Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I just searched by opponent and found all the guys I know who have been to Pro Tours. My LGS community is small enough that I know their names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Overall record: 56-83-7
Win percentage ignoring draws: 40.287770
Win percentage including draws: 38.356164

No one ever listen to my advice. I'm demonstrably bad at this game.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't know how to make the history thing work. :(

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I just searched by opponent and found all the guys I know who have been to Pro Tours. My LGS community is small enough that I know their names.

Oh, I missed that that was an option on the e-peen site, I thought it was a wizards thing.

I crushed this fucker a lot look at this:

<BYE>:
Overall record: 23-0-0
Total number of matches: 23
Win percentage ignoring draws: 100.000000
Win percentage including draws: 100.000000

Also my highest win % by format is Sealed, which does not seem right at all. I guess because most of the sealeds I've done have been pre-releases and they're easy, cuz every Sealed major tournament I've gone to has sucked tremendously.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A 65% winrate against who?

Against PT field that is about right number at least. You can find pretty much consensus best players ever like Kai Budde and Jon Finkel around there. Naturally, I'd guess their percentage was a bit higher than that when they were in their prime.

Latest stats I could find were from before PT Journey into Nyx: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptjou14/stats1

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I won a draft today! Well, tied my first game and then won both second games so I narrowly got first. Went G/W with just a ton of two mana creatures. Collected Company, Myth Realized, 2 Pacifism, and 2 Epic Confrontation were pretty helpful as well. Only tied the first game because the other guy had Descent of Dragons at the perfect time and I had surprisingly little ability to deal with flying.

I want to tweak my RDW into that Gruul Deck Wins I keep seeing and almost have the manabase to do it. I actually need to find one more Mana Confluence but managed to trade for the other stuff so that's nice. I see people running 19 lands? 4 Mana Confluence, 4 Wooded Foothills, 10 mountains, and 1 Forest. The fetch lands with their thinning let you do that? Here's the list. After comparing it with some to those winning on MTGTop8 and whatnot I cut the 3 Heelcutters and a mountain for the Commands. That the right choice? I do like the Heelcutters but they did get cut to the sideboard fairly often without ever being drawn anyway. Super useful though.

Spells
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Wild Slash
4 Dragon Fodder

4 Atarka's Command

Creatures
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Lightning Berserker
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Zurgo Bellstriker

Sideboard:
2 Destructive Revelry
4 Roast
2 Outpost Siege
2 Hall of Triumph
2 Twin Bolt
3 Eidolon of the Great Revel

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Rinkles posted:

I've been curious how much of his extraordinary success was due to the smaller player base of the time, the less efficient creatures (less variance?), less organized professional teams, etc., versus his actual, unquestionable, ability.

His numbers seem almost statistically impossible nowadays.

Kai and his german group figured out proper format testing before everyone. He's a great player, and part of that was the preparation he put in.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Man, I often question why I run Cursecatcher mainboard instead of Cosi's Trickster, and then my last matchup at Modern night is Storm. :getin:

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Lunsku posted:

Against PT field that is about right number at least. You can find pretty much consensus best players ever like Kai Budde and Jon Finkel around there. Naturally, I'd guess their percentage was a bit higher than that when they were in their prime.

Latest stats I could find were from before PT Journey into Nyx: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptjou14/stats1

Yeah seconding the 'against the PT field', the best is ~65%. Or as one of the pro writers mentioned in one of their articles, drafting in preparation before the PT with, say, 8 guys from the Channel Fireball team, a good win rate over several drafts is really hard to get (versus your local store draft with various people).

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So, I am pretty terrible (and new!) at magic.

Overall record: 73-51-5
Win percentage ignoring draws: 58.870968
Win percentage including draws: 56.589147

EDIT: It seems I do alright in standard/draft, then terrible in sealed. 24 wins, 27 losses in it. :negative:

This stat thing is pretty cool. Thanks for linking it! :)

Samael fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 9, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Apparently I'm much better at magic now than I used to be.

