Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Well, that $40 regional price didn't last long. He cut all the cash prizes and dropped it to $25 which is a lot more reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yep. Now to wrangle my friends together again to drive down.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Having just moved back east (Richmond) I may try and make it down there, also possibly to WV. Kinda wish there was a DMV/NoVA area one, but having two regionals within a day's drive is pretty great.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Like, I can see paying $15 for a pure cash tournament with some store credit for lower tiers (usually) but I'll leave that to the magic grinders.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Veritek83 posted:

Having just moved back east (Richmond) I may try and make it down there, also possibly to WV. Kinda wish there was a DMV/NoVA area one, but having two regionals within a day's drive is pretty great.

Yeah. Either games and stuff or game parlor would be perfect but nope. You'd think FFG would also recognize how much of a contribution to the community nova squad has done. Anyway, what store do you play at? I went to some store at a strip mall next to a really fancy Arby's and I heard the store had some drama and changing of hands. Is that store still around?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Raleigh has a super thriving community :shobon:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

alg posted:

No joke. I live ~2 hours away in Wilmington, next time I'm up there I'm bring my x-wangs.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah. Either games and stuff or game parlor would be perfect but nope. You'd think FFG would also recognize how much of a contribution to the community nova squad has done. Anyway, what store do you play at? I went to some store at a strip mall next to a really fancy Arby's and I heard the store had some drama and changing of hands. Is that store still around?

I just moved down here last week, so I have very little clue as to where is good/where is not. One Eyed Jacques is the closest place to me and they've got casual _____-Wing night on Thursdays, so I think I'm going to check that out tonight. There are a couple of other places just outside town that may or may not have X-Wing folks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

Right, as I've heard. The WV should've been given to the DMV area imo. There's the PA one for people around that area.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
And in lovely news, there's no longer an android app you can pull out to remind yourself whether R3-A2 or R2-F2 is the lovely one:

http://teamcovenant.com/guidokessels/2015/04/08/x-wing-companion-removed-from-google-play/

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Well the squad builder app is still up so you can always check that way.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Poopy Palpy posted:

And in lovely news, there's no longer an android app you can pull out to remind yourself whether R3-A2 or R2-F2 is the lovely one:

http://teamcovenant.com/guidokessels/2015/04/08/x-wing-companion-removed-from-google-play/

Both

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

Ya there will, the app just has to be changed around a bit. Remove the card images, just use descriptions for starts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there an ios app?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
When I originally tried X-Wing, a friend of mine taught it to me in a scenario situation, and I felt kinda hemmed in by my mission objectives and overall had a pretty miserable experience. I want to give it another shot, so I told my same friend that I wanted to do a straight up fight. He's got most of the releases aside from the super large ships, and while he offered to put together a force for me, I told him that I'd find some lists online and go from there.

So what I'm asking for is a good list for a beginner that hopefully won't get one-shot off the field. I don't have a faction preference, but I would prefer using at least two ships.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

When I originally tried X-Wing, a friend of mine taught it to me in a scenario situation, and I felt kinda hemmed in by my mission objectives and overall had a pretty miserable experience. I want to give it another shot, so I told my same friend that I wanted to do a straight up fight. He's got most of the releases aside from the super large ships, and while he offered to put together a force for me, I told him that I'd find some lists online and go from there.

So what I'm asking for is a good list for a beginner that hopefully won't get one-shot off the field. I don't have a faction preference, but I would prefer using at least two ships.

Its sort of hard to make a list without knowing what you have available. I always let them pick a ship they think looks cool, pick a named pilot for that with an EPT or something then fill the list with generic whatever ships.

TouchToneDialing fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 9, 2015

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

TouchToneDialing posted:

Its sort of hard to make a list without knowing what you have available. I always let them pick a ship they think looks cool, pick a named pilot for that with an EPT or something then fill the list with generic whatever ships.

I'm pretty sure he's got everything that's come out so far aside from the transport/tantive. How many of each model he has, that I don't know, but I figured I'd grab a couple of lists and toss them at him to see what he says.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
On my semi-annual uptick in interest in the game, as there's a tournament in a few weeks at a local shop where I just moved to and want to get up to speed on the last 6 months of stuff... or pretty much just Scum & Villainy I guess.

How has the new faction performed?
Or is there any go-to upgrades/content in the S&V releases that are must-haves for Rebel/Imperial?
Any particular new lists/strategies that have been leading things lately?

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Merauder posted:

On my semi-annual uptick in interest in the game, as there's a tournament in a few weeks at a local shop where I just moved to and want to get up to speed on the last 6 months of stuff... or pretty much just Scum & Villainy I guess.

How has the new faction performed?
Or is there any go-to upgrades/content in the S&V releases that are must-haves for Rebel/Imperial?
Any particular new lists/strategies that have been leading things lately?

I recommend the starviper pack for two copies of auto thrusters.

The drat m3a comes with two new cheap cannons.

The main pack comes with more z95s and the title to save the y wing.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
And the phantom has been nerfed but is still good, somewhat.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Neither :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I played some X-Wang.

