Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

I really wish the United States military put more fanfare behind remembering arguably the most important victory ever achieved in US history.

We're way too wrapped up in false WW2 narratives and Greatest Generation and Just War and whatnot to care about these things. Here's another WWII video game:

Also, 150 years ago, right about now, Lee is reading the terms of the surrender. Colonel Charles Marshall, Lee's primary aide-de-camp and uncle to the future Chief of Staff, is riding around Appomattox looking for a suitable building to conduct the negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm down with Bewbies positng the surrender stuff bit by bit every hour if he can. Interesting stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm down with Bewbies positng the surrender stuff bit by bit every hour if he can. Interesting stuff.

Hegel's gonna do 400 Years Ago starting next May, right? :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/appomatx.htm

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

vintagepurple posted:

I was born in Texas and while I'm a pro-union nerd (I own a reenactment uniform and kept a running 150th anniversary commentary of battles on facebook) and not a neoconfederate or anything, it does get kind of tiresome being told the whole south is trash forever by people on the internet. I'm glad it doesn't happen in real life.

I find that it's not that hard to be super loving pumped that the dead loving wrong side lost the civil war without being a total poo poo toward southerners today.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Have some gifts from war buddies to another.

Hitler gifted Mannerheim this beautiful portrait of himself. It would be interesting to know where it is now, I doubt Mannerheim cared too much for it especially after he became President and made peace with the Soviets.

These cars that Hitler gave to Mannerheim, on the other hand? Nice!

And they came fully equipped with leather seats and MP40.

Mannerheim got this statuette of Frederick the Great from Hermann Göring. Presumably stolen until a receipt is produced.

In return, Mannerheim gave this special Suomi SMG kit to Hitler.

The presents given to Finnish generals by their troops were usually a lot less luxurious but more useful than Führer's portrait. Finnish soldiers had a lot of time and tons of wood to carve during the trench war phase, and some generals received entire log cottages. This workbench handed to general Nenonen by his artillerymen is simpler

Nenonen was also given a a fireplace poker by his soldiers. In his thank-you letter to his troops he said that he will use it to direct fire in his home. This artefact can be seen in the Artillery, Engineer and Signals Museum in Hämeenlinna.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The NPS requested that bells across the country be rung today in commemoration of the surrender. I'm disappointed but not surprised that I haven't heard any in Oklahoma. I imagine the sesquicentennial has been a much bigger deal east of the Mississippi.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Unforunately I cannot as I have a stupid meeting for idiots but I do suggest everybody watch this as it is about the best media on the subject I'm aware of.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I forgot to add how weird Texas' relationship with Juneteenth is and how they celebrate it, but it's a commemoration of the time the Union finally forced them to release slaves well after they should have.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

I find that it's not that hard to be super loving pumped that the dead loving wrong side lost the civil war without being a total poo poo toward southerners today.

It's less "being a total poo poo toward Southerners" and more "certain emotionally-invested, screechingly vocal, incredibly sensitive Southerners can get very whiny about the subject and often purport to speak for all people of the South." If someone feels a positive connection to a culture predicated from the bedrock to the rafters on the existence of slavery as the main part of a social, religious, and economic identity then perhaps it is not the person celebrating the defeat and subjugation of that barbarism who is the one being a total poo poo. That's no license to just be like "gently caress you for being born in South Carolina" but it's sure as hell "gently caress you for thinking there was any form of justice or morality in the rebel cause or on part of its champions."

You know what Lee was doing up in Pennsylvania before being defeated at Gettysburg? He was capturing free, non-combatant black Northerners and sending them South in chains. He should have been shot in front of that courthouse and dumped in the nearest cistern and I'm glad his estate was turned into a national cemetery.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

It's less "being a total poo poo toward Southerners" and more "certain emotionally-invested, screechingly vocal, incredibly sensitive Southerners can get very whiny about the subject and often purport to speak for all people of the South." If someone feels a positive connection to a culture predicated from the bedrock to the rafters on the existence of slavery as the main part of a social, religious, and economic identity then perhaps it is not the person celebrating the defeat and subjugation of that barbarism who is the one being a total poo poo. That's no license to just be like "gently caress you for being born in South Carolina" but it's sure as hell "gently caress you for thinking there was any form of justice or morality in the rebel cause or on part of its champions."

