Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So earlier I applied for a new grad position that asked for 5 references. The references were pretty easy, I put their email into the system, and the employer sends them a link to a short form to fill out.

Unfortunately, I didn't get in that round. I was however encouraged to re-apply when the position reopens in ~3 months. I am assuming that I will need the 5 references again.

Should I contact the people who were my previous references and see about re-using them, or should I contact a different set of people? My application this time will be stronger as I was just accepted to a BSN program, which carries more weight than just having applied to one. I'll also have less competition since every new grad on earth applied for this round (the last before graduation) while the next one will be at a less busy time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

jkyuusai posted:

For applications that ask for them, just don't fill it out or put some filler in about them being available on request. If a place pesters you for them before you've really had a chance to talk about the position, the company is dumb and you should remember that.

Everything I've read said this is a bad idea. "References available upon request" has always been a redflag whenever I've spoken to any manager in any of my previous jobs. Literally every job I have ever applied to required at least two references(usually in a plug and chug online form) before the application can be submitted.

Obviously all the people I use as references know that I am using them as a reference, and yes if it has been awhile I will just send them a quick email about it, but I have never heard of any job not asking for references during the application process. I've certainly had interviews where they ask to bring in a separate page of references for the HR recruiter, but that is, like I said, after I have already submitted references. This is all from personal experience, but I can tell you 100% I will never, and I mean never, not put references down in an application.

I work in clinical laboratory settings, for what it's worth, so obviously ymmv.

Fake edit: I still very much appreciate the advice and feedback, I hope I'm not sounding snarky, just explaining my take on references. Was mainly looking for an arbitrary number cutoff to use.

Even faker edit: Annath's application, where they were required to have 5 references that were sent an online link, was exactly the method my current employer asked for references. They used a third party company for everything references related, it was honestly kind of annoying. Mine at least let me log in and check to see if the reference had replied or not, and there was an option to re-send the reference link thing to them if they hadn't received it, accidentally deleted it, etc.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I feel like reference requirements depends a lot on field and experience level. I'm applying for entry level engineering positions right now and have only been asked for references once out of numerous applications. I put available on request and they still called to set up a phone interview.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anachronist posted:

I feel like reference requirements depends a lot on field and experience level. I'm applying for entry level engineering positions right now and have only been asked for references once out of numerous applications. I put available on request and they still called to set up a phone interview.

I've been in IT for nearly a decade and every time I've given references I've got the job but they were never called. Shrug.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Anachronist posted:

Phone interviews are way more upstream of checking references in the hiring process.

In general, for most white-collar office-type jobs, reference checks are only performed for one candidate (the one they've already decided to hire). Sometimes if it comes down to a difficult choice I guess it could be a make-or-break type thing, but regardless, if it's done, it's only done quite late in the hiring process.

In other words, if someone's calling your references, you've probably gotten the job already.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

My experience interviewing with a startup:

1. Skype interview with person who previously held my job. Very casual with basic interview questions. This was very much an initial screen that probably 20 other candidates faced to ensure you are confident/capable.

2. Skype interview with potential team. Three rounds of 2/3 person interviews, back to back to back. A little more formal with the questions, but still your standard interview questions and running through work experience. Questions were key at this point, as was writing down information as they gave. Several times later in the process information I was given was referenced and even double checked to make sure I understood the role, layout of the company, and team dymanics. At this point I could tell the team was very interested in having me join based on language.

3. Skype interview with a co-founder. This was rough, despite the most casual organization of the three rounds. They gave very little feedback during the interview and it was hard to read how I was being perceived. Definitely babbled on when asked to talk about myself for a second time (this question also opened the interview). At the end they said they had a good time talking with me, and to expect HR to get in touch.

Later that day HR contacted me, and they are set to talk with my references on Monday. The process was easy, but also nerve-racking. It is strange to look straight into the eyes of your future, after four years of make-believe college life.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Couple of questions about a resume. One, when they ask about salary history, should I include that in the resume or a cover letter? It makes me nervous to put a number down, since salary is a combination of a whole bunch of things, the bimonthly money is just (a large) portion of it). Second, I worked for an employer for 3 months about four years ago, I want to include this on my resume for the sake of accuracy and completeness, but I didn't have the tenure there to accomplish anything worth writing about, curious how you think I should handle it (I was not fired or anything, I was hired for a better job)

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

xxEightxx posted:

Couple of questions about a resume. One, when they ask about salary history, should I include that in the resume or a cover letter? It makes me nervous to put a number down, since salary is a combination of a whole bunch of things, the bimonthly money is just (a large) portion of it). Second, I worked for an employer for 3 months about four years ago, I want to include this on my resume for the sake of accuracy and completeness, but I didn't have the tenure there to accomplish anything worth writing about, curious how you think I should handle it (I was not fired or anything, I was hired for a better job)

