Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I was going to get an FZ6 to tide me over until I could get an FJ09, but yeah...free's free. It'll be about $700 to get it here.

(and I guess early 90s GSXR USD forks and bandit swingarms bolt up to get modern width wheels on it...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I had an 82 gs850 and it was wonderful. Like riding on a couch that made beautiful sounds that went at a moderate clip. I don't know who made that exhaust (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QLu2dcW2aI) but gee golly. I am p sure the 1100 and the 850 are completely different (chain vs shaft etc) but I really enjoyed mine.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
looks like the same clipon exhaust that the guy with the super loud hornet has.

I love the square looking 80's motorbikes. I'd love to see a modern throwback of those square bikes sometime.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nitrogen posted:

I love the square looking 80's motorbikes. I'd love to see a modern throwback of those square bikes sometime.

?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 5, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

don't be a jerk:

And now for my actual question, and it's probably a stupid one:

What's a good type of brush or other implement to clean bugs and crud out of plastic without scratching it? Anything special I should do or think about vs. cleaning a car? I've mostly used shop towels and rags, but it'd be nicer to use something a bit rougher to get the cruft off easier. Any suggestions? I just am being paranoid about scratching stuff.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I use simple green and a microfiber towel. That is usually how I wash almost all of my bike instead of using a hose.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I was going to get an FZ6 to tide me over until I could get an FJ09, but yeah...free's free. It'll be about $700 to get it here.

(and I guess early 90s GSXR USD forks and bandit swingarms bolt up to get modern width wheels on it...)

Oh yeah, do that. You're dad's old bike is cool but dude. Do you want to ride or do you want to have a nice old bike?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

What's a good type of brush or other implement to clean bugs and crud out of plastic without scratching it? Anything special I should do or think about vs. cleaning a car? I've mostly used shop towels and rags, but it'd be nicer to use something a bit rougher to get the cruft off easier. Any suggestions? I just am being paranoid about scratching stuff.

Most car parts shops will sell nylon brushes for alloy wheels which will be fine for that as well as cleaning any other bits that are hard to get to and/or easily scratched. If you're feeling really anal get a cheap electric toothbrush.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

nitrogen posted:

And now for my actual question, and it's probably a stupid one:

http://www.amazon.com/S100-12005L-T...S100+Bike+Clean with a Microfiber cloth.

It's magical poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

nsaP posted:

Oh yeah, do that. You're dad's old bike is cool but dude. Do you want to ride or do you want to have a nice old bike?

I want to ride, but I'm okay riding a super nice free old bike for a while.

If it was a basketcase that'd be one thing, but the thing is seriously perfect and GS' have pretty good part availability.

\/\/ It's way better than running and rideable. It's almost too nice to ride.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 5, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
If you want to ride, get something running and ridable, otherwise that thing is going to piss you off at every turn.
Project + DD is the way to go.
I learned the ultra hard way.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Welcome to the Cycle Asylum Schizophrenia Ward, where 80s UJMs are both revered and reviled.

80s and boxy writ large(st):

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

If you want to ride, get something running and ridable, otherwise that thing is going to piss you off at every turn.
Project + DD is the way to go.
I learned the ultra hard way.

Normally I would agree with this but he says the bike is mint and, presumably, been kept in good condition by his old man. Plus it's free. The usual caveats don't apply.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

$700 ≠ free.

However, it's worth triple that in sentimental value alone. The other thing this has going for it is it comes from the Wisconsin/Minnesota area, the mother lode of low mileage, single owner vintage Japanese bikes in the US.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Exactly, it's basically a heritage item at this point and it needs nothing. I just wish I could run better modern tires on it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have a lead on where I can buy a Lego man face shield vinyl? The eBay link is dead, and the main website for them (vintageinkonline.com) isn't up anymore

For reference:

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
I have a question about forks. 2009 ZX6R.

