Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Budget - $300-500
Source - Aune MK2 T1 w/ Genalex Gold Lion tube.
Isolation Requirements - any. soundstage/imaging is more important.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full sized, circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - warm mids with strong but unbloated bass presence. do not like shrill/bright treble or SSSSSSSSSSSSSibilance.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50s (I use these at work now), B&W P5 (too muddy), Shure SE215, Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 (my current primary cans, not a fan of the treble)

I listen to all sorts of poo poo but I think that tonal balance will match most anything I listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'd recommend listening to the HD600 and HD650. The 650 might be closer to what you want, but actually auditioning them with your amp and finding your own preference is likely your best bet.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Since I seemed to have maybe gotten overlooked on the last page?

taiyoko posted:

Budget - Preferably around ~$50, but willing to go up to $100 for wireless
Source - mostly my android phone, occasionally my computer maybe
Isolation Requirements - not particularly
Preferred Type of Headphone - Clip-ons, but I'm willing to give IEMs a shot.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I've liked the Koss KSC75 that I've been using, could maybe use a little more bass
Past Headphones - these are my current headphones for portability, I also have these for gaming and skype. Got them because my netbook only has a single combo audio/mic jack. I like them all right, a bit tight on my head after a while, and of course you look like a tool wearing them.
Preferred Music - Little bit of everything, but I mostly listen to either rock or pop music.

Looking for something primarily for my cell phone, with a microphone so I can answer calls without having to unplug my headset. I have Bluetooth 3 on my phone, if that that makes any difference in selection. Also hoping for wireless because I'm tired of worrying about breaking the area around the plug by shoving my phone in my pockets.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

PinnacleOrBust posted:

I'd recommend listening to the HD600 and HD650. The 650 might be closer to what you want, but actually auditioning them with your amp and finding your own preference is likely your best bet.

Those have been on my shortlist for a while, but I've no way to really audition them unfortunately.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
From the ~30 minutes I spent with both of them side by side on a Sennheiser HDVA800, I found the 600 more neutral, but the 650 was warmer with better bass extension. If these things really matter, the 650 might be worth it for you for the extra money. Personally I preferred the more neutral sound of the 600. Both were far from sibilant.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PinnacleOrBust posted:

From the ~30 minutes I spent with both of them side by side on a Sennheiser HDVA800, I found the 600 more neutral, but the 650 was warmer with better bass extension. If these things really matter, the 650 might be worth it for you for the extra money. Personally I preferred the more neutral sound of the 600. Both were far from sibilant.
I agree with pretty much everything here. I had the HD580 for 8 years which sounds as close to the 600 as you'll get, and I much prefer the 650. I listen to everything from classical to Top 40 to EDM.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Those have been on my shortlist for a while, but I've no way to really audition them unfortunately.

Gateway Mastering uses the HD650s. They're good.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

You can buy them used and likely make money off them. People dump them all the time for under $260 barely used.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

taiyoko posted:

Since I seemed to have maybe gotten overlooked on the last page?

http://theheadphonelist.com/holiday-buyers-guide-best-earphones-under-50/

There ya go

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Been reading over that list the past few weeks, and it's almost like there are too many options! Very helpful and informative but overwhelming at the same time...

I am looking for a cheap pair of IEM's, with the main goal of sound isolation and sound stage for movies. I'll be taking a lot of flights this year, and I want to be able to hear dialogue while watching movies from the iPad/Laptop/plane system. Will also be used for music while doing chores ect.

I'm not a headphone aficionado, and only have a few pairs of cheap Superluxe's (662F and 668B) for computer games while the GF is watching TV. Most of my music listening is on a pair of Paradigm Titans on the computer, and my H/T set up consist's of Paradigm Monitor 9's, so I can appreciate the difference between garbage and mid-tier, but don't have the "ear" after a certain point.

I've narrowed it down to a few $50-100 CDN models, but having trouble differentiating between them.

ETY-MC3 @ $87
RHA 450i @ $54.99
Vsonic VSD1S @ $48
Astrotec AM-90 @ $80

After reading the reviews, it looks like the ETY's might have the best isolation out there, but I'm assuming I can match that with some Comply tips on the other brands? I've also read that the bass is somewhat neutral, which might annoy me if and when I use these for music.

