Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.strangeassembly.com/2015/preview-desolation-row-doomtown-reloaded-faith-and-fear

Deedless Sloane, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

That may be one of the cleverest uses of the new bounty system I've seen yet. Early Law Dogs aside, I'm impressed by how the homes so far have functioned while maintaining flavor.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Sloane outfit #2 is awesome. Not booting your dude for it is probably too good. Can't wait to play it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Sloane outfit #2 is awesome. Not booting your dude for it is probably too good. Can't wait to play it.

I'm going to tinker with a deck that starts Sloane, The Fixer, and a few lil randos that basically pulls as many jobs as it can turn 1. Who's going to risk standing up to that kind of force right away?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm going to tinker with a deck that starts Sloane, The Fixer, and a few lil randos that basically pulls as many jobs as it can turn 1. Who's going to risk standing up to that kind of force right away?

You still boot home after the job. You also have to be unbooted to initiate a job. Sloane also does not grant the ability have booted dudes join posses. I think you'd still have to do one dude per job if you wanted to do that.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Hope you like hexes

http://teamcovenant.com/blog/2015/03/25/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall/

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't like Hexes :smith:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://run4games.com/dtrspoiler-faith-and-fear-chuan-jen-qi/

I love everything about this card.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

I would have been happy with a 4/5 cost and no upkeep. I want more starting options and the design team seems to think that giving a character influence means they have to have an upkeep. It's a lovely holdover from the old game and I hope they can get off it. Even if they print a bunch of 1inf guys and people start the game with 4-6 influence that's not the end of the world. Right not Jake Smiley is going in all my decks because a 2 cost guy that can sit at home and do nothing but provide 2 influence to not losing me the game at nightfall is excellent. Because this is a Morgan card, running a deck with 2 upkeep to start is more workable than other factions but it's still not ideal. She is a great card though and she'll slot well into my current Morgan horse deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Faith and Fear fully spoiled by a guy on the FB group who's store broke the street date apparently. Big huballoo about spoilers vs leaks and AEG closing and locking theads on their forums that talk about the cards not yet previewed. Seems stupid on their part to me, these things happen you just gotta roll with it rather than trying to contain it.

That said I'll spoiler the biggest story thing in the cards, which is pretty cool for people who played Classic

Nicodemus Whateley returns and is the new Mayor.

Whateley Estate - King of Diamonds, 4 Cost, 2 Control Points, No Income, "Dudes not controlled by this Deed's owner must boot after moving here. Controller Noon, Boot: Put a non-dude card from Boot Hill into your discard pile."(Recycle Jokers!!!)

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 1, 2015

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
AEG not handling PR in an efficient, mindful way?

That is a very meta April Fool's joke.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Faith and Fear fully spoiled by a guy on the FB group who's store broke the street date apparently. Big huballoo about spoilers vs leaks and AEG closing and locking theads on their forums that talk about the cards not yet previewed. Seems stupid on their part to me, these things happen you just gotta roll with it rather than trying to contain it.

That said I'll spoiler the biggest story thing in the cards, which is pretty cool for people who played Classic

Whateley Estate - King of Diamonds, 4 Cost, 2 Control Points, No Income, "Dudes not controlled by this Deed's owner must boot after moving here. Controller Noon, Boot: Put a non-dude card from Boot Hill into your discard pile."(Recycle Jokers!!!)

They already killed him off in the (not very well written) RPG metaplot. April Fools?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

In order to avoid being banned in the FB chat thread, I made a BGG thread and linked it back there with the spoiler images.

He definitely looks like a real card to me, incidentally a pretty drat good card.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Father Wendigo posted:

They already killed him off in the (not very well written) RPG metaplot. April Fools?

Pretty sure that's him at the end of Abram Grothe's story: http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/04/17/meet-story-team-brett-satkowiak/

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is there a concise summary of the plot of the original game somewhere? I've tried searching for it a few times, but since most of the discussion for the game was from fifteen years ago, it's a bit jumbled.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Fun Shoe
If there is, I haven't seen it. You can still find most of the old fiction online if you look hard enough, and the RPG guidebook Doomtown or Bust can still be gotten at reasonable prices. Kinda surprising no one's slapped together a storyline wiki yet.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a concise summary of the plot of the original game somewhere? I've tried searching for it a few times, but since most of the discussion for the game was from fifteen years ago, it's a bit jumbled.

Someone might have done a writeup in the FATAL & Friends thread. Someone started it at least.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

That settles it, I guess that's Nic then and now, then. An interesting set, as are the new 'Union' and 'Confederate' keywords. Morgan's new outfit isn't terribly awesome, but they weren't really hurting for something new anyway.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Morgan Gadgetorium looks like the kind of card that started out intending to do one specific thing, and then got overcorrected when it was deemed to powerful.

