Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Tyro posted:

Hmm I will have to check that out when I get off work today...

Ah yes - working on weekends. Thankfully the only work I have this weekend is my EER. Also, we had a mini goon IMS meet last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

Another dramabomb is brewing on trailing spouses. :munch:

Jesus, the only thing I hate more than DOD people hating on State people for being spoiled is State people whining that DOD folks get it soooo good.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
What happened?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Leif. posted:

What happened?

The usual "how do I get out of a contract early/get benefits usually accorded military families" question.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

Ah yes - working on weekends. Thankfully the only work I have this weekend is my EER. Also, we had a mini goon IMS meet last night.

Nice. Thanks btw for looking mine over last week, I appreciate the feedback from someone with a not-from-my-bureau mindset...

Hooray overtime. :toot:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoots posted:

The usual "how do I get out of a contract early/get benefits usually accorded military families" question.

Getting out of a contract at State?

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

TCD posted:

Getting out of a contract at State?

How do I as a state employee get out of my phone or cable or whatever contract. They asked what magic words they can say to make companies think they're military and give them discounts.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

the_chavi posted:

Jesus, the only thing I hate more than DOD people hating on State people for being spoiled is State people whining that DOD folks get it soooo good.
I don't know about civilian DOD personnel, but one of the articles in an AFSA news daily last week was like a list of bills in Congress that would affect State employees. Like all of them were "do horrible thing to government employees' pay and benefits :siren: EXCEPT THE MILITARY :siren:"

Zoots posted:

Usually just by saying "I'm in the Foreign Service and I'm being sent to work in X place for X years please let me out of this contract."

There are certain phone companies that have a Foreign Service clause or something like that in the contract, but in practice they'll all work with you.

Also your own Foreign Service contract includes a lease termination allowance that I forget the exact name of but it covers your deposit when you have to break your lease (but is not applicable to your initial hire so I had to eat that deposit).

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
Just got an invite for the July IMS class! :woop:

Now I feel like Red from Shawshank on the bus to Zihuatanejo. I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Blooregard posted:

Now I feel like Red from Shawshank on the bus to Zihuatanejo. I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head.

Congratulations! You survived the gauntlet!

And I hear May A-100 invites are going out now too. Awesome!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blooregard posted:

Congrats! Someone at FSI can teach you the secret handshake once you get there.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yessss yesss we grow, we hunger.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

zzonkmiles posted:

Congratulations! You survived the gauntlet!

Huzzahs all around?

quote:

And I hear May A-100 invites are going out now too. Awesome!

I'm hoping to get in on the second round invites; there were about a half dozen people who came in above me on the register about a week before the invites went out.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

I got a IM ePAP job for 2016.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congrats to anyone who had Flag Day today.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Strudelmeyer posted:

Hey, that's awesome! EPAP jobs aren't easy to get.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Strudelmeyer posted:

dope! definitely let us know what the process is like. my wife may eventually do the same.

there's also a flag day happening on friday. I dont think we have anyone in that one.

For all you newcomers, I'm still at FSI until June and happy to answer any and all dumb questions.. I'll be finishing out 50+ weeks of training so if you see someone stumbling around in a hoodie, it's probably me.

GoodsMarch
Mar 11, 2013

The Mantis posted:

there's also a flag day happening on friday. I dont think we have anyone in that one.

There's actually two of us,

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Mantis posted:

so if you see someone stumbling around in a hoodie, it's probably me.

Dude it's FSI. That doesn't narrow it down at all.

So who all lost power in DC today? We played cards in my office for two hours.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

GoodsMarch posted:

Woah! In the generalist class? That's dope!

I'll likely be there. Will shoot you a PM.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

The Mantis posted:

I'm in the generalist class too. I don't pay for the ability to get PMs though. I need that $5 for fsi sushi.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
huh. Today my boss, in writing, claimed an order on behalf of the Front Office, and to direct staff accordingly....

....except the Front Office never said any such thing.

:munch:

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

qwertyman posted:

I'm hoping to get in on the second round invites; there were about a half dozen people who came in above me on the register about a week before the invites went out.

Just received an offer for the May class!

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
Anyone have any experience with the Meridian at Ballston Commons for housing? My family will be with me during the summer then moving back to finish out that semester of school.

It looks pretty nice with a sweet location, at least to a guy from the midwest.

Natural Ice
Mar 22, 2007
SPF 15

Blooregard posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Meridian at Ballston Commons for housing? My family will be with me during the summer then moving back to finish out that semester of school.

I'm currently staying at the Meridian and mostly chose it for the location. The metro stop is less than a block away and lots of good restaurants nearby. During the warmer months, it's a pretty comfortable walk (approx 20 min) to FSI as well. If taking the shuttle, it's the last stop on the way to school and first one back so makes for a shorter commute.

If I had the choice again, though, I probably would have opted for Oakwood falls church. Falls church typically is considered the most 'family friendly' location, and they regularly have lots of activities for kids running and there's a great vietnamese shopping center right next door with a brand new asian supermarket. It's a little farther to the metro at Falls Church, but they do offer a shuttle that runs between the oakwood and the metro station.

Really can't go wrong with either place, but would have liked the easy access to cheap banh mi sandwiches in retrospect.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Blooregard posted:

Is it the same Meridian as in Alexandria? If so, then it's awesome.

GoodsMarch
Mar 11, 2013

The Mantis posted:

Yeah, generalist. But I don't have PMs either. You can recognize me on flag day as the guy in the dark blue suit . . . . oh wait.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

qwertyman posted:

Just received an offer for the May class!

Congratulations, and good luck!

Oh, and isn't today Flag Day for the March A-100 generalists?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Yep! God I love thinking about what a ball of nerves most of them are.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

The Mantis posted:

Yep! God I love thinking about what a ball of nerves most of them are.

Please help me

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

QuackAttackAggie posted:

Please help me

Laugh

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
So?????? Where you guys going?

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

The Mantis posted:

^

What this guy said.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

The Mantis posted:

JAMAICA!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Nice!! Was it high on your list?

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

The Mantis posted:

dope! definitely let us know what the process is like. my wife may eventually do the same.

Reg: epap
I think the enrollment window is curretly open. It is best to get in early as the jobs open up long after the enrollment period. There are a fixed number of jobs Dept. wide too.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

The Mantis posted:

Nice!! Was it high on your list?

Yes. I had 21 highs. It's where I guessed I would go.

NovaDog
Dec 21, 2014

GoodsMarch posted:

Actually there's three of us in the March A-100 class.

Flag Day was a good time. None of us got a low (as far as I know).

GoodsMarch
Mar 11, 2013

NovaDog posted:

Actually there's three of us in the March A-100 class.

Flag Day was a good time. None of us got a low (as far as I know).

Right, sorry. I forgot to count you (I haven't been paying as much attention during A100, and forgot to figure out who you were at the beginning of A100--just went back through your old posts in the thread to figure out who you are--I'm glad you're here too!).

Flag day was fun (and nerve racking and suprising!). Do you think we can play bingo again at swearing in? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Man, home ownership sucks. What do you mean, I can't just call GSO and have them fix my leaking roof?!