Three games today, though they were all pretty good ones (I don't know how many games anyone gets through in a typical play session or whatever). First one up was me as Scum versus some Rebels. The opposing force was two A-Wings, a Y-Wing and a YT-2400, all with generic pilots plus various upgrades. This was my first time flying Scum, and I went with

Guri flying the Virago, Autothrusters, Inertial Dampener, Advanced Sensors, Calculation
N'dru Suhlak, Shield Upgrade, Cluster Missiles, Veteran Instincts
Hired Gun flying a BTL-A4 Y-Wing, Ion Turret, Unhinged Astromech, Flechette Torpedo

Honestly, the StarViper is fun as hell to fly, I dunno guys. Guri was actually MVP of that game for applying constant pressure, having great maneuverability, and surviving a ton of incoming fire with good agility plus Autothrusters. Calculation didn't do as much for me as I'd hoped it might so maybe I'll switch it for something else. Push the Limit? N'dru and the Hired Gun were a bit more of a learning curve as with N'dru I kept flying in too close to other friendly pilots and losing his extra attack die while the BTL-A4 title takes some getting used to since you no longer have turret coverage, but that Unhinged Astromech making all those hard three turns into green maneuvers is pretty great I gotta say. When you can get the double attack to happen it's pretty good, I should probably give Autoblaster Turrets a try. Definitely gonna run with Guri again though, I'm digging that ship so far.

Second game was me as Rebels against the store owner who was trying out dual IG-2000s (B and D). I was flying

Keyan Farlander, Heavy Laser Cannon, Advanced Sensors, Push the Limit, Engine Upgrade
Jake Farrel, Proton Rockets, Outmaneuver
Red Squadron Pilot, that one astromech that makes all 1 and 2 maneuvers green

Nameless Red Squadron pilot gave his life in the fight but not before knocking IG-88B's shields down to nothing, and from there it was a successful exercise in learning how to handle A-Wings and B-Wings for me. That B-Wing build works out pretty well and the maneuverability came in handy against two Aggressors each able to potentially attack with Mangler cannons twice in a combat turn. Fortunately I was able to take down IG-88B and from there it was IG-88D leading me on a merry chase while my two remaining ships stuck to his blind spots. I kinda feel like part of this victory was down to good dice luck on my part, even with extra attacks he had a hard time landing hits on me, but I still feel like he made me work for it.

Then the third game was an intro game, one X-Wing against two TIES, no frills. I played Imperials this time and got utterly pasted. One combat exchange saw a TIE swatted out of the sky with a single three-hit attack, it was all very cinematic and poo poo.

Picked up an Imperial Aces pack after hearing it's been out of circulation for a while, so now I could conceivably fly Imperials too if I wanted (albeit with limited ship selection).

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
4/10/13 I played my first two games of X-Wing. On 4/9/15 I played games 400 and 401... I've averaged better than a game every other day since I started, probably 99% of those on the tabletop as opposed to VASSAL. Just thought that was pretty cool!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I played Scum for the first time, and went easy on myself by bringing two almost identical ships: the IG-88B and C. The only differences were that one had a Heavy Laser Cannon and one had a Mangler Cannon and an Ion Cannon. Probably overkill on the two different cannons, but the slots were there and I was worried that the HLC would be out of range sometimes. Both my opponent and I forgot that you couldn't shoot if you were on an asteroid, so we were both doing it all game. Which was great, because I'm way out of practice and flying big ships was really difficult. They were almost un-hittable outside of range one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

Honestly, the StarViper is fun as hell to fly, I dunno guys. Guri was actually MVP of that game for applying constant pressure, having great maneuverability, and surviving a ton of incoming fire with good agility plus Autothrusters.
No, this is true and people don't give enough credit to guri. I was just laughing about it pages back cuz I wanted to practice NMM and wanted to give my starviper a royal look befitting a prince.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have a hankering to use Scum's Kath Scarlett next time I play, what are some fun things to use with her? I was thinking Anti Pursuit Lasers, Gunner, Expert Handling, Inertial Dampener, Mangler Cannon, maybe a Proximity Mine for fun, then pair her with a couple of cheap Scyks. Sound good, bad, indifferent?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Engine and K4 security droid

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Sounds a little overloaded personally. Cannons aren't good on her since you want to point your rear end at things to shoot and the cannon can't fire backwards. Gunner is good, but the K4 is also very solid. Mine are good on her since poo poo is chasing you around. I don't like Expert Handling personally, but it's not bad necessarily.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I haven't used Expert Handling yet but I like the idea of being able to barrel roll with a large ship when I'm trying to set up crazy rear arc shots. I'll probably ditch the cannon and go with a mine and the Engine Upgrade and try the security droid.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Doubleposting but whatever, now that I'm at home and can take a look at actual card values and such, here's what I'm thinking as far as a list goes:

Kath Scarlet (S&V)
-Engine Upgrade
-K4 Security Droid
-Expert Handling

Tanarii Point Veteran (Scyk) x2
"-Heavy Scyk" Interceptor
-Mangler Cannon
-Predator

That comes out to 99 points. The Scyks might be a little fragile without something like a Stealth Device but I'm liking the offensive potential.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kai Tave posted:

Doubleposting but whatever, now that I'm at home and can take a look at actual card values and such, here's what I'm thinking as far as a list goes:

Kath Scarlet (S&V)
-Engine Upgrade
-K4 Security Droid
-Expert Handling

Tanarii Point Veteran (Scyk) x2
"-Heavy Scyk" Interceptor
-Mangler Cannon
-Predator

That comes out to 99 points. The Scyks might be a little fragile without something like a Stealth Device but I'm liking the offensive potential.

