Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
The latest chrome remote desktop update forces you to sync your browser. This is effectively kind of useless now as I don't want to sync my stuff on work/non-personal machines. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I ended up bringing a Chromebook to work everyday in the bag that I was already bringing to work everyday just for the five times a month I'd need to get on my home PC. I also set up my work Google account as a user on that Chromebook to do the opposite.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Chrome keeps crashing on my main desktop usually when I start it. And it's not just one tab crashing the whole browser crashes with Windows telling me that Chrome has crashed or is not responding.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with SP1
Chrome 41.0.2272.101 m (64-bit)

Edit: could uBlock be the culprit?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 26, 2015

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
uninstall / delete chromes settings folder, likely some bad setting or something bad in cache

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Is there a way to increase the size of the Chrome media player/timeline for audio/video? If I load a podcast in the browser, it's pretty much impossible to navigate to a specific area of the audio without skipping 17 minutes over a millimeter of screen space.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Celexi posted:

uninstall / delete chromes settings folder, likely some bad setting or something bad in cache

That seems to have fixed it thanks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What is this *.webp extension when saving images? :( It's really frustrating.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ThermoPhysical posted:

What is this *.webp extension when saving images? :( It's really frustrating.

Either you've found one of the ten people in the world who actually uses WebP, or you just got Googled into another bullshit experiment.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I've been having a problem with Chrome crashing with full screen video, so far I've only seen it on YouTube and Blip. It never crashes with Netflix. When it crashes the video freezes and the audio keeps going, if I click the screen, Chrome is gone and I'm at the desktop with the audio still going. I have to go into task manager and kill Chrome processes for Chrome to realize it crashed. Any ideas what's going on?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

Either you've found one of the ten people in the world who actually uses WebP, or you just got Googled into another bullshit experiment.

Pretty sure it's a mix of both. Basically any image I pull from Tumblr or Facebook is now some WebP poo poo. It's annoying.

I found an extension that lets me save as PNG for all webP images. It even does it if you do "Save As" or drag and drop. It's really loving annoying as apparently only Chrome can open it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty sure it's a mix of both. Basically any image I pull from Tumblr or Facebook is now some WebP poo poo. It's annoying.

I found an extension that lets me save as PNG for all webP images. It even does it if you do "Save As" or drag and drop. It's really loving annoying as apparently only Chrome can open it.

Try changing your user agent to Firefox or Safari for those sites. You can do that in the developer console or with an extension.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Not sure where to post this, but I'm having trouble uploading music to google music.

I'm using the website, and I add my files to upload. The processing music icon in the lower left appears and then...just disappears. The songs I've selected are never uploaded. Never had this problem before. I cleared chrome's cache, and uninstalled/re-installed the plugin but that didn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They definitely aren't in your library, right? It's not some matching thing where it decides it doesn't need to actually upload something it already has on its system

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

They definitely aren't in your library, right? It's not some matching thing where it decides it doesn't need to actually upload something it already has on its system

Correct, they're definitely not in my library.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is the audio indicator in the tab missing for anyone else? I just realized it disappeared, it must have been in the last couple of days. I just updated to 42.0.2311.68 beta-m about five minutes ago so it went away sometime prior to that.

Also, has anyone else had Chrome randomly and arbitrarily reload every single tab? I'll be in the middle of something like watching a YouTube video when, hands off keyboard and mouse, everything just reloads. Is there a log or something I can consult to see what might be causing this?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I'm new to Chrome (long time Opera user) so this might be a dumb question but it's bugging me. Is there some way to stop chrome from auto-completing when I type in the address bar? I've already unchecked "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar or app launcher search box" but that hasnt fixed the behavior. Using version 41.0.2272

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Karthe posted:

Is the audio indicator in the tab missing for anyone else? I just realized it disappeared, it must have been in the last couple of days. I just updated to 42.0.2311.68 beta-m about five minutes ago so it went away sometime prior to that.

Still there in my 41.0.2272.118 m version.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

DemonMage posted:

Still there in my 41.0.2272.118 m version.
I happened to notice after posting that the only tab lacking an audio indicator was the one I had Google Play Music loaded up in. A YouTube video I was just watching showed the little speaker icon like I was expecting. There must be something going on between GPM and Chrome.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Ah yeah, my music tab doesn't show a speaker icon. Never noticed if it did before or not, since it's pretty obvious if it's that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Heads up: the uBlock developer has changed. You may need to reinstall the extension to get updates. The new repository is https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock. The new developer is asking for donations for the project.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dpbjinc posted:

Heads up: the uBlock developer has changed. You may need to reinstall the extension to get updates. The new repository is https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock. The new developer is asking for donations for the project.

The last developer didn't ask for donations expressly so he could cut bait if the general public or some other aspect of the project became too much to deal with. We don't know if he was prescient or just knew himself well.

Really the most worrying change is that uBlock doesn't really have a Firefox guy anymore. (EDIT: They got a guy. I'm not sure there's anything to worry about at this point.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 3, 2015

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The last developer didn't ask for donations expressly so he could cut bait if the general public or some other aspect of the project became too much to deal with. We don't know if he was prescient or just knew himself well.

Really the most worrying change is that uBlock doesn't really have a Firefox guy anymore. (EDIT: They got a guy. I'm not sure there's anything to worry about at this point.)

