Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Ralepozozaxe posted:

People always talk about how smart and how good at debate Ted Cruz is, but take him out of his comfort zone and he's all "and and and".

People who cite Cruz's debate skill as proof that he'll glide to the nomination are forgetting that when asked a non-confrontational question he acts like a high schooler caught drinking by his parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

whitey delenda est posted:

How does one "use" a bible? Like... to prop up a wobbly table leg, or maybe to kill bugs?

Gun storage.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I like how an actual discussion over a political topic conducted by posters who genuinely disagree in good faith is considered to be some insane derail. Sure it's a small point to debate in the grand scheme of things but it touches on a very important topic in our fully emerging police state. Now let's get back to posting gifs, sorry guys!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

I like how an actual discussion over a political topic conducted by posters who genuinely disagree in good faith is considered to be some insane derail. Sure it's a small point to debate in the grand scheme of things but it touches on a very important topic in our fully emerging police state. Now let's get back to posting gifs, sorry guys!

It was a pretty horrible topic of debate.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I disagree. You won't find many points of contention about the case on this forum, since such incontrovertible evidence of guilt has been made public. How far the killer's state-sponsored benefits should extend, now that's a much more interesting political/ethical quandary (without the legions of strawmen anyway).

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 10, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

I disagree. You won't find many points of contention about the case on this forum, since such incontrovertible evidence of guilt has been made public. How far the killer's state-sponsored benefits should extend, now that's a much more interesting political/ethical quandary (without the legions of strawmen anyway).

Yeah it's an interesting side story for sure. Except it's a poo poo topic for us pol.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "[Obama is] using his precious time in the Oval Office to call people up to congratulate them for being gay. [Chris Kyle’s] widow didn’t get a phone call, but a football player who came out did.” ~ Mike Huckabee.

The football player wasn't a coward or a war criminal.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

If the murder victim worked for the sanitation department and had a pregnant wife, would you object to the department keeping him on the books until she had the child so that she didnt lose the insurance she had at the time?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tarezax posted:

Got details? How did money lose him the race?
I was kidding around mostly but the guy outspent the other leading candidates and had the backing of the chamber of commerce, major local party guys, etc. but lost with only 14% of the vote lol

E: this is Alaska so outspent is pennys elsewhere, like $325k

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

saintonan posted:

The football player wasn't a coward or a war criminal.

:drat:

Also someone has attacked the census beurue. Hopefully just some crazy non affiliated lone wolf.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/04/09/gunman-opens-fire-at-census-bureau.html

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If the murder victim worked for the sanitation department and had a pregnant wife, would you object to the department keeping him on the books until she had the child so that she didnt lose the insurance she had at the time?

South Carolina law mandates that health benefits for the spouse of a state worker who dies in the line of duty be maintained for the following 12 months.

http://www.eip.sc.gov/category/coverage/survivors

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

I was kidding around mostly but the guy outspent the other leading candidates and had the backing of the chamber of commerce, major local party guys, etc. but lost with only 14% of the vote lol

E: this is Alaska so outspent is pennys elsewhere, like $325k

325k is like, less than a week of ads here. Alaska seems like it'd be one of the cheaper states to purchase office in

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Crowsbeak posted:

Also someone has attacked the census beurue. Hopefully just some crazy non affiliated lone wolf.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/04/09/gunman-opens-fire-at-census-bureau.html
Jesus gently caress, my brother works there. :stonk: I called him and he's fine, he wasn't there when the guy showed up. Apparently the gunman has been apprehended.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

My Imaginary GF posted:

325k is like, less than a week of ads here. Alaska seems like it'd be one of the cheaper states to purchase office in
fwiw it worked for the Senate seat this last year

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Jesus gently caress, my brother works there. :stonk: I called him and he's fine, he wasn't there when the guy showed up. Apparently the gunman has been apprehended.

I'm sure they won't find anything at his apartment related to Alex Jones or Glenn Beck.

The man tells us that it was "a joke", but that's what they'd want you to think isn't it?

It's still up on drudge too.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

Looks like Rick Santorum's PAC is going to launch it's own network TV crime drama based around ISIS haxing teh gibson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExyzEhJ_8Q

Patriot Voices: Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest [Coming this Fall on ABC]

The music is amazing but the best part is the PAC slogan of "Giving A Voice To Working Families." Spending money to give voice to the top concern of all working families: the possibility that ISIS hacked Hilary's personal email server.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 10, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

No. I would rather everyone had care, but if this is the best option for assuring that a woman can afford to give birth in a safe and sanitary environment, I am for it.

