Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I love the idea of a freeman subplot. The characters have to create shell identities to absorb name-based curses, find that the king has mortgaged their future reanimated remains (and has a separate account with the cash for each citizen), and then get dragged into a maritime court. :allears:

The court sentences the characters to have a geas placed on them, but they've separated themselves from their legal:selves, spell their names differently, and :smug: off into the sunset,while the judge shrugs helplessly and then everyone cheers.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like the idea of an overworked captain somewhere in the militia's bureaucracy. If I was feeling particularly mean about it, I'd have there be a law in the emergency codex that said "any loopholes must immediately be brought to the attention of Captain Wilson, militia HQ, room 304."

Speaking of open revolt, there really is something like it brewing in the kingdom, and indeed the militia's upper ranks wouldn't want to push things too far. Anyway they're spread too thinly between the revolution and the undead, but the militia does have the mission to snuff out revolutionary elements where they find them. (That is, in fact, how the party got into their sights: the Avandra worshipping paladin was looking for spiritual guidance from a proper ordained priest and hasn't quite realized that the church of Avandra is heavily in cahoots with the revolution. Cue two militiamen stop-and-frisking him.) As well as that, the king secretly plans to use the undead situation and eventually just make martial law the status quo (making the mistake of seeing it as merely a political issue rather than a bona fide catastrophe).

The party's stake in this is that they've been called upon by the Raven Queen to wipe out the undead; in the long term they would have to support the revolution or risk them getting crushed by a militia that suddenly has no undead army to fight off anymore and therefore a lot of free manpower. Or they decide they'd rather have ultimate stability than upheaval, either way.

I would totally have a freemen subplot in this if there was room. Of course, if they end up taking it heavily in that direction, I'm game.

The court thing does give me an idea. There's a deva PC who is something like the literal incarnated angel of death whose player gave me as a backstory detail that he sometimes gets called upon to attend divine tribunals. Could be that after a few encounters with the vengeful spirit he has to call one in on himself and his buddies, and then they get to argue their case, i.e. whether or not they broke their oath in the face of the gods.

Gonna be a looong chapter.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

petrol blue posted:

I love the idea of a freeman subplot. The characters have to create shell identities to absorb name-based curses, find that the king has mortgaged their future reanimated remains (and has a separate account with the cash for each citizen), and then get dragged into a maritime court. :allears:

The court sentences the characters to have a geas placed on them, but they've separated themselves from their legal:selves, spell their names differently, and :smug: off into the sunset,while the judge shrugs helplessly and then everyone cheers.

That works fine up until the players' legal selves come looking for them, fed up of being abstract bureaucratic entities and looking to steal their physical counterparts' identities.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Why do you feel that their problem should be the presence of the brutal militia, instead of the hindrances the militia creates. Are they the heroic sort of adventurers, bent on righting wrongs and helping people? That doesn't seen to be the sort of game they want to play, given the oath-twisting and their general attitude.

Another thing I am not clear about is what happened with thr prince: they swore to get him out of the elves' clutches... and then what happened?

e: oh hey, you posted more stuff. Gimme a sec to read it and I'll try again.

e2: well, here's the thing: do you think they realized that the militia is going to become a problem once the undead apocalypse is over? And if they did, is it possible that they decided they either intend to deal with it later or don't really give a crap about the future martial law in the realm?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 7, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got the prince out of the elves' clutches, as promised, and straight into the dragon's, as planned. Actually it turned out that he'd gone with the elves voluntarily, partly to escape the revolution's executioners, but they were like, don't bother with the details it's dragon time for this dude. So maybe not entirely the heroic sort.

paradoxGentleman posted:

e2: well, here's the thing: do you think they realized that the militia is going to become a problem once the undead apocalypse is over? And if they did, is it possible that they decided they either intend to deal with it later or don't really give a crap about the future martial law in the realm?
Right now this is all background detail from my notes, we're only like half a session in this chapter. The paladin has found out that there is an actual ordained priest of Avandra around and she's gonna lay out the stakes, and from that point on it's up to them. They can support the revolution, they can go the Raven Queen way and say "this is all wordly stuff, what matters is that the undead go away" and just do that, or they can deal with it later. Actually that'd be great because it's stuff for an entire separate chapter that could spotlight the paladin's quest. (Same guy who hasn't actually read the whole of the holy book.)

e: I've already got plans for a Raven Queen priest who's gonna explain that option as well. Making sure it's not like "the DM's quest giving NPC appears and lays out the plot." There are at least two quest giving NPCs and they're not even mutually exclusive! :v:

e2: not gonna lie, the way I envision and would most like this to go down is "work with the revolution in defeating the undead, kill two birds with one stone" but I keep stopping myself specifically to keep all options open.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 7, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Whybird posted:

That works fine up until the players' legal selves come looking for them, fed up of being abstract bureaucratic entities and looking to steal their physical counterparts' identities.

