Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The masterless glencour summon in the belltower kind of kills the fun. I mean it's one thing when you get a guy with his phantom. But to just give everyone a super tank, it's kind of lame. I frequently spawn in right next to him, too, so he basically gets a free shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

First playthrough trip report: I died once to the first boss and killed The Pursuer on my first try. I love how massive and confusing this game is. I didn't play DS1 blind and I'm really, really glad I'm going in completely blind this time. It makes item management completely different from the usual min/max bullshit you get from replaying it a million times.

I actually lost 20k souls to the optional pursuer early battle because I got launched off of the platform by a Turtle Knight on my run back. :allears: I love this game. It's also really nice that backstabs aren't the be all end all of every fight in the entire game.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'll ask again because no one replied last time: did they add the desert sorceress set to any of the vendors in SotFS, or make the sorceresses show up again later? Because they've cut them down from 4-5 to 2 in Earthen Peak, making farming the set way more annoying.

There are actually three of them in the Peak; the one you're missing is probably the sniper who throws fireballs from above the end of Harvest Valley. The other two were moved to Drangleic Castle, in the room with the lever leading back from the elevator path to the central bonfire.

victrix posted:

Once I have the +1/+2 versions of rings, its safe to sell off the others right?

Weaker versions of rings have less weight and more durability, so they could feasibly be good to have if a) all your item slots are spoken for and you need to get your equip load reduced by a fraction of a percent to keep your roll speed up or b) you're up against enemies or hazards that corrode your gear.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Tseldora wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to do something like 4 homeward bone runs to get all the items because there's so many that you have to drop to get, and they're on different specific paths so every time it takes another round to get another 1-2 items. They're things you don't want to miss like titanite and an estus flask shard and the southern ritual band + 1.

Once you unlock the door to the lower level bonfire, you don't ever have to homeward to get out of Tseldora unless you've dropped down into Freja's chamber. You can get back to the first open area with the bonfire and the white mage snipers from the second open area by making a running jump at the tiny dropdown ledge connecting to the room next to Ornifex's workshop (though it might take a few tries, depending on how cooperative the camera feels like being).

Orv
May 4, 2011
Someone is talking to me about how Forest Hunters is popping off in Steam DkS1 since the refit, and I realized that Souls 1 and Souls 2 are basically the same story. Nice, somewhat eccentric cat lady tells you to kill, you go "Yeah gently caress it, sure" and slaughter anyone who walks in/the entire country. Cats is some hosed up poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Orv posted:

Someone is talking to me about how Forest Hunters is popping off in Steam DkS1 since the refit, and I realized that Souls 1 and Souls 2 are basically the same story. Nice, somewhat eccentric cat lady tells you to kill, you go "Yeah gently caress it, sure" and slaughter anyone who walks in/the entire country. Cats is some hosed up poo poo.

Incidentally there's a group of stealthy forest bandits in both games. I miss the mushroom men though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kitfox88 posted:

So will you only get softbanned if you try to be a shitter and have a high SL with a low SM? I was hoping to just edit in some souls to buy items like poison arrows and whatnot since I didn't want to have to grind for them but if there's a chance I'll get dumped in the same pool as dudes that hack infinite health or 99 in every stat... :ohdear:

Basically I just want to do what I did in DS1 and not worry/power through the grind so much, so that I can focus on having fun.

There is absolutely nothing stopping someone editing a ring to give them 99 in every stat. The softban system cannot detect that.

That's the joke. It cannot detect the people with infinite HP or the like you say you'd be paired with. It basically only detects people who it thinks are messing with From's precious Soul Memory system...

...and more insidiously, people who have impossible items like Poison Binoculars. Which hackers can drop. Do the math.

Would you trust a red phantom or even a white phantom drop if you knew something they drop could softban you or crash out your game?

Oh yeah, did I mention that? From didn't fix the +14 weapon save corruption bug properly. They implemented a fix, but didn't test that it actually worked. You still can't trust that a phantom's drop won't destroy your save.

In sum: From are incompetent buffoons.

---

Verviticus posted:

is the softbanning effective? I've basically completely avoided pvp of any kind because the dozen or so times i did it in DS it was always against a superhacker and there was no point wasting 5 minutes to find them. now i tend to just hide and wait for them to give up while i browse forums or some poo poo

The softban system is completely unable to detect any significant cheating attempt.

For example, it cannot detect someone who creates an invisible projectile to instantly petrify you, break all your gear, and kill every NPC on the map.