Here is what Raymond(former dev) has just said in the support section for ublock on the Google store

"Yes.

But I will keep maintaining my own version here.

Roughly I consider uBlock feature-complete, and my goal is to keep it working just fine, ensuring it keeps working flawlessly on Chromium-based browser. Both versions will likely diverge eventually."

So it looks like he intends to do bug fixes for chrome only from now on.

If any body wants to switch over to the new build through the store it's here

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock/epcnnfbjfcgphgdmggkamkmgojdagdnn

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Bioalchemist posted:

Here is what Raymond(former dev) has just said in the support section for ublock on the Google store

"Yes.

But I will keep maintaining my own version here.

Roughly I consider uBlock feature-complete, and my goal is to keep it working just fine, ensuring it keeps working flawlessly on Chromium-based browser. Both versions will likely diverge eventually."

So it looks like he intends to do bug fixes for chrome only from now on.

If any body wants to switch over to the new build through the store it's here

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock/epcnnfbjfcgphgdmggkamkmgojdagdnn

It would be nice if they would differentiate between them somehow. They look identical - even the same build number.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I asked in the wrong thread:

My font/text looks like poo poo.

Left is IE, right is Chrome

Brand new windows 8.1 install, MSI Nvidia 960 with latest drivers

What do I disable/enable to get it looking good again?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
try enabling chrome://flags/#lcd-text-aa

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Celexi posted:

try enabling chrome://flags/#lcd-text-aa

no effect :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So (semi) recently chrome introduced the profile switcher thingy. Is there a way to make chrome prompt you to choose which profile you want to use when you start it up?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Would it be worth switching to the new uBlock?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would it be worth switching to the new uBlock?

yes

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
What is being added to the fork that is compelling? gorhill is going to maintain the original.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

crestfallen posted:

What is being added to the fork that is compelling? gorhill is going to maintain the original.

It sounds like that's all he's going to do...maintain it, AKA bug fixes. Knowing lone developers, I'm sure that will not last long either. When a lone developer or small team says a product is in maintenance mode, you can put better than even odds on it being abandoned before long.

Anyway, it takes like 1 minute or less to switch between them, so I have a hard time understanding what it means to ask if it's worth it.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Sure. I hear what you're saying. If there were a reason to switch, I would. Doesn't really sound like there is one. Yet.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So (semi) recently chrome introduced the profile switcher thingy. Is there a way to make chrome prompt you to choose which profile you want to use when you start it up?

Not sure about a prompt, but you can make profile-specific shortcuts.

See the topmost answer for a verbose explanation, then read the second answer to learn how to make them from Chrome's settings page.

E: You're welcome!

Judge Ito Boxing fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 9, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Not sure about a prompt, but you can make profile-specific shortcuts.

See the topmost answer for a verbose explanation, then read the second answer to learn how to make them from Chrome's settings page.

Hmm, looks like this will have to do. Thanks!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there a preferred download manager? Really I don't even want a download manager, but Chrome's shelf thing annoys me on downloads. I can't even really place why, I just get irritated when it shows up. I installed Chrono Download Manager but I wasn't sure if there was a better one and/or if this one is some dumb spam thing I didn't realize

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

myron cope posted:

Is there a preferred download manager? Really I don't even want a download manager, but Chrome's shelf thing annoys me on downloads. I can't even really place why, I just get irritated when it shows up. I installed Chrono Download Manager but I wasn't sure if there was a better one and/or if this one is some dumb spam thing I didn't realize
I have used Always Clear Downloads for quite some time which also means I never see the download page at all.
Not sure if that is what you have in mind, but it's pretty much an essential extension for me.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

myron cope posted:

I too would rather die than see that damned download shelf ever again. its the papercut of browser UI. As we share an affliction, please report back in when you've found a cure.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Had to do a reinstall of windows today and lost one of my favorite extensions that I can't for the life of me remember the name of, but I can describe it: basically it was a search tool that whenever you highlighted text it would pop up a small widget that had four options to choose from that you could search the selected text on. Specific to me, I had one for plain google search, another for wikipedia, a third for youtube, and a fourth for imdb. Anyone know what extension I'm thinking of?

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Had to do a reinstall of windows today and lost one of my favorite extensions that I can't for the life of me remember the name of, but I can describe it: basically it was a search tool that whenever you highlighted text it would pop up a small widget that had four options to choose from that you could search the selected text on. Specific to me, I had one for plain google search, another for wikipedia, a third for youtube, and a fourth for imdb. Anyone know what extension I'm thinking of?

I lost everything too. It must have something to do with this Respect Sale ads that now pop up EVERYWHERE. I don't want to have to reinstall everything....I lost that awesome extension too and I can't remember what it was called either. Also, where the hell can I get SA Last Read? I can't remember that either...

edit: Found SALR. Check out your add-ons in Chrome, there were two things installed for this ad bullshit. Also check out control panel and go to uninstall programs, I found two things that were installed today that appeared to be ad related too. Even Netflix is riddled with this poo poo.

Dr.Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello friends

Is there a way to remove the Mobile Bookmarks folder? I do have an Android device, so I thought maybe it was syncing that, however I turned off the partner bookmarks on my phone as well as bookmark syncing. I am also not logged into Chrome with my gmail account if that matters. I still have the Mobile Bookmarks folder on the bottom when using Chrome on my Mac though.