This is the best possible outcome for D&D freemans edition :allears:
All those deflected curses and geases start to cross wires and glitch out after a few months, creating tormented libertarian dopplegangers of the PCs, wielding vast magical power to place a malicious lien on their souls.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Bigby's Lifting Bootstraps. (Requires material component: inheritance)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know I am in fact also planning for a fantasy libertarian NPC to support the revolution. He's super rich and protected from the militia by a private army and prominence. This can still happen. "Forget your militia IDs, I can make new ones, or you can make your own, they're just as meaningful." Then later they arrive at the tribunal and the representative of Erathis jumps up and yells "YOU FUCKERS!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pick a specific militia lawyer and have the party fight him with legal opinions.

If the party indicate they want a certain kind of game, why not give it to them?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"summon witness"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

now presiding over the court, the honorable judge MENTOK, THE MINDTAKER

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't even remember whether I've raised this before, but I'ma ask again. I have a gaming group with mixed levels of interest in participation.

Player 1 will not do anything between sessions except MAYBE spend XP. He pretty much just wants to show up and play games.
Player 2 will talk about the game over email between sessions, but only two days before the session. He will participate but doesn't like to say much when the party is planning its courses of action.
Player 3 will talk about the game over email. He will participate and says a little more in planning phases, but will not take charge.
Player 4 will not usually talk over email because he has limited access, but will absolutely dominate any planning discussion in the game.

The problem is that Player 4 likes to think through all the options out loud, at length. He likes to try to use metagame and metanarrative knowledge to anticipate the proper move (even in a situation where I am more or less improvising everything); at times, I think he treats the game as kind of a single player experience with others in the room (virtually, as this is Rolll20). The other players definitely zone out. I know Player 4 in real life and have talked to him about this a few times. He has gotten very good about pausing when he recognizes that he's been obsessing, handing it off with "what do you guys think? . . . but since they're zoning out, they're often not in a position to take the handoff, and so Player 4 goes back to filling the available airtime. I've also told the other players "Hey, look, if you want to have more say, you have to step up -- start contributing!" but I think it is in their nature to not interrupt.

If everyone were like any one of the players, I think there would be less of a problem. As it is, we sometimes spend a whole session with Player 4 inventorying party resources and hypothesizing about plans. I recognize that it might just be a group that isn't going to work for RPGs (we do much better on online board game nights). Are there good options? Some mechanism whereby Player 4 has to successfully hand off speaking rights before he can speak again?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"What are you guys going to do? 5 minutes to plan, then I want an answer. Don't sweat every detail, I'll assume you went shopping for what you needed and so on."

You could even go as far as having them roll [relevant stuff] then give them Plotting tokens, to be cashed in when their characters would reasonably have planned for an eventuality - to have hidden lockpicks up their sleeve, barred a door, etc.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

petrol blue posted:

"What are you guys going to do? 5 minutes to plan, then I want an answer. Don't sweat every detail, I'll assume you went shopping for what you needed and so on."

You could even go as far as having them roll [relevant stuff] then give them Plotting tokens, to be cashed in when their characters would reasonably have planned for an eventuality - to have hidden lockpicks up their sleeve, barred a door, etc.

It's not just inventory stuff, though the tokens are a good idea. It's like he's trying to outwit the Sicilian half the time ("If he's lying but he knows we know he's lying . . ."). The problem with the harsh time limit is that while it limits him, it also means that it might be him for 5 minutes and nothing from the others.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

If Player 4 has extensive experience with the system, you might want to leverage that knowledge by talking to them about trying a new strategy. Maybe ask Player 4 next session to take a back seat on the planning, and offer minor bits of input to see what the others do with it. It takes the spotlight off of the others for avoiding to raise their voice, and it keeps P4 feeling good while avoiding coming off as if they are in terrible trouble.