I've been in the interview process for a few weeks now and am now starting to get these questions. I did a lot of research and I cannot find one compelling reason to EVER disclose your salary history. See this thread's first page, for example. Your current salary has absolutely no bearing on a new position - none, zero, zilch nada.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

Avoid putting salary down if possible. I'd also leave off the 3 month job as it doesn't showcase anything about you and the point of a resume is not completeness.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I have a phone screen coming up and, if it's anything like the others I've had in the past, current salary will come up. I used to say something along the lines of "I don't believe my current salary has any relevance with regard to the role we're discussing at your company." Sometimes recruiters would get flustered, but then move on to what I'm looking for salary wise. I've usually deflected that as well, but when pushed I give my pie-in-the-sky number I'd need to consider leaving my current job.

Would it be wrong/better to say something like "The company prefers I not disclose that information" when asked about current salary? I've just gotten the vibe that recruiters find my current answer confrontational. Additionally, is there a better way to deflect the salary-you're-looking-for question than "I can't really determine that until I know more about the role and specific expectations and responsibilities attached to it?"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

I have a phone screen coming up and, if it's anything like the others I've had in the past, current salary will come up. I used to say something along the lines of "I don't believe my current salary has any relevance with regard to the role we're discussing at your company." Sometimes recruiters would get flustered, but then move on to what I'm looking for salary wise. I've usually deflected that as well, but when pushed I give my pie-in-the-sky number I'd need to consider leaving my current job.

Would it be wrong/better to say something like "The company prefers I not disclose that information" when asked about current salary? I've just gotten the vibe that recruiters find my current answer confrontational. Additionally, is there a better way to deflect the salary-you're-looking-for question than "I can't really determine that until I know more about the role and specific expectations and responsibilities attached to it?"

" I have a complicated compensation package and would need to see theirs before I could feel comfortable determining what comparable pay here would be. "

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Please tell me how to have the "I know you just gave me a job last week and are really nice and friendly but I just got offered a better position" conversation with my employer. :(

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Liam Emsa posted:

Please tell me how to have the "I know you just gave me a job last week and are really nice and friendly but I just got offered a better position" conversation with my employer. :(

I think you just did.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Chaotic Flame posted:

My go-to is "I'm more concerned with making sure I find a good fit. Compensation is something I'd rather talk about once we're ready to move forward with an offer." Or something like that. It doesn't always work; nobody wants to flinch first in a negotiation.

If they press you on it, pivot into the salary range you're targeting to give them the information they want (can they afford you?) without losing ground because of your current or previous salary.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Help!

I took a job in a start-up. Based on the field, I thought, if there's anywhere that'll actually engineer software as opposed to bashing out code that "works", it's this place. Well, that didn't turn out to be true. Things are bad, there's no leadership, strong personalities dictate design with single sentences, and any disciplined approach is shot down by assuming an incremental transition is impossible (even when a transition plan is present in the proposal) and that the cost of making a change all at once is too high--that cost being whatever somebody who already doesn't want to do it comes up with in the moment. FUD is God, data collection is resisted and analysis on captured stats is dismissed as "lies and statistics and we just don't have time", and I'm out of ideas for how to fight it.

In short, I'm unhappy and I'm looking to move. Problem is, I haven't been able to accomplish poo poo here. My resume looks great, increasingly impactful accomplishments over a 12-year career, and then there's the last 6 months. I've got procedures I've started that are being halfheartedly followed by pockets of the staff, but it's way too soon to see meaningful results. I've been put on significant projects, only to find out in design review that another team is halfway through implementation. TWICE. I don't know how to work in this environment, and although I know that's my failing, I'd prefer for it to not be relevant, and it never has been to this level before.

This is a gap in my resume, and I don't know how to fix it. I can add bullet-points for new things I've worked with, but that kind of progression just isn't relevant for the level of job I'm going for. Any ideas?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Liam Emsa posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8tCQ5NunY

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll see how the phone interview goes. Maybe salary won't come up at all. :rolleyes:

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Do you guys have any advice for aptitude tests? I manage to get through to testing rounds with most companies for entry level positions, however I always seem to stuff up on the tests they give out, mostly inductive logic or numerical based questions. Is there a surefire way to get around these or do I just need to practice over and over?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Help!

