Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So, my wife and I are buying a new bed. We had a pillowtop, we're going with the ikea latex mattress on the floor thing as our 3 month old is giggling and rolling and just starting to try to walk and babbling and WTF? Order is clearly out of wack, in her favor I suppose. Plus, we had a queen and need a king. Desperately. How did things go that fast?

Anyway, my thread question is - what's the general situation with mattress covers? It sounds like all of the "waterproof mattress protectors" are potentially poisonous to your kids via offgassing and flame retardants? Do people get wool versions instead?

I'm trying to help my wife mitigate the "baby pees through a double cloth diaper in her sleep" (and thus the bed) problem, and was also considering nighttime disposables for that. Anyone have links to actual good resources on this stuff?

We have the Luna mattress cover from Amazon and it's fantastic. It's mostly terry cloth, doesn't crinkle, and has survived my three year old making puddles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I let my mum harp on at me about how much she hated a name I'd chosen, chose a different name in part because of it and regret it now. Especially as my mum says that she didn't actually mean it now that it's too late

It's never actually too late, it's just inconvenient. I am strongly considering letting my kid pick his own name, officially, as a kind of coming of age ritual once he's mature enough/old enough, whichever comes first. We'll see if that plan survives contact with the enemy.

Of course, when my parents started arguing (with each other) about what name my kid was going to get, me and the wife responded by changing our last names away from theirs. :v: You lose! You get nothing! Mind your own business next time (they were much more considerate in their naming suggestions after that point)! And now I get to officially be the founder of my little clan, so it all worked out for the best really.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I am strongly considering letting my kid pick his own name, officially, as a kind of coming of age ritual once he's mature enough/old enough, whichever comes first.

Signs you might be Catholic ^^^

In other news, leaving my sick (with a bad cold) kid behind to visit my (way more seriously) sick mother from Thursday to Tuesday. I know she's in wonderful hands with my husband and his mum, and I know that it'll be good to be able to prioritise my mum while I'm visiting (and that immunocompromised people shouldn't be around sick kids), and I'll enjoy the peaceful evenings and the sleeping until something other than 6 o clock in the morning, but oh my god, I feel like complete and utter crap for leaving my poor daughter behind when she's coughing and hacking pitifully and throwing her arms around my neck while whimpering: "Mama, bebi ouch! Mama sing! Help bebi ouch!"

(Yes, apparently my kid is Yoda. I'm gonna miss her so much :( )

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of Catholicism. The number one daycare around here is a certain Catholic church and it's HARD to get into because it's in so much demand. Catholic/members with kids already attending get first dibs, Catholics/members get second dibs, Catholic/non-members get third dibs, then there's a waitlist for everyone else. And they politely tell you that getting in from the wait list is very very rare and that you should probably go try other places too.

Well they ALSO do a once a year lottery for a literal handful of spots for non-catholic non-members as well and by george we got selected this year. It's crazy... the lottery starts at 7 am and people camp out and poo poo for it. Which is kinda crazy since it's, you know, a lottery. I got there late, signed up and still got selected. So excited. I'm really disliking our current daycare and can't wait to get the gently caress out. Gotta wait til June though. :(

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

skeetied posted:

We have the Luna mattress cover from Amazon and it's fantastic. It's mostly terry cloth, doesn't crinkle, and has survived my three year old making puddles on it.

Does it smell?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Does it smell?

Not at all.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We have the same mattress cover. It never smelled like plastic or chemicals.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I love that mattress cover. It's fuzzy and comfy and I've slept on just a bare mattress due to sheer exhaustion and it was perfectly fine. Definitely buy it.

SavoyMarionette
May 23, 2007
I speak only the truth.
My oldest is starting kindergarten this year and the subject of sending her to school on the bus came up between me and my husband. He seemed a little surprised when I told him how uncomfortable having my 5 year old ride the school bus alone made me. When I was younger my mom always drove us to elementary school until we were old enough to walk home alone, as we lived too close to the school for transportation. I didn't start riding buses until 6th grade, so kindergarten just seems too young to me. We're planning to buy a second car anyway so that if she gets sick while at school, my husband wont have to leave work or class to pick her up. It just made sense to me that I'd keep driving her to school every morning and then pick her up in the afternoon. I just don't like not knowing what happens to her between getting on the bus and getting to her classroom door. I have occasional anxiety issues though so I'm wondering if this is just me being worried for no reason and it's really no big deal? She's my first baby and I know she's growing up fast, I don't want to be overprotective of her, but sometimes I'm not sure if I'm going overboard or not.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