I'm leaning towards the RHA or Astrotec based on build quality alone, but open to any and all ideas.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the in line controls (only present in my top two options) would only work with an ipad/iphone and not a laptop? Mic is useless to me but toggling volume quickly and easily has it's perks.

Edit: Sorry Midorka, I thought your link was to Joker's huge list of his IEM reviews....

Reggie Died fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 6, 2015

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I haven't heard the 450i, I had the 350i though. The RHA seem like a solid option overall though.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I believe they are identical, just with the added inline mic and controls.

Do the stock tips provide decent isolation, or should I tack some on to my Amazon order? If so, any suggestions?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Reggie Died posted:

I believe they are identical, just with the added inline mic and controls.

Do the stock tips provide decent isolation, or should I tack some on to my Amazon order? If so, any suggestions?

I personally like double or tri-flanged tips for isolation purposes over Comply. I have no recommendations for any though, but the isolation is solid with standard.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Budget - 50-$100
Source - NI Traktor Audio 2 mk2 USB audio interface.
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - In ear preferably, but also very open to around ear. I REALLY value comfort, would like a head band up top. Need them to be open or semi-open so I can talk with them in/on.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Something neutral as I would be doing some light mixing.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Way too uncomfortable, too much pressure up top and sweaty.
Preferred Music - R&B, Soul, Hip-Hop, some electronic genres.

Been looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Fidelio-S2WT-Headsets-Earbuds/dp/B00BQ8RE8G - Only open-back in-ear I've seen in this range.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AUD-ATHAD500X-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B009S333U4
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-TAD500-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B005TCZJ00
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENMK1DW/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B0033PROOY - Like that there is no fake leather, love the detachable chord.

These look comfortable, I like the large cups. I've liked pioneer stuff I've had in the past, and the price is right.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-A1000-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0033PROOY

Spoke Lee fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 7, 2015

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Budget - $300-500
Source - Aune MK2 T1 w/ Genalex Gold Lion tube.
Isolation Requirements - any. soundstage/imaging is more important.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full sized, circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - warm mids with strong but unbloated bass presence. do not like shrill/bright treble or SSSSSSSSSSSSSibilance.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50s (I use these at work now), B&W P5 (too muddy), Shure SE215, Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 (my current primary cans, not a fan of the treble)

I listen to all sorts of poo poo but I think that tonal balance will match most anything I listen to.

In addition to the Sennheisers suggested I'll also put forth my favorite and current cans, Philips Fidelio X2. I auditioned a pair of HD600s and felt the X2 was just a little bit better than the HD600. The X2 I found to have tighter and more controlled bass with a more satisfying level. Treble on the X2 can be slightly grainy and isn't as smooth as on the HD600 but it depends on the music as to how much you will notice it. They aren't fatiguing in any way though. I regularly wear them for extended sessions and have never once felt like I just had to take them off. The sound stage felt wider and more open with the X2. However, with all that said, the X2 is a low impedence set of cans at 35 Ohms and may or may not sound as good with that amp. From the information I can find the headphone out impedance is listed as 10 Ohms which would be higher than you'd ideally want but in the end its down to what your own ears tell you. In the end the only way you can truly be happy with your choice is if you find some way to listen to anything you were considering on your own setup.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Budget - $50-$100 ( $150 if it'd be a really good fit that'd last me a few years. )
Source - ASUS VW246H PC monitor.
Isolation Requirements - mid. I have roommates who wouldn't enjoy hearing everything I hear, but they are also a room or so away.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full sized, either
Preferred Tonal Balance - it'd be used entirely for gaming/light music, so whatever suits that best.
Past Headphones - Sony Pulse ( little tight, wireless cuts out too often for my taste. ), and the ATH-AD700 ( loved loved LOVED them for the comfort, but they started dying awhile back, and are now totally dead. )

Main concern is comfort and longevity over sound in this case. I could tell the difference between the Pulse and the AD700, but as I only barely used them for music it didn't change all that much.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You can find either the Audio Technica AD900x or A900x used under $150 in great shape.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, just grabbed a new pair of AD900x's off Amazon for $159. As long as they are even something like the 700 in terms of comfort, I'll be happy.

