Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ran into this fucker in Doha, Qatar:

Comes pretty close to one of those butt-ugly lvl 3 office/commercial towers, right?

Can't check cause I'm not anywhere near a PC that can run the game, but I guess this is where part of the devs' architectural 'inspiration' originated from :allears:

e: VVV maybe since it was taken from inside an air-conditioned car because gently caress the desert?

Koesj fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There's something up with the perspective and the level of detail, I keep seeing both buildings as ~100 ft tall when they're obviously not.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I'm really looking forward to that traffic light and yield/priority mod. Is there a mod that has turn lanes that end? Or at least one to make traffic not incredibly stupid? I've consistently had one lane always full of just trucks trying to turn left, and the rest of traffic blindly following behind them, not wanting to turn left, ignoring the other empty lanes. :psyduck:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I don't think I fully grasp the utility of pedestrian paths. Cims already walk along roads, right? So do you really gain anything by running paths far and wide? I can see using them as bridges to keep cims out of the crosswalk at busy intersections, but I don't get what people are doing when they spider them all over town (unless it's just to look cool/weird).

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Cims walk along roads, but don't cross roads except at crossings, and when they cross roads at crossings they impede traffic.

There might also be some stuff regarding movement speed on pavement and stuff?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
All of the above, and generally they often act as shortcuts.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
If only we were able to mod in terraforming presets, (e.g, highway flyovers and underground pedestrian paths. Doesn't have to be crazy, but basically earth plopabbles that would allow me to not need a pedestrian spider to attack my city.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Moridin920 posted:

They should be in the Steam folder: Steam\steamapps\workshop\content

There should be numbered folders in there, those correspond to games (so for example my Cities Skylines folder in there is '255710'), and all your mods should be in that folder. I'm pretty sure the numbers are the app ID of the game in Steam so your folder should be 255710, too.

Thanks for that. Would I be correct in assuming the numbered folders refer to workshop item IDs or some such?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Supraluminal posted:

I don't think I fully grasp the utility of pedestrian paths. Cims already walk along roads, right? So do you really gain anything by running paths far and wide? I can see using them as bridges to keep cims out of the crosswalk at busy intersections, but I don't get what people are doing when they spider them all over town (unless it's just to look cool/weird).

If you make roads in W or M shapes or whatever, it can be useful to connect the tips with footpaths. Or to cross highways. Basically, anywhere you don't want to run a road but where it still might be useful to go from point A to B.

I have several highway foot bridges with an absolutely massive amount of traffic. Footpaths are OP.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Koesj posted:

Ran into this fucker in Doha, Qatar:

Comes pretty close to one of those butt-ugly lvl 3 office/commercial towers, right?

Can't check cause I'm not anywhere near a PC that can run the game, but I guess this is where part of the devs' architectural 'inspiration' originated from :allears:

e: VVV maybe since it was taken from inside an air-conditioned car because gently caress the desert?

Wow those are some ugly loving buildings.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Sean posted:

With the thread title being "you should purchase this game, you won't regret this" I'm pretty sad. I own a Venue 8 pro and a Dell laptop--both of which are under the min. system requirements--so I imagine that I won't be able to run this game, meaning I will regret the purchase. :( Also, Intel Integrated Graphics aren't supported, so I guess even if my processors were faster I still would be hosed.

Even though the game looks pretty, I'm surprised that a city building game is intense enough that my lame computers can't run it. Has anyone had luck with running the game on a less-than-optimal system?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Cities: Skylines - YOU SHOULD PURCHASE THIS GAME, YOU WON'T REGRET THIS (unless you have a computer that doesn't meet the system requirements, in that case you should upgrade, and you won't regret upgrading your computer for this game)

It's not as catchy.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

uXs posted:

If you make roads in W or M shapes or whatever, it can be useful to connect the tips with footpaths. Or to cross highways. Basically, anywhere you don't want to run a road but where it still might be useful to go from point A to B.

I have several highway foot bridges with an absolutely massive amount of traffic. Footpaths are OP.

Yeah, that kind of stuff makes sense. I was just wondering if there was a compelling mechanical reason to make giant webs of them all over like some people do. It sounds like probably not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know about that. C:S is definitely a good game, but it's not in the "buy a new computer to play it" category. It's still a bit rough around the edges and the play depth isn't quite there.