It's completely and utterly worthless.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 9, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I just got invaded by the dark sorcerer navalaan npc, strafed behind him while he was facing a shade teammate and... died instantly. I didn't see any visual effect, I was at full hp. wtf did he hit me with?

edit: Dragon Aerie and Dragon Shrine are amazingly cool areas marred by unbelievably annoying dragon wing flapping noises :mad:

Also holy poo poo, I looked up what the giant seed did the other day, and today someone invaded while I was ascending the shrine so I said hey, I should use one of those! Dude didn't know wtf, he came down the stairs and got mauled by a drakekeeper, and then a blue phantom invaded as well :v: Good times.

victrix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

fennesz posted:

First playthrough trip report: I died once to the first boss and killed The Pursuer on my first try. I love how massive and confusing this game is. I didn't play DS1 blind and I'm really, really glad I'm going in completely blind this time. It makes item management completely different from the usual min/max bullshit you get from replaying it a million times.

I actually lost 20k souls to the optional pursuer early battle because I got launched off of the platform by a Turtle Knight on my run back. :allears: I love this game. It's also really nice that backstabs aren't the be all end all of every fight in the entire game.

I did the same thing, came in blind and it was a great decision. Working out what works best through experience is way better than reading a guide and finding the best way through the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Belfry sol has a summon too. Three grey phantoms punching the guy. Didn't even take him down to half health before someone accidentally punched the world master and killed it in one hit. Kind of ridiculous.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I wish I had to deal with belfry summons, instead of never being called to the belfry in the first place. I guess the player population in the belfry is way lower now that you need a fragrant branch to get in, which really sucks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Forest memories were absurdly cool, this game is really, really backloaded in quality.

Also they should have done more skirmish areas like that, because drat that's cool.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
To any of the people having trouble with the new durability bugs: you can get the Repair spell a lot earlier in the game now.
There's a chest in the shaded woods that's blocked by a lion warrior statue, forward and right from the bridge you start on. In it is Repair and another branch of yore.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tallgeese posted:

There is absolutely nothing stopping someone editing a ring to give them 99 in every stat. The softban system cannot detect that.

That's the joke. It cannot detect the people with infinite HP or the like you say you'd be paired with. It basically only detects people who it thinks are messing with From's precious Soul Memory system...

...and more insidiously, people who have impossible items like Poison Binoculars. Which hackers can drop. Do the math.

Would you trust a red phantom or even a white phantom drop if you knew something they drop could softban you or crash out your game?

Oh yeah, did I mention that? From didn't fix the +14 weapon save corruption bug properly. They implemented a fix, but didn't test that it actually worked. You still can't trust that a phantom's drop won't destroy your save.

---

The softban system is completely unable to detect any significant cheating attempt.

For example, it cannot detect someone who creates an invisible projectile to instantly petrify you, break all your gear, and kill every NPC on the map.

Dammit from. :suicide: I'm not too upset about just cheat-editing myself 99 of everything i want offline knowing they're that drat fool about their SM system. I hated the twink invasions in DS1 but I'd take them any day over this poo poo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

k, what the hell at the entire ending sequence. poo poo made no sense.

Oh well, I'll read up on that later, time to tackle DLC!

Oh, one query, someone said there was an optional final boss I fought Aldia after fighting Nashasdfjas queen, was that it? I have no idea what I did to trigger him if so.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tallgeese posted:

---

Please tell me you can make such a kind of projectile because :lol:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
They had them in Dark Souls 1 on the pc, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in 2. :shrug:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wish I had to deal with belfry summons, instead of never being called to the belfry in the first place. I guess the player population in the belfry is way lower now that you need a fragrant branch to get in, which really sucks.

How far into the game are you? I did some Bellbroing after clearing the Bastille to get some chunks and I got a ton of summons. Literally got summoned 3 times trying to make my way from the bonfire to Mcduff in order to upgrade my stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay so the slight alterations in the Forest of the Fallen Giants are cool. Where did the Heide Knight go though? I want that sword. Also that spot has one too many soldiers in it.

Also realized that i've never fought the turtle knights before until they placed one outside the cave to the fire longsword. In the normal version I just cheesed most encounters with them. He's not as bad as I though he'd be though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Where did the Heide Knight go though?

Don't worry, you'll find more than one of them soon enough!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Don't worry, you'll find more than one of them soon enough!

I fear nothing, now that they've given me a big fuckoff bastard sword really early.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010
What is the status of VAC in the game?

I used SweetFX in DS1 to add some slight color correction and sharpness filters to the game, but when I moved to DS2 I read that it uses VAC and might issue bans for such random dll injections so I stuck with the vanilla graphics. Googling now I noticed they actually removed VAC like a year ago "temporarily", but I can't find any news saying they've brought it back. Since the game's quite lightweight and the DX11 upgrade didn't add that much to the graphics, it'd be nice put some custom PP on top of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DS2 does not use VAC, neither the original nor SOTFS. The only cheat prevention is hard coded into the game by From but keep in mind that it is tied to your Steam account, so if you do trip a hacking flag you might have multiplayer restrictions put on you. The cheat prevention they put in is purely anti-hack stuff, so unless you use cheat engine or so on it'll be fine, graphics mods won't ever trigger anything.

edit: Also, this got added to the DS2 page a day or so ago:

The non-SOTFS version of DS2 (that is, the standard edition) has also had the link to the DX9 version of SOTFS removed and it's been added to the DX11 version's page. So all the people whining about From's ~underhanded scummy trickery~ with naming the DX9 and DX11 versions the same have had their complaints addressed. Good job From.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 9, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

victrix posted:

k, what the hell at the entire ending sequence. poo poo made no sense.

