Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Deathlove posted:

Train for the OrcStomp 5K on Friday and convention walking will be a piece of cake :getin:

Can you go from 20 minutes of brisk walking to a 5k in a hundred days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

8one6 posted:

Can you go from 20 minutes of brisk walking to a 5k in a hundred days?

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Couch to 5k. Takes nine weeks.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

And to keep it thematic, zombies! https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

yessssssssssssssssssssss.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Depending on your general body fitness you can go directly from a couch to 5K in a lot less time than 9 weeks. 100 days is plenty of time to get Con-Worthy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The worst part for me isn't the walking around. It's all the stuff I end up carrying while walking around. Free stuff, things I bought, things I brought, and it just keeps adding up. This year though I think I'm getting off pretty light. I don't plan to buy any minis and I'm steering away from the FFG booth. The worst booth for me is the Flying Frog booth their enthusiasm and (my opinion) fun games always ends up costing me money. Plus one of the guys there remembers me and has gotten a couple pictures of me and my luchador friends over the years so that really makes me want to spend money with them.

Edit: Anyone know when the event list goes up for perusal? I wanna start planning now drat it.

Len fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 10, 2015

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

This year I need to acquire a better bag since we will be lacking the hotel room in the event that we park too far out to make a trip. Last year we sewed up shoulder pads for our Bags of Holding which worked fine, but long term they would be a nightmare to rely on.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Having a good bag is certainly key if you are buying or otherwise carrying a bunch. The past 3 years I have used a timbuk2 large messenger bag that is my everyday biking bag and it has worked great the con and I can maneuver it easily enough to get it out of the way of other people in the vendor hall.

The event list probably isn't going up until early the 2nd week of May. Its usually up about a week before event registration.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm torn between my Swiss Gear laptop backpack or my We Love Fine messenger bag. The backpack is more comfortable than the messenger bag for long term but the bag holds so much more. I might shop around for a bit. I need a new suitcase for the bus too mine finally broke.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Len posted:

How similar to 5e is it mechanically? I think I have the 3e book I picked up for $5 at Origins a few years back but we've been wanting to go with 5e. Honestly though I'd be down for anything. The only Shadowrun game I played was abysmal.

No clue--I've played a little bit of 4e, but haven't really even looked at 5e yet.

Honestly, though, it isn't the rules making Shadowrun good, no matter the edition. The whole "getting a job, researching it, making a plan, carrying it out" dynamic makes Shadowrun one of my favorite RPGs, but the actually mechanics for it have always been pretty dreadful.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Me and the husband are coming back this year. Looking forward to it, especially since I have a better idea what to expect.

Found out that the food truck I was most looking forward to going back to shut down, though, the Indian taco one. It's a small thing to be sad about, but the pakora taco I had was delicious and I haven't been able to replicate it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

sithwitch13 posted:

Me and the husband are coming back this year. Looking forward to it, especially since I have a better idea what to expect.

Found out that the food truck I was most looking forward to going back to shut down, though, the Indian taco one. It's a small thing to be sad about, but the pakora taco I had was delicious and I haven't been able to replicate it.

If you're looking for Indian food the Spice Box Indy truck is fantastic!

Also, you've all convinced me to go for the Orc Stomp 5k.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So, this will be my first GenCon. I have my badge, I have my hotel, and I have my transportation. Can someone give me the down low on how event tickets work? How crazy is it (usually) to get into specific events? How many generic tickets should I get on principle? I know of a few specific events I'm going to want to participate in (FFG stuff, mostly) but the rest of the show is a mystery to me.

HALP HOW DO I GENCON

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Carteret posted:

So, this will be my first GenCon. I have my badge, I have my hotel, and I have my transportation. Can someone give me the down low on how event tickets work? How crazy is it (usually) to get into specific events? How many generic tickets should I get on principle? I know of a few specific events I'm going to want to participate in (FFG stuff, mostly) but the rest of the show is a mystery to me.

HALP HOW DO I GENCON

I wouldn't buy more than $20 in generics unless you're going to do magic the gathering events or other many-ticketed events.

Signups for spcific events are crazy, camp the day they open and queue up your poo poo and be ready to mash and hope and pray...but people will drop out sometimes later on so check back periodically if you whiffed. You can always just show up with generics, too, depending on the table they'll usually let a few extra folks join, especially if like 3/4 of your group have real tickets.

