Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Not that high of infinite demand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Yep low skilled workers are in high supply and comparatively not that high demand.

Can't engage with the argument huh.

Human beings are different from gallons of gas. These differences have implications. You do not want to think about these things.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I thought you said demand was functionally infinite?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:spergin: How are humans different from gallons of gas I don't understand
:) Here are the reasons the labor market works differently, your question is answered now
:spergin: Nope I already decided they're exactly the same so I don't have to engage with anything I don't like

:spergin: If the supply of workers is too great, why don't the sellers cut back on supply
:) That means people die
:spergin: I don't understand why that's bad?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 10, 2015

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

paragon1 posted:

Infinity - 1 = Smaller Infinity DUHHHHHHH

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

VitalSigns posted:

Can't engage with the argument huh.

Human beings are different from gallons of gas. These differences have implications. You do not want to think about these things.

Not as far as the market is concerned.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Not as far as the market is concerned.

I just described two ways in which they are different as far as the market is concerned and your reply is "nuh-uh"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

paragon1 posted:

Only if cost is zero.

loving Statists with their minimum wage laws :argh:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I just described two ways in which they are different as far as the market is concerned and your reply is "nuh-uh"

No you didn't. The market prices both goods and people low sometimes. The market kills both people and businesses somtetimes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
His red text makes so much sense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:spergin:-world

"Hi honey, unemployment just exceeded 8%, I think it's time we liquidate a few unnecessary family members to save costs, we can rebuild grandma once the labor market picks up"

"Let us consult the economic projections and outlook for the labor market 18 years hence to decide whether it's worth building a new labor supplier (I mean, child)."

"Hmmm no one is buying my labor, better shut down the factory so I'm not spending money on food, shelter, and maintenance to continue being able to supply product that no one wants. Commence biological stasis in 3...2...1..."

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 10, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

paragon1 posted:

His red text makes so much sense.

and it's coming from inside the thread

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

No you didn't. The market prices both goods and people low sometimes. The market kills both people and businesses somtetimes.

You didn't engage with the argument.

A business making profit on every gallon of gasoline wants to sell as much as people will buy at that price. If I charge more than they do they will happily steal my business and sell twice as much as before.

A business profitably hiring a janitorial staff does not want to hire as many workers as are willing to sell at that price. If I pay less than they do, they will not hire twice as many employees as before.

The 101st gallon of gasoline I sell makes me as much profit as the 10th or the 100th (more really, since the fixed costs make up a smaller percentage).
The 101st janitor I hire to clean my tiny restaurant does not give me as much return as the 10th.

But I think you're just trolling at this point since you just unironically made my parody post of "I don't understand why people dying is different from closing a store?"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 10, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

But I think you're just trolling at this point since you just unironically made my parody post of "I don't understand why people dying is different from closing a store?"

whoa, really?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

You didn't engage with the argument.

A business making profit on every gallon of gasoline wants to sell as much as people will buy at that price. If I charge more than they do they will happily steal my business and sell twice as much as before.

A business profitably hiring a janitorial staff does not want to hire as many workers as are willing to sell at that price. If I pay less than they do, they will not hire twice as many employees as before.

The 101st gallon of gasoline I sell makes me as much profit as the 10th or the 100th (more really, since the fixed costs make up a smaller percentage).
The 101st janitor I hire to clean my McDonalds locations does not give me as much return as the 10th.

You're mixing up buying and selling.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Feel free to explain how that's wrong rather than just stamping your feet and saying "nuh-uh" for the billionth time

E: But only do it if you're going to use the real economic definitions of terms like supply and demand, and not your vague useless idiosyncratic definitions

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 10, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

asdf32 posted:

guess what they do with the gasoline before they sell it??????

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

guess what they do with the gasoline before they sell it??????

I don't know about you, but I only buy exactly as many minutes of life from my Creator God as I project I can profitably sell on the labor market.

If you don't do this you're bad at business, no wonder you're starving in a gutter.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Feel free to explain how that's wrong rather than just stamping your feet and saying "nuh-uh" for the billionth time

E: But only do it if you're going to use the real economic definitions of terms like supply and demand, and not your vague useless idiosyncratic definitions

You were trying to tell a story where labor was different than goods. You told a story where buying was different than selling instead.

The gas station as a labor buyer is nearly identical to you as a gas buyer.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I don't know about you, but I only buy exactly as many minutes of life from my Creator God as I project I can profitably sell on the labor market.

If you don't do this you're bad at business, no wonder you're starving in a gutter.

An interesting point... are the old and infirm committing aggression upon their fellow citizens by not committing suicide at the end of their productive years of labor and choosing instead to be nothing but a drain on their family and surrounding society?

Caros
May 14, 2008

asdf32 posted:

You were trying to tell a story where labor was different than goods. You told a story where buying was different than selling instead.

Sixty posts while I was at work. Jrod have you come ba... oh, its just you again. God I loving hate you asdf32.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Bel Shazar posted:

An interesting point... are the old and infirm committing aggression upon their fellow citizens by not committing suicide at the end of their productive years of labor and choosing instead to be nothing but a drain on their family and surrounding society?