I took a job in a start-up. Based on the field, I thought, if there's anywhere that'll actually engineer software as opposed to bashing out code that "works", it's this place. Well, that didn't turn out to be true. Things are bad, there's no leadership, strong personalities dictate design with single sentences, and any disciplined approach is shot down by assuming an incremental transition is impossible (even when a transition plan is present in the proposal) and that the cost of making a change all at once is too high--that cost being whatever somebody who already doesn't want to do it comes up with in the moment. FUD is God, data collection is resisted and analysis on captured stats is dismissed as "lies and statistics and we just don't have time", and I'm out of ideas for how to fight it.

In short, I'm unhappy and I'm looking to move. Problem is, I haven't been able to accomplish poo poo here. My resume looks great, increasingly impactful accomplishments over a 12-year career, and then there's the last 6 months. I've got procedures I've started that are being halfheartedly followed by pockets of the staff, but it's way too soon to see meaningful results. I've been put on significant projects, only to find out in design review that another team is halfway through implementation. TWICE. I don't know how to work in this environment, and although I know that's my failing, I'd prefer for it to not be relevant, and it never has been to this level before.

This is a gap in my resume, and I don't know how to fix it. I can add bullet-points for new things I've worked with, but that kind of progression just isn't relevant for the level of job I'm going for. Any ideas?
I think that if you have 12 years of proven growth and strong contributions, you'll be fine. Everyone knows how volatile start-ups are. Just mention that it's a start-up and that the job wasn't a good fit for your skills. Don't poo poo-talk them, obviously. If you had 3 or 4 6-month stints, that'd be a red flag. One, especially in your industry, isn't going to reflect poorly on you.

Besides that, why are you blindly firing off resumes if you're 12 years in? Get a recruiter to work for you or get a job through your network/connections.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
When applying to jobs, lots of sites do that bullshit where they ask you to type in your job title, work address, etc exactly like it's on your resume, but to do it in their system. When it comes to job duties/descriptions, do you need to write poo poo like a single sentence CV from your resume, or just copy/paste your resume bullet points? I never know what to do on this poo poo.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I work for Company X as a temporary/contractor employee. I'm employed by Recruiting Company Y and paid by them as well. Who do I contact when I want to leave?

edit:

I started working for the company this week. I've been contacted by a recruiter about a resume I had out for a different job. The job pays almost double and is nearby my house, whereas this current job is a 40 minute drive in traffic.

I feel like the only thing keeping me here is avoiding the terrifying prospect of telling them I'm quitting a month in. I'm an idiot to not take the other job, right?

Liam Emsa fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 9, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Liam Emsa posted:

I work for Company X as a temporary/contractor employee. I'm employed by Recruiting Company Y and paid by them as well. Who do I contact when I want to leave?

edit:

I started working for the company this week. I've been contacted by a recruiter about a resume I had out for a different job. The job pays almost double and is nearby my house, whereas this current job is a 40 minute drive in traffic.

I feel like the only thing keeping me here is avoiding the terrifying prospect of telling them I'm quitting a month in. I'm an idiot to not take the other job, right?

Take the other job, tell both companies - company X first.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Liam Emsa posted:

edit:

Wait until you have an offer in hand first. But yeah, "I got offered a position that pays double and is walking distance from my house", is about the best possible reason to quit, and no sane person would fault you for it.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
Need some etiquette advice from goons.

On Wednesday afternoon, I got an email from a company I'd interviewed with a few weeks ago. They said they thought I'd be a great addition to the team and offered me a job, saying that they'd work out a date and time to get me started in training. :woop:

I wrote back and said I'd love to join, and didn't get a response the rest of the day. I called Thursday to make sure that they'd gotten my email (which sounds paranoid, but I had another job interview that almost fell through simply 'cause the HR person had over-looked an email I'd replied to). The manager said that he'd gotten my response and was just in the middle of getting stuff sorted out for when to have me come in (they had also hired some other new people as well). He said he'd get back to me later on in the evening or the day after to figure when I should come in (most likely monday) to get started.

Anyway, it's now friday afternoon, and I haven't heard back. Seeing as how it took them a while to get back to me about if I'd gotten the job, I know they just tend to be a bit behind on stuff. However, I'm anxious in general and I'd like to know when I start so I can go about doing some other things (such as officially putting in my two weeks at my current job) . Should I call again monday if I don't hear anything by then ? I just wanna work. :saddowns:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mucktron posted:

Anyway, it's now friday afternoon, and I haven't heard back. Seeing as how it took them a while to get back to me about if I'd gotten the job, I know they just tend to be a bit behind on stuff. However, I'm anxious in general and I'd like to know when I start so I can go about doing some other things (such as officially putting in my two weeks at my current job) . Should I call again monday if I don't hear anything by then ? I just wanna work. :saddowns:
Never, ever put in your notice until you have a physical offer letter in hand. Repeat: do not ever give notice based on a verbal offer.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Never, ever put in your notice until you have a physical offer letter in hand. Repeat: do not ever give notice based on a verbal offer.

