evangelicals masturbating to the idea of Civil War 2

There's nothing these people want more than to be the Christianist Taliban.

Well, except for the entire world to be run with misery, fear and pain under their glorious and divine rule.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
To get this thread back on track a little, the President is of the opinion that gay conversion therapy is bad and we probably shouldn't be doing it. This is in response to a petition to enact a ban on conversion therapy, mind, but it's a nicely written message that references poor Leelah Alcorn and calls for kindness in dealing with LGBTQ+ folk.

You'd think this would be a relatively uncontoversial issue, but considering all the states where bans on GCT failed or are being stalled indefinitely... it would seem it still is. :smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Abortions for anyone who wants them at any point in their pregnancy, even if they're in labor, that's what I say. Because someone getting an abortion casually is as big a myth as welfare queens. If someone is trying to get an abortion in the final week it's because they loving NEED it.

There's already an exception for medical reasons in most abortion laws.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

There's already an exception for medical reasons in most abortion laws.

Oops, I thought I was in the April politics thread when I posted that earlier. I'll respond in there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

resurgam40 posted:

To get this thread back on track a little, the President is of the opinion that gay conversion therapy is bad and we probably shouldn't be doing it. This is in response to a petition to enact a ban on conversion therapy, mind, but it's a nicely written message that references poor Leelah Alcorn and calls for kindness in dealing with LGBTQ+ folk.

You'd think this would be a relatively uncontoversial issue, but considering all the states where bans on GCT failed or are being stalled indefinitely... it would seem it still is. :smith:

Oklahoma's "Freedom to Obtain Conversion Therapy Act," since renamed the "Parental and Family Rights in Counseling Protection Act," made it out of a house committee but hasn't made it to a full house vote yet.

The original version was 100% Sally Kern:
- included any efforts to "change behaviors or gender expressions or to reduce or eliminate sexual or romantic attractions or feelings toward the same sex."
- included pastors and youth ministers in the definition of mental health provider.

The current version is still bad, but at least:
- prohibits aversion therapy
- uses a standard (though expansive) definition of mental health provider.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's my right as an American to be bled with leeches to cure a cold and drink radium water for vim and vigor, when is Oklahoma going to protect that right.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

No Pants posted:

I'm of the firm belief that any church that tries to do poo poo like this should lose their church based tax exempt status

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Although it's deplorable for mega churches to encourage their rich waspy congregation to poo poo on other people's rights, churches have been a huge driving force behind minority voting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm of the firm belief that any church that tries to do poo poo like this should lose their church based tax exempt status

I disagree. No church should have tax exempt status anyway.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

greatn posted:

I disagree. No church should have tax exempt status anyway.

Quoted for truth.

They are business's like any other. If they have a charitable wing, that can be used for a tax deduction, but the organization should still be beholden to the same tax laws as any other business of a similar size.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

It's my right as an American to be bled with leeches to cure a cold and drink radium water for vim and vigor, when is Oklahoma going to protect that right.

To be fair nobody really has a problem with you loving up your poo poo. Conversion camps are only really sad and tragic when forced, like parents forcing it on their kids to "fix" them.

I knew a guy who was forced into one. He's still gay as hell but now has a deep desire to be castrated.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Although it's deplorable for mega churches to encourage their rich waspy congregation to poo poo on other people's rights, churches have been a huge driving force behind minority voting.

Not mega churches though. They're too busy building sidewalks and walls with bibles built into them, so that they can never be read. And big butter Jesus of course.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ponzicar posted:

Isn't there a big generational difference for acceptance of gay marriage, while there isn't one for abortion? Which means that the people currently fighting against gay marriage will grow old and die off, and most of their children and grandchildren will be accepting of it. Abortion however, will still be a big issue decades from now.

I think it largely comes down to this: if you believe abortion is equivalent to infanticide, the harm caused by it is anything but abstract. For same-sex marriage, even the most ardent opponents can't point to anything but abstract consequences for society as a whole.

The entire pivot to "religious freedom" reflects a tacit acknowledgement of this on the part of the anti-gay right - that opposition same-sex marriage can no longer be defended on its own merits.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

The entire pivot to "religious freedom" reflects a tacit acknowledgement of this on the part of the anti-gay right - that opposition same-sex marriage can no longer be defended on its own merits.

Exactly - it's code for "legal protection of my irrational actions, regardless of their effect on others."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It'd be easier and more likely to be upheld in court to remove all religious tax exemptions (and we probably should but good loving luck with that).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
And it's a slippery slope to getting rid of tax-exemptions in general.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Barry Convex posted:

The really funny thing is how you can look at the writings of people arguing "religious freedom" now and see that 10+ years ago they were just arguing straight up that freedom of association means it's OK to refuse to serve gays. Now they claim that absolutely no one would ever do that and this is all about gay wedding cakes and photographers and nothing else.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'd be easier and more likely to be upheld in court to remove all religious tax exemptions (and we probably should but good loving luck with that).

501c3s that preach politics do lose their status if the IRS files suit, and it's been repeatedly upheld.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

501c3s that preach politics do lose their status if the IRS files suit, and it's been repeatedly upheld.

Can you cite some? Because the GOP has gone out of their way to legally limit the depth of IRS investigations.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

They can preach about viewpoints, they can't preach for or against a specific candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Can you cite some? Because the GOP has gone out of their way to legally limit the depth of IRS investigations.

Read starting at page 10: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/branch_ministries.pdf

Generally nothing happens for minor violations, but that's not unique for the 501 rules. They're quite strict and revocation proceedings (under any circumstances) are difficult to prosecute.

• Locked thread