Overall record: 240-125-18
Win percentage ignoring draws: 65.753425
Win percentage including draws: 62.663185

Now if I trim out all the time I was bad from the Invasion era:

Overall record: 211-83-17
Win percentage ignoring draws: 71.768707
Win percentage including draws: 67.845659

Apparently my local store is really soft in limited formats. Against the two local PT players I am 3-12-4 combined.

E: For the sake of completeness, here are my stats from only the bad era:

Overall record: 29-42-1
Win percentage ignoring draws: 40.845070
Win percentage including draws: 40.277778

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 9, 2015

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Overall record: 417-232-39
Win percentage ignoring draws: 64.252696
Win percentage including draws: 60.610465

Ouch.

At least, we're doing good against Kai, right?

vvv - Yeah, not a lot of glory to be had by the WER program there, sadly.

Lars fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 9, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It's sort of hilarious to me that the pro tour has the same match slips as a prerelease

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wezlar posted:

It's sort of hilarious to me that the pro tour has the same match slips as a prerelease

You use matchup slips at prerelease?! :aaaaa:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I haven't been to a live prerelease in a couple years but everyone around here loved the big prereleases so much that when they changed to having stores run them a couple stores got together and starred renting out a hall, so there were usually like 60-100 people playing.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Count Bleck posted:

I doubt this is unusual - it eases the logistics quite a bit. Dropping a slip in a empty boosterbox > "Hi judge-scorekeeper, I won 2-0 on table 51" "And you are?" "I'm .."

It also makes error-handling much easier if the judge have fat fingers when typing in the results.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Count Bleck posted:

Do you play at a store with only like 5 other people?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I hate it when players at our 12 man FNMs run into the sales floor, yell "2-0!" and then vanish while I'm ringing up a customer or eating my dinner. gently caress doing that at our 60+ person prereleases.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I hate it when players at our 12 man FNMs run into the sales floor, yell "2-0!" and then vanish while I'm ringing up a customer or eating my dinner. gently caress doing that at our 60+ person prereleases.

Thats extremely hosed up if true. They vanish? This poo poo is spooky man. Too many powerful cards have leaked into Standard. Wizards knew this would happen after their first two FFL testers just disappeared, but they printed Deathmist Raptor anyway

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Our store owners are very aggressive about getting people to write their match results on the paper, which is just the sheet of match slips not cut up, left on the counter at the front.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My store owner lets us input the results into the computer ourselves when it is usual FNMs, because the most we ever get is 8 people for drafts and 4-8 for Standard. GPTs, Prereleases and Game Days which have more people and that isn't allowed.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The LGS I frequent has just started using match slips and pairings boards and everything is much, much better (we get 20 at an absolute minimum, more usually 30+)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Do you play at a store with only like 5 other people?

Prereleases in my area are around 20-25 strong. Our store managers just have a guy man the computer to take scores :v:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Our FNMs are to the death, which has really cut down on paperwork and logistics.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

whydirt posted:

Our FNMs are to the death, which has really cut down on paperwork and logistics.

Retention rates have mysteriously dropped, and the vendors have been calling due to the disturbing lack of selling product.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 9, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

whydirt posted:

Single elimination! No holds barred! Only one survivor! My greatest victory achieved by forcing my opponent's deck down his throat through multiple Ashiok activations, and as he struggled for his last meagre breath through the wad of cardboard in his esophagus, I execute the coup de grace with the sharpened edge of his own foil Stormbreath Dragon!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Deofuta posted:

Retention rates have mysteriously dropped, and the vendors have been calling due to the disturbing lack of selling product.

It's actually really good for pack sales, because the lack of lingering nerd stank draws in the newbies.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Single elimination! No holds barred! Only one survivor! My greatest victory achieved by forcing my opponent's deck down his throat through multiple Ashiok activations, and as he struggled for his last meagre breath through the wad of cardboard in his esophagus, I execute the coup de grace with the sharpened edge of his own foil Stormbreath Dragon!

