Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Starlord indicates they didnt have a 2nd date. Maybe there's none there because there isn't any there.

Your last 2 complaints are that it's a common scenario which isn't really a complaint as much as an observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Toady posted:

This fall on the CW.

You know, give it another ten years. I could totally see a legit Jurassic Park television series on TV.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Starlord indicates they didnt have a 2nd date. Maybe there's none there because there isn't any there.

Your last 2 complaints are that it's a common scenario which isn't really a complaint as much as an observation.

No, my last 2 complaints are that it's bland.

And if there's no chemistry or energy between the two leads, then why are they being given scenes where they have to verbally spar and ease in lots of exposition in between. Chemistry =/= Romantic Chemistry. It leads to clunky garbage like that scene.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

No, my last 2 complaints are that it's bland.

And if there's no chemistry or energy between the two leads, then why are they being given scenes where they have to verbally spar and ease in lots of exposition in between. Chemistry =/= Romantic Chemistry.

You don't know if it's bland because you've seen less than 2 minutes of it. Chris pratt is always fun to watch. People who believe that ideas and stories can be inherently bad or bland aren't making a legitimate criticism because every scenario can be called bland. The execution is what matters, and in this case, apart form Chris pratt being himself I don't see a real problem. there's not enough there to make an honest determination either way really.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Why do you think I'm talking about the full film?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

Why do you think I'm talking about the full film?

I think you're just being negative for the sake of appearing to have an opinion. i don't think you're really talking about anything at all.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I think you're just being negative for the sake of appearing to have an opinion. i don't think you're really talking about anything at all.

lmao somebody stop me! I'm out of control!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

lmao somebody stop me! I'm out of control!

No, you're just another boring nerd with canned opinions.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think you have a serious problem, man.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

I think you have a serious problem, man.
Welcome to CD

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I thought it was alright. :yaycloud:

edit: though the ladies' acting seems a bit wooden.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That was utter crap. Felt like a bad deleted scene.

Bit less optimistic about this now.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Yeah, bad scene. Still excited about the movie but if thats the extended look that supposed to get us to want to go...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Who cares about the acting in a scene with no dinosaurs. I'm just glad that Jurassic Park Starlord isn't going to be all >:| the whole movie

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Macaluso posted:

Who cares about the acting in a scene with no dinosaurs. I'm just glad that Jurassic Park Starlord isn't going to be all >:| the whole movie

Well, I'd be a little bit concerned since the director (and one of the writers) was hired based on Safety Not Guaranteed which had good dialogue and acting (according to wikipedia). If the only thing he is here for sucks as hard as that scene then I am worried. We all know he wasn't hired for his great visual eye or his action direction skills, that's what the cgi-artists and second unit is for, just like on every Marvel movie, or any other big blockbuster nowadays. With Jurassic Park you could say "Well that certainly was a Steven Spielberg movie", whereas with this you will probably say "well that certainly was some movie with cgi dinosaurs".

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This movie won't be good but I'm going to go see it because it has Chris Pratt riding a motorcycle with a gang of raptors and flying dinosaurs killing tourists.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The movie won't capture the same feeling you got when you were 8, so it will be a bad movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

The dialogue is atrocious and the scene is completely devoid of any kind of chemistry or energy?

There's no reason that two performers that charismatic should have such a banal and trite scene together.

Also, it's just really, really forced. She's the straight-laced businesswoman with a type-A personality! He's the wacky, carefree romantic!

It would slot perfectly in the middle of a movie starring Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl.

Unfortunately, these are the correct observations. Ah well.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

This movie went downhill the moment they revealed I-Rex wasn't called Diablosaurus Rex

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

That was a bad scene with poo poo acting and poo poo writing but I don't care because dinosaurs are rad. It's not like anyone expected this film to match or surpass the original in the first place, right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doflamingo posted:

That was a bad scene with poo poo acting and poo poo writing but I don't care because dinosaurs are rad. It's not like anyone expected this film to match or surpass the original in the first place, right?

