Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
E2M2 won by one vote, once again.

Now we know what was in all these crates -- votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

Welp, we made it to Mishima's cyberpunk-dojo-and-cyber-ape emporium, and got to meet Shrek and Goro's horrific lovechild:

But before we could ask for autographs we were beset by Mishima's fiercest warriors, college football players wielding explosive knives:

Then I think we jumped out a window and swam to the bottom of the ocean (we were in the top floor of a dojo one level then in cyberpunk-rapture without warning) to audition for the next season of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge:

Oh and Mishima showed up, and we spent a good 10 minutes running around a submarine hanger with an old man dressed like Lo Pan as he constantly stopped to rub his katana in an erotic manner to summon spooky ghosts:

And then the game ended...I think. Daikatana ended with Hiro and his pals beating an old man to death on top of a submarine and subsequently becoming trapped at the bottom of the ocean, right?

How long did the switch hunt in E4M5 take you?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've been inspired to replay Unreal. I remember that UT99 had higher-quality versions of some of the textures. Do I just install the HQ textures off UT99 disc 2 and copy over the texture files from UT to Unreal with the same file name? Also, is there a go-to modern renderer for UT99? There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to Unreal 227.

Does the CD version of AvP Gold not work on modern Windows? The Steam page for AvP Classic seems to imply as much.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

david_a posted:

I've been inspired to replay Unreal. I remember that UT99 had higher-quality versions of some of the textures. Do I just install the HQ textures off UT99 disc 2 and copy over the texture files from UT to Unreal with the same file name? Also, is there a go-to modern renderer for UT99? There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to Unreal 227.

Does the CD version of AvP Gold not work on modern Windows? The Steam page for AvP Classic seems to imply as much.

For Unreal 1, download the textures over at http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Downloads/Textures/HighEnd/HighEnd.htm

For UT99, Chris Dohnal's OpenGL renderer at http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ or the DirectX 10 renderer at http://www.kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/ work great .

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've seen that site, but aren't they fan-made? I don't think I've ever seen stock texture replacements that I've liked.

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008
Latest version of Guncaster is out. It makes those tedious Hexen maps a bit more bearable. You can also use it to play Heretic and Doom stuff, if you're so inclined.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37066&sid=1a715bef3776a22651ce88f15e96c643&start=345#p826744

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Svecke posted:

Latest version of Guncaster is out. It makes those tedious Hexen maps a bit more bearable. You can also use it to play Heretic and Doom stuff, if you're so inclined.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37066&sid=1a715bef3776a22651ce88f15e96c643&start=345#p826744

This looks pretty loving sweet. Confirm/Deny?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

I think that's part of the latest "map jam", this time dedicated to this arena/waves mod: http://www.wantonhubris.com/qonquer/Qonquer.html

So there's probably not going to be any traditional explore-y maps in this pack, but... nice for a change of pace. First time I'd heard about that mod.

And it's released: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61200&start=1

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:eyepop: Oh drat that's pretty.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Okay, how do I run this? I've downloaded and unzipped the mappack, created darkplaces shortcut with heapsize 65536 -game jam5 parameter, and the thing doesn't work, only this message pops up:

Ideas?

[edit] Okay, got this. I've found this little launcher: http://runtimelegend.com/rep/miniql/index using this finally made everything work.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 10, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Good to see they made more than 2 maps this time.

laserghost posted:

Okay, how do I run this? I've downloaded and unzipped the mappack, created darkplaces shortcut with heapsize 65536 -game jam5 parameter, and the thing doesn't work, only this message pops up:

Ideas?

[edit] Okay, got this. I've found this little launcher: http://runtimelegend.com/rep/miniql/index using this finally made everything work.
I was gonna suggest just using the Quake Injector, but it doesn't seem Map Jam 5 is live yet. I mean, it will be sooner or later, but yeah.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I tried the Quake Injector a few months ago and it didn't work at all. The forums said it was busted because they switched servers or something, is there some trick to make it start working?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

laserghost posted:

I know it's working for you now, but FWIW/FYI: this error can happen when you're trying to run a mod that includes a startup demo, and the demo is using a network protocol that your Quake engine is unfamiliar with.

Protocol 666 is the Fitzquake protocol, so my guess would be that the map pack includes a startup demo (demo1.dem) recorded with Fitzquake/QuakeSpasm. DarkPlaces doesn't support that.

If you use a command-line argument to jump directly into a map and avoid the startup demo, then you'll avoid that problem. Probably that's why it's working for you with that launcher program.

I don't think the pack was tested with DarkPlaces, so that's something to keep in mind. Great if it works for you, but you might want to keep QuakeSpasm available on standby. :-)

Elliotw2 posted:

I tried the Quake Injector a few months ago and it didn't work at all. The forums said it was busted because they switched servers or something, is there some trick to make it start working?

No trick. It worked the last time I tried it. If there was some transient issue then I assume they took care of it.

e: I can give it a whirl later this weekend to make sure.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 11, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just tried it now, and it works same as it ever has. Even has func_mapjam5 available now (yay).

Be sure you're using quakeinjector.jar, of the three .jar files included. Also make sure Java's up-to-date, I guess.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Johnny Law posted:

I think that's part of the latest "map jam", this time dedicated to this arena/waves mod: http://www.wantonhubris.com/qonquer/Qonquer.html

So there's probably not going to be any traditional explore-y maps in this pack, but... nice for a change of pace. First time I'd heard about that mod.

Hey, this is like UT's Invasion mode but with Quake! :fap:

Thanks for the find :)

While we're on the subject, anyone else have some great Quake mods to share?