SavoyMarionette posted:

My oldest is starting kindergarten this year and the subject of sending her to school on the bus came up between me and my husband. He seemed a little surprised when I told him how uncomfortable having my 5 year old ride the school bus alone made me. When I was younger my mom always drove us to elementary school until we were old enough to walk home alone, as we lived too close to the school for transportation. I didn't start riding buses until 6th grade, so kindergarten just seems too young to me. We're planning to buy a second car anyway so that if she gets sick while at school, my husband wont have to leave work or class to pick her up. It just made sense to me that I'd keep driving her to school every morning and then pick her up in the afternoon. I just don't like not knowing what happens to her between getting on the bus and getting to her classroom door. I have occasional anxiety issues though so I'm wondering if this is just me being worried for no reason and it's really no big deal? She's my first baby and I know she's growing up fast, I don't want to be overprotective of her, but sometimes I'm not sure if I'm going overboard or not.

I think you are worrying to much. School buses, despite a lack of seatbelts, are on average safer than you driving her to school yourself. You aren't in a 10 ton bright yellow machine with a zillion flashing lights and your own personal stop sign. In addition they are traveling bubbles of protection, drivers that fail to stop for their stop signs or pass them get increased fines etc. Nothing is going to happen to him, every driver has a CDL (commercial drivers license) which means they've passed more difficult driving tests, and have much harsher penalties for infractions, especially things like DUI. Sometimes bus drivers might be a little harsh but that is because their first concern is driving the bus safely to school. If they yell at your kid for acting up they deserved it, the driver really doesn't have time for kids poo poo.

Buses should imo have 2 additional things to increase safety. 1. seatbelts. 2. a person who keeps an eye on the kids while the driver drives. Other than that, they're plenty safe, your kid will get to school on time and have a little more socialization with kids that live nearby. Let them ride the bus.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

SavoyMarionette posted:

If it's a dedicated school bus and there are other children the same age who will be travelling then I would probably let her go on the bus. But I understand the anxiety and don't think it's unusual to not be sure. See if you can maybe travel with her for a few days to see how she copes and the general environment on the bus and that might help you feel better whichever you choose.

Where I live the school bus is also open for the general public. I've been on it a few times and it's pretty awful - high school kids (age 12 to 16) shouting and chucking stuff about while the bus driver screams at them to shut up and gets ignored.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

hookerbot 5000 posted:

If it's a dedicated school bus and there are other children the same age who will be travelling then I would probably let her go on the bus. But I understand the anxiety and don't think it's unusual to not be sure. See if you can maybe travel with her for a few days to see how she copes and the general environment on the bus and that might help you feel better whichever you choose.

Where I live the school bus is also open for the general public. I've been on it a few times and it's pretty awful - high school kids (age 12 to 16) shouting and chucking stuff about while the bus driver screams at them to shut up and gets ignored.

It seems unusual to me that junior high and high school kids would ride the same buss as kindergarteners. When I was a youngin it was elementary school kids on the bus, then another wave for junior and senior high. If I recall, the elementary school bus would have kids loosely sorted by grade, the kindergarteners would be up front, then 1, 2, 3, etc farther back.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

jassi007 posted:

It seems unusual to me that junior high and high school kids would ride the same buss as kindergarteners. When I was a youngin it was elementary school kids on the bus, then another wave for junior and senior high. If I recall, the elementary school bus would have kids loosely sorted by grade, the kindergarteners would be up front, then 1, 2, 3, etc farther back.

I think it's just the buses here (rural Scotland), they're not private buses for the school just the service bus that run to the school and are at the time that school starts and the school kids travel free (assuming they have a pass from the school).

