Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Legacy:
Overall record: 50-39-8
Total number of matches: 97
Win percentage ignoring draws: 56.179775
Win percentage including draws: 51.546392

See! You should play in the thunderdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Overall record: 89-56-11
Win percentage ignoring draws: 61.379310
Win percentage including draws: 57.051282

drat this is what I get for mostly playing modo and (legal aboveground unsanctioned) team drafts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

See! You should play in the thunderdome.

No thanks.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

"McMagic, huh? What's he playing?"

"Jund."

"So why are you boarding in four Chains of Mephistopheles?"

"You wouldn't understand."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I can definitely see why he doesn't play with you guys acting like that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

I can definitely see why he doesn't play with you guys acting like that.

Um he made a poorly substantiated claim, was called out on it with evidence, continued to support that claim and then dodged a tournament invite?

I mean I don't really care about the last part but the first 3 are the same pattern with almost every post he makes.

Like this is the kind of poo poo people mock pro tour commentators for.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's crazy to me how many shops have Judges and run regular REL events like total rear end, there's a prevailing attitude that the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of FNM rules wise also needs to be extended to tournament structure or it wont be accessible. Kudos for stepping in and making things better.
It always blows my mind that stores can have a hard time running a decent FNM level event after doing it week after week. I'm not asking for a charismatic judge who tells actually good jokes and has the magical power to stop prevent WER from making GBS threads the bed right before the round starts to be at every LGS in the world, but it doesn't seem onerous to have a warm body who is able to answer rules questions, put results into the computer correctly, and stop rounds on time. I usually drive 45 min to my LGS for modern night and FNM but decided I'd go to the store that's literally 4 minutes away from my house for the DTK prerelease to save an hour of sleep for the noon event at my regular store. It was the biggest shitshow of a prerelease I've ever been to, started handing out product at 1AM even though they made a big deal about preregistering, rounds went until everyone was finished, the person running the event sat in a different room from the players, and prize support was 1 pack guaranteed with everything else going to the top 3-4 players so one loss basically locked you out of decent prizes BUT you had to play all 4 rounds if you wanted your bonus pack.

qbert posted:

I wanna see my record too but I've forgotten both my login name and password and hitting the link to get an email sent from Wizards seems to be broken. :(
I'm locked out too, my favorite thing about it is that in order to resolve the problem of not being able to get into your wizards account you need to contact customer support, which requires that you login to your wizards account to contact them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol the people complaining are the "tier 1 only, no scrubs" types and quit after the first land is played cuz they think they're playing a scrub or rogue deck :allears:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Lol the people complaining are the "tier 1 only, no scrubs" types and quit after the first land is played cuz they think they're playing a scrub or rogue deck :allears:

Yo that's crazy scrubs are 'free wins'.

'Free wins' is a stupid phrase.

Also people ragequitting at not understanding my motions was my favorite reason to play the hedron crab - crypt of agadeem "dredge" unearth deck in standard.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 9, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Um he made a poorly substantiated claim, was called out on it with evidence, continued to support that claim and then dodged a tournament invite?

I mean I don't really care about the last part but the first 3 are the same pattern with almost every post he makes.

Like this is the kind of poo poo people mock pro tour commentators for.

Eh, fair point, I stand corrected.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Finally figured out my PWP login stuff, turns out I'm not as bad at modern as I thought.

quote:

Modern:
Overall record: 70-53-3
Total number of matches: 126
Win percentage ignoring draws: 56.910569
Win percentage including draws: 55.555556

There is one guy the computer regularly pairs me against in the first round at modern night:

quote:

Overall record: 2-10-0
Total number of matches: 12
Win percentage ignoring draws: 16.666667
Win percentage including draws: 16.666667
MerfolkVsAffinity.txt :smithicide:

I may also have big fish in a little pond syndrome with draft, I'm fairly certain I'm not this good

quote:

Booster Draft:
Overall record: 122-66-15
Total number of matches: 203
Win percentage ignoring draws: 64.893617
Win percentage including draws: 60.098522

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

I may also have big fish in a little pond syndrome with draft, I'm fairly certain I'm not this good
I almost always go x-1 or better at my LGS in draft, but MTGO lets me know I'm not actually that good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BXCX posted:

I feel like LGS drafts usually have this phenomemon if 1-2 players at the table are consistently more experienced than the rest. I think in terms of difficulty drafts go something like:

ELITE Team Test Drafts / Pro Tour Pods
GP Pods
Modo 8-4's / "Casual" team drafts with grinders
Modo 4-3-2-2 / Low REL large events
Modo Swiss / FNM or other frequent LGS drafts

basically if you draft on modo a lot you will probably consistently do well against your LGS

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
There's a Pro Tour player in this thread? Wow, I just learned today people who are actually good at Magic: the Gathering post in this thread.

