Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Geoj posted:

Lately the post office has been doing a much better job than Prestige ever did when Amazon was using them. Only time I got my packages on time from them was if I drove to the regional distribution warehouse and picked it up myself.

I just canceled my Prime membership. My local mail carrier is a lazy, lying prick and the Postmaster doesn't give a flying gently caress. I e-mailed Amazon a few months ago and told them I didn't want anything Prime shipped USPS anymore, and their CSR said not a problem. The last Prime package I ordered got shipped USPS, and when I talked to another CSR they said there was no way to guarantee a particular shipping type and I'd just have to deal with it. So I told 'em to gently caress off.

My local USPS is so bad I have effectively boycotted any online retailers that don't ship other ways.

Also, I'm sitting at work at quarter 'till 9pm on a Thursday, waiting for a single-threaded script to update 50 linux boxes. It's been in process since for about 2 hours, now. There's severe thunderstorms outside, and I've got a whole two weeks left with my current company before my contact is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Locator posted:

I had to Google him. So now I know that he's an ex-cricket player sports commentator, and that he's apparently dead.

It's kinda weird that literally 1.5 Billion people would know exactly who he is and why he's a genuine loss but anyone in the USA or Canada or most of Europe would be huh who the hell is that?

He was literally the face of Australian summer for 40 odd years, as soon as you saw him on the TV, you knew cricket was coming back.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elmnt80 posted:

It seems to be a 50/50 thing for me. Both times I've broken my right arm, its required surgery. First time I came out perfectly fine and scared the nurses since I hopped right on up. Next time it took me nearly 24 hours to recover from being put under. And oh god, the loving pain was unreal when I did. :v:

I got yelled at because I immediately tried to stand when the corpsman said I could change. And now my wife yells at me if I move.

Dammit I'm fine, despite the six inches of bandage on my knee. Or maybe that's the norcos talking.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You haven't lived until they cut your team in half and move to a drag-and-drop single-threaded 32-bit enterprise software solution based entirely on tables that, by the way, the company also makes.

Take your raise and spend it on a suit for the next round of interviews.

As it was explained to me, half of this decision was that they're having a hard time hiring python resources because none of them want to work at this lovely company and I'm thinking hmmmm, that's fair, I don't want to work at this lovely company either.

Good motivation to finally kick me in the pants and force me to freshen up my resume like I've been threatening myself to do for the last month.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So what's a good outfit to wear for a job interview with a trade? I have an interview tomorrow morning for an HVAC/Electrician company and I've never interviewed with such a company.

Usually my interview attire is a white dress shirt, black dress pants, black dress shoes. (And a tie based on the company) Is that too formal for something like this?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

So what's a good outfit to wear for a job interview with a trade? I have an interview tomorrow morning for an HVAC/Electrician company and I've never interviewed with such a company.

Usually my interview attire is a white dress shirt, black dress pants, black dress shoes. (And a tie based on the company) Is that too formal for something like this?

Show up wearing a jumpsuit with the company logo and your name already embroidered on it.

Moxie Omen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 10, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ExplodingSims posted:

Are you interviewing for a labor job or working in the office?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

For a service Tech postion.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sigma X posted:

I just canceled my Prime membership. My local mail carrier is a lazy, lying prick and the Postmaster doesn't give a flying gently caress. I e-mailed Amazon a few months ago and told them I didn't want anything Prime shipped USPS anymore, and their CSR said not a problem. The last Prime package I ordered got shipped USPS, and when I talked to another CSR they said there was no way to guarantee a particular shipping type and I'd just have to deal with it. So I told 'em to gently caress off.

My local USPS is so bad I have effectively boycotted any online retailers that don't ship other ways.

This mirrors my experience.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

I am personally of the belief that it's not possible to over-dress for an interview. It shows you care enough about the position to make an effort to dress nice and make a good impression. I used to do interviews, and if I had to choose between two equally well qualified people, and one showed up in a suit (or other suitable professional attire), and the other came in jeans and a T-shirt, the suit guy was going to get the offer, even though we had a very casual dress code. It would not make as much difference if it was between a suit, and well groomed business casual, but dressing up was never a 'bad' thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are you a redneck? If so, make sure to take a beer with you.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Bake a huge batch of cookies, tell them there's more where that came from.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'll save those pro-tips for the mechanical contractor I REALLY want to get a job with. :v:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 10, 2015

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

ssjonizuka posted:

Anyone have a carfax to burn? Someone wants me to run a vin report on my ONE OWNER CAR WITH NO ACCIDENTS for them even though I'm not the one buying the thing. sigh.

I might be late but I'm always down to help out with the CarFax cause with my dealer account. I don't have PMs anymore though so you'll have to post them here.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I know I'm a bit late but I finally finished the Office.