After school isn't so bad as the primary school (age 5 to 11) finishes twenty minutes before the high school but in the morning all kids get on the same bus along with anyone else that wants to. Assuming SavoyMarionette lives somewhere with proper private school buses it'll be more like your experience than mine :)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
On the other side, I rode the bus for 11 years and hated every second. Long rides, no potty breaks, and I had some pretty bad experiences there. Sure, the bus itself is pretty physically safe, but nothing about being in a big yellow tank prepares you for the gross upperclassman who won't stop groping you or the girl who hates that you're assigned to your seat and pinches the poo poo out of you every day.

If you're not going out of your way and you're worried about putting her on the bus, I don't think it's overprotective to drive her. Kids can be mean enough; wake them before dawn and put them in an enclosed space with 30 other angry monkeys and it's never gonna be a good time. :)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sometimes it's a good time. I met a lot of my school friends on the bus and that first day it was cool to walk into school knowing a few people from the bus already. If you're being mercilessly teased or bullied though, naturally being locked in a mobile bullying station for the duration of your ride to school would be hellish of course.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I have a kid with special needs who has attended public school at least 2 days a week from the age of 3. He rode the bus for 3 years (the buses have seatbelts here - real ones, not just lapbelts, and he was forward facing in his carseat that was installed on the bus for him every day until he was 5). I drive him to school now and have for 2 years.

From a parent perspective, driving and picking him up is far superior for the purposes of communicating with his teacher. When he rode the bus, he missed out on a lot of things because it was something she mentioned in passing to the pickup parents but for some reason didn't get it into the note home (one year, we received a call from the school that there would be no halloween costumes allowed...which apparently didn't apply to the special ed 4 year olds but since the teacher didn't get it into the note home she threw in his backpack after quickly scratching it down while the kids were grabbing their coats, he was the only kid in his class not wearing a costume on halloween. I happened to be picking him up for a doctor appointment that day and boy does it feel lovely to walk into the classroom and see your kid is the one being left out). I have way better communication now, because I see the teacher every single day - I know all the stuff that isn't really important enough to write down but that makes up an important part of his day. I also get to meet other parents and feel a sort of sense of community within his class and his school - his classmates know me, their moms and some of their dads at least recognize me, I'm there in the mornings when the PTA is asking for help making photocopies and dropping off flyers to classrooms real quick, so I get more involvement in his school. It's nice to see the principal and have her actually smile and invite a group of us for coffee because she's got time and wants to just check in instead of only seeing her when I've requested a meeting because there's a problem.

Potty training him was a real mess with the bus ride too, we used to send him in underwear with a diaper under it for the bus ride and his teacher would diaper him before sending him home too because the bus doesn't stop for potty breaks. His school was 7.4 miles away. It was a 12 minute drive. The bus took 1 hour and 6 minutes....and he was by far not the first kid on or last kid off, there was no way I could expect him to hold it that long, and the driver can't leave the bus with a bunch of kids unattended to take a kid to pee, so suck it up and piss yourself was basically it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Sounds like maybe your kid's teacher hosed up for not communicating effectively, rather than a useful commentary on the edgetiveness of busing. For many areas its bus or... Don't go to school. Seems a simple choice - these boys say it a lot, but I don't know what it means.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
My first grader rides the bus home; so does the kindergartener across the street (we're friends). He didn't last year because of scheduling conflict, with Liam keeping different hours at a different campus. It's totally fine; Ms Tina, the driver, is great. We're the first stop in the morning, so it's about a 30-35 minute ride. The school is right behind us, and only about a 5 minute walk. But he rides the bus home. We're the second stop coming home; he's home about 10 minutes after school lets out.

When I have to get to work in the morning, he goes on the bus in the morning because there's a big difference for me leaving at 8, and leaving at 8:30 (and then waiting in the drop off lane for another 5-10 minutes or so). He loves the bus; I don't honestly worry about him.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

My first grader rides the bus home; so does the kindergartener across the street (we're friends). He didn't last year because of scheduling conflict, with Liam keeping different hours at a different campus. It's totally fine; Ms Tina, the driver, is great. We're the first stop in the morning, so it's about a 30-35 minute ride. The school is right behind us, and only about a 5 minute walk. But he rides the bus home. We're the second stop coming home; he's home about 10 minutes after school lets out.