This seems like a really good question to ask some hardcore libertarian communities if you could keep them from smelling the bait.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Voyager I posted:

This seems like a really good question to ask some hardcore libertarian communities if you could keep them from smelling the bait.

I have no poker face :/

e: Besides, I'm sure the answer would be "They won't be a drain on their societies because they will only receive willing charity from their family or community or they will die in a ditch. In either case, no aggression."

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
This thread used to have a bright future. Now it just lurches aimlessly ever forward, zombie-like in its disregard for its own well-being. Without Jrod, we are nothing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I refuse to submit to this false dichotomy. This thread can have value outside making fun of jrod.

I just haven't figured out how yet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

paragon1 posted:

I refuse to submit to this false dichotomy. This thread can have value outside making fun of jrod.

I just haven't figured out how yet.

There is certainly infinite demand for it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
We can ignore ASDF32's insane views on the world and general inability to have a coherent conversation, and talk about Rand Paul, the man who will shush his way to victory!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

We can ignore ASDF32's insane views on the world and general inability to have a coherent conversation, and talk about Rand Paul, the man who will shush his way to victory!

I've been working all week and I feel so goddamned behind. Seven pound babies, being aborted at full term, yelling at reporters for asking him basic questions about how he keeps flip flopping. I am a bad goon. :(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There are no bad or good goons. Just goons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

You are the one who originally asked what is the difference between gas stations selling gas and businesses buying labor. But good, you now acknowledge that buying and selling are different.

Okay follow that logic. What's the ration of gas buyers to gas sellers? loving huge, right?

Now what's the ratio of labor buyers to labor sellers? Hm, it seems these markets are different, aren't they. Almost like I as a gas buyer don't have the ability to set prices but buyers of unskilled labor do...what's the word for that?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 10, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Caros posted:

Sixty posts while I was at work. Jrod have you come ba... oh, its just you again. God I loving hate you asdf32.
Don't fear, a different shitposter is here to save the day.

Nolanar posted:

I'll delve into the depths for you.

Check the link, I didn't make this up I swear to god.
That's not a horrible read on Taoism, at least as it squares with my recollection of Chinese History I.

I mean, context is everything, sure, but the context of early Taoism was basically "like Game of Thrones but with more psychopaths".

It's not nearly as famous, but I think the Salt and Iron debates would be relevant. It's literally this thread, arguing about government vs free enterprise, but with brutal assassinations and executions instead of shitposting.

I thought it was funny that Rothbard used Wade-Giles 'Ssu-ma Ch'ien' instead of Pinyin 'Sima Qian'. It's kinda old fashioned, but legit, it's just that I can totally see him picking it because "gently caress that commie Pinyin bullshit", like Taiwan does.
Sima Qian is probably justified in disliking of the State, since the State cut off his balls.

I should do an effortpost on this sometime...later.

The article is an excerpt from Austrian Perspective on Economic History. I wonder if jrodefeld has a copy, and if it covers the subject in more detail, with sources?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Okay follow that logic. What's the ration of gas buyers to gas sellers? loving huge, right?

Now what's the ratio of labor buyers to labor sellers?

Smaller. Which is the opposite of the point you wanted to make.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 10, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Smaller. Which is the opposite of the point you wanted to make.

Mmm.

What's the word again for when there are few enough buyers of something that they have the market power to affect the price?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Mmm.

What's the word again for when there are few enough buyers of something that they have the market power to affect the price?

Buddy there are more employers than gas sellers. IE there is more competition among employers than gas stations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

asdf32 posted:

Buddy there are more employers than gas sellers. IE there is more competition among employers than gas stations.

Okay I guess you won't mind expanding this thought experiment to correspondingly include all low-wage unskilled laborers instead of just gas attendants.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Nope buying and selling are different. You just loving acknowledged this and now you're pretending they're the same to avoid engaging the argument.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hmm...there's a message in my late night snack.

It says "Ignore asdf32"

Neat!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rockopolis posted:

I think I speak for everyone in the thread when I ask you to do this sooner rather than later. Who knows how long jrod will be gone? Someone needs to save this thread from asdf.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Rockopolis posted:

Don't fear, a different shitposter is here to save the day.

That's not a horrible read on Taoism, at least as it squares with my recollection of Chinese History I.

I mean, context is everything, sure, but the context of early Taoism was basically "like Game of Thrones but with more psychopaths".

It's not nearly as famous, but I think the Salt and Iron debates would be relevant. It's literally this thread, arguing about government vs free enterprise, but with brutal assassinations and executions instead of shitposting.

I thought it was funny that Rothbard used Wade-Giles 'Ssu-ma Ch'ien' instead of Pinyin 'Sima Qian'. It's kinda old fashioned, but legit, it's just that I can totally see him picking it because "gently caress that commie Pinyin bullshit", like Taiwan does.
Sima Qian is probably justified in disliking of the State, since the State cut off his balls.

While an effort post on what you just said would be really awesome, I'd accept anything even if it's just you turning this thread into a photoblog of your bowl movements. Because watching people talk at ASDF is tedious as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Hmm...there's a message in my late night snack.

It says "Ignore asdf32"

Neat!

wouldn't it be great if ignore extended to folks quoting the ignoree?