It is possible that Player 4 is used to being a 'party voice' which is hard to shake if it is something that happens quite often. I have a player who is used to being the mover and shaker in the group, so when we have groups that is better about speaking their part, I have to ask him to take heed and consider his allies in all decisions.

As for inventory management and other downtime items, I would just try to limit it to right before big events where it would be thematically appropriate, such as before a raid/major plot point where everything needs to be in place perfectly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is scarily close to my own group dynamic. I have three player 3s but otherwise I'm apparently parallel universe homullus.

Speaking of metanarrative knowledge, I mentioned earlier that my group was really genre-savvy. When I gave them exposition about the undead plague going around, the militia distributing an elixir that protects from it etc. they all gave each other knowing looks and asked NPCs things like "so you stop taking the elixir, you get the plague, right" in a tone that said "we know what the answer's gonna be, and we know what's going on here, oh yes." The twist, if it can be called one, is of course that the elixir isn't secretly the means by which the plague is propagated and isn't just a propaganda tool that actually does nothing but is exactly what it says on the bottle. Protects from the undead plague, period.

It's weird that this would count as defying expectations but it certainly pleasantly surprised me when it worked out that way in a certain video game, so I hope they'll appreciate this, and maybe feel a little bit foolish for assuming. And catch the plague, obviously. But mostly the other two.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
One of the jobs that a GM has to do is act as a kind of chair for the party's meetings, if they can't do it themselves. Ask players who aren't talking what they are doing, and if the plotting goes on too long, summarise for the PCs: 'So your plan is to sneak through the sewers and disguise yourselves as bards, then?'

You can also use the Planning Roll. Instead of them planning anything in detail at all, start at the point they begin the heist. At any time, a player can roll to see if they planned for this eventuality. If they make the roll, flash back to the planning meeting where they anticipated this and came up with a solution. If they fluff it, flash back to the planning meeting where they set up the thing that is about to go disastrously wrong.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There are a couple non-obvious suggestions that can help with group dynamic. I'm going to assume your #1 answer should be 'discuss the problem with the players' because these solutions don't work without the first one in place; if you remind a player or time him out for talking too much, it comes off as dickish if you haven't talked to him before. Whereas if you have, you are instead gently reminding him of the conversation you had earlier.

1.) Assuming you are playing in real life, consider the table layout. Don't let the person who talks the most sit directly across from you (unless you have a huge table). Instead put the quietest person in your direct line of vision. This will typically force you to interact with them more and they with you. Put players who naturally cancel each other out across from each other, but don't put BFFs across from each other because they'll lag the table down in cross-talk. In larger groups, put players who rely on exclusive interaction or planning next to each other to reduce cross talk but be wary if they tend to present their ideas to the group as the defacto plan without the input of the rest of the team. etc. Play musical chairs from game to game to see what generates the best dynamic.

EDIT: Example. I have a player I always like to put across from me because she's naturally shy but loves the actual roleplaying portion of roleplaying. I found when I put her across from me we'd usually have some cool scenes and the other players would sit quietly and watch. I found when she was adjacent to me the other players would take this to mean we were having a semi-private scene and disengage. You have to observe this stuff and use it to your advantage.

2.) Clocks. Always keep an eye on the time. This helps with pacing but also gives you an idea how long a player has been grandstanding or how long its been since something exciting has happened.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 10, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mendrian posted:

There are a couple non-obvious suggestions that can help with group dynamic. I'm going to assume your #1 answer should be 'discuss the problem with the players' because these solutions don't work without the first one in place; if you remind a player or time him out for talking too much, it comes off as dickish if you haven't talked to him before. Whereas if you have, you are instead gently reminding him of the conversation you had earlier.

1.) Assuming you are playing in real life, consider the table layout. Don't let the person who talks the most sit directly across from you (unless you have a huge table). Instead put the quietest person in your direct line of vision. This will typically force you to interact with them more and they with you. Put players who naturally cancel each other out across from each other, but don't put BFFs across from each other because they'll lag the table down in cross-talk. In larger groups, put players who rely on exclusive interaction or planning next to each other to reduce cross talk but be wary if they tend to present their ideas to the group as the defacto plan without the input of the rest of the team. etc. Play musical chairs from game to game to see what generates the best dynamic.

