Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

I do not like this thing.

Aside from inspiration, any creative person that directly uses material from a piece that already exists is using a huge crutch. This Renegades thing is already standing on the crutch of the Star Trek universe, but to make a character that's the daughter of Khan is just sad and the actors/writers involved should be embarrassed. One of the largest criticisms of Into Darkness was reusing Khan because it's obviously a marketable easy and boring choice. Did they not get that memo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Apple Jax posted:

Aside from inspiration, any creative person that directly uses material from a piece that already exists is using a huge crutch. This Renegades thing is already standing on the crutch of the Star Trek universe, but to make a character that's the daughter of Khan is just sad and the actors/writers involved should be embarrassed. One of the largest criticisms of Into Darkness was reusing Khan because it's obviously a marketable easy and boring choice. Did they not get that memo?

Maybe she'll only talk about beloved Grandma McGivers, who died far too young, and never talk about her genocidal rear end in a top hat grandfather.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

iraqniphobia posted:

No joke I'm afraid.

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/category/str-news/web-design/casting/ (about halfway down)

edit: Just saw Eddie Furlong is in this too...has he done anything worth watching since American History X?
Yeah Dark Reel, a hilarious horror film. Also starring Lance Henrickson.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I love that they use traditional headshots for just about everyone else but for Chasty Ballesteros they have to do a pinup shot with her wearing lingerie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
About J.G. Hertzler "However, his “Star Trek” links go back to 1990, when he appeared in an episode of Quantum Leap opposite Scott Bakula, the man who became Jonathan Archer." :suicide: THAT'S NOT A LINK TO STAR TREK YOU loving SPERGES!

also Jonas Quinn is in this haha.

Also "Former Bajoran Freedom Fighter" sounds like he used to be Bajoran...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Snak posted:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apple Jax posted:

I do not like this thing.

Well how else are we gonna get the Joss Whedon barefoot-violent-woman demographic, I ask you?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't really have a problem with fan films being dumb action things, simply because its just hard to write a good Star Trek episode or whatever that is concise, entertaining, and meaningful. You just aren't going to get that out of anything except the most dedicated fan production. You only occasionally got that out of Star Trek TV as it is.

I mean, take DS9, I love episodes like "In the Pale Moonlight," "It's Only a Paper Moon," "The Visitor," or "Duet" as much as anyone but I also love episodes like "The Way of the Warrior," "Little Green Men," "Call to Arms," and "The Magnificent Ferengi." Those latter episodes aren't anything more than action or comedy episodes (just, of course, much better written and acted) and I'm not about to de-cry them for not being Star Trek enough.

Basically stop caring when fans make something as dumb as Star Trek Into Darkness because fans aren't going to be good enough or rich enough to make anything better. Care when a giant film studio with millions of dollars to burn makes something as dumb as Star Trek Into Darkness.

Edit: That logo does suck, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

About J.G. Hertzler "However, his “Star Trek” links go back to 1990, when he appeared in an episode of Quantum Leap opposite Scott Bakula, the man who became Jonathan Archer." :suicide: THAT'S NOT A LINK TO STAR TREK YOU loving SPERGES!

also Jonas Quinn is in this haha.

Quantum Leap actually does have tenuous connections to Star Trek, I think I read on the Tommy Westphal website.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's totally ludicrous is that you wouldn't have to simulate bodies or personalities at all. Holograms are just forcefield projections and light, so the computer ought to be able to just directly manipulate everything with forcefields. Tools would just hover in the air and work, material would just float over into the hopper or whatever, the hopper would just start moving automatically.

This always annoyed me about the doctor too. Sick-bay is fitted with tiny tractor beams so he can pick things up: why does he have to waste time walking around to get stuff when he could just have the computer levitate them into his hands. Why does he need tools at all when holographic or replicated ones could appear in his hands instantly? Why does he have to go enter stuff into his little laptop when everything he knows is in the computer already, wouldn't it be faster in an emergency for the EMH to just create the record files directly into the logs? Why is his field of view limited to where the representation of him is pointing when every inch of sick bay must be observed by cameras already?

