Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also, I found it interesting that Miami is the location in FL instead of Key West which would've been my first guess.
Miami has gays and minorities.

Key West has Parrothead boomers who think drinking maragaritas while lounging on your boat and making sure there's never a whiff of progress so you can continue being a lovely 55-year old account manager wearing a Guy Harvey shirt and not think about how awful it must be not to be white, male and middle-aged.

:ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Even if the guy is a horrible murderer it's a lovely thing to cut off the murder's wife's health insurance in the final weeks of her pregnancy.

Yes it is, though it's important to be mindful of what would have happened had the killer been a regular civilian. You think that person's employer would care in the least about a wife in that case? People shouldn't get special treatment because their family members happen to be police.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes it is, though it's important to be mindful of what would have happened had the killer been a regular civilian. You think that person's employer would care in the least about a wife in that case? People shouldn't get special treatment because their family members happen to be police.

If there was a union it'd be their job to care so maybe.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes it is, though it's important to be mindful of what would have happened had the killer been a regular civilian. You think that person's employer care in the least about a wife in that case? People shouldn't get special treatment because their family members happen to be police.

If there was a personal relationship there, I don't see why not. My job broke rules for me when my wife was pregnant :shrug:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Only 11% of working Americans are unionized.

If there was a personal relationship there, I don't see why not. My job broke rules for me when my wife was pregnant :shrug:

Again, you're lucky to have this but the vast majority of Americans don't have this sort of fall back.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
His wife and child having health insurance until the child is born is the least of my concerns with this story, in fact I'm glad they still have coverage. They didn't murder anyone.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Even if the guy is a horrible murderer it's a lovely thing to cut off the murder's wife's health insurance in the final weeks of her pregnancy.

Why?

Or should I say, when it comes to all of the situations under which Americans can lose their healthcare due to no fault of their own, why should this situation come up any higher than a position that needs to be described with scientific notation?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Everblight posted:

Key West has Parrothead boomers who think drinking maragaritas while lounging on your boat and making sure there's never a whiff of progress so you can continue being a lovely 55-year old account manager wearing a Guy Harvey shirt and not think about how awful it must be not to be white, male and middle-aged.

You might want to look closer at some of those clubs in Key West down on main street if you think it's just Parrotheads there.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Why?

Or should I say, when it comes to all of the situations under which Americans can lose their healthcare due to no fault of their own, why should this situation come up any higher than a position that needs to be described with scientific notation?

It's bad when anyone loses their insurance at a critical time through no fault of their own, which is why we should advocate for this to happen less often and not more often.

I mean if we just want to :argh: POLICE :argh: then go nuts but I don't see why we have to use a pregnant individual to vent about ACAB

Some serious crab bucket arguments going on ITT

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

It's bad when anyone loses their insurance at a critical time through no fault of their own, which is why we should advocate for this to happen less often and not more often.

I mean if we just want to :argh: POLICE :argh: then go nuts but I don't see why we have to use a pregnant individual to vent about ACAB

Some serious crab bucket arguments going on ITT

Like I said, this happens to people and families that don't involve murderers. Why is this relevant to this particular situation? Perhaps you should start a thread about COBRA?

Are we going to talk about the eligibility of his family for student loans post-innocent man murdering? What the gently caress is this stupid derail about?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Don't worry, she worked hard to get that insurance*.

* - This is what a fiancee of a friend of mine who became a cop actually believes. She isn't smart enough to realize that she's literally saying she's whoring herself out for government benefits. Of course, she rails about the LAZY WELFARES all the time.**

** - Our friendship has become strained of late.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Radbot posted:

Like I said, this happens to people and families that don't involve murderers. Why is this relevant to this particular situation? Perhaps you should start a thread about COBRA?

Are we going to talk about the eligibility of his family for student loans post-innocent man murdering? What the gently caress is this stupid derail about?

It's relevant because someone pointed out that the reason the cop hasnt been fired yet (which is a valid thing to be concerned about) is because they're intentionally not firing him because it would cut his pregnant wife off from their healthcare

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I think the burden of proof is on those who argue that this particular woman should be given a benefit that very few other working Americans would get just for being laid off in a normal fashion, much less because their spouse was arrested and charged with murder.

I mean if your argument is "everyone should have insurance all the time no matter what!" that's fine, but that's not a real-world argument. I definitely feel personally for the woman and don't want to see her lose her insurance (as stated, her and the child are completely innocent in this) but it's not a "crab bucket" thought process to question this. It's an obvious double standard and it's unjust.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Radbot posted:

I don't know, since you're the one that started it? Exactly what point were you trying to make with that post?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's relevant because someone pointed out that the reason the cop hasnt been fired yet (which is a valid thing to be concerned about) is because they're intentionally not firing him because it would cut his pregnant wife off from their healthcare

I'm glad you caught on to why we're talking about this at all. My concern was the white-knighting of the poor murderer's family, when the poster in question hasn't said poo poo about people being laid off keeping THEIR health insurance in other threads.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You know you to fire a government employee for negligence you have to go through due process right. Unions jobs also usually require as a part of their contract some sort of process for firing someone for gross misconduct. I'm kinda surprised that this of all forums is where people are whining about due process rights jesus loving christ.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
As a progressive who advocates for the poor, I think in the interest of fairness we need to place an extreme financial burden on the cop's family at a delicate moment in their lives.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The statement read that they are actually waiting to fire him until after the baby is born. That isn't "due process" as much as "we're going to give this family a consideration that no other profession would get when caught on tape committing murder".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

You know you to fire a government employee for negligence you have to go through due process right. Unions jobs also usually require as a part of their contract some sort of process for firing someone for gross misconduct. I'm kinda surprised that this of all forums is where people are whining about due process rights jesus loving christ.