The RPGs are the things that are really difficult to get into - some folks only run 1-2 events and if they're running something like paranoia it'll be rough.

A lot of bigger games that have multiple events (like the Kobolds ate my babies guys) are pretty easy to get into one of the sessions, just not necesarily the time you want if it's a popular time.

Just camp it the day the signups open on the website, spin the wheel and pray. From there you can figure everythign else out.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

8one6 posted:

Also, you've all convinced me to go for the Orc Stomp 5k.

Awwweeeeeessssooooome.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Carteret posted:

HALP HOW DO I GENCON
Yesssssssssss

There are lots of hints in the first post as to How To Gen-Con, but one of the things you should know is the general advice that you might want to seriously consider how many hours of a day you want to be locked into specific events, as opposed to being free to wander the amazing exhibit hall or just people-watch or do impromptu demos or whatever.

Also the Gen-Con Auction is the best part of the show, which is something I said even before becoming an auctioneer for it myself. Because I figured if I was going to be in that room 6-10 hours a day anyway, I might as well be volunteering.

Alsoalso there will probably be a Goon meeting at the Colts Grille on the Wednesday night before things properly get underway (coinciding with their Nerd Trivia, I think it starts at 7:30?), if the last two years are any indication. And to the best of my knowledge nobody has later regretted attending! We really must all be fun to hang out with! Fun-ish.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oops, forgot this post on my laptop :haw:

CaptainRat posted:

I hate that the first thing I thought of was, "hmm, it doesn't look like Luigi is actually that much taller than Mario."
Luigi wears lifts when they are playing.

nesbit37 posted:

As someone working on the history if this hobby I felt a duty to subject myself to this, so I bought it and watched Hobocon tonight. It wasn't terrible, a nice little time capsule of the 2008 Gen Con, some problematic discussion of women gamers, standard complaints of gamer persecution, and the potential horror of anyone who would actually decide to attend gen con with no money or hotel room and wants to be narrated by convention center security nightly.
I am very excited to see this.

And unsurprised to see the phrase "problematic discussion of woman gamers." It was not so long ago that hearing people talking about women dismissively in gaming seemed entirely reasonable to me. I am glad I eventually stopped to wonder why I was going along with the idea that women were not really gamers when the random women who had been in our game were pretty obviously better members of the group than the random dudes who had been in our games, haha.

Kerzoro posted:

Going to Gencon this year! :dance:

... so like, I've been considering getting a copy of Eoris that is in a nearby bookstore and throw it at the Auction, because it's otherwise lonely and abandoned and despite the game being hella complicated the book is still very pretty to look at. Wondering if it's worth it?
Congratulations on going!!! And bringing a copy of Eoris for the Auction would probably result in it selling decently well, since worst case scenario the auctioneer would be like "I have no idea what this is but it is gorgeous," and best case scenario it would be like "ooooooh man, Colombian furries take note!"

Countblanc posted:

Yeah and getting stuck in traffic on the highway while blaring Livin' La Vida Loca with the windows down is part of The GenCon Experience™.

Len posted:

Our trip to Gencon usually involves lots of Beastie Boys. If you aren't rockin' out to License to Ill you're doing it wrong.
Dateline: Gen-Con 1997. We are making the trip in my now-yearly-V.I.G.-hookup's bitchin' 1988 ...Trans Am? Did those have tiny back seats? Something bitchin', anyway.

All we have to listen to is one mixtape.

By the time we get bogged down in Milwaukee traffic on the way in, we have heard "Stayin' Alive" so many times that we just decide to rewind it after it ends since we are all so sick of being in the car that singing along to the Bee Gees seems like as good an activity as any.

There are so many shameful things in what I just typed.

Not as shameful as the guy who proudly posted about how he shoved a Fantasy Flight employee out of the way to pass when he was inconvenienced by their crowds blocking the aisle.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Say, when do event listings get posted? I see on the website that registration happens May 17, but I don't see anything about when we can actually peruse the listings.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It should be around May 10th.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Quarex posted:

Congratulations on going!!! And bringing a copy of Eoris for the Auction would probably result in it selling decently well, since worst case scenario the auctioneer would be like "I have no idea what this is but it is gorgeous," and best case scenario it would be like "ooooooh man, Colombian furries take note!"

I'll keep it in mind!

I actually asked the store about it. They are STILL selling it at the original price.