Just a note that some companies and some jobs don't send physical offer letters. You should have something in writing, for sure, but don't make them Pony Express you a written document; if you have an email confirming the terms of your offer then you're just as well off. You don't actually have any power to enforce an offer letter no matter what form it's in, but having it in writing in some way certainly does make it easier to get a company that has cold feet to do the right thing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bisty Q. posted:

Just a note that some companies and some jobs don't send physical offer letters. You should have something in writing, for sure, but don't make them Pony Express you a written document; if you have an email confirming the terms of your offer then you're just as well off. You don't actually have any power to enforce an offer letter no matter what form it's in, but having it in writing in some way certainly does make it easier to get a company that has cold feet to do the right thing.
The truth is always served in degrees, isn't it?

Yes, of course, a signed email document is just as good.

The offer letter will not protect you from them cutting the position before you start, particularly if you work in an employment-at-will state, unless there's an established pattern of behavior that is not interpreted by the courts as good faith. The offer letter is often considered a binding agreement for other aspects of the position, like salary or vacation, though exactly what this means varies state by state. Having the signed offer letter in hand protects you in the event that the company pulls a bait-and-switch.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
Seeing as how I have a written email offering me the job, and I've talked to them in person after I received the offer, I don't really think they'll pull a "fool you!!!". I'm just trying to figure out if it's too bossy of me to call them on monday and say "hey. anyway I can get a set date to get started?"

Edit: just got an email from them. Looks like they want me to start tomorrow. :unsmith:

Mucktron fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 13, 2015

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So I had my in-person interview day on Friday. Keep in mind I've done a phone screen, a phone interview and a Skype interview with one of the founders. On Friday, I had three 45-minute interviews with different VPs, lunch with two others, then gave a presentation on a random topic they gave me before I arrived, and finally two more interviews. And after all that, they said there are still two more rounds to go. Like bloody hell! This is insane!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Omne posted:

So I had my in-person interview day on Friday. Keep in mind I've done a phone screen, a phone interview and a Skype interview with one of the founders. On Friday, I had three 45-minute interviews with different VPs, lunch with two others, then gave a presentation on a random topic they gave me before I arrived, and finally two more interviews. And after all that, they said there are still two more rounds to go. Like bloody hell! This is insane!

Are they a startup or something? Having that many rounds sounds like they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Inept posted:

Are they a startup or something? Having that many rounds sounds like they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

It really doesn't. Are the other rounds at least something other than more interviews?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Inept posted:

They are a startup that has already gone through series C funding, so it's not like it's brand new (been around for 7 years). I originally applied for one position, went through three interviews, then they thought hey, maybe this guy with no experience in this other area would be a good fit there! So they brought me in for that all day nightmare. The next two rounds would be meeting with the EVP above three of the four people I met in person last Friday, and then the other co-founder. At that point, I will have been interviewed by approximately 7.5% of the total company workforce.

Edit: I emailed the HR lady to get reimbursed for my flight, and naturally she's out of the office. Awesome. I'd love to pay $510 for a flight to interview for a position I didn't apply for, and then get rejected because I'm not experienced with that part of the business. Meanwhile, I'm still a candidate for the original position, although the HR lady told me they are having difficulty finding good candidates. Um....why would you say that to a candidate? You either just told me that I'm not a viable candidate, or you have some quota to interview before offering me the job.

Omne fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 13, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Now taking bets that whoever is directing HR has five years of experience or less.

I've been through long drawn out interview and hiring processes before, but there was never a good outcome from them whether they resulted in me taking a position or not.

I wouldn't presume to say that the company is rear end-backwards yet, just based on the given information, but all of this is definitely a red flag that you should take into account when considering whether you want the job.

I may have missed this, but did they already tell you explicitly that you would be reimbursed for the travel costs? If so you shouldn't worry just because your POC for that is out of the office. If you were expecting to be but not told explicitly that you would be, you might be in trouble.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Inept posted:

Because many employees already work 14 hour days, startups are notorious for deciding that every person's time is completely and totally worthless.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I have a phone interview/screen with a medical clinic of sorts tomorrow, just an admin position. I'm an Australian who moved to the USA <2 weeks ago. Holy hell I hope I don't gently caress this up! Any Aussies in similar situations who can tell me the dos and don'ts? Keep weird Aussie slang to a minimum: check. I will do my best.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Richard Noggin posted:

I've been in the interview process for a few weeks now and am now starting to get these questions. I did a lot of research and I cannot find one compelling reason to EVER disclose your salary history. See this thread's first page, for example. Your current salary has absolutely no bearing on a new position - none, zero, zilch nada.
One of the edge-case counterexamples in that salary negotiation article is if you had a high salary set in a bubble, you can try to use it to anchor the negotiation in your favor.

