Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AnonSpore posted:

Didn't someone basically write Lord of the Rings over, just changing the names and poo poo a little to avoid copyright issues?

Terry Brooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Dennis McKiernan?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Dennis McKiernan?

That's the one. Were they any good?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Terry Brooks?

Bingo.

Maybe instead of doing TWOW, GRRM will write a sequel to the Silmarillion instead. We could be treated to scenes of Dunedain making GBS threads in the wild and long passages featuring Elrond eating various stews and pies. Could be good.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Terry brooks poo poo wasn't TOO similar, it was just his first book really.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AnonSpore posted:

Never read them, but his "Once Upon a Winter's Night" was decent. Not great, but decent.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Terry brooks poo poo wasn't TOO similar, it was just his first book really.

Sword of Shannara was definitely LotR with the numbers filed off, down to Gandalf Alannon the Wizard Druid visiting the Ring-Bearer heir of Isildur heir of Shannara in the Shire Southland and said heir being attacked by Nazgul the dreaded formerly human black destroyers of Sauron the Warlock Lord; the party splitting at the end of Act 1, with one half of the party ending up in a hopeless siege at Helm's Deep Tyrsis after an admittedly rather different series of events from LotR; and Frodo Aragorn Shea infiltrating the Warlock Lord's lands and retrieving the Ring Anduril the Sword of Shannara. He does get to confront and defeat the bad guy, which I guess is a privilege you earn if you're a combination of Frodo and Aragorn.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AnonSpore posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of that author a LOT recently, because the whole thing is just so blatantly ripped off from LotR. I read the omnibus once, at the age of maybe 14, and even thick as I often am about getting books on anything more than the most surface level, even at 14... I realised it was an obvious rip-off of LotR before getting about 1/4 of the way through. THe not-Moria sequence with the not-Balrog is the most obvious bit.

Seriously, just read the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Tower

They're poo poo.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

thespaceinvader posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of that author a LOT recently, because the whole thing is just so blatantly ripped off from LotR. I read the omnibus once, at the age of maybe 14, and even thick as I often am about getting books on anything more than the most surface level, even at 14... I realised it was an obvious rip-off of LotR before getting about 1/4 of the way through. THe not-Moria sequence with the not-Balrog is the most obvious bit.

Seriously, just read the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Tower

They're poo poo.

quote:

An unnaturally long and bitter winter has fallen over all of Mithgar

That's about one letter away (Mithgard ~ Midgard) from literally being 'middle earth'.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Book series being taken over by others after the original author's death sometimes kindasorta work, usually don't, and almost never retain the same feel. Ruth Plumly Thompson amirite?

Same with Eoin Colfer with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Don't know how well Sanderson pulled off Wheel of Time, there's not usually that many complaints.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Same with Eoin Colfer with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Don't know how well Sanderson pulled off Wheel of Time, there's not usually that many complaints.

For the latter there were complaints, but the stuff they thought was written by Sanderson was actually written by Jordan and vice versa.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Book series being taken over by others after the original author's death sometimes kindasorta work, usually don't, and almost never retain the same feel. Ruth Plumly Thompson amirite?

Dune. Someone needs to stop Kevin J Anderson from writing any more bad books.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Dune is especially ridiculous - the KJA/Brian Herbert books outnumber the original Frank Herbert ones 2:1.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Dune is especially ridiculous - the KJA/Brian Herbert books outnumber the original Frank Herbert ones 2:1.

With more on the way. And all of them are terrible.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

i81icu812 posted:

With more on the way. And all of them are terrible.

What the gently caress is left to write?!?!?

On the topic of unlicensed Tolkien sequels, I've been slowly learning Russian so I can finally read this because I hear it's pretty awesome and better than The Last Ringbearer: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ring_of_Darkness

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Origin stories for the Bene Gesserit, Spacing Guild, and mentat schools, set thousands of years before the events of Dune. Each occupying a full novel. Also apparently some more in-quels that take place between the events of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune? There needs to be a verb for this kind of obsessive expansion on background details. Wookiepeeding?

But...but they already covered all that ground during the loving horrible original titan series. They're just going to go back and re-write their existing trashy fanfiction? How does Herbert sleep at night? :psyduck:

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 6, 2015

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Origin stories for the Bene Gesserit, Spacing Guild, and mentat schools, set thousands of years before the events of Dune. Each occupying a full novel. Also apparently some more in-quels that take place between the events of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune? There needs to be a verb for this kind of obsessive expansion on background details. Wookiepeeding?