You know what Lee was doing up in Pennsylvania before being defeated at Gettysburg? He was capturing free, non-combatant black Northerners and sending them South in chains. He should have been shot in front of that courthouse and dumped in the nearest cistern and I'm glad his estate was turned into a national cemetery.

Trying to figure out who you are arguing with.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

Trying to figure out who you are arguing with.

I don't think it's you, I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding it being easy not to have animosity towards someone just for being down there, but I find fewer people personally act like assholes towards Southerners than is normally believed, mainly because the voices taking umbrage upon hearing "yeah, gently caress slavery, gently caress the confederacy, america hell yeah" are very loud about it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

Hegel's gonna do 400 Years Ago starting next May, right? :v:
That's '16 and I should start in '18, que no? Great idea though, but many of us wouldn't live to see me finish.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Nenonen was also given a a fireplace poker by his soldiers. In his thank-you letter to his troops he said that he will use it to direct fire in his home. This artefact can be seen in the Artillery, Engineer and Signals Museum in Hämeenlinna.

There should be a holiday dedicated to this quip.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Scrapping and clawing for every inch, the French succeed in pushing the Germans off Les Eparges, which they've been trying to do for nearly six months. They now pause to reorganise themselves. Indian Expeditionary Force "D" has a new commander, and Sir Ian Hamilton's diary reaches a whole new stage of emo as he digests the suggestion from General Hunter-Weston suggests that maybe they should just jack it in and go home.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Nenonen posted:

The presents given to Finnish generals by their troops were usually a lot less luxurious but more useful than Führer's portrait. Finnish soldiers had a lot of time and tons of wood to carve during the trench war phase, and some generals received entire log cottages. This workbench handed to general Nenonen by his artillerymen is simpler

That is some quality work.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I don't think it's you, I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding it being easy not to have animosity towards someone just for being down there, but I find fewer people personally act like assholes towards Southerners than is normally believed, mainly because the voices taking umbrage upon hearing "yeah, gently caress slavery, gently caress the confederacy, america hell yeah" are very loud about it.

As a southerner born and lived most of my life, I honestly don't care if people lambast these here "Real 'murricans". I tend to stick to the cities and college towns anyways, which are by no means bright liberal lights shining in the darkness, but still considerably better than anywhere in rural bumblefuck South Carolina.

Hell I'm from here and I still don't know what the "Culture not pride" garbage is about, the south is almost entirely bereft of anything resembling culture, unless the weekly arguments on who has the most trailer trash relatives counts somehow. But I guess there is no arguing with a people proud that they lost a war. It's embarrassing really.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hell I'm from here and I still don't know what the "Culture not pride" garbage is about, the south is almost entirely bereft of anything resembling culture, unless the weekly arguments on who has the most trailer trash relatives counts somehow.

Well, that's the fault of all dem drat carpetbaggers! :argh:

But that brings up a more serious question - I've often heard it said that Reconstruction went wrong somehow, but I've never been too clear on the details beyond "Something something Yankee opportunists." So what exactly did go wrong (if anything) with Reconstruction? Was there ever much chance of it going right? And do the negatives effects of Reconstruction still affect Southerners in a real and direct sense today, as I've heard it alleged?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hell I'm from here and I still don't know what the "Culture not pride" garbage is about, the south is almost entirely bereft of anything resembling culture

Evidently you've never been to Charleston, or Nashville, or New Orleans, or possibly outside of your house.

Tomn posted:

Well, that's the fault of all dem drat carpetbaggers! :argh:

But that brings up a more serious question - I've often heard it said that Reconstruction went wrong somehow, but I've never been too clear on the details beyond "Something something Yankee opportunists." So what exactly did go wrong (if anything) with Reconstruction? Was there ever much chance of it going right? And do the negatives effects of Reconstruction still affect Southerners in a real and direct sense today, as I've heard it alleged?

Andrew Johnson went wrong with Reconstruction. You can blame him for basically rolling it back.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

bewbies posted:

Colonel Charles Marshall, Lee's primary aide-de-camp and uncle to the future Chief of Staff, is riding around Appomattox looking for a suitable building to conduct the negotiations.

