Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Well we should have concrete numbers almost immediately after launch. Apple's earnings call is April 27 -- should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So here's my prediction. There were slightly less than 4 million smartwatches sold in 2014 across all brands (including fitbit etc). Despite claims Apple Watch sales won't be impressive, Apple sells between 1 and 1.5 million of their own in their first week (more than Samsung sold in the entire 2014 year). By the end of the year they sell around 2-2.5 million at the low end. Sales slow drastically among Apple Watch competitors. 2nd Generation watches will feature multiple shapes (circle and square) and a cheap version. By the end of the first year of sales of the 2nd Generation Apple Watch, sales will approximate nearly all competitors combined.

Edit: Android models put quad core processor and a liquid cooling system into their Moto Gamer Elite model and are quickly sued when their customers wrists burn off.

I'm curious why you think sales of other watches would decline "drastically" if the Watch won't work with non-Apple phones anyway? Are smartwatch-wanters just going to not buy anything if they have an Android phone, by virtue of Apple's existing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm curious why you think sales of other watches would decline "drastically" if the Watch won't work with non-Apple phones anyway? Are smartwatch-wanters just going to not buy anything if they have an Android phone, by virtue of Apple's existing?

Yeah I was about to say that there's not a whole lot of crossover unless people are switching from Androids just to get Apple Watches which I kind of doubt. There's Pebble, Fitbit, and MS that are cross platform, but Samsung and Moto and LG won't see much of a change at all.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

sirbeefalot posted:

In terms of profits rather then total units sold, non-Apple Watches will likely race to the bottom on profits earned per Watch sold to remain competitive against other non-Apple Watch competitors. In terms of units sold, remember also that smartwatch sales data always includes gimmicky 'not really smart watches,' and these are reaching the apex of their earnings. If you look at Smart Watches as things closely approximating a Moto 360 or Apple Watch, Apple is going to dominate half of the market by year 1. This is terrifying to people because Apple Pay is already 70% of contactless payment dollars spent and this is just another market Apple will have 2/3rds marketshare in by the end of year 2.

If Apple dominates the way I think it will, people will see non-Apple Watches as the "boost mobile special" and there is pretty much no way other companies recover marketshare. Thats why people are really nervous, because while total units sold are way lower than your iPhones and other products, Apple can keep prices high and continue to earn huge profits from the devices, expanding dominance on contactless payment and the 'total hardware/software ecosystem' concept.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Welcome back cremnob

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Any press saying yet if pre-orders must be shipped or if they can be sent to a store?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

fordan posted:

Any press saying yet if pre-orders must be shipped or if they can be sent to a store?

I recall reading that Ship To Store would be available in the US.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So here's my prediction. There were slightly less than 4 million smartwatches sold in 2014 across all brands (including fitbit etc). Despite claims Apple Watch sales won't be impressive, Apple sells between 1 and 1.5 million of their own in their first week (more than Samsung sold in the entire 2014 year). By the end of the year they sell around 2-2.5 million at the low end. Sales slow drastically among Apple Watch competitors. 2nd Generation watches will feature multiple shapes (circle and square) and a cheap version. By the end of the first year of sales of the 2nd Generation Apple Watch, sales will approximate nearly all competitors combined.

Edit: Android models put quad core processor and a liquid cooling system into their Moto Gamer Elite model and are quickly sued when their customers wrists burn off.

In terms of profits rather then total units sold, non-Apple Watches will likely race to the bottom on profits earned per Watch sold to remain competitive against other non-Apple Watch competitors. In terms of units sold, remember also that smartwatch sales data always includes gimmicky 'not really smart watches,' and these are reaching the apex of their earnings. If you look at Smart Watches as things closely approximating a Moto 360 or Apple Watch, Apple is going to dominate half of the market by year 1. This is terrifying to people because Apple Pay is already 70% of contactless payment dollars spent and this is just another market Apple will have 2/3rds marketshare in by the end of year 2.

If Apple dominates the way I think it will, people will see non-Apple Watches as the "boost mobile special" and there is pretty much no way other companies recover marketshare. Thats why people are really nervous, because while total units sold are way lower than your iPhones and other products, Apple can keep prices high and continue to earn huge profits from the devices, expanding dominance on contactless payment and the 'total hardware/software ecosystem' concept.
Prediction: Apple Watch will sell very well at first, but in a few months will no longer have any supply constraint.

Android Wear and Pebble will not experience sales slowing drastically. Samsung and LG's (HTC coming out with one?) watch operating systems will not catch on however. Microsoft will also continue to flounder. And luxury brands will come out with weird things just to say they have a smartwatch, and nobody will care.

Also did you know: :science: Android Wear models actually already have quad-core processors. However only one core is active.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the opinion on the black ("space gray") versus silver colors of the watch?

I'm definitely getting the Sport edition in 42mm, but I'm not sure if I want the black or silver version. The silver version comes with a white band which I also don't want so I'm leaning towards the black version with the black band...

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Vinlaen posted:

I'm definitely getting the Sport edition in 42mm, but I'm not sure if I want the black or silver version. The silver version comes with a white band which I also don't want so I'm leaning towards the black version with the black band...

Just looking at the store, silver comes with either a white, blue, pink, or green band. The space gray comes only with a black band. You could always buy another band, of course.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, thanks. I guess I just need to decide on the black watch itself or the silver one.

What kinda are ya'all getting?

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah, thanks. I guess I just need to decide on the black watch itself or the silver one.

What kinda are ya'all getting?

I still don't know if I want to preorder one or not - but if I do, probably the 38mm space grey. I prefer the silver tone to be honest, but I want a black band and I'm not paying $70 for a rubber band in a different colour on top of the watch itself. Canadian pricing is already up there, at $450 for the 38mm sport.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Vinlaen posted:

What's the opinion on the black ("space gray") versus silver colors of the watch?