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Rime posted:

On the topic of unlicensed Tolkien sequels, I've been slowly learning Russian so I can finally read this because I hear it's pretty awesome and better than The Last Ringbearer: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ring_of_Darkness

That sir, is some serious dedication and I tip my hat to you. While I have never heard of this story I have free time on my hands and plan to investigate - it looks promising.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You haven't read Tolkien until you've read it in the original Russian. :smugbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thunder Moose posted:

That sir, is some serious dedication and I tip my hat to you. While I have never heard of this story I have free time on my hands and plan to investigate - it looks promising.
"A cold douche for Tolkien fandom." Hell of a post title in the references.

Hopefully this isn't just "And then everything from those books were bad and stupid and racist, surprise!" But I may be biased by the OTHER Russian fanfic.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

For the latter there were complaints, but the stuff they thought was written by Sanderson was actually written by Jordan and vice versa.

Considering how horrible Jordan got after book 6 this is one of the few occasions where almost anyone else could do a better job.

I'm pretty sure that if he hadn't died we would be getting ever longer books in perpetuity with less and less plot thread resolution in each successive edition.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Murgos posted:

Considering how horrible Jordan got after book 6 this is one of the few occasions where almost anyone else could do a better job.

I'm pretty sure that if he hadn't died we would be getting ever longer books in perpetuity with less and less plot thread resolution in each successive edition.

And instead of plot resolution there would have been barely legal spanking from cover to cover.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I wonder if any of those novels are as crazy as some of the video game spinoffs, like Gandalf's B-team of FF-X reskins fighting The Eye on top of Barad-Dur.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Apparently Ring of Darkness was just a personal hobby-project for the author (who also did an undercover Russian translation of LOTR?) that he decided to publish later. Which is hilariously close to how LOTR was written, really.

I honestly can't blame the guy. I mean he smuggled his own copies of Two Towers and Return of The King into the Soviet Union; he obviously isn't trying to make a weird hate-piece like that other unofficial sequel. Actually, there's a really good look at how Soviet/Russian book fandom works here. Apparently there's a strong translation scene and, uh, LARPs.

SirPhoebos posted:

I wonder if any of those novels are as crazy as some of the video game spinoffs, like Gandalf's B-team of FF-X reskins fighting The Eye on top of Barad-Dur.

What I've seen so far makes Ring of Darkness sound like solid East-European Gray Fantasy. So like The Witcher or Night Watch with more alcoholic dwarves. There's probably some crazy Russian fanfic if you look far enough.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Rime posted:

But...but they already covered all that ground during the loving horrible original titan series. They're just going to go back and re-write their existing trashy fanfiction? How does Herbert sleep at night? :psyduck:

On a big pile of money.

Russian TV did an adaptation of The Hobbit way back in 1985. I have no idea the complete fidelity because I can't speak Russian, but, it's, uh... produced within budget, certainly, and they do leave a great deal out (no Battle of the Five Armies, for example).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0l3Yr1B50

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Rime posted:

See by letting KJA dictahike* out a book a year and slapping the DUNE name on the cover the whole extended Herbert clan gets a paycheck. One day they may even get that blockbuster movie adaptation paycheck and life the good life.

To be honest, after listening to Brian talk and reading about the odd family dynamics in Dreamer of Dune, getting mad at Brian kinda feels like kicking a puppy. Brian is NOT a good interview: https://vimeo.com/34545393. After 10s of the video, hearing him say that he 'does not fly' is completely unsurprising.

From Dreamer of Dune, Frank had a complicated relationship with his kids, Brian turned into an alcoholic and had a shotgun wedding in college. Second son Bruce was gay, which caused a rift with Frank. After Dune is successful and Frank stops bouncing from job to job, his wife is diagnosed with cancer. And then Frank dies of cancer two years after his wife does, leaving Dune 7 unwritten. And then Brian and Kevin embark on their prequel writing and miraculously find a horde of notes and Dune 7 outline that Frank didn't send off to the Fullerton Archive with the rest of his papers.

You really have to admire Christopher Tolkien and the way the Tolkien estate has been handled. It's bizarre seeing fairly similar series going in opposite directions.