The fact that he finds it at the homestead of someone who bugged the gently caress out of living near Bull Run is one of the more :aaaaa: coincidences in history.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Basically the Republicans started having trouble keeping their seats in the North East, which meant support for reconstruction eroded as more Democrats took office. Eventually the Democrats resurged throughout the south , Reconstruction ended entirely before the changes it wanted to put in (most visibly enforcing voter rights for minorities and decoupling the political system from the psuedo-aristocratic plantation owners) could take root leading Jim Crow laws and slowed economic growth throughout the Southeast.

THANKS JOHNSON

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Agean90 posted:

Basically the Republicans started having trouble keeping their seats in the North East, which meant support for reconstruction eroded as more Democrats took office. Eventually the Democrats resurged throughout the south , Reconstruction ended entirely before the changes it wanted to put in (most visibly enforcing voter rights for minorities and decoupling the political system from the psuedo-aristocratic plantation owners) could take root leading Jim Crow laws and slowed economic growth throughout the Southeast.

THANKS JOHNSON

That's a good nutshell look at it, It's really easy to blame Hayes for being the bagholder at the end but Johnson basically dropped the babby on its head on purpose as it was being formed.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Finland, why are you so endlessly amusing? :-D DDD

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

John Wilkes Booth did more to destroy the South with one bullet than William Tecumseh Sherman did with an entire army.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Scrapping and clawing for every inch, the French succeed in pushing the Germans off Les Eparges, which they've been trying to do for nearly six months. They now pause to reorganise themselves. Indian Expeditionary Force "D" has a new commander, and Sir Ian Hamilton's diary reaches a whole new stage of emo as he digests the suggestion from General Hunter-Weston suggests that maybe they should just jack it in and go home.

Speaking of Gallipoli...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmMWCHHKfX0

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I find it hard to blame Johnson for the problems of Reconstruction. Emancipation tied two different conflicts together: emancipation/civil rights for blacks, and preservation of the Union. The latter was resolved militarily, but the former wasn't. Grant enforced military reconstruction for eight years as President, and props to him for keeping it going until the end, but support for civil rights was never as great as support for Union. Scandals in Grant's administration divided the Republican party, and the Panic of 1873 especially, cost Grant a lot of political capital and increased support for both the Democrats and factions of the Republican party more concerned with, say, civil service reform than with keeping an occupying army in the south.

Johnson or no Johnson, Reconstruction was never going to have a happy ending.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

John Wilkes Booth did more to destroy the South with one bullet than William Tecumseh Sherman did with an entire army.

For some reason, lots of people like to assume that Lincoln's magic touch would have made the South love blacks if he'd been president through 1868. Bullshit. I'd rate him as the best president we've had, but the man wasn't perfect. Soft reconstruction policies would have been an abandonment of the civil rights effort every bit as much as the Compromise of 1877 was.

dublish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 10, 2015

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, the issue is waaaay more complex than what I summarized (ie, the rise of the "lily white" faction the in republican party, good old fashioned graft, etc) but Johnson is easiest to blame since he pussied out decided to compromise upon taking office.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Methinks, Sir Ian should have listened to his corps commanders. It would have spared my country the past 100 years of ludicrous patriotic flag waving over a failed landing at the bottom of a cliff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If anyone here is into planes, here are some Soviet trials of the Ju-87. Only 4300 Euros! There are some scanned pages though.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/FOTOALBUM-JU...cc#ht_788wt_720

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dublish posted:

Johnson or no Johnson, Reconstruction was never going to have a happy ending.

Assuming it needed an ending at all. Given what happened after it ended, there's probably a good case for it to have been an indefinite occupation with military force used to ensure civil liberties and forced land/wealth redistribution. The planter social structure that was there to begin with simply used the force of wealth/poverty rather than law to keep their high horse high and eventually regained a lot of the law power they'd had in place, just under different names. It's a shame it took until WWII for the world to figure out that you do indeed need to go after the Krupps and (Alfred) Rosenbergs and (in Rosenberg's case) hang the bastards to nail the coffin fully closed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hogge Wild posted:

Haha, are the finnish terms for "artillery fire" and "flame fire" similar?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Phobophilia posted:

Haha, are the finnish terms for "artillery fire" and "flame fire" similar?