I am kind of sad though they are just generic black. Actually their entire lineup outside of the 700's are black. Has there ever been an explanation as to why the 700's were kicking rad pink for whatever reason? I thought it was silly at first, but it eventually grew on me, and now I'm bummed out these 900x's aren't also pink.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Right now I'm really considering the Hifiman HE-400, too. What are your thoughts on those vs the HD600/650?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
I auditioned the HE400i and HE560 alongside the HD600 and HD650. I had pretty high expectations of the Hifiman offerings, but thought that they both sounded unnatural and veiled. I tried the HE400i on a few more amps and unamplified from a portable mp3 player they had lying around with no luck. Comparatively, the other magnetic planar headphones (Oppo PM 1, 2 & 3) sounded quite nice, if somewhat relaxed. Retrospectively, I think the demo models may have been damaged. Failing that, I just didn't gel with the Hifiman sound, but I'm looking for another opportunity to listen to them to be sure.
That's just my experience, I've heard some good things from other people.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Right now I'm really considering the Hifiman HE-400, too. What are your thoughts on those vs the HD600/650?

They sound good, but like the above poster said, a bit veiled. The HD600/650s themselves are somewhat veiled, but the HE-400 is a bit more.

With that said, they're definitely not bad, and some specific stuff sound absolutely amazing in it. The first time I heard Random Access Memories in it I was actually very impressed.

The cables, however, are terrible. I've seen multiple people complaining about it and I can attest that it's a nightmare. The default cable got defective very quickly, and the replacement got defective in like a month too. I fixed it myself and a few weeks later it failed at a different point. The cables, even third-party, disconnect all the time because of the unusual connector format. It's awful and very uncomfortable.

For reference I only had a cable fail on me once 8 years ago or so. I always take great care of my headphones and they last for years. I have never seen something so poorly-made as the HE-400 cables.

So yeah, I can't recommend them. The HD600/650 are great and safe picks.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Yeah HiFi man knows how to make a great looking and sounding product but they always shoot themselves in the foot with build quality.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Yeah HiFi man knows how to make a great looking and sounding product but they always shoot themselves in the foot with build quality.

Looking forward to the 1000 after your comment....

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Looking forward to the 1000 after your comment....

The comments on their sound have actually been lackluster. I put my name in the hat for beta testing them though so we'll see!

CptQuazar
Dec 10, 2013
Looking for a pair of cheapo in ear headphones, any advice would be appreciated:

Budget - £30 so about $50 max
Source - iPod
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Past Headphones - sennheiser cx 300 - they fit well, vmoda m80 - like the sound of them and them, but not comfy for long periods of time.
Preferred Music - Mainly for audiobooks and podcasts

Thanks!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

CptQuazar posted:

Looking for a pair of cheapo in ear headphones, any advice would be appreciated:

Budget - £30 so about $50 max
Source - iPod
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Past Headphones - sennheiser cx 300 - they fit well, vmoda m80 - like the sound of them and them, but not comfy for long periods of time.
Preferred Music - Mainly for audiobooks and podcasts

Thanks!

Can't go wrong with these. A few extra tips to choose which is most comfortable for you. They're on the upper end of your budget, but I think you'd be happy with the sound and isolation. Enjoy your audiobooks on the go without outside disturbance, etc. Etymotics typically have a pretty balanced sound. http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ/

edit: slightly cheaper and not just for kids, there's also http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Kids5-Safe-Listening-Earphones/dp/B005TOV0OM/

The driver is 6mm down from 8mm in the MC5. Not sure how much different they'd sound.

PinnacleOrBust posted:

I auditioned the HE400i and HE560 alongside the HD600 and HD650. I had pretty high expectations of the Hifiman offerings, but thought that they both sounded unnatural and veiled.

Elentor posted:

So yeah, I can't recommend them. The HD600/650 are great and safe picks.

Thanks for your input! I think I'll go for the HD650s. Or you know what, gently caress it, you and I both know I'm going to end up getting both. :pervert:

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 10, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
So newegg has the Klipsch X5 IEMs on sale for $70.

They got a couple of good reviews at headfi (I know, I know). Any thoughts on them here?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

One more question, anyone tried some Fostex T50RPs with the Shure 840 pads? How's the bass? (Extension, texture)

Croc Monster posted:

So newegg has the Klipsch X5 IEMs on sale for $70.