Haha. Our elementary school is like "gently caress you, your kid can walk to school". Basically if they're within a mile of school they should be walking.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
I can't wait until he gets old enough to walk himself. He totally *could* now, but I'm not supposed to let him walk alone until 3rd grade. I could send him, but they wouldn't let him be a "walker" home until 3rd grade. Now, if he walked alone to school, I'm more afraid of him dicking around on the park playground (we cut through a park) or finding some nonsense to waste time with and get to school late than I ever would be afraid of someone snatching him. There are districts around here that don't offer bus service within a mile of the school, we just don't happen to be one of them.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I'm really looking forward to biking with my 6th grade kid to school next year. New school has nice wide bike-lanes and well signaled intersections the whole way and is only 2 miles away. Figure I'll ride with him to school most mornings while the weather is fit, get him some bloodflow in the morning, and then count on him to find his own way home. They split the grades up kid of weird here. k-2 and 3-5 and 6-8 and Highschool is 9-12. HS is also on a bike trail, but he is on his own for that poo poo, since HS classes start at 7:20 in the goddamn morning (and bus pickup is closer to 6am) in order to preserve the profitability of the school bus contractor. Whenever anybody says "hey, the science says that rolling teenagers out of bed at rear end in the morning is bad for health and test scores" they respond "Oh?! Would you rather have your KINDERGARTNERS FREEZING TO DEATH IN THE DARK?! Because That is what you get if highschool starts at 9am". The prospect of getting enough school busses to move children to and from school in a timely manner is not to be considered.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 9, 2015

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We live in a wonky area, where our neighborhood is across a freeway from our elementary school and it's rather far to walk. There is a pedestrian walkway over the freeway, but it's such a long walk anyway that I figure I'll just end up driving my kids to school until they are in middle school or something. I have never seen a school bus drive through the area so I don't even think that service is offered here.

Our life schedule is so out of whack with "normal" families. My kids aren't even out of bed before 8:30am, and soon my kid will be starting kindergarten where class starts at 8am. We are going to have to start shifting our lives around soon, since school starts in August which is just a goddamn travesty, and I am not looking forward to the daily rigid schedule that school requires. I love waking up in the morning and figuring out what adventure to take my kids on for the day. The loss of that childhood freedom and the strict requirements of elementary school are really bumming me out.

Now that he's finally potty-trained for both #1 and #2, I'll be putting my oldest in a neighborhood preschool MWF for the next few months, to get him ready for a daily kindergarten routine. This whole thing is going to be much harder for me than for him, I can tell he's ready to blossom.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Crosspost from the kids say the darndest things thread...this is why we drink:

Conversation with the 4 year old on the way home from nursery school yesterday:

:j: Did you have a good day at school?
:) Yup! Mommy, can we eat a person?
:confused: What? No, no we can't do that.
:) Does a person not taste very good?
:confused: No? I don't know; that's not why we don't eat people. Eating someone is sad, mean, and gross. Why do you want to eat a person?
:) Because a person is full of meat. I like meat. Daddy can grill.

:aaa: The Hell, child, the Hell. Goddamnit, from the mouths of babes...

As an aside, we have just dealt with the death of a distant great-grandmother (husband's grandmother from a couple states away; kids had never met her), but that lead to some very normal type conversations about death, what is death like, why we die, why we "do funeral", what that is, etc... I had thought it went really well: An opportunity to explain things, simply, without having to also deal with their emotions, like we will have to with a more personal death. (Dead is forever, I don't know what happens to us after we die, "pass away" is a polite way people say "die" but it's okay to say "die" too, we "do funeral" so everyone can give hugs to each other and talk about the person who died, we die when our bodies get too sick or old to be alive anymore, Mommy and Daddy won't be old enough to die for a long, long time, etc...) I wondered if this was a random off-shoot of all that.

Or Liam is a lunatic. :j:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

AlistairCookie posted:

We don't eat people because it vectors Kuru. Prion encephalopathy ain't nothin to mess with. You don't want the proteins in your brain folded wrong, do you? Because That is how you get misfolded proteins in your brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_%28disease%29

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

AlistairCookie posted:

Crosspost from the kids say the darndest things thread...this is why we drink:

Conversation with the 4 year old on the way home from nursery school yesterday:

:j: Did you have a good day at school?
:) Yup! Mommy, can we eat a person?
:confused: What? No, no we can't do that.
:) Does a person not taste very good?
:confused: No? I don't know; that's not why we don't eat people. Eating someone is sad, mean, and gross. Why do you want to eat a person?
:) Because a person is full of meat. I like meat. Daddy can grill.