Crowsbeak posted:

Odds on the likely white dude being called a terrorist by the right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Karnegal posted:

Odds on the likely white dude being called a terrorist by the right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yes, if it meant purposefully not granting that same benefit to other people in the same municipal government who might have died or lost their jobs. Again, it's not the extension I object to, its the privilege granted to the officer that others would not receive. Families of cops don't deserve special treatment because of their profession.

I'd also like someone to answer this question: if the police department sets up a college fund for the kid and funnels public money into it, would objecting to that be "punishing" the wife? If so, why is an extension of healthcare benefits ok but not the college fund? What about a special pension for the wife if the officer goes to jail? How about extending the healthcare coverage until he's 1? Or 10? Where does "empathy" end and undeserved privilege begin? (I realize this is a hypothetical)

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 10, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes, if it meant purposefully not granting that same benefit to other people in the same municipal government who might have died or lost their jobs. Again, it's not the extension I object to, its the privilege granted to the officer that others would not receive. Families of cops don't deserve special treatment because of their profession.

I'd also like someone to answer this question: if the police department sets up a college fund for the kid and funnels public money into it, would objecting to that be "punishing" the wife? If so, why is an extension of healthcare benefits ok but not the college fund? What about a special pension for the wife if the officer goes to jail? How about extending the healthcare coverage until he's 1? Or 10? Where does "empathy" end and undeserved privilege begin? (I realize this is a hypothetical)

You can actually die giving birth without quality care - crazy! Not going to college will not kill you. I hope that helps

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah I'm sure this woman would be thrown into an alleyway to give birth without her exact current insurance plan. Also why do you want to punish this woman by not giving her child college tuition? Put your cophateboner away, Jesus!

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 10, 2015

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
Oh god don't start it up again

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

"Health of the mother"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah I'm sure this woman would be thrown into an alleyway to give birth without her exact current insurance plan.

Have you ever not had health insurance in your life? Because you sure sound like someone who never had to deal with it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
You guys really do think the mother will be forced to give birth in the back of a garbage truck if the police department followed standard procedure, don't you?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I think that as tempting as it may be, crab mentality is counterproductive and getting angry over something like this is a waste of outrage I could be feeling towards much more deserving targets

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Lotka Volterra posted:

I am waiting for when they start banning the use of "income in/equality" and "taxes".

This coming from the party that thinks political correctness and free speech are constant threat/at constant threat/CENSORSHIP

Lbheghklvrehlkevrlkevr! gently caress!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unzip and Attack posted:

You guys really do think the mother will be forced to give birth in the back of a garbage truck if the police department followed standard procedure, don't you?

It's a possibility that she will be denied adequate medical care you colossal douche. Do you also believe illegal abortions are performed in safe conditions?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This argument sounds completely batshit; is it worth going back all those pages to figure out how it started?

edit: especially the crab stuff

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 10, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I think that as tempting as it may be, crab mentality is counterproductive and getting angry over something like this is a waste of outrage I could be feeling towards much more deserving targets

I'm kinda curious, what exactly is the positive action that the crabs are supposed to take instead of fighting to the top of the bucket?

Its not like they can team up and overpower the crabmonger or use their iron-clad claws to rip into the bucket.

Really, being at the top of the bucket increase the chance you'll be jostled overboard. A good crab.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unzip and Attack posted:

If she weren't, then something has gone horribly wrong with the America I grew up in.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

This argument sounds completely batshit; is it worth going back all those pages to figure out how it started?

edit: especially the crab stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'll sum up. Some posters think that extending the accused killer's insurance coverage to cover the wife while she's pregnant is a nice thought but it's also highly indicative of a huge double standard that underscores the privilege that police, even those obviously guilty of murder, enjoy. Other posters acknowledge this double standard but think the extension is a moral good therefore the exception is warranted. It's actually a pretty interesting discussion with a lot of ethical ambiguity in my opinion, but hey, we wouldn't want to disrupt the circle jerk now would we?

Hey Rand Paul is really stupid and his hair is also stupid. Am I right guys?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

No, but I do think it's really dumb to begrudge a humane act provided to a woman in a critical time in her life, even if she is married to a police officer.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm kinda curious, what exactly is the positive action that the crabs are supposed to take instead of fighting to the top of the bucket?

Its not like they can team up and overpower the crabmonger or use their iron-clad claws to rip into the bucket.

Really, being at the top of the bucket increase the chance you'll be jostled overboard. A good crab.

Only if there's just one rear end in a top hat crab. The problem is that every crab is an rear end in a top hat, so the crabs beneath the top crab are pulling him down, too. I like to think of crabs as, "self-storing." They're so busy fighting to be on top that they'll never get out of the holes I put them in.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'll sum up. Some posters think that extending the accused killer's insurance coverage to cover the wife while she's pregnant is a nice thought but it's also highly indicative of a huge double standard that underscores the privilege that police, even those obviously guilty of murder, enjoy. Other posters acknowledge this double standard but think the extension is a moral good therefore the exception is warranted. It's actually a pretty interesting discussion with a lot of ethical ambiguity in my opinion, but hey, we wouldn't want to disrupt the circle jerk now would we?

