Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PuntCuncher posted:

I'd drive the everliving poo poo out of the AZ-1 totally shamelessly.

Anyone who wouldn't is stupid and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Memento posted:

Haven't seen one of these in years, snapped it today at my local shopping centre. Click for big.

That body kit, :barf:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

88h88 posted:

Anyone who wouldn't is stupid and wrong.

You probably wouldn't fit. I've driven a cappuccino and I had to tilt my head to the side because the roof was too low and my knees touched the steering wheel. I can't imagine the AZ-1 is any better.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Just posted on the Roadkill Facebook. I continue to believe they lurk this thread sometimes :tinfoil:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Based on other stuff they've posted recently, I'm fairly sure that's a lowrider with offroad tires.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

boxen posted:

Based on other stuff they've posted recently, I'm fairly sure that's a lowrider with offroad tires.

Even better! Hydraulics to help get over rocks and other obstacles :v:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

boxen posted:

I knew there was something off yet familiar about that camber in the front.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
All this baja talk reminds me of this 1930 Model A Mail Truck:

I'd love to build something like that into a baja beast. :getin:

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

I knew there was something off yet familiar about that camber in the front.

I assume that's so the camber ends up nearer to zero when it's low?

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

boxen posted:

This was how teenage me drove everywhere in GTA:SA

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

POKEMAN SAM posted:

I assume that's so the camber ends up nearer to zero when it's low?

It's cute that you think lowrider builders give a gently caress what the camber is at any specific ride height.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MrYenko posted:

It's cute that you think lowrider builders give a gently caress what the camber is at any specific ride height.

lol I was going to say that alignment would be stuff of nightmares.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Root Bear posted:

All this baja talk reminds me of this 1930 Model A Mail Truck:

I'd love to build something like that into a baja beast. :getin:

I'm glad someone else posted this so I don't have to.

Also,

Awful picture because I didn't notice till too late, but here is a subaru forester with a lift and BFG MTs, seen in Newington CT

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RIP to Mr. Strange

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Slavvy posted:

You probably wouldn't fit. I've driven a cappuccino and I had to tilt my head to the side because the roof was too low and my knees touched the steering wheel. I can't imagine the AZ-1 is any better.

...this is why I want a Beat. I'd drive it with the roof down. :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm considering taking ownership of my great-grandfather's Model A truck. It's a 1928 with an extended bed made of oak and in excellent condition. Still has the original worm gear drive rear end and is basically useless unless you're going very slow. Thoughts?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Use it to go very slow and look cool. Why would you not have it?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

88h88 posted:

Use it to go very slow and look cool. Why would you not have it?

Getting it anywhere without a rear end that will do highway-ish speeds is a challenge, so towing it is the only option over long distances. My brother will store it for me until I buy a place here in CA (been on the to-do list for a long time) and I feel like it's right considering that it's a family heirloom.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Das Volk posted:

Getting it anywhere without a rear end that will do highway-ish speeds is a challenge, so towing it is the only option over long distances. My brother will store it for me until I buy a place here in CA (been on the to-do list for a long time) and I feel like it's right considering that it's a family heirloom.

Do it, trailer it as needed. Looks like I'm going to be going that route with the MG TC if I can ever find time to go pick it up. Old family heirloom cars are very worth holding onto.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Das Volk posted:

I'm considering taking ownership of my great-grandfather's Model A truck. It's a 1928 with an extended bed made of oak and in excellent condition. Still has the original worm gear drive rear end and is basically useless unless you're going very slow. Thoughts?

uh yah do it obviously. You can find a nice group of old men to go ripping through the countryside and use that truck for what it was intended for. I'm about two garage spaces short of having a Model T of my own.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Das Volk posted:

While I don't understand the rationale behind making a rear-end that works like this, the old drawings of how this worm drive works sure are cool:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

bennyfactor posted:

While I don't understand the rationale behind making a rear-end that works like this, the old drawings of how this worm drive works sure are cool:

The only benefit to that design as I can see it is the one they don't appear to be using. Which is that if it was upside down from how it is pictured, the prop shaft could sit significantly lower, increasing space in the passenger compartment by virtue of not needing a transmission tunnel in the floor plan...

EDIT: It would also keep the worm drive better lubricated.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ReelBigLizard posted:

The only benefit to that design as I can see it is the one they don't appear to be using. Which is that if it was upside down from how it is pictured, the prop shaft could sit significantly lower, increasing space in the passenger compartment by virtue of not needing a transmission tunnel in the floor plan...

EDIT: It would also keep the worm drive better lubricated.

Don't forget that roads in the early 20th century were poo poo. Good clearance means a lot on rutted roads from skinny tires.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Das Volk posted:

Being a domestic you will kill it :(
Or maybe wish you were dead because you don't "do" slow.

bennyfactor posted:

Wow. That's a crawler. Something you would do for ridiculous torque requirements.
Why did they do that?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 10, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slavvy posted:

Suck it tall people.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Fo3 posted:

Being a domestic you will kill it :(
Or maybe wish you were dead because you don't "do" slow.

Wow. That's a crawler. Something you would do for ridiculous torque requirements.
Why did they do that?

That'll make quite the odd pairing in the garage, at least. My dad said that the worm gear drive was basically them overbuilding the thing, and given the gearing ratios it's not too surprising to see. The trucks were meant for farm duty in many cases, so I think high torque was a priority.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

StanceWorks have been covering a shitload of cool builds lately. This one is no exception.

Rally prepped oldschool Celica :flashfap:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

My buddy's bugeye WRX wagon. He threw some Forester suspension bits on it for a lift and takes it everywhere. He tows his quads with it, he takes it on roadtrips to Idaho and Utah, he rallycrosses it, autocrosses it, has drag raced it, etc. I've been airborne in this WRX.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://bringatrailer.com/2015/04/08/martini-superwide-holbert-racing-1980-porsche-924-turbo/
This is pretty loving awesome.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Dope as hell.

We had a white 78 Wolfsburg Edition 924 (yeah I know) with the same stripes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

I'm 6'2", and the only issue I have with space in my Cappo is due to me being too drat fat, not height.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

New Roadkill is up. Putting that Dodge sponsorship to good use while it lasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOQe1hWvX_c

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Collateral Damage posted:

Utterly magnificent.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here is the Deuce, driven by Sneaky Deek

e- lol goddamn that's a large man

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 11, 2015

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

That was amazing. :allears:

Subaru should take note. That's how you do a sponsorship.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And they say modern drugs are stronger than they used to be :smugbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'd have to be on drugs to stop making poo poo like that, QED. :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Das Volk posted:

You live in the bay area right? When are you going over 30 anyhow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

All this chat of old computer car games and nobody brings up STUNTS? For shame.
I fondly remember the Porsche March Indy top gear glitch where the car would never slow down, even on grass or mud.