I would have liked it if it wasn't apparently trying to be some kind of rom com bullshit in the middle of the dinosaur action.

I mean hell if Star Lord is the Raptor Man, why not have a few hanging out at his house? That's how Cheetah Man works.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That scene would have been 500% improved by some raptors just chillin in the background, wandering around, maybe fighting over a mouse.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

That scene would have been 500% improved by some raptors just chillin in the background, wandering around, maybe fighting over a mouse.

To be fair, pretty much every (non-raptor) scene in the history of movies would be improved by that.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this movie would be poo poo without star lord, be grateful spergs

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wow, that was surprisingly cringey.
I thought I was watching an unfunny tryhard Parks & Recs episode for a minute there.

If this is how Chris Pratt's going to act for the entire movie then I think he was horribly miscast.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I kind of liked that scene, and I agree that it's nice to see Chris Pratt be funny rather than stoic, like the trailers kind of portray him.

I do think its weird to market a dinosaur movie with a clip featuring exactly zero dinosaurs.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I kind of liked that scene, and I agree that it's nice to see Chris Pratt be funny rather than stoic, like the trailers kind of portray him.

I do think its weird to market a dinosaur movie with a clip featuring exactly zero dinosaurs.

They're going to be rendering the dinos until the very last day they can.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The problem with that clip isn't really the acting or the dialogue, there is just something really off with the pacing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

duz posted:

They're going to be rendering the dinos until the very last day they can.

Good, because they look like poo poo at the moment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm more worried that the dinosaur scenes will just be the same old poo poo and the CGI won't even be AAA work. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the new measuring stick, and if you're making a loving Jurassic Park sequel, you'd better strive to be as good or even better than what's come before. I know I'm too old for a new movie to reproduce what I felt seeing Jurassic Park for the first time, but I'm thinking more about the kids of today who will see this movie. If they watch it and say "those dinos look fake, this isn't as awesome as Planet of the Apes or Godzilla", then there is a problem.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It was a commercial on MTV right? Maybe it was just marketing trying to hit the right demographic?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

It was a commercial on MTV right? Maybe it was just marketing trying to hit the right demographic?

Also it was less than 2 minutes of the film and its obviously from the character setup in the very early portion of the movie. Calm down nerds

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm more worried that the dinosaur scenes will just be the same old poo poo and the CGI won't even be AAA work. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the new measuring stick, and if you're making a loving Jurassic Park sequel, you'd better strive to be as good or even better than what's come before. I know I'm too old for a new movie to reproduce what I felt seeing Jurassic Park for the first time, but I'm thinking more about the kids of today who will see this movie. If they watch it and say "those dinos look fake, this isn't as awesome as Planet of the Apes or Godzilla", then there is a problem.

I think some of you guys are really overestimating the amount of people who are going to think the dinosaurs look bad

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Macaluso posted:

I think some of you guys are really overestimating the amount of people who are going to think the dinosaurs look bad

Not only that, but these days making photo-realistic looking dinos is a lot easier than you might think for a big production studio with talented artists, I'm sure they'll handle it just fine.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Excuse me but it's not autoerotica therefore it is unacceptable.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
As long as it looks better than this, i'll be happy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Ah, I see we're at the bargaining stage.

This clip isn't damning for the whole movie by any means, but trying to excuse away that the scene is bad is really dumb. This is a bad scene. It could be a bad scene in a good movie, but we don't know that yet. We do know it is a bad scene in a movie with a bunch of cool dinosaurs so it probably doesn't matter in the long run.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
But its not that bad though. It isn't good, but I don't see why there is this sudden surge to slay the dragon of this scene.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
How strange that a 90-second dialogue only scene pulled from the middle of a movie no one has watched yet looks weird out of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mr.capps posted:

But its not that bad though. It isn't good, but I don't see why there is this sudden surge to slay the dragon of this scene.
Such is the way of all threads in CineD.

• Locked thread