I ran a very similar list last night and it fared poorly. Went zero for three, and I generally flew them well. I had Scum Kath with little more loading, and 2 Scyk Interceptors with Heavy Laser Cannons. The Scyks just prove too fragile to stand on the table. Three hit points is not enough to last against enemy fire, and they get blown into dust bunnies with a quickness. If you're going to use them, I recommend putting points into hull or shield upgrades. You're making them more expensive, but they're just TOO fragile without it. Or alternatively, run something else. I'm replacing my Scyks with Zs or Ys for the next time I play.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I played a bunch of casual games today and I came to the conclusion that the ship I enjoy flying the most out of all my experiences with the game is, funnily enough, the regular old TIE fighter. Howlrunner, Mauler and Gundark flying around with each other seems like a fairly effective team. Are there any reasonably competitive TIE builds I should try out?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cobbsprite posted:

I ran a very similar list last night and it fared poorly. Went zero for three, and I generally flew them well. I had Scum Kath with little more loading, and 2 Scyk Interceptors with Heavy Laser Cannons. The Scyks just prove too fragile to stand on the table. Three hit points is not enough to last against enemy fire, and they get blown into dust bunnies with a quickness. If you're going to use them, I recommend putting points into hull or shield upgrades. You're making them more expensive, but they're just TOO fragile without it. Or alternatively, run something else. I'm replacing my Scyks with Zs or Ys for the next time I play.

Good to know, thanks. I could swap Predator out for a Hull Upgrade each, or even drop the Scyks down to Cartel Spacers and use the extra points to give Kath a little something extra, a mine or a cannon to discourage people from deciding that facing her head on is the lesser evil.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Endman posted:

I played a bunch of casual games today and I came to the conclusion that the ship I enjoy flying the most out of all my experiences with the game is, funnily enough, the regular old TIE fighter. Howlrunner, Mauler and Gundark flying around with each other seems like a fairly effective team. Are there any reasonably competitive TIE builds I should try out?

Try 4 x Academy and 4 x Obsidian for maximum swarm. Or 2 x Academy, 2 x Obsidian and the 3 named you mentioned. Basically just lots and lots of TIE fighters and you'll do just fine.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Starvipers are kind of awesome.

Ran a list with Guri and Torkhil Mux and a couple of Binayre Pirates that Dulkor posted in the thread and thanks to some careful planning I took out an Echo list twice last night.

I have a question about Torkhils ability though, if I drop an enemy pilots PS to 0, does it go back up to 2 immediately if they have Vet Instincts?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AndyElusive posted:

Ran a list with Guri and Torkhil Mux and a couple of Binayre Pirates that Dulkor posted in the thread and thanks to some careful planning I took out an Echo list twice last night.

I have a question about Torkhils ability though, if I drop an enemy pilots PS to 0, does it go back up to 2 immediately if they have Vet Instincts?

No. They remain at 0. However, since it happens at the end of the activation phase, Roark and/or Swarm tactics can push the PS back up.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

AndyElusive posted:

Imagine it as a series of operations, not a modifier, and it makes more sense.

You pay 27 points for Luke Skywalker. He comes with his statline, including PS9.
You pay 1 point for Veteran Instincts. This increases his PS to PS11.
In-game, Torkhil targets Luke with his ability, which reduces Luke's PS to PS0 until the end of the Combat Phase.
Your Roark Garnet then targets Luke with his ability, which raises Luke's PS to PS12 until the end of the Phase.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Shockeh posted:

Imagine it as a series of operations, not a modifier, and it makes more sense.

You pay 27 points for Luke Skywalker. He comes with his statline, including PS9.
You pay 1 point for Veteran Instincts. This increases his PS to PS11.
In-game, Torkhil targets Luke with his ability, which reduces Luke's PS to PS0 until the end of the Combat Phase.
Your Roark Garnet then targets Luke with his ability, which raises Luke's PS to PS12 until the end of the Phase.

Then Luke Swarm tactics it to Wedge, who rapes your fleet.

(Also Luke is PS8)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for the info guys, good to know. I can really only think of one incident from my games yesterday where that knowledge would really have come in handy, but for the most part what a crazy ability. There were a few moments where my friend who was running Imperials would find himself with a unique TIE Interceptor pilot within range and the target of Torkhils ability and instead of shooting first would find himself shooting dead last and having to wait out the barrage of fire just to see if that particular pilot would make it out alive.

They often did not.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

loving Torkhil. I played a game against him and three sycks with HLCS. (One was Serissu). Good news, blew up one of the sycks and Seissu (She got within range one of Jan with autoblaster turret and had already lsot her shield). I got Mux and the other syck to 1 hull each, but couldn't finish it.

• Locked thread