I don't mean it's a bad game either, if you have a computer that can run it it's a 100% buy because there's definitely a lot of fun to be had. I just wouldn't drop $700 for the privilege.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Hubis posted:

New Map from Scotland Tom, who made the map I'm currently playing/really enjoying ( Powhatan Valley):

Tenasi River

It looks like it's got a really nice, claustrophobic-yet-expandable river valley city feel with lots of opportunity for some cool architectural elements.

Quoting myself to say I started a new city on this map, and it's really awesome. It's got some interesting puzzles in there for how you're going to run your road/rail connections, and it feels like the author really thought about what choices you'd be making around your city with each tile unlock so as to make it a somewhat interesting decision. Highly recommended.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

There needs to be a succession let's play.

Bring on Boatmurdered the City.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Oodles posted:

*demolishes poop-dam*

UNLEASH THE CRAP-PEN!

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Oodles posted:

This really needs to happen, considering you can name your citizens and buildings. It's not a true succession LP unless you flood the previous overseer's house with magma poop. Is there a mod to easily find citizens you've named? That'd make it easier to do this sort of thing.

\/\/\/ edit: I did manage to find FindIt, which lets you ctrl-F search for any named citizen or building, but I haven't personally tested it yet.

edit 2: anyone have good map ideas for a succession LP?

Penultimatum fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 9, 2015

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Penultimatum posted:

This really needs to happen, considering you can name your citizens and buildings. It's not a true succession LP unless you flood the previous overseer's house with magma poop. Is there a mod to easily find citizens you've named? That'd make it easier to do this sort of thing.

Theres a citizen tracker mod, but I dont know how well if at all that data would transfer- short of course manually sending the relevant files each time.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hubis posted:

Quoting myself to say I started a new city on this map, and it's really awesome. It's got some interesting puzzles in there for how you're going to run your road/rail connections, and it feels like the author really thought about what choices you'd be making around your city with each tile unlock so as to make it a somewhat interesting decision. Highly recommended.

Just getting started on this map myself and it looks like it's gonna be a ton of fun. Haven't needed to expand outside of the starting tile yet but it will be a tough call. How are you laying your stuff out?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm sticking with boring grid layouts until I really figure out what I'm doing, because I'm bad at cities:

I kept the one-ways coming off the highway, with the first block on the left commercial to insulate my residential from the main throughfare/industrial stuff.

I'm in the middle of re-zoning the first block on the industrial side as commercial; I'm needing more commercial space than I planned, don't want/need to expand the residential block yet and have plenty of space on the industrial side, so we'll see how that works out.

Traffic is pretty decent, the only red area is the first crossing from the highway and it's more of a 'high use' thing than congestion from what I can tell.

Is it just me or do you start need more fire stations/elementary schools/a high school well before you can afford to plonk all that crap down?

Also the behavior of power lines is annoying, sometimes a zoned block will 'hook' to one across a street but other times it won't, so you have to 'waste' space by putting a tower in the middle of your industry like I had to above.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I'm sticking with boring grid layouts until I really figure out what I'm doing, because I'm bad at cities:

I kept the one-ways coming off the highway, with the first block on the left commercial to insulate my residential from the main throughfare/industrial stuff.

I'm in the middle of re-zoning the first block on the industrial side as commercial; I'm needing more commercial space than I planned, don't want/need to expand the residential block yet and have plenty of space on the industrial side, so we'll see how that works out.

Traffic is pretty decent, the only red area is the first crossing from the highway and it's more of a 'high use' thing than congestion from what I can tell.

Is it just me or do you start need more fire stations/elementary schools/a high school well before you can afford to plonk all that crap down?

Also the behavior of power lines is annoying, sometimes a zoned block will 'hook' to one across a street but other times it won't, so you have to 'waste' space by putting a tower in the middle of your industry like I had to above.