It's a neat ability, and I look forward to trying out decks with it, but that +2 drawback does more to limit the selection of gadgets than actually enable it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Morgan Gadgetorium looks like the kind of card that started out intending to do one specific thing, and then got overcorrected when it was deemed to powerful.

It's a neat ability, and I look forward to trying out decks with it, but that +2 drawback does more to limit the selection of gadgets than actually enable it.

I don't think it limits them too much, the only thing I think it really hurts is Flamethrower. Splashing in Quaterman and running nothing but 7s or better outside that, and starting Kyle and using him for the ability doesn't really restrict you from hitting on everything outside of Flamethrower. I mean that sucks because Flamethrower is a great card, but it's not like Forcefield is a bad card.

I do think you're right that it was a card that they wanted to make it more versatile and adding the +2 was unnecessary. A deck that wants to run it will build around that and all it really does is restrict what you can run in that deck for no reason. Even without the +2 I don't see the ability really being all that powerful compared to other outfits that are out there.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 3, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It doesn't help that it's competing with the best home ability.

At least they knocked it out of the park for Sloane.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It doesn't help that it's competing with the best home ability.

At least they knocked it out of the park for Sloane.

Hmm, I actually think The Sloane Gang has the best home ability but their new one is very good too. I think anytime an outfit can give you influence or control points that's top tier. Morgan had a good home that people are learning to get around, I remember people hated 4R when it first came out but now people see how good spells are and how nice it is to be able to cycle cards.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

InShaneee posted:

If there is, I haven't seen it. You can still find most of the old fiction online if you look hard enough, and the RPG guidebook Doomtown or Bust can still be gotten at reasonable prices. Kinda surprising no one's slapped together a storyline wiki yet.

Unfortunately Doomtown or Bust only goes to pre-Reaping of Souls. The Black Circle has some cool Whateley background stuff, but not much "current" info.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Hmm, I actually think The Sloane Gang has the best home ability but their new one is very good too. I think anytime an outfit can give you influence or control points that's top tier. Morgan had a good home that people are learning to get around, I remember people hated 4R when it first came out but now people see how good spells are and how nice it is to be able to cycle cards.

The big problem with 4th Ring's home was the lack of spells in core. That got shored up pretty quick.

Sloane's original home is great, no question there. I think being able to get deeds out for cheap means control and cash, though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

I've been kinda gripey about this. I don't much care for it, as it comes across as total fanwank.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've been kinda gripey about this. I don't much care for it, as it comes across as total fanwank.

Fan-wank is what AEG is based on though. I don't care for it when it bleeds into card balance but unfortunately that's what happens sometimes. While it would be cool if there were completely new characters all through Reloaded, the hardcores that are coming back from the old game want that continuation and unfortunately this game hasn't caught fire enough that it's going to be dictated by anything other than the hardcores.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Fan-wank is what AEG is based on though. I don't care for it when it bleeds into card balance but unfortunately that's what happens sometimes. While it would be cool if there were completely new characters all through Reloaded, the hardcores that are coming back from the old game want that continuation and unfortunately this game hasn't caught fire enough that it's going to be dictated by anything other than the hardcores.

I don't mind characters coming back, I mind it when returning characters come back after pulling off stupid poo poo that puts them dead center in the storyline. Especially when people know the poo poo he's responsible for.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't mind characters coming back, I mind it when returning characters come back after pulling off stupid poo poo that puts them dead center in the storyline. Especially when people know the poo poo he's responsible for.

I got into Doomtown after the game had officially ended and never cared about the storyline. I just recognize the character from being of 3 different cards in my Whateley collection. What's his story?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

I got into Doomtown after the game had officially ended and never cared about the storyline. I just recognize the character from being of 3 different cards in my Whateley collection. What's his story?

He's one of the people responsible for bringing Knicknevin (one if the main devils of Doomtown) into reality. He killed Wendy's dad, and a few others. Him sailing in and becoming mayor (after paying Sloane's gang to pull off the Election Day Slaughter) is silly.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

He's one of the people responsible for bringing Knicknevin (one if the main devils of Doomtown) into reality. He killed Wendy's dad, and a few others. Him sailing in and becoming mayor (after paying Sloane's gang to pull off the Election Day Slaughter) is silly.

Did he actually pay off the Sloane gang? I'm also curious as to how he pulled off the mayoral win, like defaulting via majority property ownership or being the only one to vote for themselves after Rod and Wil got killed.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Did he actually pay off the Sloane gang? I'm also curious as to how he pulled off the mayoral win, like defaulting via majority property ownership or being the only one to vote for themselves after Rod and Wil got killed.

Yeah. I haven't read the stuff packed into Faith & Fear yet, but he's apparently responsible for it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's a shame this game doesn't get more attention, it's my favorite card game since Magic. Netrunner's fun, but I find the asymmetrical part a turn-off. Not to get into a Netrunner vs. Doomtown debate though since they're both well-designed games, but I don't know why Doomtown gets so much less notoriety than Netrunner. Especially since it doesn't yet cost $250+ to get into the game, unlike Netrunner. Even the r/doomtown sub-Reddit has little to no traffic.