Oh well, I'll read up on that later, time to tackle DLC!

Oh, one query, someone said there was an optional final boss I fought Aldia after fighting Nashasdfjas queen, was that it? I have no idea what I did to trigger him if so.

As far as I know he's the optional boss. To trigger him you talk to him in all the locations he appears, kill Vendrick and then kill Nashandra (apparently the order of that is important).

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Duh I accidentaly posted this in the console thread...
I have a question for the new DSII version. If I'm in the Way of the Blue, will the game summon a bluecop for me, or the NPCs do not really count?
Also are the recolored weapons (which were available in the DX9 version for a limited time) still in the game?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

nekoxid posted:

Duh I accidentaly posted this in the console thread...
I have a question for the new DSII version. If I'm in the Way of the Blue, will the game summon a bluecop for me, or the NPCs do not really count?
Also are the recolored weapons (which were available in the DX9 version for a limited time) still in the game?

You mean if you're invaded by an npc? If so, no those don't cause blues to come help

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I had a blue come help me for an NPC red phantom once. At least, pretty sure it was an NPC.

He got to me just as I finished beating up the red phantom.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've had a blue help me once (still died). It was rather surreal. I also CE'd myself a shitton of red eye orbs and have been invading in between bellbro-ing. I've actually seen a fair amount of people get help from blues! Which is cool.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I also had a single blue come to my aid once. he vanquished the other spirit before I even saw either of them :banjo:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
got a blue cop summoned who was afk the whole time and had less health than i did at the time.

also i was trying to get the heide armour stuff yesterday, wearing nothing but the item discovery rags and the agape ring. i kept getting invaded all the time by some of the shittest players i have ever loving seen. being invaded used to mean something dammit. it used to instil fear! not fatrolling two-hits-and-they-are-dead wankers.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm doing pvp on the bridge, I'm like 75k away from being bumped into the 3-5 million soul category, and if some rear end in a top hat breaks my third dragon ring again I'm gonna be so miffed

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Earthen Keep is extremely real now drat

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

This was my stopping point for today.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ethanol posted:

I also had a single blue come to my aid once. he vanquished the other spirit before I even saw either of them :banjo:

I had one help me in Aldia's Keep. He got killed by the invader and then I killed myself with the giant basilisk just to get it over with since I had no chance. :sun:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It seemed easier to me, the changes were all good there. Fewer instadeath fire sorceresses at the top, mannakins at the second bonfire were less quick to aggro.

Really I think that second bonfire shouldn't be there, it'd be a better level without it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 9, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't know, those manikins seem a lot more aggressive now to me, and they hide out in more places to ambush you now. If you are playing through for the first time and don't see them ahead of time, it can end poorly.

Right after that, the Iron Keep is buffed up a bit too. More knights, and they are faster.

Speaking of faster, I do notice that they increased the move speed of some enemies, but didn't adjust the animations, so that they look very strange as they quickly glide over to you. The falconer hollows on the way to the shrine of winter are the most obvious offenders.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The end part of dragon shrine is annoying. What causes the guards to aggro? Mine aren't and I don't want them to, I've been summoned to a couple hosts that had the dragon guards attacking and holy poo poo that was lovely.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't know, those manikins seem a lot more aggressive now to me, and they hide out in more places to ambush you now. If you are playing through for the first time and don't see them ahead of time, it can end poorly.

I have much better luck reacting to mannakin ambushes than I do fighting sorceresses even when I know exactly where they are. That fire blast comes out super fast, and killed me in one hit every time.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
did they change the drop rates? i've spent hours trying to get the desert sorceress hood and skirt and i just keep coming away with multiple copies of the arms and chest. :| i keep farming those two near the bonfire in harvest valley though... maybe the ones up in the peak have them?

i really loving have a love/hate thing going on for these two areas but i am very curious to see if they changed the lift direction or not. i'm not sure but the skybox looks different at least, i didn't notice the volcano in the background before in the dx9 version.

also anyone know of a gedosato replacement yet for the dx11? i really really miss those texture replacement skyboxes and the green haze removal mods.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you see the message "Invaded by dark spirit (whatever)!" then you're eligible for bluecop assistance, whether it's another player invading you or an NPC.

Eventually.

It takes way too long for them to arrive for it to be useful in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Earthen was easier for me, but those Mannakin can go suck a dick, if they landed the first hit of their 4 hit combo they would stunlock me to death every single time. :argh:

They really went full retard with the statues, I've found like 2 branches of Yore total (had to buy one from Melentia to unfreeze fire girl), and from the top of my head I still have like 3 or 4 statues to revive.