I loved the ending. I thought it was fitting.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

I'll save those pro-tips for the mechanical contractor I REALLY want to get a job with.

I'm a partner in a small hvac company and have done a minimal amount of interviewing, so I don't know how qualified I am to answer. As long as you don't look like a slob and you know what you're about, you'll be fine. In my opinion.

If someone interviewed for a service tech position in a suit and tie, I'd find that weird. (Know your audience) But, I'm in a small outfit in a small town. Despite being a partner I still work service and installs almost full time, so I might be a little off base compared to what a proper HR Dept might expect.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well, apparently the refrigerant on my home's AC is low, because it iced up both the condenser and compressor. Ugh.

Thankfully, being an older house, it has a big swamp fan in the attic that suck the air out of the house. So that'll tide us over till pay day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Remember me bitching about Verizon's territory out here being taken over by Frontier?

Looks like the layoffs have already started. Two friends of mine are engineers on the FiOS team here. One just got his pink slip. He'll be able to find another job reasonably easy, given his skill set. However, his boss got one too - she's in her 50s and has cancer, it'll be pretty difficult for her to find something. The other friend hasn't gotten her layoff notice yet, but she's expecting it any day now. The layoff includes a laughable severance.

Upper management had told them everyone would be keeping their jobs and could transition to Frontier, or they could move to the northeast and stay with Verizon. Neither option was actually offered to them, of course.

Maybe related, maybe not, but I've had more outages in the past month than I have in the past three years combined. I'm already close to dropping them for everything except internet, since they dropped The Weather Channel with literally about 15 minutes notice.

Goober Peas posted:

Amazon Prime + any variation of USPS = good luck seeing your package anytime soon

It's even better because Amazon doesn't give you a choice of carriers.

When I lived in dorms, I had one address for UPS, Fedex, etc (they could deliver to the actual dorm).... and another for USPS (a PO box in the campus mail center, over a mile away). Amazon still doesn't recognize this as an issue, and I had tons of poo poo returned because of it. Thankfully, the university did recognize it as an issue, and got the campus mail center to start accepting UPS/Fedex.

The Locator posted:

I also stay far far away from narcotic painkillers now. I got shingles a couple of years ago and they prescribed Vicoden. Holy poo poo I've never thought I was actually going to die before taking that poo poo. I spent 12 hours on the floor in my bathroom throwing up and not sure if I was actually going to ever leave that room.

One side effect of opiates (which covers most narcotic pain killers) is nausea. Some people only get it in higher doses, some people yak with any dose.

I used to have to take phenergan (anti-nausea med) anytime I was prescribed narcotic pain killers. They don't really phase my stomach these days though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

Well, apparently the refrigerant on my home's AC is low, because it iced up both the condenser and compressor. Ugh.

Thankfully, being an older house, it has a big swamp fan in the attic that suck the air out of the house. So that'll tide us over till pay day.

Do you have gauges? I can't imagine home ac being completely different from car ac. Same principal... Just bigger.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Yeah, but just like automotive ac, contrary to popular opine, refrigerant doesn't get "used up" or whatever. It leaks. And depending on the system, topping it up a few times a year isn't that economical. R22 isn't getting any cheaper.

My dad tells me stories of hosing down six packs of beer with R12 to insta chill them. Before anybody knew better. What ozone?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The pressures will be a bit different, since older home AC generally uses R-22. Also different valve sizes, so automotive gauges won't work without an adapter. I'm not even sure what newer stuff uses (404?), I just know the EPA banned new appliances pre-charged with R-22 in 2010 (so that may not even apply to a conventional split system, since they're usually not pre-charged).

Same principles as automotive, but you need a license to buy R-22. And the license you would use for mobile AC (R-12 or R-134a usually) can't be used to purchase R-22.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 10, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I know I have adapters for R404 in my tool box, that's the only reason why I threw it out there. Bit I have a buddy that does HVAC work, so a case of beer took care of any of those issues.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do you have gauges? I can't imagine home ac being completely different from car ac. Same principal... Just bigger.

Its pretty simple, but as other people have pointed out, leaks would make me recharging it a fruitless endeavor if its leaking sufficiently.

I suspect its low too, as I can 'hear' the bubbling in the line going to the condenser, and it used to be smooth flowing. Either way, I'll have someone else charge it and check it, as its still under warranty.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

The pressures will be a bit different, since older home AC generally uses R-22. Also different valve sizes, so automotive gauges won't work without an adapter. I'm not even sure what newer stuff uses (404?), I just know the EPA banned new appliances pre-charged with R-22 in 2010 (so that may not even apply to a conventional split system, since they're usually not pre-charged).