Hey Rand Paul is really stupid and his hair is also stupid. Am I right guys?

Well to be fair, when someone described Rand's hair as "dry macaroni glued to his skull" it was the funniest thing I'd heard today.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Rand Paul, kill your parent.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Trabisnikof posted:

The idea is that if each crab, instead of panicking and trying to be on top, worked together to create a unified crab initiative, that they could all be theoretically pulled out of the bucket through unity. That would require many things: the ability for the crab to overcome the natural pressures of the danger it feels, the artificial threats created by the crabmonger, and the contagious panic of the other crabs.

I like the metaphor because it can be extended. In this case, imagine the crabmonger is the person who's put you into this pot: an oligarch. They can pick you up, push you down, and their goal is to eat you. The person in control only needs to stimulate your natural panic reflexes to get you to fight the other crabs in desperation, and stay trapped. I believe the metaphor is illustrative because it makes an absolutist claim about human behavior, and the cornerstone of human behavior is adaptability.

Let's go back to being metaphorical: even if I admit the impossibility of each of your scenarios above, I can come up with more. They don't need to team up to overpower the crabmonger. Why fight against your opponent's strength. The crabs could cling together with the fiercest pinchers at top, draw attention and bite the poo poo out of the hand. Now the crabmonger is panicked. Now the bucket has been overturned, or perhaps accidentally thrown back in the water. All of the crabs can freeze, and act like they're dead. Now the crabmonger is worried that he's killed the crabs he intends to eat, and now HE's panicking again.

My problem with the people in this thread is that they genuinely believe that we are behaviorally crab-like; that we lack the ability to think outside the bucket, and that any nonconformist ideas should be met with pinching and grabbing. I fiercely believe that there are unpredictable, wild, massively risky techniques that we can attempt as humans to escape the certain death we face if we simply keep on crabbin.

I dream of a carefully planned crab offensive that throws the human being rear end crabmonger out of the boat, opens up the bait bucket, and gives us control of the helm. Because we're HUMAN loving BEINGS. We build pyramids and write relativistic physics, and build Saturn V rockets. Just because you've always been told that human beings cannot unite, will always factionalize and kill each other, even unto their own extinction does not make it true. We are NOT crabs, and it's time to stop acting like crab-rear end dipshits.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You're weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Quidam Viator posted:

The idea is that if each crab, instead of panicking and trying to be on top, worked together to create a unified crab initiative, that they could all be theoretically pulled out of the bucket through unity. That would require many things: the ability for the crab to overcome the natural pressures of the danger it feels, the artificial threats created by the crabmonger, and the contagious panic of the other crabs.

I like the metaphor because it can be extended. In this case, imagine the crabmonger is the person who's put you into this pot: an oligarch. They can pick you up, push you down, and their goal is to eat you. The person in control only needs to stimulate your natural panic reflexes to get you to fight the other crabs in desperation, and stay trapped. I believe the metaphor is illustrative because it makes an absolutist claim about human behavior, and the cornerstone of human behavior is adaptability.

Let's go back to being metaphorical: even if I admit the impossibility of each of your scenarios above, I can come up with more. They don't need to team up to overpower the crabmonger. Why fight against your opponent's strength. The crabs could cling together with the fiercest pinchers at top, draw attention and bite the poo poo out of the hand. Now the crabmonger is panicked. Now the bucket has been overturned, or perhaps accidentally thrown back in the water. All of the crabs can freeze, and act like they're dead. Now the crabmonger is worried that he's killed the crabs he intends to eat, and now HE's panicking again.

My problem with the people in this thread is that they genuinely believe that we are behaviorally crab-like; that we lack the ability to think outside the bucket, and that any nonconformist ideas should be met with pinching and grabbing. I fiercely believe that there are unpredictable, wild, massively risky techniques that we can attempt as humans to escape the certain death we face if we simply keep on crabbin.

I dream of a carefully planned crab offensive that throws the human being rear end crabmonger out of the boat, opens up the bait bucket, and gives us control of the helm. Because we're HUMAN loving BEINGS. We build pyramids and write relativistic physics, and build Saturn V rockets. Just because you've always been told that human beings cannot unite, will always factionalize and kill each other, even unto their own extinction does not make it true. We are NOT crabs, and it's time to stop acting like crab-rear end dipshits.

The point of the crabs in a bucket metaphor is that people should be smarter than crabs.

• Locked thread