Does that apply to geographic differences too? I'm moving from Silicon Valley to the midwest soon. The job I'm about to interview for goes through a recruiter, who kept bugging me for my current salary and a desired range. He said I could shoot high, as long as I don't go above $max. I'm okay making that much, but it's about a 25% drop from my current salary even after a cost-of-living adjustment between the two cities. I finally gave a desired range of $max-5k to $max+10k. He asked to reduce that to $max-5k to $max+5k before he gave it to the company, because he was pretty sure they weren't going to go for $max+10k. I agreed, though I mentioned that it's less than I'm making now after COLA. Other than that I haven't told them anything about what I make now.

How is this likely to play out? Is my next negotiation going to be with company HR instead of a recruiter, who could be more flexible on $max? Or should I aim for increasing benefits instead?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

HiroProtagonist posted:

Now taking bets that whoever is directing HR has five years of experience or less.

I've been through long drawn out interview and hiring processes before, but there was never a good outcome from them whether they resulted in me taking a position or not.

I wouldn't presume to say that the company is rear end-backwards yet, just based on the given information, but all of this is definitely a red flag that you should take into account when considering whether you want the job.

I may have missed this, but did they already tell you explicitly that you would be reimbursed for the travel costs? If so you shouldn't worry just because your POC for that is out of the office. If you were expecting to be but not told explicitly that you would be, you might be in trouble.

She's right at that mark. There's about 200 total people in the company. This process is definitely making me wonder about them. I get that they started me down one path, then pivoted towards a different position that I hadn't formally applied for. Of course, they could be using me as a patsy and I'm not a legit candidate for either position, but it seems like that'd be a colossal waste of time.

Yes, they said they would reimburse me for the flight (but apparently not the hotel). We were supposed to take care of it while I was on-site but got sidetracked during the interview shuffle.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Omne posted:

She's right at that mark. There's about 200 total people in the company. This process is definitely making me wonder about them. I get that they started me down one path, then pivoted towards a different position that I hadn't formally applied for. Of course, they could be using me as a patsy and I'm not a legit candidate for either position, but it seems like that'd be a colossal waste of time.

Yes, they said they would reimburse me for the flight (but apparently not the hotel). We were supposed to take care of it while I was on-site but got sidetracked during the interview shuffle.

Being offered reimbursement for interview travel, at all, definitely does not indicate you're a patsy. Or, if you are, the company is so mismanaged that it isn't worth your time.

That being said, travel reimbursement for an interview should include lodging and a relocation stipend accompanying an eventual job offer. If those are not on the table (ask about lodging now at least, relocation later on if it has not been discussed already) then that is a bad sign on the administrative side of things.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Captain Cool posted:

One of the edge-case counterexamples in that salary negotiation article is if you had a high salary set in a bubble, you can try to use it to anchor the negotiation in your favor.

Does that apply to geographic differences too? I'm moving from Silicon Valley to the midwest soon. The job I'm about to interview for goes through a recruiter, who kept bugging me for my current salary and a desired range. He said I could shoot high, as long as I don't go above $max. I'm okay making that much, but it's about a 25% drop from my current salary even after a cost-of-living adjustment between the two cities. I finally gave a desired range of $max-5k to $max+10k. He asked to reduce that to $max-5k to $max+5k before he gave it to the company, because he was pretty sure they weren't going to go for $max+10k. I agreed, though I mentioned that it's less than I'm making now after COLA. Other than that I haven't told them anything about what I make now.

How is this likely to play out? Is my next negotiation going to be with company HR instead of a recruiter, who could be more flexible on $max? Or should I aim for increasing benefits instead?

You shouldn't give a range. You state what you want. You may have a hard time pulling them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think I asked something like this before, but what's the proper way to refer a friend who's interested in working where you currently work? One of my fiancée's classmates is graduating this summer and wants to come work for my company, and my department specifically. Ignoring the fact that I wouldn't recommend anyone come work for us right now, to whom should I pass his resume material? I was thinking of passing it to the heads of my department and our HR director, with a quick message along the lines of "Hey I know this guy who wants to come work in our department, here's his stuff in case we have an opening in the near future" (which we will). Does that sound about right?