And here I am scrubbing out at FNM with whatever ill-advised changes I've made to my deck that particular week.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure there's at least two that were at PT FRF but they both post v rarely.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
my alter ego is pro tour player luis "scott" vargas

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

BXCX posted:

I feel your pain brother :smith::hf::smithicide:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

My offline win percentage is 65? In MTGO it feels like I'm at 50% or lower. Guess it goes to show how much better the competition is online, at least vs. my lovely city. If only if wasn't such a bad program that makes me ashamed to spend money on it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

Pretty sure there's at least two that were at PT FRF but they both post v rarely.

Another dude on another forum I post on played in one random PT several years back and just scrubbed out and went out to visit the nice city it was being held in.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

Yup. gently caress this matchup. Absolutely.

gently caress it hard.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress it hard.

I've actually won that matchup..... I knew 5 of the people at my LGS were on Robots at the time, so I packed my sideboard with 4 Hurkyll's Recall and 4 steel sabotage.

I managed to BARELY win games 2 and 3.......so It is possible to win that matchup, but it is not easy.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress it hard.

Speaking of hosed up matchups, how do you beat Jund as Merfolk? Hope your opponent kills themselves with Bob?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Four Score posted:

Speaking of hosed up matchups, how do you beat Jund as Merfolk? Hope your opponent kills themselves with Bob?

Spreading Seas + Tidebinder Mage + Threads of Disloyalty,

depending on your main and board of course.

Not easy, you are not favored as fish, but certainly doable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Four Score posted:

Basically what Madmarker said, you lock down their beaters and screw with their mana, if you're running Threads, take their Goyfs.

Hope you get equal parts Lord of Atlantis and Master of the Pearl Trident so Maelstrom Pulse doesn't blow you out, side out Vials, they're pretty dead in this matchup.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Madmarker posted:

I've actually won that matchup..... I knew 5 of the people at my LGS were on Robots at the time, so I packed my sideboard with 4 Hurkyll's Recall and 4 steel sabotage.

I managed to BARELY win games 2 and 3.......so It is possible to win that matchup, but it is not easy.

I'm pretty sure the only two times I've beaten him was back in the days of Treasure Crusie when I was cleaning up against UR Delver by running 4x Chalice of the Void mainboard and I beat him on the dice roll. I thought UW Merfolk would be able to handle the matchup better but I was never able to stick a Stony Silence against him.

Zoness posted:

I feel like LGS drafts usually have this phenomemon if 1-2 players at the table are consistently more experienced than the rest. I think in terms of difficulty drafts go something like:

ELITE Team Test Drafts / Pro Tour Pods
GP Pods
Modo 8-4's / "Casual" team drafts with grinders
Modo 4-3-2-2 / Low REL large events
Modo Swiss / FNM or other frequent LGS drafts

basically if you draft on modo a lot you will probably consistently do well against your LGS

This seems about right, at the ones I run I've setup the prize structure for draft to encourage a more laid back atmosphere and to push the players who are serious about EV towards the concurrent Standard FNM (which pays out in store credit generously to the top 4-8 depending on attendance) since I've found that the players who won't play a low EV event on principle are also the ones who are more likely to be lovely with new/inexperienced players. It makes things much nicer for the draft event when the people who are consistently good at draft want to be there because they like drafting enough that they'll do it when the most they can walk out with is 4 packs and a promo. I've been considering adding an 8-4 FNM draft slot in place of the scheduled Commander FNM slot that literally zero players have ever showed up for, but I don't know if I'd ever be able to get enough people to fire the event.