That looks pretty much exactly like my first city.
The problems I had that you will likely have as well: putting commercial between residential and industry makes your commuter traffic mix with your goods traffic, which is terrible.
You don't have enough space for a proper ramp and bridge system once you convert the middle road to a highway (do that ASAP btw, intersections on highways are the worst).
I like zoning stuff so it doesn't get boxed in by a road (i.e. one more industrial zone on the southernmost road, next to the city limit) because then I can just put a power line in the influence zone of those outer buildings and be done with it.
Yeah, the buildings are pretty epensive in the beginning, if I use my level-up money for roads and poo poo, my cims just have to stay unhealthy for a few more weeks.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

WarLocke posted:

:gonk: Oh God use some frontage roads and dedicated on ramps for your industry or you're headed straight for disaster. You'll probably want to turn those initial highway stems into an expressway cutting through your city, so better to start planning now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Poizen Jam posted:

:gonk: Oh God use some frontage roads and dedicated on ramps for your industry or you're headed straight for disaster. You'll probably want to turn those initial highway stems into an expressway cutting through your city, so better to start planning now.

I knew I was bad at planning! :downs:

I'm experimenting with some additional options for traffic. Should probably buy the highway tile and move that little off-ramp that goes straight to my commercial/industry up so it feeds into the corner. And maybe put a whole new highway connection coming to/from industry itself?

Also, my landfill still has tons of capacity but I'm starting to get garbage pileups over in the residential bloc. Do they have a range limit? I don't want to put a stinky landfill next to my soccer moms. :ohdear:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Also, my landfill still has tons of capacity but I'm starting to get garbage pileups over in the residential bloc. Do they have a range limit? I don't want to put a stinky landfill next to my soccer moms. :ohdear:
Garbage collectors and hearses are very prone to traffic issues which makes for ridiculous wacky races around a filthy city with 10 hearses flying up on the curbs of every other building. It doesn't look too far away but they're having to go all the way through industry, commerce, over the middle bit (which will become a traffic nightmare soon) then over to those houses. Follow your garbage trucks around for a bit and see if they're getting into ridiculous convoys that get stuck in traffic and just...give up.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

WarLocke posted:

When you're placing a landfill (or any service) you'll see the roads highlighted in green fading out to grey further away - the green areas are those within its servicing reach with your current road setup. I would say that with a town your size you could put one probably anywhere and get full coverage.

It's generally a good idea to put them near big artery roads though and not buried behind high-traffic industry areas like your current one is.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
That traffic management mod looks fantastic!

Regarding the Traffic++ rants a few pages back - thanks for the tips. A solution that works for me was posted somewhere on Reddit, where you enable ghost mode on the mod, start a new city and save it. Then go back to main (unless of course it's broken your game to the point where you can't, hah!) and disable ghost mode, then load the saved new city, then from there directly load my main city. :suicide:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

As a counter-point, don't! Make a giant mess now and figure out how to fix it later, it's way more fun.

Captain Mediocre posted:

When you're placing a landfill (or any service) you'll see the roads highlighted in green fading out to grey further away - the green areas are those within its servicing reach with your current road setup. I would say that with a town your size you could put one probably anywhere and get full coverage.

It's generally a good idea to put them near big artery roads though and not buried behind high-traffic industry areas like your current one is.

It seems like service buildings will go far outside the green zone if needed. I think that's partially just a guideline for what's actually efficient, and also illustrates service coverage as it counts for determining coverage for building level-up calculations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is there any reason to not upgrade roads to grass/tree variants? They seem to buffer noise pollution, make people happier, up land value(?) and the only drawback is they maybe look a little samey and you lose the strings of parked cars...

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I've modeled several seedy low-end commercial buildings and over a dozen industrial props like conveyors and silos in Autodesk Inventor. Now I just need to figure out the next steps to get them in a playable form. I've never textured anything before.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still don't understand why so many service vehicles block the roads. Every building has a bunch of surface parking and infinite super secret internal parking. Why do trucks need to block the road when delivering? All these vehicles should drive "in" to the building just like a car, then drive back out when they are done. Or pull over in such a way as to not block the street, maybe giving on-street parking a use.

A truck blocking the road like that to make a delivery in an industrial area would get a ticket for blocking the road. Even most emergency vehicles tend to actually park rather than just drive nose first into the sidewalk.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reason posted:

Wow those are some ugly loving buildings.

dubai.txt

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Supraluminal posted:

As a counter-point, don't! Make a giant mess now and figure out how to fix it later, it's way more fun.