I personally just use a circular saw blade that sends their mind to the shadow realm. Much cleaner that way.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I pretty much run FNMs and Pre-Releases exactly like any other Comp REL tournament as far as logistics and structure are concerned. Players meeting, match slips, table numbers, pairings board, round timer, the whole shebang. It makes life so much easier. I've done it the wild and loose way and that's way more work.

gently caress trying to herd neckbeards to their matches or trying to enter results that are being screamed at you across the room, or trying to un-gently caress a draft that got messed up when some moron passed a stack of his drafted cards instead of a pack and no one noticed for 4 picks.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 9, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Yeah, I don't understand how you could possibly run a prerelease or FNM of any scale without match slips, a round timer, or table numbers. It's still amazingly useful for small tournaments, though. The only difference between large nights and small nights for us is that at small (<20 people, say) nights people don't really need to stick to assigned seating.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ciprian Maricon posted:

gently caress trying to herd neckbeards to their matches or trying to enter results that are being screamed at you across the room, or trying to un-gently caress a draft that got messed up when some moron passed a stack of his drafted cards instead of a pack and no one noticed for 4 picks.

My LGS was terrible about drafts getting hosed up with some people getting shorted cards and people training packs out the rear end that ended up getting passed out of sequence. The judge was doing basically zero supervision of the draft so some people were doing MODO sorting of their cards while they drafted or opening Khans first and nobody noticing until the pack almost wheels. Now that I have my L1 I've instituted zone drafting and actually watch what everyone's doing so I catch people who pull out the Fate duals with the token before the pack makes it halfway around the table. I've even printed up sheets of shame that have Magic card sized boxes that say "drafted" and "passing" for players who can't get out of the habit of training packs. All of a sudden the drafts are running much more smoothly :iiam:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Training packs? Do you kite the pack and DPS its cards before it reaches you or something?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

rabidsquid posted:

Thats extremely hosed up if true. They vanish? This poo poo is spooky man. Too many powerful cards have leaked into Standard. Wizards knew this would happen after their first two FFL testers just disappeared, but they printed Deathmist Raptor anyway

whydirt posted:

This is why the M:tG community is so toxic! We don't clean up our corpses and just let them produce miasma.

But seriously, I'm so glad now that I've only ever had experienced players to draft with. Reversing and fixing the process sounds completely impossible.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chill la Chill posted:

Training packs? Do you kite the pack and DPS its cards before it reaches you or something?

Training as in forming a choo-choo train with your passes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dr. Stab posted:

Training as in forming a choo-choo train with your passes.

Oh, yeah, that. Don't know why people do it cuz it's not like you're gonna finish your draft any faster. Must be the same types of people who start rolling forward during a red light.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BXCX posted:

All of a sudden the drafts are running much more smoothly :iiam:

It's crazy to me how many shops have Judges and run regular REL events like total rear end, there's a prevailing attitude that the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of FNM rules wise also needs to be extended to tournament structure or it wont be accessible. Kudos for stepping in and making things better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Overall record: 478-320-65
Win percentage ignoring draws: 59.899749
Win percentage including draws: 55.388181

Not as terrible as I expected...

They also call me The Prerelease Kid

Magic Prerelease:
Overall record: 68-35-7
Total number of matches: 110
Win percentage ignoring draws: 66.019417
Win percentage including draws: 61.818182

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Overall record: 478-320-65
Win percentage ignoring draws: 59.899749
Win percentage including draws: 55.388181

Not as terrible as I expected...

They also call me The Prerelease Kid

Magic Prerelease:
Overall record: 68-35-7
Total number of matches: 110
Win percentage ignoring draws: 66.019417
Win percentage including draws: 61.818182

What about legacy? Hyuck hyuck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

What about legacy? Hyuck hyuck.

Legacy:
Overall record: 50-39-8
Total number of matches: 97
Win percentage ignoring draws: 56.179775
Win percentage including draws: 51.546392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I wanna see my record too but I've forgotten both my login name and password and hitting the link to get an email sent from Wizards seems to be broken. :(

• Locked thread