That being said, one of my favorite things in the world is when a rando MODO grinder wanders in with the expectation of spiking the event and end up dropping early because their deck didn't work out like they thought it would since they make big plans on certain things wheeling, make bad reads on signals because they don't know that the 12 year old kid two seats down essentially picks cards at random, or have any awareness of how screwy an 11 person pod is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If my opponent plays Manabond and I Stifle it at his EOT, he doesn't have to discard his hand, correct?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

If my opponent plays Manabond and I Stifle it at his EOT, he doesn't have to discard his hand, correct?

It's one effect. Presuming you do Stifle it, you'll have to do it before he gets the choice of revealing his hand.
But yeah, if you Stifle the whole thing, the entire effect doesn't resolve, so he doesn't discard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Serperoth posted:

It's one effect. Presuming you do Stifle it, you'll have to do it before he gets the choice of revealing his hand.
But yeah, if you Stifle the whole thing, the entire effect doesn't resolve, so he doesn't discard.

I can stifle in response to him putting that ability on the stack at his end turn though, correct?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wait how are you guys getting your whole game history stats like that?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I can stifle in response to him putting that ability on the stack at his end turn though, correct?

Yeah. A smart player will put the trigger on the stack when he doesn't want to use it to bait out a Stifle.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah. A smart player will put the trigger on the stack when he doesn't want to use it to bait out a Stifle.

I've learned recently that Stifle is AMAZING vs Lands... Like, AMAZING.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

They don't get a choice. The effect goes on the stack (unless they miss the trigger, and since it's a "may" trigger, the fix is "it's a may trigger, you opted not to"), and you don't get a chance to respond after knowing whether they'd use it or not.

VV: Or they might put the trigger on the stack because it goes on the stack "on its own", and just declare that they won't use it. It's a minor thing, sure, but a Good Player should be doing it anyway, despite the mindgame potential.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 9, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Serperoth posted:

They don't get a choice. The effect goes on the stack (unless they miss the trigger, and since it's a "may" trigger, the fix is "it's a may trigger, you opted not to"), and you don't get a chance to respond after knowing whether they'd use it or not.

Right. I'm saying they can put the trigger on the stack with no intention of using it because normally they just won't put it on the stack if they don't want to use it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

From a highly technical rules perspective, the trigger is always put on the stack, but for the purposes of live tournament play, you might explicitly call out, "Manabond on the stack. Resolves?" if you want to bait a Stifle.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dang I'm not as bad at Magic as I thought.

quote:

Overall record: 317-173-22
Win percentage ignoring draws: 64.693878
Win percentage including draws: 61.914062

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Wait how are you guys getting your whole game history stats like that?

I posted a link earlier, http://xamleeg.kavu.ru/ it explains how to get your data from planeswalker points site and then you paste it in the page and it parses it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well, it happened. An rear end Formation Deck 4-0'd a daily event. This one seems to be a double combo deck with rear end Formation and the always reliable Rally the Ancestors combo.

4 Jeskai Barricade
4 Nyx Weaver
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Siege Rhino
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Wall of Essence
4 Wall of Mulch

4 Commune with the Gods
4 Rally the Ancestors

2 Assault Formation

1 Caves of Koilos
3 Forest
2 Llanowar Wastes
1 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
2 Temple of Malady
2 Temple of Plenty
4 Windswept Heath
2 Wooded Foothills

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, it happened. An rear end Formation Deck 4-0'd a daily event. This one seems to be a double combo deck with rear end Formation and the always reliable Rally the Ancestors combo.

4 Jeskai Barricade
4 Nyx Weaver
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Siege Rhino
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Wall of Essence
4 Wall of Mulch

4 Commune with the Gods
4 Rally the Ancestors

2 Assault Formation

1 Caves of Koilos
3 Forest
2 Llanowar Wastes
1 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
2 Temple of Malady
2 Temple of Plenty
4 Windswept Heath
2 Wooded Foothills

Lol you can probably make this for like 30 tix if you already have some of the lands, caryatids are only 1-2 tix online. Might be worth trying.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Lol you can probably make this for like 30 tix if you already have some of the lands, caryatids are only 1-2 tix online. Might be worth trying.

Its 116, but it can be made much cheaper by rearranging the landbase to not have Temple of Malady and to take out the Thoughtseize in the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
613-307-21
Apparently I'm actually coming up on my 1000th sanctioned match since I got back into the game.

What I find really interesting are the breakdowns by specific opponent. Find out who your local nemesises are!

• Locked thread