Same principles as automotive, but you need a license to buy R-22. And the license you would use for mobile AC (R-12 or R-134a usually) can't be used to purchase R-22.

You can buy R-22 on eBay in the big propane bottle sized containers. Getting around the law is hilariously easy, you can either:
1) Provide a copy of the license of the person who will be doing the installation of the R-22 (doesn't have to be the purchaser).
or
2) Provide a letter certifying that you are purchasing the R-22 with the intent to sell it to a licensed contractor. Note that you do not need to provide any information about the theoretical licensed contractor you intend to "sell" it to.

So yea, not terribly hard to get if you can create a letter and sign it.

Pressure wise, R-22 systems run somewhere around 200psi I think, while the R-4xx stuff is closer to 400psi, which is why you can't use it in the older systems, they aren't designed for the higher pressures.

Note: The pressures are based on information from a blowhard neighbor who went to A/C school, so the numbers may be terribly wrong.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, if your system is icing up you either have a leak, or a problem with your TVX valve or something. Your evaporator is being starved, and that's what causes the ice. Either way, it's probably something that'd be easier to take care of, cause as stated above, refrigerant ain't getting any cheaper. Refrigerant doesn't just vanish, systems should never really need to be topped off for the entire life of the system if it's installed right.

If its an R-22 system and you have gauges, you low side should be around 68.5 psig. The high side you'll have to calculate with a pressure temperature conversion, but it should be ambient + 30 or so. For any other refrigerant, you can figure it out the same way too, your evaporator is supposed to be running at 40 degrees, so take that and convert it to the correct pressure, and there you go.

STR: Any modern system is going to be charged with a 4-series blend. 410A is most common for split-system residential use. Most fridges use R-134a, though commercial stuff tends to run 404 or so. Also, the gauges should be the same size, 1/4 fittings. Unless you bought hoses with the quick-disconnects permanently attached.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 10, 2015

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Anyone got a good recommendation for a cheap obd2 reader on Amazon.? I have the wifi one and some iPhone apps but they don't like the fiat and won't read the codes. It won't start after the tune and I'm not sure if I unplugged something or my ECU is bricked.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Everything we have at work (make tables), and everything at my last job, ran on 134a (except for the ice maker). :iiam: And the ice maker's compressor would actually ice over. I don't mean the lines to it, the compressor itself would ice up. Can't say I've ever seen anything like that before.

I'm half tempted to turn in our "handyman" at work actually. Not only did he vent the main make table when replacing the compressor, he did so by using a cutting torch on the lines. Doesn't 134a turn into nasty poo poo when exposed to a flame? (also only vacuumed it for 5 minutes before charging; owners bitch about that make table eating compressors every 6-12 months too)

Holdbrooks posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a cheap obd2 reader on Amazon.? I have the wifi one and some iPhone apps but they don't like the fiat and won't read the codes. It won't start after the tune and I'm not sure if I unplugged something or my ECU is bricked.

PLX Kiwi is my go-to. It's not the cheapest, but it's worked on everything I've plugged it into. They have a wifi version as well. and it looks like it's about the same price as the Bluetooth version.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 10, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, if your system is icing up you either have a leak, or a problem with your TVX valve or something. Your evaporator is being starved, and that's what causes the ice. Either way, it's probably something that'd be easier to take care of, cause as stated above, refrigerant ain't getting any cheaper. Refrigerant doesn't just vanish, systems should never really need to be topped off for the entire life of the system if it's installed right.

If its an R-22 system and you have gauges, you low side should be around 68.5 psig. The high side you'll have to calculate with a pressure temperature conversion, but it should be ambient + 30 or so. For any other refrigerant, you can figure it out the same way too, your evaporator is supposed to be running at 40 degrees, so take that and convert it to the correct pressure, and there you go.

STR: Any modern system is going to be charged with a 4-series blend. 410A is most common for split-system residential use. Most fridges use R-134a, though commercial stuff tends to run 404 or so. Also, the gauges should be the same size, 1/4 fittings. Unless you bought hoses with the quick-disconnects permanently attached.

Yeah, this is why I'm going to let someone who already knows what he is doing dick with it. I'd rather not gently caress up something that I KNOW was working recently.

Thankfully, being an older house, we have this big fuckoff fan that sucks air into the attic:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 10, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, Ice makers tend to run 404 usually. It has a higher boiling temp, so it can make ice more easily. 0 Degrees at 33 psig.