Which is, uh... roughly 80, with the dollar being at it's current price.

Cripes.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
O.K., I do not know if it would sell as well as "the original price at a store in its homeland," haha.

Also I do not think I posted this but anyone new to the thread who wants a super-concise important things to think about list, here it is!

http://doingindy.com/2015/01/20/planning-ahead-for-gen-con-2015/

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A question to people who have attended GenCon before. My brother wants to know if there will be Star Wars toys and/or Vintage video games. I know that's not the conventions focus per say, but the venue seems big enough to have something for everyone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SirPhoebos posted:

A question to people who have attended GenCon before. My brother wants to know if there will be Star Wars toys and/or Vintage video games. I know that's not the conventions focus per say, but the venue seems big enough to have something for everyone.

Sometimes

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

The typical merchants are either publishers that are hawking their products, and a handful of prominent card stores selling Magic the Gathering and sometimes YuGiOh and other games. This is supplemented by a number of nerd and LARP 'fashion' vendors, so you'll have someone hawking leather corsets and a dude that sells a ton of 5XL T-Shirts with the word Epic on it.

He'd do better off looking for a collectibles show. Outside of supporting games that are collectible there aren't people just selling general collectibles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sigma-X posted:

Dude that sells a ton of 5XL T-Shirts with the word Epic on it.

We like to play a game where we see how quick it takes to find someone wearing a Portal shirt in 201X. So far it's always been under ten minutes. Nerds bandwagon like crazy for jokes. I don't know why this hobby has so many people that can't actually be funny without just quoting something funnier than they are.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sigma-X posted:

The typical merchants are either publishers that are hawking their products, and a handful of prominent card stores selling Magic the Gathering and sometimes YuGiOh and other games. This is supplemented by a number of nerd and LARP 'fashion' vendors, so you'll have someone hawking leather corsets and a dude that sells a ton of 5XL T-Shirts with the word Epic on it.

He'd do better off looking for a collectibles show. Outside of supporting games that are collectible there aren't people just selling general collectibles.

Okay,

He said he'll come along because he's dragged me to plenty of things that barely interested me.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The TOVA part of the auction would probably have some of that stuff. Quarex? Toys, Oddities, Video (Games?), ??? It's like a four hour block on Saturday, I think.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Len posted:

We like to play a game where we see how quick it takes to find someone wearing a Portal shirt in 201X. So far it's always been under ten minutes. Nerds bandwagon like crazy for jokes. I don't know why this hobby has so many people that can't actually be funny without just quoting something funnier than they are.

Yup. Those nerds. At Gen Con. Wearing shirts with things they like on them. Am I right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

8one6 posted:

Yup. Those nerds. At Gen Con. Wearing shirts with things they like on them. Am I right?

There is no way cake is a lie jokes can possibly still be funny in 2015 and I refuse to believe comedy is subjective. :colbert:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
There's also gonna be several hundred tardis dresses.

But I sort of despise doctor who for personal reasons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sloober posted:

There's also gonna be several hundred tardis dresses.

But I sort of despise doctor who for personal reasons.

Is it because the fans are usually terrible people? My friends wife posted a giant rant about football posts on Facebook being stupid. But when I pointed out she only posts Doctor Who related statuses and memes she went "that's different because reasons."

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Sort of, but I also had a really terrible now ex GF that was majorly into doctor who, and has lead to me swearing off the show and cats.

One of my every week gaming friends is into the show bigtime, I just do my best to ignore it, since he's a good friend that I've gamed with for years.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Everyone has nerd culture stuff they cannot stand. BUT! BUT!!!!!!!!!!11

GEN-CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8one6 posted:

Yeah my friends and I have a Gen-Con Ritual we take very seriously--all the rest of the year, we are prone to making fun of nerds and using the patented "fat guy who cannot stand up" voice to do so. But once we see our first Gen-Con attendee upon arriving in Indianapolis, we convert all mocking statements in a funny voice to earnest statements said in a normal voice to represent that we are here for solidarity. Which of course is extra-hilarious when one of us thoughtlessly starts making fun of something in a silly voice and quickly reverts to saying instead in a pleasant, calm tone "...so I need to take up the entire aisle, as my anime body pillow deserves the same respect as any other attendee."

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay,

He said he'll come along because he's dragged me to plenty of things that barely interested me.