Take the second size of band that comes in the Sport box and make a clandestine arrangement on craigslist to swap it with someone who is seeking your spare. I predict this activity will be labelled by the media as "Swapping Rubbers" which naturally conflicts with another activity going on on craigslist which will lead to much hilarious hijinx.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Sport space grey is the best deal going: for the same price as the silver, you get black. Under the SS you have to pay mad money to get black since its limited to metal link. It will also probably look better with third party art bands, and it's less flashy and looks thinner. Ultimately, the silver sport is the cheapest version of some jewellery, while space sport is the smartest version of a beautiful tool.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have the sport space gray watch favorited myself, prepared for preorder.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, if I can actually be assed to wake up at 2:55 AM I'll be ordering the 38mm space gray sport for my dainty ladywrists.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Store went down.

:f5:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have the 42mm SS with rubber band favorited. Anyone notice if the leather strap can be purchased separately?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jealous Cow posted:

I have the 42mm SS with rubber band favorited. Anyone notice if the leather strap can be purchased separately?

Yep they all can

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Call me crazy but I think the Space Gray aluminum just flat out looks best. Something about shiny stainless steel looks off to me.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
For those folks that are planning on buying bands for the sport separately, the metal parts of the bands (clasp, connectors) are going to be made of steel and not match the body of the watch, right?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Just tried them out in store. Was incredibly impressed by the beauty and smoothness of the UI and screen. The chronograph face looks printed on, was fantastic. They look much thinner in person. The sports grey looks the best of the sports but white is close, it looks stunning. The smooth leather bands were easily the worst especially on the edition but the lumpy leather and the Milanese were the best of the high ends, the former understated and the latter spectacular.

AMA

Edit: what I can't emphasize enough is how uncomputery they look in real life. They aren't computers pretending to be watches, they really are actual watches, they look totally natural.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 10, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Were you able to see how speedy the apps run? That Verge review went on and on and on and on about how slow it is. I wonder if the demo units have whatever patch Apple was working on.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yeah there weren't many installed but the ones that were took maybe a half second to load, maybe. To compare, the stocks app loaded faster than the app open animation runs on my 6

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

chaosbreather posted:

Just tried them out in store. Was incredibly impressed by the beauty and smoothness of the UI and screen. The chronograph face looks printed on, was fantastic. They look much thinner in person. The sports grey looks the best of the sports but white is close, it looks stunning. The smooth leather bands were easily the worst especially on the edition but the lumpy leather and the Milanese were the best of the high ends, the former understated and the latter spectacular.

AMA

Edit: what I can't emphasize enough is how uncomputery they look in real life. They aren't computers pretending to be watches, they really are actual watches, they look totally natural.

Did you get to see / try on the stainless steel link bracelets? I'm tossing up between the standard version with the black leather loop and the standard edition with the stainless steel bracelet (in silver). Any opinions?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

monkeu posted:

Did you get to see / try on the stainless steel link bracelets? I'm tossing up between the standard version with the black leather loop and the standard edition with the stainless steel bracelet (in silver). Any opinions?

Honestly the link looks cool and technical but imho way overstated. It's like super shiny. They're done a spectacular job at giving people options for every preference, but to me it sort of overwhelmed the face.

The leather loop though is pure class, def my fav for men

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm stuck between the 38mm sports and the 38mm SS with the black band. In a few photos of the silver one that have come out today it almost looks a little bit too toy like, especially with the white band. I hate having too many options.

Edit: I'll probably end up going with the space gray sport I guess

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 10, 2015

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

triple sulk posted:

I'm stuck between the 38mm sports and the 38mm SS with the black band. In a few photos of the silver one that have come out today it almost looks a little bit too toy like, especially with the white band. I hate having too many options.

White looks awesome. It definitely doesn't look like a toy on any band, they all look expensive and pretty. For me the SS is a little too shiny, but if you are in a shiny mind, the white is the best. The white accents the shine, spreads it out on to your wrist. The black balances the shine, grounding it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm surprised that most of you seem to be preordering 38mm. Is 42mm really that big?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Honestly they're both tiny. They look big on the website but man they are miniscule in person. It's like, you're blown away when you see it do a retina jellifish on it because it looks, well, like a tiny, elegant watch. It's the first futureshock moment I've had since retina.

I literally couldn't tell the difference between the two displays of them when they were separated out.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I'm going with the 42mm because on Apple's battery page they said the 42mm typically got better battery life. For all I know thats going to equate to 3 extra glances... but whatever. I went back and forth maybe 50 times on "extra battery life" and "lighter and smaller". The size/cost difference seems pretty small so I went for an undefined amount of extra battery life.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think that's a smart move. More pixels is great on that thing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm surprised that most of you seem to be preordering 38mm. Is 42mm really that big?

I have a feeling that people who use Imperial measurements think "BIG NUMBERS MEAN REALLY BIG" and aren't understanding how small 38mm actually is.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
it's 12:01... where my store at!?

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Just got Apple Watch with the black sports band on the Apple Store app. Being logged in and Apple Pay made that fast as hell.

Edit: Somehow still have a shipping estimate of 4/24 - 5/8.

Karki fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 10, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Use the apple store on your phone! I've already placed my order! Space Gray sport on it's way!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Yeah, site is still down, but order went through on the Apple Store app. Interesting that shipping already shows "4/24 - 5/8."

Edit: And when I went back to look at the store listing again shows "4 - 6 weeks."

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

Use the apple store on your phone! I've already placed my order! Space Gray sport on it's way!

Same. Easy as pie

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
crap, I can't seem to use gift cards to pay with the App Store app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

42mm with link bracelet is 4-6 weeks :(

• Locked thread