So a few days ago I noticed a slight sheen of oil on the fork lowers when I was putting on my disc lock, on both forks in equal amounts. I had just come back from a dusty ride so figured that some crap had gotten past the dust wiper and was holding the oil seal open, because what are the odds of both seals failing at the same time? So I tried the 35mm film trick ala http://sealmate.net. Having now spent hours staring closely at a component I never paid much mind before, I am completely unsure whether I have fixed it, made it worse, or done nothing at all. How much oil would one normally expect left on the fork legs after pumping them up and down a few times? Should it look exactly the same as after wiping it clean with a rag? Or is a very slight haze visible on the forks normal?

I've tried the whole procedure a few times now and the result is always the same - after running the film around the seal, the first stroke of the forks leaves a thick line of oil at the end of the stroke - after wiping this away and pumping a few more times, only a slight haze is left. But clearly visible, at least when looking closely with a bright flashlight at night (I have no garage).

Am I worrying to much or should I start planning suspension upgrades/bankruptcy?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You should expect no visible oil to be collecting. If you do end up having them redone and don't fix the seals yourself, it will save you a fair amount of money in my experience if you take the forks off the bike yourself and just take those in to the shop. You'll need a head stand to keep the front end raised without the front wheel / forks in place. Someone you know that rides bikes might have one with a pin that will fit a ZX6.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
How dumb would it be to mount a wideband O2 sensor and gauge on my carb'd FZR600? I wouldn't be data logging, just a passive "wow I'm rich as gently caress at quarter throttle" type thing. Taking it somewhere for a carb tune would cost about the same if it was 2 hours of shop labor...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

OSU_Matthew posted:

Anyone have a lead on where I can buy a Lego man face shield vinyl? The eBay link is dead, and the main website for them (vintageinkonline.com) isn't up anymore

drat; I got mine from Ebay and I was going to order another one as a backup.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

drat; I got mine from Ebay and I was going to order another one as a backup.

I still need one for my Icon Sensory. :sigh:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

XYLOPAGUS posted:

How dumb would it be to mount a wideband O2 sensor and gauge on my carb'd FZR600? I wouldn't be data logging, just a passive "wow I'm rich as gently caress at quarter throttle" type thing. Taking it somewhere for a carb tune would cost about the same if it was 2 hours of shop labor...

You'd probably need to calibrate it with a known good tune by having someone check the emissions from your tailpipe. As far as I know, most O2 sensors aren't going to give you a specific decimal value of gasses coming out, but will vary the current passing through them depending. It might be close enough to guess, but i'm a pedantic jerk and would want to check it out initially before assuming it's reading like i'd expect. You'd also need to modify your exhaust to place that badboy in there, and that could be interesting.

IMHO you'd be far better off getting something like this, and testing it in your garage: http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1835

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nitrogen posted:

You'd probably need to calibrate it with a known good tune by having someone check the emissions from your tailpipe. As far as I know, most O2 sensors aren't going to give you a specific decimal value of gasses coming out, but will vary the current passing through them depending. It might be close enough to guess, but i'm a pedantic jerk and would want to check it out initially before assuming it's reading like i'd expect. You'd also need to modify your exhaust to place that badboy in there, and that could be interesting.

IMHO you'd be far better off getting something like this, and testing it in your garage: http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1835

You can do it with a wideband O2 sensor - looking for reasonably close to stoichiometric ratio. It works reasonably well. You also can't really test in your garage as it's heavily dependent on load as to what ideal jetting is. This is why many dynos have brakes on them to help set the engine to a certain RPM and tune for a throttle position.