But instead of thinking through the implications, they just made him a regular dude with a Pinocchio complex.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Basically stop caring when fans make something as dumb as Star Trek Into Darkness because fans aren't going to be good enough or rich enough to make anything better. Care when a giant film studio with millions of dollars to burn makes something as dumb as Star Trek Into Darkness.

Edit: That logo does suck, though.

It's just sad to see something like this when you have people like the ST:C guys pretty much nailing the tone of their source material.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cythereal posted:

In Gene's words, the Ferengi were supposed to be to the Federation what the Europeans were to the Native Americans.

Say what now?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

A bit off-topic, but I just rewatched this last night. Marc Alaimo is so damned good in this role that I think I'm starting to come around on the whole weird cult tangent. It's probably still the weakest subplot going into the end of DS9, but he sells it masterfully.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

This always annoyed me about the doctor too. Sick-bay is fitted with tiny tractor beams so he can pick things up: why does he have to waste time walking around to get stuff when he could just have the computer levitate them into his hands. Why does he need tools at all when holographic or replicated ones could appear in his hands instantly? Why does he have to go enter stuff into his little laptop when everything he knows is in the computer already, wouldn't it be faster in an emergency for the EMH to just create the record files directly into the logs? Why is his field of view limited to where the representation of him is pointing when every inch of sick bay must be observed by cameras already?

But instead of thinking through the implications, they just made him a regular dude with a Pinocchio complex.

why even have the ship when automated probes can do everything it does already, but better?

signed,
NASA

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HIJK posted:

Say what now?

Gene had intended the Ferengi to be a major new iconic villain, like the Klingons were to TOS, and his specific idea was that they'd be ruthless ultra-capitalists out to consume and exploit every culture they encountered, including the relatively primitive Federation.

That lasted about one episode.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FlamingLiberal posted:

The nacelles thing was supposed to be Starfleet's response to that one TNG episode where those aliens showed Picard how warp travel was destroying local space. But in reality that barely gets mentioned again, because it was dumb.

I know in DS9 they mention the warp limit being 6 but even that only happened maybe twice, it was a really stupid episode and I guess they were hoping people would just forget about it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know in DS9 they mention the warp limit being 6 but even that only happened maybe twice, it was a really stupid episode and I guess they were hoping people would just forget about it.

Memory Alpha says that they handwaved that away in a VOY internal technical manual saying new warp engines didn't gently caress stuff up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Delsaber posted:

A bit off-topic, but I just rewatched this last night. Marc Alaimo is so damned good in this role that I think I'm starting to come around on the whole weird cult tangent. It's probably still the weakest subplot going into the end of DS9, but he sells it masterfully.

Alaimo is loving magical and a big part of why DS9 is so great. I could watch a biopic of Dukat and he would make eating breakfast fascinating, the only better Cardie was Jon Irenicus.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mister Adequate posted:

Alaimo is loving magical and a big part of why DS9 is so great. I could watch a biopic of Dukat and he would make eating breakfast fascinating, the only better Cardie was Jon Irenicus.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

oh god i hear it in his voice

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Mister Adequate posted:

the only better Cardie was Jon Irenicus.

But seriously, Marc Alaimo and Jeffrey Combs made DS9's villains so much fun to watch.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Marshal Radisic posted:

oh god i hear it in his voice

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Add Jeremy London, Dean Cain, and Daryl Hannah to this list and its the worst SyFy movie, ever.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Someone has the Photoshop of Dukat as a muscular man dressed as a pink pony.

I know someone here has it!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

betaraywil posted:

Oh, see, I thought it was supposed to be a light sciency survey ship that could run out to a phenomenon and study the poo poo out of it. With its neural gelpacs. That's what neural gelpacs do. Right?