EDIT: Example. I have a player I always like to put across from me because she's naturally shy but loves the actual roleplaying portion of roleplaying. I found when I put her across from me we'd usually have some cool scenes and the other players would sit quietly and watch. I found when she was adjacent to me the other players would take this to mean we were having a semi-private scene and disengage. You have to observe this stuff and use it to your advantage.

2.) Clocks. Always keep an eye on the time. This helps with pacing but also gives you an idea how long a player has been grandstanding or how long its been since something exciting has happened.

Yeah. Like I said, I have discussed it with them all with real talk about a real problem, several times on each side. They understand it's an issue; their natural tendencies win the day more often than not despite several conversations. And as I said, we're on Roll20, so real-life things aren't an option.

Keeping a closer eye on the clock is a good idea. I actually wondered whether I should be looking into how teachers structure lesson plans and build scenes with a sense of how long I want it to take. I wanted it to be player-driven, but I don't want it to be player-driven by a single player.

Whybird posted:

You can also use the Planning Roll. Instead of them planning anything in detail at all, start at the point they begin the heist. At any time, a player can roll to see if they planned for this eventuality. If they make the roll, flash back to the planning meeting where they anticipated this and came up with a solution. If they fluff it, flash back to the planning meeting where they set up the thing that is about to go disastrously wrong.
I'll have to think about this one. I think it would work and be quite fun with the heist-level planning problems, but not with the second-guessing and third-guessing on how to approach NPCs, or whether to go to the warehouse or the cantina first.

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is scarily close to my own group dynamic. I have three player 3s but otherwise I'm apparently parallel universe homullus.

Maybe we can arrange a player trade so that our groups are each more homogeneous.

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

If Player 4 has extensive experience with the system, you might want to leverage that knowledge by talking to them about trying a new strategy. Maybe ask Player 4 next session to take a back seat on the planning, and offer minor bits of input to see what the others do with it. It takes the spotlight off of the others for avoiding to raise their voice, and it keeps P4 feeling good while avoiding coming off as if they are in terrible trouble.
We actually did this twice, each time right after we talked about how he was dominating. It hasn't stuck as an approach. Part of this is owned by me, part of it by him, but part of it is owned by the wallflower players -- they speak up more, but less than one would hope, when Player 4 is absent. It's possible also that I'm just running the wrong kind of game for these people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but John Harper's Blades in the Dark has some general principles for "overplanning" and leadership roles within a group:

quote:

Many RPG sessions grind to a halt when planning is required. The group ends up discussing options for hours -- talking about the game rather than playing the game. Blades in the Dark cuts through all that with a lightning-fast planning technique that takes less than one minute. You make a few simple decisions and you're off and running. In addition, the players can use their teamwork bonus to activate a contingency plan, which lets them cut to a flashback scene and roll a setup action their character performed in the past.

quote:

Your crew spends time planning each score. They huddle around a flickering lantern in their lair, looking at scrawled maps, whispering plots and schemes, bickering about the best approach, lamenting the dangers ahead, and lusting after stacks of coin.

But you, the players, don't have to do the nitty-gritty planning. The characters take care of that, of-screen. All you have to do is choose what type of plan the characters have already made. That's right; the planning phase is over as soon as you start it. Just choose and go.

There are five different types of plan, each with a missing detail you need to provide. To "plan an operation," simply choose the plan and supply the detail. Then cut to the action as the first moments of the operation unfold at the target location.

When you choose a plan, the GM will ask you to provide a missing detail, like the point of attack, or the social connection, etc. If you don't know the detail, you can scout it out by gathering information.

Some groups of players naturally fall into a creative mode when the GM asks about the detail. They invent something interesting and supply the detail from their imagination in the moment. This is fun! But be aware that inventing details this way makes scouting actions irrelevant. If you don't want scouting and casing targets to be a focus of play, go ahead and simply invent the detail of the cuff. Otherwise, try to refrain from doing this. If your characters don't already know the detail, say so, and follow up with gather information actions to discover it. Or, play with a mix of approaches.

quote:

A good teamwork system is critical to making a game about a crew of scoundrels work. Blades in the Dark features a fun and intuitive teamwork mechanic that shifts the spotlight from one character to another as they go "on point" with their teammates backing them up.

quote:

When the team of PCs engages in an operation together, the GM asks the group "Who's on point?" One of the players chooses to put their character in the point role.