Yep, "tuli" means both flame fire and fire from artillery. And the artillery term forward observer (who directs the fire) is "tulenjohtaja", literally "fire-leader".

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Military History Goons, we need more players in Grey Hunter's LP :siren:

We currently have a fun tactical war game going on in the let's play sub forum, run by Grey Hunter of LP fame. The scenario is a randomly generated map somewhere on the Franco-German border of WW1, in which the French and German armies are fighting for control of the map. The game is currently in 1914's maneuver stage, but will progress to 1915 soon, with a whole new set of rules!

We have goons set up along a military hierarchy, in which I am the top German commander. We pass orders down the chain of command and Grey resolves our moves concurrent with the French, resolving the battle according to the Great War Spearhead tabletop game rules. They're kinda arcane and lots are lost in translation but hey, that's the fog of war! We also cannot see the French without having units near them, so each side has incomplete knowledge of the enemy's position.

The reason I'm posting here is because the LP has three separate threads: One for the French, one for the Germans, and one for observers. Any who view and/or post in observer thread or French thread know about the enemy's positions and strategies, and are disqualified from joining the German side as a commander. I thus can't find any new blood from people already participating in the game - either they are already on the German side, or know the French plans to the point where joining us would be cheating. Some posters in the German thread suggested this thread might be a good recruiting spot as previous interest was expressed here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705107

Here is the link to the thread. We currently have the need for some new commanders, so come join us!

If you're interested in joining, check out the German thread and express your interest. Just remember, do NOT check the observer thread or the allied thread - doing so will disqualify you from the game as a commander.

Any French commanders, what's up! :wave:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 10, 2015

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

JosefStalinator posted:

:siren: Military History Goons, we need more players in Grey Hunter's LP :siren:

If you're interested in joining, check out the German thread and express your interest. Just remember, do NOT check the observer thread or the allied thread - doing so will disqualify you from the game as a commander.

Any French commanders, what's up! :wave:

I'm slightly interested but if I read the german thread would I ruin my immersion if I decide not to join because of time commitments? And or I have no idea how this LP will work.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm slightly interested but if I read the german thread would I ruin my immersion if I decide not to join because of time commitments? And or I have no idea how this LP will work.

Feel free to read the German thread and you can lurk on it for a while. If you decide it's not for you you can just go check out the observer thread (it's somewhere in the LP forum, not sure what page), and you can join the peanut gallery and laugh at all my horrible tactical mistakes. Just remember that once you peep the French positions, there is no coming back. At least not without being dishonest.

In terms of how the LP works, the rules used are arcane and Grey intentionally doesn't tell us all the information, because we are supposed to be learning as we go along - just like the commanders themselves in ww1. The main thing you do is check what your superior officer tells you to do, then make a post about how you want to move your dudes around. You're assigned a set of soldiers on the front, who will follow your commands. Nothing more complicated than an MSpaint with arrows/circles is needed to make clear orders.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

JosefStalinator posted:

Hey, toton, glad to see you haven't run to the hills yet! If need be I can arrange for some of our staff officers to serve on a temporary exchange with your forces, it'll make your surrender run much smoother :)

Seriously though, I'm commanding the Allied forces and I highly recommend the LP to anyone in this thread, it's already one of the better LP's GH has done and I know that at least in our thread it's been an extremely fun and informative ride. So sign up, even if it's for the losing side! You can always switch over once we switch into 1915.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Or just come to the peanut gallery and laugh at how incredibly incompetent at least one of the people above is. :v:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

my dad posted:

Or just come to the peanut gallery and laugh at how incredibly incompetent at least one of the people above is. :v:

Spoiler: it's not the Prussians :v:

e: :france::hf::britain::hf::canada::hf::australia:

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 10, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Generation Internet posted:

Spoiler: it's not the Prussians :v:

e: :france::hf::britain::hf::canada::hf::australia:

And here I was the whole time, thinking VI Korps was full of Bavarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Didn't we agree it was Alsatians? They're basically Frenchmen.

my dad posted:

Well, uh, sup Mr. Internet. I'm not gonna lie, I kinda wish we had a common thread we could taunt each other in more regularly, but things might get salty!

But seriously folks, resist the temptation to spectate and come join the rightful German cause :hitler::godwinning:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 10, 2015

• Locked thread