:aaa: The Hell, child, the Hell. Goddamnit, from the mouths of babes...

As an aside, we have just dealt with the death of a distant great-grandmother (husband's grandmother from a couple states away; kids had never met her), but that lead to some very normal type conversations about death, what is death like, why we die, why we "do funeral", what that is, etc... I had thought it went really well: An opportunity to explain things, simply, without having to also deal with their emotions, like we will have to with a more personal death. (Dead is forever, I don't know what happens to us after we die, "pass away" is a polite way people say "die" but it's okay to say "die" too, we "do funeral" so everyone can give hugs to each other and talk about the person who died, we die when our bodies get too sick or old to be alive anymore, Mommy and Daddy won't be old enough to die for a long, long time, etc...) I wondered if this was a random off-shoot of all that.

Heartbreakingly Adorable: Watch This Mother Explain Death To Her Child

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My kid is finally talking well enough to start spouting random funny stuff, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm sure I won't love it as much when she's announcing things loudly on the bus, but when she saw my husband showering and delightedly shouted "DADDY HAS A BEARD ON HIS WEEWEE!", it completely made up for a solid week of tantrums and whining.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure if I look back through this thread all of my posts are questions about sleep. :sigh:

I just want him sleeping through the night and taking nice naps during the day. We're nearly there but he's still waking up at 3-4am and then his afternoon nap has been short the past two weeks (20 minutes). He naps in the morning beautifully (1.5-2 hours). He's almost 10 months old now.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Thwomp posted:

I'm sure if I look back through this thread all of my posts are questions about sleep. :sigh:

I just want him sleeping through the night and taking nice naps during the day. We're nearly there but he's still waking up at 3-4am and then his afternoon nap has been short the past two weeks (20 minutes). He naps in the morning beautifully (1.5-2 hours). He's almost 10 months old now.

The sleep gets better, eventually. It correlates with their mobility and their eating solid foods; the former because crawling wears them out, and the latter because something something something. As I understand it.

Our 6-month-old has regressed a little on sleep. We were doing pretty good with him sleeping through the night, but now he's on a kick of waking up hungry at 4 a.m., much to our chagrin. We're in full grin-and-bear-it mode, but it's starting to wear very thin.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
So sometimes I'll be sitting on the couch and my 11 month old daughter will want to get up on the couch with me. That's not a problem, I just make sure to watch her. But sometimes she decides she wants to get off the couch. I've been trying to show her how to get off the couch safely by going down feet first facing the couch, but it seems like she just wants to dive headfirst off the couch.

It hasn't been a problem because we never have her on the couch unattended and she can't get up by herself yet, but I'm wondering when others have let their kids try to get off the couch by themselves. Did you just wait until they can climb up by themselves?

For example, something like this would drive me crazy worrying that she might get a neck/spinal injury trying it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfgTw4LuPI

Not quite the same as climbing down from a couch, but I think it gets the point across.

Just wanting some thoughts or experiences with this type of thing in general.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We pretty much just waited. I don't remember it took Sydney too long to figure out how to get on/off the couch. It's partly a height issue, I imagine.

The bed, on the other hand...I have no idea why it's such a mental block for her to realize the inevitable result of rolling off the bed. At least we've taught her the phrase "I broke my face" so now she laughs and yells that.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
You know that thing you keep telling yourself when babies are in a horrible sleep pattern. "This too shall pass." Unfortunately that also seems to apply to the good sleep patterns :P

My son tried to tumble off our bed a bunch when he was little and succeeded once or twice. Our bed is already pretty low but I put a bolster pillow that cut the height in half and he learned how to climb up and down in that one spot pretty quick and gave up using the other side of the bed. He was always decent at going down feet first though.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Apogee15 posted:

I'm wondering when others have let their kids try to get off the couch by themselves. Did you just wait until they can climb up by themselves?