The character on point leads the action of the team. They go first and make decisions about how to deal with obstacles. They're also the first to face any harm or trouble that comes their way.

All the other PCs on the team are backup for the character on point. The backup characters are following their lead, on the lookout for danger, ready to step in and help.

The point and backup roles shift as the team takes action. During the course of an operation, each PC is likely to have a turn in both roles. There's no offcial "team leader" as far as the game is concerned.

When you lead a group action, you coordinate multiple members of the team to tackle a problem together. Describe how your character leads the team in a coordinated effort. Do you bark orders, give subtle hand signals, or provide charismatic inspiration?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game is Shadowrun (except it's actually a shadowrun world hack.)

My team "owns" 3 venues, a square mile of turf, harboring and moving drugs / weapons for 2 or 3 major suppliers in seattle, and are basically building a franchise based on drugs, weapons, baked goods and tea. I can't find anything in the books about corporations operated / started by shadowrunners, so I'm kind of treading into new field. These people tangled with a dragon and came out to tell the tale, so I might as well start ratcheting up the difficulty and GM their rise to AAA, but I'm having trouble filling out the fluff for that.

You guys have any good ideas / literature to read? Possible entanglements as they try to go legit?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

The game is Shadowrun (except it's actually a shadowrun world hack.)

My team "owns" 3 venues, a square mile of turf, harboring and moving drugs / weapons for 2 or 3 major suppliers in seattle, and are basically building a franchise based on drugs, weapons, baked goods and tea. I can't find anything in the books about corporations operated / started by shadowrunners, so I'm kind of treading into new field. These people tangled with a dragon and came out to tell the tale, so I might as well start ratcheting up the difficulty and GM their rise to AAA, but I'm having trouble filling out the fluff for that.

You guys have any good ideas / literature to read? Possible entanglements as they try to go legit?

Whose turf was it before the players came along? How do the 2 or 3 major suppliers feel about working with each other through the pcs? Why is owns in scare quotes?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The turf was bought from Mafia Types for a large fee, and they moved out. The suppliers don't know about each other and each think they're the only supplier currently since they just do dead drops. Owns is in scare quotes because they're technically renting the venue from the mob, but they're saving up to buy it out right and the mob lets them just operate out of there.

I should not, in total they're moving about 200,000 nuyen in profits alone every 2 weeks or so.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Whybird posted:

One of the jobs that a GM has to do is act as a kind of chair for the party's meetings, if they can't do it themselves. Ask players who aren't talking what they are doing, and if the plotting goes on too long, summarise for the PCs: 'So your plan is to sneak through the sewers and disguise yourselves as bards, then?'

This is what I do, generally. Some groups get skeeved out by it because they're used to the adversarial GM, but like, come on. If I wanted you dead, I'd drop the ceiling or something. I just want to know what I should tailor the scene's reactions to.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I should not, in total they're moving about 200,000 nuyen in profits alone every 2 weeks or so.

Ideas:

1. Turns out they haven't actually been making that much. One of their managers has been cooking the books and/or embezzling from them. Turns out that this manager has Mafia connections, so they can't just kill him without upsetting the mob.

2. Finding good help is so hard. When they look at the books, they find that one of their operations is actually running at a loss. Everyone says that before they took over the place, they used to have another manager who ran the place like a well-oiled machine. He works for some AAA now, and convincing him to come back and work in some dingy warehouse isn't going to be easy. (this is the classic recruiting run with the twist being that they were their own Mr Johnson).

3. With profits like that, the players are definitely hurting someone else's bottom line. They get a call one day that some runners hit one of their businesses and wrecked some critical piece of machinery, costing them weeks of profits. Now they need to find the runners who did this, and then find who hired them.

Basically, just think of every run the players have done on some nameless corp, scale it down to appropriate size, and have it happen to them. As they succeed, have this open new business opportunities (e.g. they find the business responsible for #3 and realize that they are on the verge of bankruptcy because of the players... now they can try to acquire that business).