I wonder if anyone else had this level of confusion about the ship's purpose and capabilities.

Neural gelpacs were invented in the mid-90s, in the brief time before everyone realized (or really everyone read 80s scifi which predicted) that artificial processors would outstrip the human brain in the very near future.

Mister Adequate posted:

Alaimo has some interview where he says that Dukat was never a villain, but a misunderstood hero. Alaimo genuinely couldn't see that Dukat was a villain. He was perfect.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pakled posted:

Memory Alpha says that they handwaved that away in a VOY internal technical manual saying new warp engines didn't gently caress stuff up.

And in TNG they would just throw in "And Starfleet gave us permission to exceed warp speed regulations for this mission" so it would never actually have to affect the plot.

Although now that I think about it, this is probably better commentary on humans' response to environmental damage than the writers ever intended :v:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 10, 2015

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pretty sure that once the wars with the Klingons and the Dominion started, Starfleet stopped giving a poo poo about the speed limit anyway.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'm watching The Cloud for the first time since I skipped the first season of Voyager entirely, and I had assumed all this time that the episode involved a literal nebula of coffee.

It says a lot about this show that I didn't question my assumption for a second.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I figure the EMH was built upon a century of humanoid-centric artificial intelligence programming that was all based around emulating a humanoid bodyform. Programming the actual EMH, a massive project that it was, sits atop a huge amount of legacy work.

That's my wank. Really, you're right and it makes no sense. Holoprojectors as shown on trek are insane and should be fitted throughout the entire ship and basically make the ship itself telekinetic within its own bounds.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Solution: Hologram ships staffed by hologram crews.

Admiral 1: "Oh no, (insert ship here) just exploded!"

Admiral 2: "Good thing nobody died."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, there's a third Admiral just offscreen that caused the ship to explode to begin with.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

iraqniphobia posted:

No joke I'm afraid.

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/category/str-news/web-design/casting/ (about halfway down)

edit: Just saw Eddie Furlong is in this too...has he done anything worth watching since American History X?

Ugh, you could write whole papers about sexism in the film industry just from the character descriptions on this page.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iraqniphobia posted:

Apparently he was in a few episodes of CSI:NY and he had a supporting role in The Green Hornet. Those are pretty much the only things that would have reached a big audience in the last 10 years or so. It's quite a drop from Terminator 2 isn't it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gonz posted:

Also, there's a third Admiral just offscreen that caused the ship to explode to begin with.

and then another admiral walks in and goes "computer, freeze program"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is there a single starfleet admiral who isn't shown to be either evil or incompetent? Ever?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kirk was an admiral in the films for a while and the one off of DS9 that wasn't the insufferable Rusdian lady admiral was pretty cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Is there a single starfleet admiral who isn't shown to be either evil or incompetent? Ever?

Admiral Ross did a brief bit of necessary evil but on the whole was a pretty awesome workhorse.

There were a fair few generic one-off admirals that were okay. Like Adm Walk Out Of Trial.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Kirk was an admiral in the films for a while and the one off of DS9 that wasn't the insufferable Rusdian lady admiral was pretty cool.

Kirk got a court martial for mutiny and was reduced in rank, even he could not wear the admiral's pips unscathed by crime.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Arglebargle III posted:

Neural gelpacs were invented in the mid-90s, in the brief time before everyone realized (or really everyone read 80s scifi which predicted) that artificial processors would outstrip the human brain in the very near future.

No see the neural gelpacs are cool and good because parts of the ship are ALIVE and so they got to do that one plot where the ship caught a cold and the packs turned green-black and the doctor had to diagnose the ship.
Because that's what you want.
A ship that can catch a loving cold.

~Voyager~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

Solution: Hologram ships staffed by hologram crews.

Admiral 1: "Oh no, (insert ship here) just exploded!"

Admiral 2: "Good thing nobody died."

Red Dwarf showed us where Holoships would lead.

"They despise stupidity, and they see it everywhere."

• Locked thread