And yeah, that's a sketchy "handiman" Refrigerants decompose into phosgene, among other things .Plus the venting thing isn't great either.
As far as time spent vacuuming goes that doesn't matter so much, if he has a proper gauge with a micron reader, and it gets below 500 microns, he's good to go. On a small system that's properly brazed up it can pull down quite quickly. Something tells me none of the above applies to him though. :v:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Haw. Welcome to Hotlanta

Have we ever figured out who else lives in the north metro?
Also gently caress this pollen. Waxed the Tiger 10meter today. Took more time to get the scum line of pollen off the drat thing than putting ptfe on the whole wetted surface of the lower hull. X5 was a champ pulling it out, though! :D

e:

Holdbrooks posted:

anything elm327 based will work with torque. Wow I read gud. Go ahead and buy a cheap android tablet or something because Apple's bluetooth implementation is poo poo.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 10, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Have we ever figured out who else lives in the north metro?
Also gently caress this pollen. Waxed the Tiger 10meter today. Took more time to get the scum line of pollen off the drat thing than putting ptfe on the whole wetted surface of the lower hull. X5 was a champ pulling it out, though! :D

We need more Atlanta Goons. :getin:
I've washed the Audi, Volvo, and TDI almost 4 times in the past week. The only car I own not covered in tree spooge is the Audi 4k, who stays shut up in the garage.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Hey guys, remember me?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Holy poo poo, I knew that name looked familiar! Haven't seen you post in ages man.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

We need more Atlanta Goons. :getin:

I need to get you out sailing one day.

Speaking of which, our North American Champion trophy came in last week with our shirts from the class association!

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tiger_10_M)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo, I knew that name looked familiar! Haven't seen you post in ages man.

I know, right? My automotive pursuits have tapered off drastically, last car I bought was...new, and um... Japanese. - I still have my fleet.. I don't remember if I ever shared my 54 Buick wagon, but I'm focusing on my upcoming wedding, buying a house (old of course) and my career.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Waxed the Tiger 10meter today.

Googled this. I am now officially jealous.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LobsterboyX posted:

Hey guys, remember me?

ABOUT drat TIME YOU SHOWED BACK UP

SuperDucky posted:

anything elm327 based will work with torque.

It sounds like he's using an iOS device though, which can't use any Bluetooth OBD2 adapter (and definitely can't use Torque). He's stuck with wifi adapters.

CommieGIR posted:

Thankfully, being an older house, we have this big fuckoff fan that sucks air into the attic:

Attic fans are awesome if you live in a climate where they can work well. My grandfather actually had a huge house in New Mexico (in the mountains) that was built without a/c (5 bedroom/5 bathroom "3 car garage that can fit 6 LobsterboyX Cadillacs" quad-level monster), and just opening the windows and firing up that fan would make it downright awesome even in August. The house was built in the 80s, so it wasn't THAT old.

He did eventually add a/c, though the outside units always blew the fuses (who actually installs fuses in the 90s?!). And it was a "vacation home" (at ~5000 sq ft :cripes:).

ExplodingSims posted:

And yeah, that's a sketchy "handiman" Refrigerants decompose into phosgene, among other things .Plus the venting thing isn't great either.
As far as time spent vacuuming goes that doesn't matter so much, if he has a proper gauge with a micron reader, and it gets below 500 microns, he's good to go. On a small system that's properly brazed up it can pull down quite quickly. Something tells me none of the above applies to him though. :v:

Hahahahah you assume he had a gauge on the vacuum pump. That's so adorable.:allears:

He was out there again yesterday replacing.... another compressor on the make table (along with a fan motor in the walk-in cooler - it only took him 3 trips to show up with the right fan motor this time, over about two weeks - good thing the other fan didn't crap out in that time frame). He swears he has no idea why the compressors keep making GBS threads out, and my boss gets pissed that I refuse to step inside after he's sliced open a line with a torch. Thank gently caress my last day there is in a little over a week.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Hey guys, remember me?

I was wondering where you'd hosed off to. Welcome back :cheers:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

The Locator posted:

Googled this. I am now officially jealous.

You should note I'm not the owner, just a very lucky crew member, with the blessing of the skipper to do what is necessary to make the boat go fast and win. You could call me the crew boss/first mate.

That's not even the craziest thing going on around here right now. My buddy does the same thing on a [redacted for legal reasons]
Yes. It is straight carbon loving fiber and it is insane. The owner tried to order it with a carbon fiber rig and couldn't find anyone to insure it because it'd be that insane. So its only aluminum, but considering the abuse we've put it through, that's probably a good thing.

I was on this ride and it was crazy. I'm not legally allowed to say what happened but...things broke that day. We're lucky the boat and everyone on board survived.

Start @4:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlsK3xh7Hw

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

Hey guys, remember me?

I was wondering what happened to the Tome of Antiquities. Sorry to hear about the Japanese penalty box. Glad things worked out with that one gal, you guys seemed perfect together.

• Locked thread