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
So I had the first session for the SW Saga group the other day.
They ended up busting my plot wide open, and now the ISB are hunting them after a single session (they tried to get the Imps to give them an astromech droid, but ended up rolling so poorly on the computer use stuff/left a ton of bodies lying around with lightsaber burns and ended up blasting out of Tatooine having murdered an ISB agent and 5 Stormtroopers with a Force Slam), but they worked really well together on the whole. One guy didn't show up, having never said anything about attending despite being active in the conversation, and another was extremely quiet/did nothing all session, so I'm going to have to manage that, but they seem to be the only real OC issues.
They're working pretty well together, but I'm going to have to deal with what's going on in the background as a result of all of this. They also managed to wipe out 3 successive encounters fairly quickly, making me think I'm going to have to up the Challenge Level.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Ok so I have a surprise game of Call of Cthullu tomorrow night. I've played one game a few years ago. Can anyone give me any basic tips? I've run a few DnD games but never a horror game

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm considering running a game of Deadlands Classic here on the forums but I'm not sure how well it'd work in a PbP format. Anyone able to weigh in? Would I be better off looking at the Savage Worlds version, or are there any games with a similar setting (i.e. Wierd West) that might work well?

edit: \/\/ Interestingly, something similar is touched on in Deadlands:

quote:

A lot of new Marshals are tempted to use a lot of blood and gore to emphasize the horror. That has its place, and we’re not above it ourselves on occasion. By and large, however, you’ll find graphic descriptions of steaming entrails are nowhere near as frightening as letting the players fill in the details themselves.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 11, 2015

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Super Waffle posted:

Ok so I have a surprise game of Call of Cthullu tomorrow night. I've played one game a few years ago. Can anyone give me any basic tips? I've run a few DnD games but never a horror game

Something I learned in part from Role Playing Public Radio (Caleb touched on this in one of their episodes but I can't remember which one. Maybe the Know Evil post mortem.) is that a horror game isn't horrific because of things, it's horrific because of ideas. Shoving a grotesque monster in front of your players won't horrify them because they'll likely immediately size it up in mechanical terms. "Oh, a squamous, eldritch horror? So, what, like 20 hitpoints then?" It's the ideas of things that really freak people out. Here's an example wrapped in some storytelling.

My longtime GM buddy once ran a hybrid Cthulhu/Shadowrun game that lasted for the better part of a decade. I came in late and only played in it for the last 2 or 3 years but something that kept coming up was a place, a hospital, that the other players mentioned in hushed tones. The PCs would mention it and basically spit on the ground and cross themselves, a few of them bemoaning that they didn't nuke the site when they had the chance. It must've been a total clusterfuck, right? Like, TPK sort of situation? Nope, not at all. Exactly one PC got stressed out and traumatized there but that was it. Nobody died but this place was talked about like it was the Temple of Elemental Evil. So what happened?

The background was that the place was a mental institution for decades, maybe centuries, in a gloomy, marshy part of England. The crew was sent to infiltrate the place as an important contact had been committed there as a patient. some of the team went undercover as patients, other members went in as new employees. Being surrounded by mental patients was creepy enough but then they started missing stuff. Someone couldn't find a shoe, someone else lost their glasses or a mop. Real inconsequential stuff but odd. Eventually, one of the runners-turned-janitors is called to clean a room and the bed inside of it is literally soaked and dripping blood but no one seems to find this strange at all. 'Oh my, yes, it looks like Brenda had an accident, poor dear. What's for lunch today?' The janitor then found his missing glasses under the bed.

There's a lot of other super strange poo poo that happened (Knot parties in the attic being the absolute worst of them) but that poo poo was an 'adventure' that lasted for maybe two or three sessions, years and years ago, and our group still talks about it to this day. That's the hallmark of creepy material if you ask me. The main thing that made it creepy is that there wasn't an easy or simple explanation for any of it and things that railed against the normal (mass suicide rituals, cannibalism, supernatural perversions of reality, etc etc) were treated as perfectly benign and normal.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Anyone have fun suggestions for my players? We are conducting the Battle of Hoth and they were happy to ride AT-ATs into battle. There will be foot sessions too.

Rebels setting up mines in entrances to delay the Imperials, wampas loose from their pens, the computer they need to hack to access to find their Rebel rivals, and Rebel Dark trooper as a boss fight.