There is a big difference between using due process and what people are complaining about.

edit: if a steamfitter beat a man to death with a wrench, wouldn't you expect the same???
:goonsay:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

As a progressive who advocates for the poor, I think in the interest of fairness we need to place an extreme financial burden on the cop's family at a delicate moment in their lives.
The argument is that others wouldn't get the same benefit of the doubt, not that they should generally go gently caress themselves.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Unzip and Attack posted:

The statement read that they are actually waiting to fire him until after the baby is born. That isn't "due process" as much as "we're going to give this family a consideration that no other profession would get when caught on tape committing murder".

And this is different from all other cops who have committed murder recently how?

We all get that there is a double standard but wanting to punish a mother and her unborn child for the crimes of her spouse is pretty extreme.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

And this is different from all other cops who have committed murder recently how?

We all get that there is a double standard but wanting to punish a mother and her unborn child for the crimes of her spouse is pretty extreme.

The other cops didn't get to wait until their child was born to get fired? :psyduck:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Radbot posted:

I'm glad you caught on to why we're talking about this at all. My concern was the white-knighting of the poor murderer's family, when the poster in question hasn't said poo poo about people being laid off keeping THEIR health insurance in other threads.

Eat poo poo. I've argued for universal health care in plenty of threads including this one pages back. The fact that I don't feel the need to reiterate it every post and go full LF in calling for medieval torture of the guy in question does not mean I'm defending what happened.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

The argument is that others wouldn't get the same benefit of the doubt, not that they should generally go gently caress themselves.

And? We should give everyone the benefit of the doubt, not punish the wife of a murderer because we don't like police.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I agree. It was her decision to marry a violent racist psychopathic murderer, now she must live with the consequences. If we just killed all cops at conception, none of this would happen.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

And? We should give everyone the benefit of the doubt, not punish the wife of a murderer because we don't like police.
We don't give everyone the benefit of the doubt though. The fact that some people are given the benefit of the doubt and others aren't is favoritism.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Why are government servants even having children anyway, don't I get some say in this as a taxpayer? :bahgawd:"

JT Jag posted:

We don't give everyone the benefit of the doubt though. The fact that some people are given the benefit of the doubt and others aren't is favoritism.

We should, though. The solution is to treat everyone better, not to make sure everyone is treated equally poorly.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Yes we should[give everyone the benefit of the doubt]. We should also have universal health care. We aren't going to get there by only granting special privileges to those in positions of power.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

In non-insane strawman bullshit, here's an example of a right wing site coming up with something fairly funny

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/04/289349-turned-eight-republican-presidential-candidates-sims-dropped-white-house/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes we should. We should also have universal health care. We aren't going to get there by only granting special privileges to those in positions of power.

We're not going to get there by demanding a consistent level of poor healthcare across the board, either.

If you want to punish this woman because she married a cop, can you at least just say "I want her to face a burden because her husband murdered someone and that makes me angry?" There's no reason to take the baffling step of framing your indignance as somehow socially progressive.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We should, though. The solution is to treat everyone better, not to make sure everyone is treated equally poorly.
Maybe if people in power were legally treated the same way as the underclass they supervise (like poo poo) it'd give them motivation to do just this.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

We're not going to get there by demanding a consistent level of poor healthcare across the board, either.

I'd argue this is actually a better approach than allowing lovely treatment for everyone except the socially advantaged.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Step 1 in my plan to make things better for the poor: make things horrible for the poor.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How about we punish the kid and the next 6 generations with shameful dishonor?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Hey cool more strawmen!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Everblight posted:

The gays live in Hollywood, Wilton Manors, and West Palm. They only visit Key West now; it is inhabited by the aforementioned Parrotheads. In many ways Key West has gone way downhill...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hey cool more strawmen!

Even a glorious victory over an enemy made of straw is still a glorious victory.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

anonumos posted:

The gays live in Hollywood, Wilton Manors, and West Palm. They only visit Key West now; it is inhabited by the aforementioned Parrotheads. In many ways Key West has gone way downhill...

That's because everyone with half a brain has noticed that Duval St. is going to be ankle-deep by 2050. Hell, it already is when a storm blusters through once a week. One time I got caught out in it and was simply forced (forced, I tell you) to remain in an all-you-can-eat crab leg buffet for two hours.

It turns out I can eat several pounds of crab legs when the pressure is on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Step 1 in my plan to make things better for the poor: make things horrible for the poor.
Things are already horrible for the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes we should[give everyone the benefit of the doubt]. We should also have universal health care. We aren't going to get there by only granting special privileges to those in positions of power.

That's literally how we got all our social programs. New Deal, GI Bill, Great Society, they all started with heavy race and gender restrictions that let them give their benefits to privileged people. They were all expanded after the fact.

God drat, a bunch of ostensible liberals screaming about how dare someone not lose their health insurance due to corruption of blood. And apparently if you didn't chomp at the bit to gently caress over people here you are in full support of murder. What the gently caress is wrong with all of you?

• Locked thread