My daughter learned to climb stuff way before she learned how to get down from stuff. You basically just have to watch them like a hawk and be ready to leap across the room at a moments notice for a while. We encouraged her to get down on her own as often as we could, though, while we had our hands outstretched to catch her if she fell, so she'd figure it out and we could relax a bit. She finally got it, and now (21 months) she's a pro and can get safely down from every piece of furniture in the house that she can climb on her own (except her high chair, we still have to run like mad towards it at least twice a day because she'll scale it like a toddler ninja). I'm enjoying it while it lasts, because it's only a matter of time before she figures out how to climb onto higher stuff. Thank god she's tiny, sheer physical size is the only thing holding her back. We have to hide her step stool, otherwise she climbs onto the kitchen counter.

(She fell from the couch once and landed square on the top of her head, then flipped over and ended up sitting on her rear end :v: I was convinced she'd been terminally brain damaged, but she once she got over the shock of falling down, she was perfectly fine, thank god.)

Oh, and babyproof stuff ahead of time, because you won't get any warnings. From one day to the next you'll just suddenly find them standing in the window sill, and that's too late to start thinking about safety latches.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, my wife had a complete meltdown when Connor went head first off the bed for the first time. And the second time. You'd think something like that would leave an impression mentally but nope, the second time was the same as the first. Crawled behind her real quick and whoops!

Tears and screams for 5 minutes and then back to normal. I will never understand.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I always taught my kids if they got up somewhere then they could get themselves back down. I never rescued them from a jungle gym or the couch or anything, I just watched over them as they tried to climb back down or figure out another way down, like the slide. I really think it instilled both a sense of independence and personal responsibility. So often I see kids climb onto a box or up some stairs or something and then whine for their parent to pick them up.

My youngest is 13 months. I sit with him on the couch sometimes, and the first time he started making a motion to get off the couch I guided him down feet first. I think I did that once more, and then he started doing it on his own. He cackles with glee when his feet touch the floor ("trust your feet" I like to say) and he toddles off.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Thwomp posted:

I'm pretty sure "drowsy but awake" is actually a joke people are playing on me . I'm going on 14 months now, and mine still won't sleep through the night most nights. She will sometimes, but not or any particular reason we can figure out. Lately, around 2:00AM, she'll wake up, and I've just had to open her nursery door, shush once really loudly, then she goes right back to sleep for the rest of the night. It's not difficult, but I still have to get up.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I posted four months ago about my son's four month sleep regression - it hit his naps. It hasn't gotten better. I've made slight progress- I've gotten him to fall asleep in his bouncy chair, rather than in my arms - but no matter where he is sleeping, if it's not in our laps, he wakes up after 30min 80% of the time. And he's grumpy afterward, so he's not just a short-nap baby. Sigh.

I think he's just a crappy sleeper all around. He's still waking multiple times at night. We've gotten used to that, though, and at least he sleeps in his crib! Even if we wanted to, cry it out isn't an option because he has the awesome ability to cry so hard that he gags himself and throws up.

Me, I've finally given up on pumping. Cold turkey. Owwwww. My chest may be horribly uncomfortable, but it means that I get to sleep through the night tonight!! For the first time in eight months!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid asked to go "night night"? tonight after he got his 15 minute warning instead of the usual freak out of not wanting to go to bed? I am very confused.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Sweet Gulch posted:

Me, I've finally given up on pumping. Cold turkey. Owwwww. My chest may be horribly uncomfortable, but it means that I get to sleep through the night tonight!! For the first time in eight months!

Please don't do this. You're putting yourself at risk for complications like clogged ducts and mastitis. You need to wean off the pump, especially given it sounds like you're pumping during prime supply times (the middle of the night).

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

What happened to my cute, snuggly infant? She started walking at 9 months and it's like she's a full-fledged toddler (she's 10.5 months now). Just yesterday she learned how to open and close cupboards and of course it's the MOST FUN THING EVER! I've done dishes like 5 times today because she kept getting into the lower cabinets, pulling out all of the plastic bowls, and throwing them all over the kitchen floor. She was having so much fun that I didn't have the heart to stop her, but first thing tomorrow I need to go out and buy those little plastic hinges.

I've been lucky enough to stay home with her so far, but she starts daycare in a month and I'm going to be a mess. Especially since she shows no interest in weaning/refuses bottles. I just don't think I can manage pumping + an intense full time nurse practitioner program with clinical rotations...

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Welcome to the monkey ninja years.