Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Its 116, but it can be made much cheaper by rearranging the landbase to not have Temple of Malady and to take out the Thoughtseize in the board.

Oh I didn't see the board but yeah sieze can be cut for budget reasons and temple of malady is overly expensive anyway. Rhinos and fetches are reusable cards that aren't bad to pickup anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Another dude on another forum I post on played in one random PT several years back and just scrubbed out and went out to visit the nice city it was being held in.

we all know you post on neogaf dude

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

whydirt posted:

Our FNMs are to the death, which has really cut down on paperwork and logistics.

Nice to know that some other goons play REAL Magic, the way Richard Garfield intended

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Oh and here is my stat thingy

Overall record: 182-91-12
Win percentage ignoring draws: 66.666667
Win percentage including draws: 63.859649

Sealed:
Overall record: 61-37-5
Total number of matches: 103
Win percentage ignoring draws: 62.244898
Win percentage including draws: 59.223301

Standard:
Overall record: 76-30-5
Total number of matches: 111
Win percentage ignoring draws: 71.698113
Win percentage including draws: 68.468468

Booster Draft:
Overall record: 20-8-0
Total number of matches: 28
Win percentage ignoring draws: 71.428571
Win percentage including draws: 71.428571

Apparently, I don't play a lot of Sanctioned Drafts :shrug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Do they do a full spoiler season for Modern Masters like they would do for other sets?

For some reason I just assumed it was a refresh of the last one and that the archetypes would be similar.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 9, 2015

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Overall record: 246-92-5
Win percentage ignoring draws: 72.781065
Win percentage including draws: 71.720117

:boom:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mikujin posted:

Overall record: 246-92-5
Win percentage ignoring draws: 72.781065
Win percentage including draws: 71.720117

:boom:

I think I'm the only person with a losing record. Then again I don't play events outside of FNM, so I'm free to bring Rally the Ancestors decks or show up to the Modern event with my Event Deck.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I think I'm the only person with a losing record. Then again I don't play events outside of FNM, so I'm free to bring Rally the Ancestors decks or show up to the Modern event with my Event Deck.

Thanks to Wizards' website being terrible it is completely impossible for me to actually get my match history, ever, but I've got a real bad record at everything that isn't fnm drafts.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Do they do a full spoiler season for Modern Masters like they would do for other sets?

For some reason I just assumed it was a refresh of the last one and that the archetypes would be similar.

Iirc last time it was a 1 week spoiler season.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Man, Crater's Claws is the source of a loving lot of MTG salt. I just Crater's Claws'd a dude in the daily for 14 when he had me at 1 and he was, how shall we say, unhappy. Its the topdeckyest of topdecks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

I posted my. 334 record. There is a bit of a selection bias here. People with bad records probably aren't going to post them.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Man, Crater's Claws is the source of a loving lot of MTG salt. I just Crater's Claws'd a dude in the daily for 14 when he had me at 1 and he was, how shall we say, unhappy. Its the topdeckyest of topdecks.

You didn't play with Bonfire, did you?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Angry Grimace posted:

My record is awful.

I play free on modern nights but I always drop after round 3, giving my opponent the win. So the best I can do is 2-1, if I lose round 1 or 2 it is recorded as 1-2, even if I win out in round 3.

I quit drafting when bng came out, though I usually went 2-1 in the swiss drafts at my fnm. I am really bad at sealed.

I kind of want to start a team draft league or arena league at my LGS. I think that could be limited that I'd enjoy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

No, but I am aware of both it and the Kibler gif. I just mean in the current standard its the only card I can think of that can take an overwhelming board state and turn into an instant win. I can imagine Miracles being a loving nightmare to have around though.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Joe Lossett is currently 3-0 in the daily with 4-Color Heroic because he wanted to splash for Temur Battle Rage and Dromoka's Command. His manabase features TWO UNKNOWN SHORES~!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Demonfire/Banefire were also great because your opponent would be sitting behind so counterspells, confident that they could deal with whatever, then PS Demonfire you.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Bonfire should be evergreen in Standard.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A little judge chat regarding player behavior. If I'm not actually judging an event but I am playing in it and a player does something that I think warrants a UC - minor can I issue the warning or do I have to go get someone else to do it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well, took the Temur Dragons deck to a 3-1 in the daily. Barely lost to Abzan Control(?) (had him on 3 and was hoping to top deck a Stormbreath or a Crater's Claws but no dice), beat RDW (I left Atarka in post board and mopped up a ton of dudes when I managed to ramp to it), Ascendancy Tokens (without any Enchantment hate, just Wild Slash and Seismic Rupture), and a second Ascendancy Tokens deck.

I'm surprised how much game the deck has against aggro in game one. Caryatid and Courser are just obnoxious as gently caress roadblocks and Savage Knucklebro was my all-star in most games. He's easily the best creature nobody is playing because he has silly color requirements.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Olothreutes posted:

A little judge chat regarding player behavior. If I'm not actually judging an event but I am playing in it and a player does something that I think warrants a UC - minor can I issue the warning or do I have to go get someone else to do it?

What REL is this?

If it's regular you can't issue USC Minor ever. You definitely can warn the player that their behaviour is unacceptable (if there's a different "official" judge, call judge instead).

If it's competitive ask them to stop their game, call judge. Of course you can't issue penalties yourself if you're not the judge here.

If it's professional, don't stop the game (you're not allowed), call judge.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, took the Temur Dragons deck to a 3-1 in the daily.
I wanna see this deck because I've been spitballing this deck at work but I can't seem to really make any real decisions on it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I wanna see this deck because I've been spitballing this deck at work but I can't seem to really make any real decisions on it.