They got a couple of good reviews at headfi (I know, I know). Any thoughts on them here?

70bux is a good deal. head-fi is a good source IMO

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 10, 2015

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
So I have myself a pair of these :

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU

Which I got on a big sale a few years back and love them to death. Right now I really want a pair of wireless headphones or ideally a headset if that's not offtopic for this thread.

The wireless doesn't need a huge range, the main issue is using them is a huge hassle with my current workspace since there's no way of running the cable without it eventually dangling between me and the monitor or otherwise getting in the way. Being able to use it on my exercise bike (same room) would also be a +.

I definitely prefer the style that goes around the entire ear, and open-air is fine for me. Are there any good recommendations within the 100$ish price range?

E: If it matters I don't have any kind of adapter or whatever for bluetooth so that would have to be included or purchased seperately

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can anyone talk to sound isolation ability regarding custom fit versus tri flange? I have deduced that these two are the best in terms of sound isolation but cannot figure out which ones are actually best.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Can anyone talk to sound isolation ability regarding custom fit versus tri flange? I have deduced that these two are the best in terms of sound isolation but cannot figure out which ones are actually best.

Tri-flanged are excellent, but I would imagine that customs provide better isolation. Someone else will likely chime in with more knowledge though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Tri-flanged are excellent, but I would imagine that customs provide better isolation. Someone else will likely chime in with more knowledge though.

I am pretty sure Wizard (Dr. John Moulton) has posted charts on head fi from his audiologist books that acrylic customs actually have less isolation than certain types of tips, specifically I think tri flange and foam. Not sure if silicone customs have more isolation than acrylic.

Not everyone likes tri flange though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I am pretty sure Wizard (Dr. John Moulton) has posted charts on head fi from his audiologist books that acrylic customs actually have less isolation than certain types of tips, specifically I think tri flange and foam. Not sure if silicone customs have more isolation than acrylic.

Not everyone likes tri flange though.

What is the main reason to not like it?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

What is the main reason to not like it?

The feeling of being tentacle raped in your ears... probably. It's just a comfort/preference thing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tactical Lesbian posted:

The feeling of being tentacle raped in your ears... probably. It's just a comfort/preference thing.

I couldn't not quote this perfect username post combo, and I agree.

I have traveled a long time with IEMs and before I got my customs I swore up and down by the Shure Black Olive foam tips for both comfort and isolation.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of wireless headphones. Right now I have a pair of wired Bang and Olufson around the ear. Head fi recommends the Beats but I'm hesitant to jump into that pool. I've heard good things about the Jabra Revos but those got only mediocre reviews on head-fi which I've used in the past for my headphone buying with good results. Don't really have a budget but would be better to stay under one thousand.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
I've used two sets of flanged earplugs, one was a standard triflange 3M safety product for work and they were extremely uncomfortable.
I also have some Ear Peace silicon isolation bi flange plugs that I use for some concerts, which are really comfortable.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ochowie posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of wireless headphones. Right now I have a pair of wired Bang and Olufson around the ear. Head fi recommends the Beats but I'm hesitant to jump into that pool. I've heard good things about the Jabra Revos but those got only mediocre reviews on head-fi which I've used in the past for my headphone buying with good results. Don't really have a budget but would be better to stay under one thousand.

Is there a reason why you need wireless, or at least need wireless in the headphone itself? I know of at least one Bluetooth dongle that is intended to power low impedance headphones (IEMs) which aren't themselves natively Bluetooth. Something like that would give you a lot more choice in headphone than needing Bluetooth in the phones directly.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is there a reason why you need wireless, or at least need wireless in the headphone itself? I know of at least one Bluetooth dongle that is intended to power low impedance headphones (IEMs) which aren't themselves natively Bluetooth. Something like that would give you a lot more choice in headphone than needing Bluetooth in the phones directly.

I don't "need" them per se. I've just been irrationally annoyed by getting the cord tangled up at work and on my bus ride to work that I'd like to go completely wireless. I switch between devices a fair bit (computer, phone, etc...) that I don't particularly feel like messing with a dongle. Also, the ability to act as a headset for calls is a big plus since I don't have a hardware desk phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Knifegrab posted:

Tri-flanges are generally better.