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 11, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Anyone else using Quake Injector having issues with func_mapjam5? It hangs at 0%.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Johnny Law posted:

I don't think the pack was tested with DarkPlaces, so that's something to keep in mind. Great if it works for you, but you might want to keep QuakeSpasm available on standby. :-)

Thanks for the explanation, kinda figures there was something missing from the commandline. And definitely gonna dump darkplaces (even if the maps seem to work properly) and go for quakespasm, I'm currently rebuilding my old FPS folder with all the launchers and things. Thanks again.

Oh, and the maps themselves are really good, some are giving kind of Kiss: Psycho Circus/Painkiller feel, with their mix of abstract gothic/industrial styles. But that seems to be the best description of Quake, I think.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I had issues in Darkplaces, but Quakespasm works fine.

edit: Because I actually like linear filtering better on Quake.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 11, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Why are you not using gl_nearest?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am considering switching from Darkplaces. I like it, but I dunno, something just keeps nagging at me to try something else. What are your suggestions? It would, of course, need to be able to play just about any map.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

I am considering switching from Darkplaces. I like it, but I dunno, something just keeps nagging at me to try something else. What are your suggestions? It would, of course, need to be able to play just about any map.

I'm a fan of QuakeSpasm.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Fitzquake Mark V does everything I want it to do.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

But does it use racial slurs and tell you to kill yourself? :downsrim:

Oh wait that would be Mark IV. :saddowns:

EDIT: scroton_ you are one retarded motherfucker if you bought me this title, eat poo poo and die like we all told you to, thanks.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 12, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I'm a fan of QuakeSpasm.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Fitzquake Mark V does everything I want it to do.

What are the pros and cons of each? How do they compare to each other?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
They're both based on the now-defunct Fitzquake. Now that I think about they're both very similar, and QuakeSpasm seems to be better supported.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

What are the pros and cons of each? How do they compare to each other?

They're the same thing but one's updated slightly more. They're both basically just GL Quake without the limits, and the option to change the resolution.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Oh I remember! Fitzquake Mark IV supports the original Quake demos and that's why I preferred it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I wish leileilol would work more on Engoo, that's an awesome port.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, I decided to try Quakespasm. I'm trying to figure out how to create and autoexec file so my stuff automatically applies to Quake Injector maps, and I've somehow gotten rid of my crosshair. How do I get it back? There doesn't seem to be an option in the menus or anything.

Edit: drat it, also apparently non-opaque water is gone too. gently caress.

Edit 2: Never mind, got them both back. Now to get an autoexec file going.

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 12, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Quakespasm expects you to use a config file or the console a whole hell of a lot more than Darkplaces does. The "in universe" site doesn't help much with finding help either, so just dig through the Fitzquake list of commands/variables to set it up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Quakespasm expects you to use a config file or the console a whole hell of a lot more than Darkplaces does. The "in universe" site doesn't help much with finding help either, so just dig through the Fitzquake list of commands/variables to set it up.

Yeah, I did that to get back the crosshair and stuff. Now I seem to have an autoexec file almost set up, save for screen resolution. Maybe I don't need one? I assume there's some people here who use the Quake Injector with Quakespasm, how do you have it working?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I just used my darkplaces one, since they all use the same basic format. I had to add a new line for the resolution to carry over though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, I forget how sector effectors work in Build (specifically for DN3D), but could you set it up so that you jump into water, go underneath, and when you surfaced, you were somewhere else entirely? Did they have to be linked together, or was it always a simple one-way warp each time?

Edit: Goddamn, I have to give my younger self some credit; I figured out how to use Build when I was like... 15, with no tutorials whatsoever. Swinging doors!! :argh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
We should also make fun of Duke for that, even if it was the engines fault.

Doomguy? Doesn't get crushed by doors. Fuckin' scrub Nukem. :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, I forget how sector effectors work in Build (specifically for DN3D), but could you set it up so that you jump into water, go underneath, and when you surfaced, you were somewhere else entirely? Did they have to be linked together, or was it always a simple one-way warp each time?

Edit: Goddamn, I have to give my younger self some credit; I figured out how to use Build when I was like... 15, with no tutorials whatsoever. Swinging doors!! :argh:
Don't hold me to this, but I think they were linked together. I know it got pretty buggy if the water surface wasn't the exact same size and shape in both the above and below water sectors... There's probably some weird hacky way to have a one way teleporter just above a water surface or something like that, but that'd be Jblade's department.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a good Mac source port for Doom? I don't need crazy mod support or anything, just something to jam out the base campaign on coop at work.

Guncaster looks fuckin dope tho

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Give me a minute, I'll try and see if I can do this myself and get back to you.

EDIT: Ok, you can do this pretty easily. I'm gonna assume you know how to set up water, but let me know if you need a step by step tutorial.

Rig up your initial water sector, but make the sector effector in the underwater section have a lotag of 23 - this will make it a one way trip. Then create your new above water sector that you want the player to surface into, and place a different sector effector pair in that water and your existing one, and give both a lotag of 7 (and a matching hitag) If you've done this right, you will submerge from your initial starting area but then when you re-emerge you'll pop out in the second area.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 12, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, thanks JBlade! I have to admit, I'm not working on a level, I haven't in years, I was just genuinely curious.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Wow, thanks JBlade! I have to admit, I'm not working on a level, I haven't in years, I was just genuinely curious.
Ah well fair enough, the more you know the less you don't know :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

UIApplication posted:

Is there a good Mac source port for Doom? I don't need crazy mod support or anything, just something to jam out the base campaign on coop at work.

Guncaster looks fuckin dope tho

Just about all of the major source ports have a Mac version up and running. The primary exception is GZDoom, but even that has an unofficial Mac fork. As far as playing coop at work, you can probably just grab Zandronum or Chocolate Doom (with Doomseeker) and get stuff going without much fuss.