Temur Dragons

//CREATURES
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Savage Knuckleblade
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent
1 Dragonlord Atarka

//SPELLS
2 Sarkhan Unbroken
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
3 Draconic Roar
3 Crater's Claws
3 Stubborn Denial

//LANDS
2 Shivan Reef
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Yavimaya Coast
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
1 Temple of Abandon
3 Forest
3 Mountain
1 Temple of Epiphany
1 Mana Confluence
4 Frontier Bivouac

//Sideboard
3 Wild Slash
3 Roast
3 Seismic Rupture
2 Whisperwood Elemental
2 Disdainful Stroke
1 Stubborn Denial
1 Sarkhan Unbroken

I'm pretty set on the main deck for now, but the sideboard is very much a work in progress though. I think Flamewake Phoenix could be really good against Control matches siding out the Coursers, but I haven't really gotten a chance to test that one out yet.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

rabidsquid posted:

Nice to know that some other goons play REAL Magic, the way Richard Garfield intended

Speaking of the way Richard Garfield, PhD intended, do the new build-your-own-FNM-format allow for ante?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My Temur Dragons list is fairly comparable, I just jammed Rattleclaw Mystics and Sagu Maulers in to replace Caryatid + Courser. I'm hoping to Live the Dream of turn 3 Sagu Mauler on a semi-regular basis.

actually my list is just a bad version of that because i cbf to get all the cards for it

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Overall record: 631-0
Win percentage ignoring draws: 100
Win percentage including draws: 100

Wow, I should sign up for a PTQ

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ungulateman posted:

My Temur Dragons list is fairly comparable, I just jammed Rattleclaw Mystics and Sagu Maulers in to replace Caryatid + Courser. I'm hoping to Live the Dream of turn 3 Sagu Mauler on a semi-regular basis.

actually my list is just a bad version of that because i cbf to get all the cards for it

Rattleclaw Mystic just wasn't good for me because they essentially do the same thing except Sylvan frustrates the gently caress out of RDW players. Same thing with the Coursers vs. the Rattleclaws.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
new LSV video, Modern Living Twin

Game 2 of this match against Kevin Crimin from Gathering Magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zZK8v5jno

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

What REL is this?

If it's regular you can't issue USC Minor ever. You definitely can warn the player that their behaviour is unacceptable (if there's a different "official" judge, call judge instead).

If it's competitive ask them to stop their game, call judge. Of course you can't issue penalties yourself if you're not the judge here.

If it's professional, don't stop the game (you're not allowed), call judge.

The event that made me want to know was at FNM, so regular REL. I wasn't aware that you can't issue UC minor at regular REL though. For the most part at FNM the official is also the guy running the register and there are 2-3 regulars, myself included, that are judges and help take calls if he is busy.

E: Rereading the IPG it might actually have been major. The guy is a regular at the store but isn't a great drafter or player. He's usually nice enough but can get frustrated and is just generally a little awkward. He was playing against the son of another regular who is probably about 12 and got frustrated enough with his deck not working that he slammed the table and sort of shouted about it.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 10, 2015

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Angry Grimace posted:

Please. I have a 24% win record.
Overall record: 12-38-5
Win percentage ignoring draws: 24.000000
Win percentage including draws: 21.818182
Honestly the most impressive part is that I gota 4-13-0 in standard, since I've only played in 3 standard events ever and all those were before I learned the concept of a mana curve or the different deck archetypes or even "playing good cards".
My MTGO record is much better, at about 50% and 3x the games played.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Olothreutes posted:

The event that made me want to know was at FNM, so regular REL. I wasn't aware that you can't issue UC minor at regular REL though. For the most part at FNM the official is also the guy running the register and there are 2-3 regulars, myself included, that are judges and help take calls if he is busy.

E: Rereading the IPG it might actually have been major. The guy is a regular at the store but isn't a great drafter or player. He's usually nice enough but can get frustrated and is just generally a little awkward. He was playing against the son of another regular who is probably about 12 and got frustrated enough with his deck not working that he slammed the table and sort of shouted about it.

The IPG doesn't apply to Regular REL events like FNM, because Warnings and other penalties aren't tracked at FNM. There is a Judging at Regular REL document (http://wpn.wizards.com/sites/wpn/files/attachements/mtg_jar_4.pdf) with advice on dealing with problems at FNM.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Game 2 of this match against Kevin Crimin from Gathering Magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zZK8v5jno

what an amazing game, watching him kill the dude with Hardcast dead shot minotaurs and fair splinter twins was hilarious.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If there was ever a time for Patrick Sullivan and his love of motley crews this would be it.

Edit: "Once I cast Jungle Weaver the game is kind of over" -LSV, 2015

Alaan fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 10, 2015

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sometimes you just gotta cast all four splinter twins to win.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wezlar posted:

what an amazing game, watching him kill the dude with Hardcast dead shot minotaurs and fair splinter twins was hilarious.
I also enjoyed Violent Outburst as a 1RG, reveal your entire deck combat trick.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nothing sucks more than having a land, Iron Myr, Genesis Chamber, and Confusion in the Ranks in hand as Norin EDH, having to mulligan 4 cards, no lands, mulligan 4 again to 3, no lands, 3 to 2, no lands, 2 to 1, no lands.

And then not draw a land for 7 more turns.

How

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Boco_T posted:

I like his modern decklists during the deck tech.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
FYI the Pro Tour's starting.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

someone who isn't me (because I'm not at my pc) should make a pro tour thread

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

qbert posted:

FYI the Pro Tour's starting.

Sadly not in it - and only one of my WMC teammates made it. But I'll try and make Vancouver happen instead. Have to crush through a 30'ish man RPTQ in 2 weeks though.

Prediction: Brussels will be won by a deck with 4 Thunderbreak Regent.

Lars fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Why won't MTGO let me open these spare Theros/RTR boosters I have?

• Locked thread