This is what they will maybe want to do or try and beat Han to the Falcon, fight Dash Rendar, or other stuff I haven't thought up.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

BlackIronHeart posted:

Something I learned in part from Role Playing Public Radio (Caleb touched on this in one of their episodes but I can't remember which one. Maybe the Know Evil post mortem.) is that a horror game isn't horrific because of things, it's horrific because of ideas. Shoving a grotesque monster in front of your players won't horrify them because they'll likely immediately size it up in mechanical terms. "Oh, a squamous, eldritch horror? So, what, like 20 hitpoints then?" It's the ideas of things that really freak people out. Here's an example wrapped in some storytelling.

My longtime GM buddy once ran a hybrid Cthulhu/Shadowrun game that lasted for the better part of a decade. I came in late and only played in it for the last 2 or 3 years but something that kept coming up was a place, a hospital, that the other players mentioned in hushed tones. The PCs would mention it and basically spit on the ground and cross themselves, a few of them bemoaning that they didn't nuke the site when they had the chance. It must've been a total clusterfuck, right? Like, TPK sort of situation? Nope, not at all. Exactly one PC got stressed out and traumatized there but that was it. Nobody died but this place was talked about like it was the Temple of Elemental Evil. So what happened?

The background was that the place was a mental institution for decades, maybe centuries, in a gloomy, marshy part of England. The crew was sent to infiltrate the place as an important contact had been committed there as a patient. some of the team went undercover as patients, other members went in as new employees. Being surrounded by mental patients was creepy enough but then they started missing stuff. Someone couldn't find a shoe, someone else lost their glasses or a mop. Real inconsequential stuff but odd. Eventually, one of the runners-turned-janitors is called to clean a room and the bed inside of it is literally soaked and dripping blood but no one seems to find this strange at all. 'Oh my, yes, it looks like Brenda had an accident, poor dear. What's for lunch today?' The janitor then found his missing glasses under the bed.

There's a lot of other super strange poo poo that happened (Knot parties in the attic being the absolute worst of them) but that poo poo was an 'adventure' that lasted for maybe two or three sessions, years and years ago, and our group still talks about it to this day. That's the hallmark of creepy material if you ask me. The main thing that made it creepy is that there wasn't an easy or simple explanation for any of it and things that railed against the normal (mass suicide rituals, cannibalism, supernatural perversions of reality, etc etc) were treated as perfectly benign and normal.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have version 5.6, do you know of any Quick Reference sheets or good beginning adventures?

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012

Ramba Ral posted:

Anyone have fun suggestions for my players? We are conducting the Battle of Hoth and they were happy to ride AT-ATs into battle. There will be foot sessions too.

Rebels setting up mines in entrances to delay the Imperials, wampas loose from their pens, the computer they need to hack to access to find their Rebel rivals, and Rebel Dark trooper as a boss fight.

This is what they will maybe want to do or try and beat Han to the Falcon, fight Dash Rendar, or other stuff I haven't thought up.

Maybe give them a special mission that wasn't seen in the movies, like taking out a critical system for the Ion cannon the Rebels were using? Or having a time sensitive mission, such as intel/data recovery with a bigger reward for doing the mission quickly?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Super Waffle posted:

If you still have time before the game, here's a quick tip for horror games: use a mix of senses in your descriptions.

The room is covered in bright red blood, sure. But it also leaves the walls and railings slick; the air has a slight coppery taste; there's an overpowering smell of human poo poo; or the quiet squelching when walking across the carpet.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Ramba Ral posted:

Anyone have fun suggestions for my players?

Let them heist-capture an AT-AT and go rampaging in it.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Like BlackIron posted above, the key thing in building horror is that your players will always, always unnerve themselves better than you possibly could. Feed them just enough to get their minds racing but never, ever, ever explicitly spell anything out when you can avoid it and leave them slightly off balance in the process.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Super Waffle posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have version 5.6, do you know of any Quick Reference sheets or good beginning adventures?

Unfortunately not. We were running SR3 as our ruleset and I've literally never played CoC.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Walker posted:

Is there any kind of Fallout conversion for AW because I'd be all over that

Any thoughts towards Atomic Highway? Mutants, vehicles, post-apocalyptic, psychic powers optional.

It's probably a little closer to Atomic Mad Max, but the vehicle building rules are quite good and you can just cut them out if they're not for you.