True. I think any proper experience with Cities: Skylines involves a city-wide genocide on the backs of incompetent traffic engineering, garbage, and poop-water intakes.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Is there any reason to not upgrade roads to grass/tree variants? They seem to buffer noise pollution, make people happier, up land value(?) and the only drawback is they maybe look a little samey and you lose the strings of parked cars...
They cost more, right? Not really an issue once you have the cash rolling in I guess.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

at the date posted:

I've modeled several seedy low-end commercial buildings and over a dozen industrial props like conveyors and silos in Autodesk Inventor. Now I just need to figure out the next steps to get them in a playable form. I've never textured anything before.

Yessssss. I want my seedy, Hell's Kitchens type areas.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

Just getting started on this map myself and it looks like it's gonna be a ton of fun. Haven't needed to expand outside of the starting tile yet but it will be a tough call. How are you laying your stuff out?

I built some residential along the cliff-line with commercial in the middle, and my industrial/utility went across the highway around the initial oil field. As I expended I zig-zagged a road down the notch in the hillside to the "south" (left of your initial highway) and then along the river down-stream to the riverbanks below. This gave me a few places to zone some ore mines along that road (conveniently close to the rail) and then room to expand out a ton of residential in the river valley. From there I continued to expand down-stream.

If you're careful, you can get a decent Hydro dam going along that first tributary.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I just deleted a bunch of roads because there were too many drat intersections (you can see how many in the north there, where I haven't deleted them yet).
How do I fill all this space without making a whole bunch of intersections?
I used to have all the roads as large roads, should I make them smaller so the cars prefer the bigger east-west roads?
One-ways are supposed to help but I have no idea how to set up a system here.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Got this game yesterday and played it pretty much non-stop since, didn't expect it to suck up as much time as it has. just finished my first traffic-abortion... the three level stack thing on the left is surprisingly effective, it used to be a totally gridlocked junction but now it's free flowing. the thing on the right was me converting a premade t-junction into a 4-way for future expansion. I'll probably neaten it up later but it's functional.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

I just deleted a bunch of roads because there were too many drat intersections (you can see how many in the north there, where I haven't deleted them yet).
How do I fill all this space without making a whole bunch of intersections?
I used to have all the roads as large roads, should I make them smaller so the cars prefer the bigger east-west roads?
One-ways are supposed to help but I have no idea how to set up a system here.

Assuming most of your traffic is going to/from the highway, try using two-lane road for east-west. That should funnel local traffic out to the big north/south roads with a straight shot to the highway.

You might actually want to keep the north/south roads spaced at 8 tiles for that, though, so you can make the blocks longer in that axis. That way you have fewer intersections on those roads.

If that's still not enough, you might need another level in your hierarchy, like one or two limited-access expressways through the whole district that you don't zone anything up against.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Supraluminal posted:

Assuming most of your traffic is going to/from the highway, try using two-lane road for east-west. That should funnel local traffic out to the big north/south roads with a straight shot to the highway.

You might actually want to keep the north/south roads spaced at 8 tiles for that, though, so you can make the blocks longer in that axis. That way you have fewer intersections on those roads.

If that's still not enough, you might need another level in your hierarchy, like one or two limited-access expressways through the whole district that you don't zone anything up against.

The problem is that besides the highway access, I have residential areas (mixed with commercial because I'm an idiot) both to the north and west that need access.
The hierarchy idea sounds good, do you mean something like this?

Where red connects with the other parts of my city and the highway and has no zoning.
If I do that, would it be okay traffic-wise to connect services (especially garbage) directly to that road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

I still don't understand why so many service vehicles block the roads. Every building has a bunch of surface parking and infinite super secret internal parking. Why do trucks need to block the road when delivering? All these vehicles should drive "in" to the building just like a car, then drive back out when they are done. Or pull over in such a way as to not block the street, maybe giving on-street parking a use.

A truck blocking the road like that to make a delivery in an industrial area would get a ticket for blocking the road. Even most emergency vehicles tend to actually park rather than just drive nose first into the sidewalk.
Because its a game and it needs some sort of wrench to throw in your well oiled traffic machine because as it currently is, there is no rush hour, festivals, sporting events, road construction/maintenance, seasonal workers, accidents, severe weather, presidential motorcades, etc.