Innovate makes a decent sensor, I think motomind has the LM2 - he used it to get a very nice, smooth tune on his overbored/ported KLR.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Just how hard is it to replace fork seals on an 09 ninja? The ninja250faq doesn't make it look super easy but it doesn't seem nearly worth the $375 I was quoted by a local shop.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
it's not too hard to pull the forks on the ninja, that should save you a fair amount. I think I paid $180 for labor to have mine done off of the bike. But you'll need a headlift stand or hoist.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Forks are simple to do if you have the right tools and are careful, but if you don't have/aren't either of those just take them off the bike and give them to the shop. My forks on my ZX10r just cost me $150 to do (on the bike).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrod posted:

Forks are simple to do if you have the right tools and are careful, but if you don't have/aren't either of those just take them off the bike and give them to the shop. My forks on my ZX10r just cost me $150 to do (on the bike).
Not sure I agree with that, I think they're a pain in the rear end and they can easily go wrong even when you have the right tools.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is the Harbor Freight motorcycle dolly a good idea? It appears to have a similar design to other motorcycle dollies but it's a lot cheaper, and this month there is a coupon for %20 off one item. The bike in question is a Harley Dyna, not the lightest bike but not the heaviest either. I currently have to ride my bike into my garage (since the driveway is slopped downwards) and then turn it around in the width of my wife's car (about a 37-point turn) then back the bike up to get parallel to the back wall between the side door and freezer. Assuming a dolly is not too dangerous, it would make parking my bike a lot easier.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I use a craftsman motorcycle lift and just rest it on the brake for off-ground storage. Bonus = I use it for service too.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So a couple weeks back I took my front brake apart and put a new line on. However, there were still teeny teeny teeny tiny little bubbles in the line after an hour of ghetto-style bleeding, so I put the reservoir lid back on and then tied the lever back for a day to let anything drift up and out of the cylinder. It's been chilling out since then.

What are the chances of my piston locking up spontaneously? We're talking a 35 year old single-piston here.

(Also my reservoir window no longer has a "line" of fluid in it, it just looks full, are my brakes likely to lock up from being overfilled?)

:v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I got a GoPro knockoff (Xiaomi Yi) that I'll be using to record some rides. What mounting methods do people generally like? Helmet? Chest? Handlebar?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Odette posted:

I got a GoPro knockoff (Xiaomi Yi) that I'll be using to record some rides. What mounting methods do people generally like? Helmet? Chest? Handlebar?

Chinbar.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Product suggestions for cleaning out a dirt bike (plastic) fuel tank? Possible gas residue in there. I've been trying to figure out why my pilot jet keeps clogging on the XR100. After I clean the carb it'll be fine, then the pilot will clog again and it won't take throttle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rime posted:

So a couple weeks back I took my front brake apart and put a new line on. However, there were still teeny teeny teeny tiny little bubbles in the line after an hour of ghetto-style bleeding, so I put the reservoir lid back on and then tied the lever back for a day to let anything drift up and out of the cylinder. It's been chilling out since then.

What are the chances of my piston locking up spontaneously? We're talking a 35 year old single-piston here.

(Also my reservoir window no longer has a "line" of fluid in it, it just looks full, are my brakes likely to lock up from being overfilled?)

:v:

Pretty low. You can lock up brakes from overfilling them, just pop the cap off and see if it's full. Fluid expands slightly when hot, if it expands to the point that it fills the system entirely, it'll start to pressurize the system, applying the brakes and making it hotter until you run out of spare space and the brake locks up. But you have to get it really full to have that problem. Just pop it off and take a look, make sure it's full but not stupid full.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That's a fantastic solution. I even found a method for my particular helmet!

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's a good setup. A number of us in CA have that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Had a bit of a panic moment today after I managed to stall the cbf almost immediately after starting it (it had about 15 seconds at idle power only) and then couldn't get it to start again, I guess because the engine was flooded?

I ended up letting it sit for a minute after which it did start up (but quite weakly). Is there a particular procedure for dealing with this other than "don't let it stall in the first place"?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Try a chest mount (very cheap on eBay) if you have trouble with your helmet getting dragged around at speed.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I prefer a high mounted chest rig. Any first person footage I do is from there. I don't mind it attached to the top of my helmets either, but I feel like it invites trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

EX250 Type R posted:

I don't mind it attached to the top of my helmets either, but I feel like it invites trouble.

eh?