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
So this has taken a turn for the strange/bad. The absentee member of my party started playing this evening, and rolled up a Droid hero based on a Super Battle Droid.
Long story short, they ended up capturing an ISB agent in disguise, and after he attempted to access the locater hidden in his belt, the rest of the party decided to step outside and task the droid with searching him.
The guy decided his character would cavity search the agent, with a non-dextrous hand roughly the size of a bread loaf. I checked that this was what he was going to do twice, informing him of the potential ramifications. The agent didn't die on the spot thanks to a Con save, but the player then got extremely defensive when I assiged him Dark side points as a result, citing that being a droid, he didn't know right from wrong.
His character is a semi-sentient droid, and due to backstory reasons believes himself to be a certain Jedi.
The party then proceeded to get rather annoyed with the player, requesting that he act as his character would from then on.
This situation was solved by another party member taking responsibility for ordering the search, and offered the compromise of taking the DS point himself, as well as "adding a morale compass to his programming".
How should I deal with this going forward? The person is a great guy, but seems to always want to play murder/torture hobos. If he continues to act out like this, I know I need to do something but given that he's also inexperienced with RPGs, I can see him taking it the wrong way (ie me having a problem with him, rather than how he's playing his character).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

4533josh posted:

So this has taken a turn for the strange/bad. The absentee member of my party started playing this evening, and rolled up a Droid hero based on a Super Battle Droid.
Long story short, they ended up capturing an ISB agent in disguise, and after he attempted to access the locater hidden in his belt, the rest of the party decided to step outside and task the droid with searching him.
The guy decided his character would cavity search the agent, with a non-dextrous hand roughly the size of a bread loaf. I checked that this was what he was going to do twice, informing him of the potential ramifications. The agent didn't die on the spot thanks to a Con save, but the player then got extremely defensive when I assiged him Dark side points as a result, citing that being a droid, he didn't know right from wrong.
His character is a semi-sentient droid, and due to backstory reasons believes himself to be a certain Jedi.
The party then proceeded to get rather annoyed with the player, requesting that he act as his character would from then on.
This situation was solved by another party member taking responsibility for ordering the search, and offered the compromise of taking the DS point himself, as well as "adding a morale compass to his programming".
How should I deal with this going forward? The person is a great guy, but seems to always want to play murder/torture hobos. If he continues to act out like this, I know I need to do something but given that he's also inexperienced with RPGs, I can see him taking it the wrong way (ie me having a problem with him, rather than how he's playing his character).

Sit down with the guy and explain to him, calmly and clearly, that you're not interested in running a murderhobo game.

Seriously, it need not be more complicated than that. "I don't have a problem with you wanting to play this kind of character; I have a problem with this type of character in this specific game, because it doesn't really fit the kind of mood I'm trying to establish here." If you're worried about him feeling personally attacked, then step in and assume responsibility, even if it's not entirely warranted; make sure he knows that the friction stems from you having a clear idea of the game you want to run and perhaps that wasn't explained well enough and that's on you (or whatever). This may be somewhat unjust, but it works.

If that doesn't work, then regardless of how great the guy is, he simply might not be the right fit for your group or your style of GMing. It happens. I like to think I'm pretty good at the whole roleplaying thing, but I've known GMs who don't want me in their game because I tend to focus on my character and the way they think and feel and what motivates them to the point where I'm more than willing to derail their story, whereas they're the type of GM who focus on their story to the point where they don't consider character motivations beyond 'you should want to participate in my story.' I'm still friends with some of 'em, too; they're good people, but in a gaming sense, we just don't mesh well. It happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sit down with the guy and explain to him, calmly and clearly, that you're not interested in running a murderhobo game.

I did this recently from the other side of the argument -- I had to explain to the GM (D&D 5th edition) and other PCs that yeah, okay, they wanted to roll a group of Lawful Evil antiheroes to adventure about the countryside, and that was cool and all, but that playing out violent extremes was (1) uncomfortable, and (2) boring as gently caress. Nobody (hopefully) wants to meet up, bring their ideas and motivation to the table, and sit through a robot fist-rape scene or prolonged flensing-villagers-for-no-reason encounter or somesuch. We eventually agreed as players that our time could be better spent doing literally anything else besides killing swaths of commoners.

So if that's what out-of-context violence feels like from a player's perspective... ugh. Maybe establishing in no uncertain terms that terrible tragedy will befall that PC if they do something like that again? Whatever happens, I'd just say don't let your players make you RP something you don't want RP'd.