We have a few people who play Doomtown at my LGS, but they're usually busy with other things on the days I can get there. We're starting to run a Sunday Doomtown get-together since my friend and I are tired of playing against each other. I have a Sloane deck that controls the town square and gets control points on all my dudes, and he's got a Dead Man's Hand Law Dogs deck. I love shootouts and shootout actions, and the deck I have right now can pull out a cheating or legal full house most of the time. Even though it's my first good deck, I might end up swapping all those actions into a Blessed Law Dogs deck, because The Lord Provides is so incredibly powerful. Tutor and recursion for action cards in one card? The idea of chaining Unprepareds on opposing dudes every shootout is something I just need to do.

PaybackJack posted:

I can't wait to see an oddities of nature deck that runs 4x Pagliaccio in its opening posse.

I proxied this up last night, starting four of them and a Smiling Tom. They let him go wherever he needed to go, so the swarm was fun. It was hard to maintain a cash flow though because a lot of the abominations are quite expensive.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I mean, Doomtown is also a lot newer. I don't think Netrunner was a massive hit when it first came out.

I also feel like there's a lot more variance and unpredictability in Doomtown, which is fine but does make me a little less invested in the overall experience. I understand that I'm probably not playing the game at as deep of a level as intended, but I'm not sure how it could be too much different.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, Doomtown is also a lot newer. I don't think Netrunner was a massive hit when it first came out.

I also feel like there's a lot more variance and unpredictability in Doomtown, which is fine but does make me a little less invested in the overall experience. I understand that I'm probably not playing the game at as deep of a level as intended, but I'm not sure how it could be too much different.

The thing with the variance is that it's very much controllable when it happens unlike in Netrunner. In Netrunner you install ICE on R&D, on the Runner's turn they run, get past your ICE and hit on an Agenda and you basically "Well I did the best I could."

In Doomtown going into a shootout where you have a marginal to significant advantage is almost always optional. You really gotta play the long game and make those moments count because your window for winning the game are actually fewer and much farther between. If you want some good players play a non-shootout deck you'll get a better feel for how "not random" the game is. Then when you watch those same players become extremely aggressive with chumps and throw away guys you'll see how much of an element being able to bluff cards really is. Number one problem of new players is over aggression and number 2 problem is a lack of awareness about the risk/reward ratio in a shootout really is. These are things that are easy to see in Netrunner because you have standard odds and agendas rarely have a utility value for the Runner beyond advancing the win condition.

Also A:Netrunner was HUGELY popular when it first hit the market. It was super hyped after Gencon and they had a lot of issues, maybe not as bad as Conquest recently was, in getting product to people. I remember though so many players grabbed it up there was serious concern about player communities dropping it when that first Datapack didn't show up for two months. It sold really loving well though and put FFG on the map in terms of being a serious contender in the non-MTG card game arena. I mean if you're talking about old school Netrunner, it had a cult following but I'd say probably less than old school Doomtown.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I don't think doomtown will ever be netrunner popular but it seems to be gaining a lot of word of mouth steam locally at least. It has only been since February that there is a local base of players. We've been steadily adding players since then.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Only few people knew about Whateleys part in the Knicknevin-affair and most of them died during the final battle.
Nicodemus hedged his bets and survived with vast wealth of his mostly dead family. No wonder he is doing great.

And he's cool. Game always needs cool characters:

Issaries fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I recently caught up and bought my 2nd core and all the packs.

...and I don't know the first thing about deckbuilding. I guess the ranks and values matter for combat/lowball in addition to what the cards actually do?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Deviant posted:

So I recently caught up and bought my 2nd core and all the packs.

...and I don't know the first thing about deckbuilding. I guess the ranks and values matter for combat/lowball in addition to what the cards actually do?

Yes! Your draw structure is critical to your success in nearly every deck archtype.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yes! Your draw structure is critical to your success in nearly every deck archtype.

Arggh my Netrunner brain will not make sense of this.

I need some dudes...and some weapons for them....and some deeds..and some other stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Deviant posted:

Arggh my Netrunner brain will not make sense of this.

I need some dudes...and some weapons for them....and some deeds..and some other stuff...

Currently, the most popular draw structure is 3x16, three values (7, 8, and 9 in my Morgan deck), 16 of each, plus your starter dudes. It increases your chance of getting a full house, and give you a chance for 4 and 5 of a kind.

Most advanced players will build to that, and then chip away at it a little to add helpful cards. More than most games, you'll want to play a deck to figure out if your composition is right.

Another archtype is Action heavy decks that aim for straight flushes. These aren't quite viable yet (outside Sloane Buzsaw decks), but they were popular in the old game.

• Locked thread