Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm against the state giving her a special deal because she's the wife of a cop and because there are people who are more in need than she is who won't get help because they didn't marry a cop.

I'm in favor of helping both families of cops and families of not-cops, and until not-cops are helped in equal measure I will tolerate the families of cops being helped as they represent what I believe all families should receive.

white knighting a pregnant woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

paranoid randroid posted:

You should see his grouping down at the bible range.

7.62 centimeter... full leather dustjacket.

Y'all there's an entire thread dedicated to cops / criminal justice and this case has been posted about there at great length you can take your slapfight thataway.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

whitey delenda est posted:

How does one "use" a bible? Like... to prop up a wobbly table leg, or maybe to kill bugs?

Exorcisms? Maybe if someone brings a Bible in Obama's presence before the Secret Service tackles them Obama will melt like the guy from Indian Jones?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Radbot posted:

The only way [I] score ... is by literally removing [agency] from a [woman] to make it ... what [I] want...

I hope things turn out okay for the baby, sins of the father and all that jazz.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying that she's only getting help because she married someone in a position of authority. That's hosed up and anti-democratic (even if its common).
She may well only be getting that treatment because she married a cop, but why would that matter? If they decided to help her because a ghost told them, it wouldn't matter either because the end result, a person instead of no person being helped, would be good.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I hope things turn out okay for the baby, sins of the father and all that jazz.

It will, because of Medicaid. Thank goodness for that, huh?

Again, the argument isn't helping a woman or not - it's about keeping her on private insurance or letting her use public insurance. Apparently public insurance is literally nothing to some people!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying that she's only getting help because she married someone in a position of authority. That's hosed up and anti-democratic (even if its common).

If we had universal healthcare like a civilized country, this wouldn't even be an issue and you wouldn't be making a fool of yourself.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

How does one "use" a bible? Like... to prop up a wobbly table leg, or maybe to kill bugs?

You hold it up and it magically justifies whatever random bullshit you're saying/doing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radbot posted:

Again, the argument isn't helping a woman or not - it's about keeping her on private insurance or letting her use public insurance. Apparently public insurance is literally nothing to some people!

Cancel your health insurance and figure out a new system of insurance and doctors in one month. Oh and be 8 loving months pregnant while doing so.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I want this pregnant woman to lose her current medical insurance due to the actions of a man. I am a progressive and a feminist

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Radbot posted:

It's better than nothing, but as someone who's been on both a Cadillac public worker plan and state Medicaid, there's a pretty big difference in flexibility, ease of use and face time with physicians. That little tyke will need all the help he can get, what with his lack of a proper, non-murderous father figure.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I want this pregnant woman to lose her current medical insurance due to the actions of a man. I am a progressive and a feminist

The only ethical thing to do is make sure she is treated as poorly as many others. We must treat everyone equally poorly or else the rain god will not bless us with Full Communism Now

Radbot posted:

You still have no idea if she qualifies for medicare or not. It's convenient for your argument to assume that she is, and the last time I pointed this out you accused me of being uncaring towards the poor and challenged me to prove my sincerity.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Actually the 19th Amendment like Obamacare has been a massive mistake.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Cancel your health insurance and figure out a new system of insurance and doctors in one month. Oh and be 8 loving months pregnant while doing so.

Or you know, pay your premiums out of pocket.

However the impacts of criminals' actions on their families is a tragedy sadly too often repeated.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 9, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You still have no idea if she qualifies for medicare or not. It's convenient for your argument to assume that she is, and the last time I pointed this out you accused me of being uncaring towards the poor and challenged me to prove my sincerity.

Nope. I pointed out that either she a) has health insurance through her employer, b) was not employed (and will thus be covered under Medicaid as their household income is now zero dollars), or c) eligible for subsidized insurance at the absolute minimum. Either the subsidized insurance or Medicaid would cover any birth related expenses. The question is why you think those options, which even non-murderer's families would face, are somehow worse in this situation.

I agree that it's crap that it's so inconvenient to transfer doctors or insurance, though that's not really germane to this discussion.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's better than nothing, but as someone who's been on both a Cadillac public worker plan and state Medicaid, there's a pretty big difference in flexibility, ease of use and face time with physicians. That little tyke will need all the help he can get, what with his lack of a proper, non-murderous father figure.

The kid would probably be better off being raised by people who don't require an oppressive police state for their personal comfort.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Are all the preggos dead yet?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

As justification for using your gun. Its right there on the shirt.