*Seriously, KJA claims to write all his books by dictation while hiking. It explain so much.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha, fairly similar series?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

i81icu812 posted:

To be honest, after listening to Brian talk and reading about the odd family dynamics in Dreamer of Dune, getting mad at Brian kinda feels like kicking a puppy. Brian is NOT a good interview: https://vimeo.com/34545393. After 10s of the video, hearing him say that he 'does not fly' is completely unsurprising.

Man, the way he says "Frank Herbert" right in the beginning there when talking about the world of the novels... :smith:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Haha, fairly similar series?

Both authors had one major genera-defining literary success, an epic spanning multiple books, received to great acclaim in the 60's. Both die with a few years of each other and their estates falls to sons. One son curates the The Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin, Unfinished Tales, etc. The other cedes creative control to Kevin J Anderson to churn out a book a year and leaves his father's notes moldering in an university archive.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

i81icu812 posted:

Both authors had one major genera-defining literary success, an epic spanning multiple books, received to great acclaim in the 60's. Both die with a few years of each other and their estates falls to sons. One son curates the The Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin, Unfinished Tales, etc. The other cedes creative control to Kevin J Anderson to churn out a book a year and leaves his father's notes moldering in an university archive.

Oh ok yeah, in those ways they are similar.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

On a big pile of money.

Russian TV did an adaptation of The Hobbit way back in 1985. I have no idea the complete fidelity because I can't speak Russian, but, it's, uh... produced within budget, certainly, and they do leave a great deal out (no Battle of the Five Armies, for example).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0l3Yr1B50

I suddenly wish that Aleksandr Ptushko had had a chance to make a Hobbit and/or LOTR film.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

I suddenly wish that Aleksandr Ptushko had had a chance to make a Hobbit and/or LOTR film.

For comparison the Finnish Hobbits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koj0V7G46fs (it's about LotR)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It may have been discussed but what're the tangible differences between the Arkenstone and the Silmarils? I guess the former is just a really nice gem versus the stones that hold the original light of the world, but it seems somewhat implicit that the Arkenstone is somehow related or at least maybe Tolkien had the inspiration from one in the other?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It may have been discussed but what're the tangible differences between the Arkenstone and the Silmarils? I guess the former is just a really nice gem versus the stones that hold the original light of the world, but it seems somewhat implicit that the Arkenstone is somehow related or at least maybe Tolkien had the inspiration from one in the other?

The Arkenstone was explicitly cut (like the way we grind diamonds for jewelry) whereas the Silmarils couldn't be cut or shaped without undoing them entirely. Mortals/evil things holding the Silmarils also get burned because of their holiness which is not a feature of the Arkenstone.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hogge Wild posted:

For comparison the Finnish Hobbits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koj0V7G46fs (it's about LotR)

Oh. My. God. This is LotR meets Hercules/Xena :allears:

EDIT: Is Boromir holding a katana?? :stwoon:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 9, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: Is Boromir holding a katana?? :stwoon:

Hell yes! :roflolmao:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You may also be getting a bit influenced by the Arkenstone's appearance in the Hobbit films. I gather it did not have an inner radiance - or at least not an explicit one like the Silmarils - in the original text. (Not that it was not an impressive jewel of course.)

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Nessus posted:

You may also be getting a bit influenced by the Arkenstone's appearance in the Hobbit films. I gather it did not have an inner radiance - or at least not an explicit one like the Silmarils - in the original text. (Not that it was not an impressive jewel of course.)

I was actually just re-reading the Hobbit, and it does seem to have some kind of inner light. Bilbo can see it in the pitch black of the dwarves' hall, and when he approaches it (with only a torch for light), it has a white inner glow. Dunno what that means about its origin or anything like that, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hogge Wild posted:

Show, don't tell.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Athaboros posted:

I was actually just re-reading the Hobbit, and it does seem to have some kind of inner light. Bilbo can see it in the pitch black of the dwarves' hall, and when he approaches it (with only a torch for light), it has a white inner glow. Dunno what that means about its origin or anything like that, though.

The Arkenstone is an example of Dwarven "magic"- their subtle understanding of the material world, which they use to make the mithril coats and the toys for Bilbo's birthday party and so on. Though they are less learned than Feanor or the golden age of the Noldor (or arguably the height of Moria depending on how we interpret Gimli's song), they nevertheless have some ability to bring out the inner light of gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for the answers. I'd like to think that the 60's movement of graffitiing 'Frodo Lives' wasn't any of the things Wikipedia describes but rather one of the first major attempts to spoil a book for people.