Lawen posted:

The TOVA part of the auction would probably have some of that stuff. Quarex? Toys, Oddities, Video (Games?), ??? It's like a four hour block on Saturday, I think.
Yes, this. You would actually be hard-pressed to find any element of nerd culture that is NOT potentially being sold at Gen-Con. And in the Auction for sure, T.O.V.A. specifically (Toys, Oddities, Video/Games, Art), T.O.V.A. being the best part of Gen-Con even before I was part of it.

Depending on what SirPhoebos' brother means by "vintage," yeah, there will be stuff; every year I add between 1-10 new 1980/1990 MS-DOS games to my collection upon the Auction Store opening, and I always see other ancient stuff there too, from Atari 2600 to ColecoVision to Commodore 64/Apple II/whatever. Nintendo and Sega are certainly there too, though honestly it is more likely for someone to sell a whole working system in the Auction proper with like 50-odd games than to sell games individually in the Auction Store for whatever reason.

As for Star Wars stuff specifically, I hate to break it to the people who said no, but I can think of a good half-dozen booths that are likely to have some new-in-box Star Wars toys on display somewhere, from the few that do specifically deal in nerd merchandise to the ones that seem to just sell "whatever we felt like bringing from our game store." This also means you are not likely to get a deal there, but such things are also in the Auction to the extent that we have done like half-hour blocks of Just Star Wars stuff in the past, and those are usually better prices.

Which reminds me of last year, when I was handed the "zombie Yoda puppet" to auction off, and I started half-heartedly trying to sell it as I assumed nobody was going to want this random stupid nerd crossover item. But people were like leaping up in excitement when I mentioned what it was, which led to me resigning myself to just running with it--see I am now referencing the beginning of this post again--and doing my best attempt at a zombie Yoda voice to read the quotes on the box, rather than making fun of it. I think it sold for like $40. T.O.V.A.!

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Len posted:

Is it because the fans are usually terrible people? My friends wife posted a giant rant about football posts on Facebook being stupid. But when I pointed out she only posts Doctor Who related statuses and memes she went "that's different because reasons."

Hilarious.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Welp, waiting it out paid off again, managed to nab a room in the city centre for me and my two bros. We're sleeping head to toe in one King size bed like dwarves, but we're staying at SHERATON INDIANAPOLIS CITY CENTRE HOTEL, which is only four block away from the Con. Plus, I can keep looking for something better and change with no fees, not a bad fall back.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Texibus posted:

Welp, waiting it out paid off again, managed to nab a room in the city centre for me and my two bros. We're sleeping head to toe in one King size bed like dwarves, but we're staying at SHERATON INDIANAPOLIS CITY CENTRE HOTEL, which is only four block away from the Con. Plus, I can keep looking for something better and change with no fees, not a bad fall back.

Did you just get lucky with the housing portal?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Nope, friend was lurking reddit and some dude posted he didn't need his room anymore and we snatched it up. Also, the gencon website might have some leads as well.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Texibus posted:

That's the hotel i'll be at - last year they embraced gen con more and offered free wi fi for the duration, and opened their basement level room as a board game area - turned out to have a good number of folks playing games there at any given point. I will probably be hanging out there for a good bit of Wednesday provided they do the same again.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, earlier in the thread I mentioned that Gencon's official art show switched to a jury system this year, and as a result a lot of the regular local and regional artists didn't make it (including a close friend of mine).

Anyway, a bunch of those artists have teamed up with the Arts Council of Indianapolis to put on a parallel, independent art show! It'll be running for the duration of the con in the Indianapolis Artsgarden, which is an easy two blocks walk from the convention center via the skywalks. It's literally right next to the mall's foodcourt, and a lovely space to boot. Be sure to check it out!

See here for details

Haystack fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 20, 2015

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Sloober posted:

That's the hotel i'll be at - last year they embraced gen con more and offered free wi fi for the duration, and opened their basement level room as a board game area - turned out to have a good number of folks playing games there at any given point. I will probably be hanging out there for a good bit of Wednesday provided they do the same again.

We're not going to be getting there till Thursday morning, I guess next year we're going to need to start planning for a Wednesday launch if that sort of stuff is happening. I just remember last year looking at the list of stuff going on at the Convention center and Wednesday seemed like it was for expoers/booth folks, so we passed on that day.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Last year I spent Wednesday at the Colts Grill for trivia and then played Avalon while drinking for entirely too long.

• Locked thread