You'd know that, though, if it was taught in school.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You forgot d. The mayor personally or the union is covering her COBRA premium

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sing-a-long at the Marley Museum :2bong:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radbot posted:

I agree that it's crap that it's so inconvenient to transfer doctors or insurance, though that's not really germane to this discussion.

The inconvenience of transferring doctors or insurance isn't germane to a 'discussion' about having a pregnant woman transfer doctors and/or insurance?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Nope. I pointed out that either she a) has health insurance through her employer, b) was not employed (and will thus be covered under Medicaid as their household income is now zero dollars), or c) eligible for subsidized insurance at the absolute minimum. Either the subsidized insurance or Medicaid would cover any birth related expenses. The question is why you think those options, which even non-murderer's families would face, are somehow worse in this situation.

I'm a little amazed that someone could be this flamboyantly liberal and ignore the working poor so hard.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I'm a little amazed that someone could be this flamboyantly liberal and ignore the working poor so hard.

I dunno that's like liberalism 101.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

You forgot d. The mayor personally or the union is covering her COBRA premium

That'd be good to hear. Got a link?

I hope the city is providing free mental health services to the victim's family.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I dunno that's like liberalism 101.

It's fine, we'll teach them how to code by holding a Code-a-thon. Once that baby puts out its first app it'll be smooth sailing.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I hope everyone contributing to this derail loses their health insurance.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shoot thread. Plant taser.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I must confess that I care more about how a government governs its state as a whole rather than how it treats any single person. By giving 'charity' to select individuals to cover bad circumstances that they as lawmakers are largely responsible for, it allows a government to ignore the structural problems of its policies.

Sorry that I'm concerned about government accountability and am firmly against entrenched double-standards, I guess. That said I believe it is repugnant and regressive to think that a state should be allowed, nay, encouraged to assist whoever the hell it feels like assisting on a person-to-person basis.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unfortunately for the wife, empathy is an all or nothing commitment

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

JT Jag posted:

I must confess that I care more about how a government governs its state as a whole rather than how it treats any single person. By giving 'charity' to select individuals to cover bad circumstances that they as lawmakers are largely responsible for, it allows a government to ignore the structural problems of its policies.

Sorry that I'm concerned about government accountability and am firmly against entrenched double-standards, I guess. That said I believe it is repugnant and regressive to think that a state should be allowed, nay, encouraged to assist whoever the hell it feels like assisting on a person-to-person basis.

concern yourself about the cop shooting an unarmed man in the back 8 times and not with revoking health insurance from a woman at 8 months pregnant you moron

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
How is this even a thing in this thread
I used to think Amergin was annoying, but this really just proves you deserve him

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This argument is cool and good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

joeburz posted:

concern yourself about the cop shooting an unarmed man in the back 8 times and not with revoking health insurance from a woman at 8 months pregnant you moron
Go back to a subject we will all comfortably circlejerk over, because literally everyone in this thread already agrees on the shooting itself (it was bad). Don't promote debate or discussion about US Politics in the US Politics Debate & Discussion thread. Got it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Looks like Rick Santorum's PAC is going to launch it's own network TV crime drama based around ISIS haxing teh gibson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExyzEhJ_8Q

Patriot Voices: Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest [Coming this Fall on ABC]

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hahah what makes you think I'm a flamboyant liberal? And weak troll aside - I'd be interested to hear how that argument ignores the working poor - which this family is not apart of, based on SC police officer income data and SC census data.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Holy poo poo I honestly thought the city not kicking an 8 months pregnant woman off of her health insurance was an unequivocal Good Thing that everyone could be happy about. Instead there's six pages of arguing as if she's getting free healthcare for life and the baby is getting a free ride to college.

What the gently caress is wrong with some of you people?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Holy poo poo I honestly thought the city not kicking an 8 months pregnant woman off of her health insurance was an unequivocal Good Thing that everyone could be happy about. Instead there's six pages of arguing as if she's getting free healthcare for life and the baby is getting a free ride to college.

What the gently caress is wrong with some of you people?
And now we're back to the start of this dumb argument maze. I'm out of here until the subject changes.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

Looks like Rick Santorum's PAC is going to launch it's own network TV crime drama based around ISIS haxing teh gibson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExyzEhJ_8Q

Patriot Voices: Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest [Coming this Fall on ABC]

I thought you were being serious for like ten seconds, that is what the current state of US politics has done to me.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
this could all have been prevented if schools had a mandatory life skills course that taught people how to provide their own maternity care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dubstep Jesus posted:

this could all have been prevented if schools had a mandatory life skills course that taught people how to provide their own maternity care

The cop father definitely could have benefited from a life skills course on not murdering minorities.

• Locked thread