Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

moana posted:

Seattle is a bunch of new money tech people, they get paid mad bank and want to impress all their friends and have no idea what to do with money but spend it all.
WTF is the deal with rent over there? I've got someone going over there as part of a scholarship and shes asking for 30k for 12 months for a furnished apartment. I knew Seattle was expensive but daaaaamnnn.

P.S Im from Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

WTF is the deal with rent over there? I've got someone going over there as part of a scholarship and shes asking for 30k for 12 months for a furnished apartment. I knew Seattle was expensive but daaaaamnnn.

P.S Im from Australia.

You're from Australia and you're surprised a fully furnished apartment is $590/week? That would be a loving steal for an unfurnished apartment in Sydney.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Suspicious Lump posted:

P.S Im from Australia.

When you rent a furnished apartment, think of it as paying rent-to-own prices on everything inside

e: Except you never own it

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Suspicious Lump posted:

P.S Im from Australia.

That's pretty much it.

Seattle is a desirable city with a lot of high-paying tech jobs in the area thanks to Microsoft, Amazon, and friends. Because of the local geography, a transportation system that was designed for a much smaller population, and anti-sprawl urban planning, the supply of housing near major employers is constrained, commuting is difficult, and prices in desirable neighborhoods like Capitol Hill have skyrocketed. Developers are building new housing, but they're focusing on expensive luxury apartments so they can make more money, which keeps the prices high.

With all that said, ~$1,875 USD/month is pretty high, even for Seattle (assuming it's expected to cover just rent, and not all living expenses). If this is coordinated through a school, there's a good chance they can help you find lower-cost housing. If it's not, it might be time for the student to adjust their expectations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

:smith: God, reading this one makes me so sad. It's one thing to blow more money than you had to on dumb interest payments, impulse toys you don't even really want, and chalk it up as an expensive lesson but you'll get over it eventually and live an average to okay life. But this poor woman, 66 years old, has lost her entire retirement and her house she's owned outright for decades.

Even though my grandma doesn't have a computer and doesn't answer the phone from numbers she doesn't recognize, I feel like I should still give her a call and have a chat about these just in case.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Zo posted:

blindly trusting the clickbait shitrag that is the NYT is bad with money

Yeah man, that's why I get all of my news from the Daily Show and blogs that THEY don't want you to know about!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Space Gopher posted:

Seattle is a desirable city with a lot of high-paying tech jobs in the area thanks to Microsoft, Amazon, and friends. Because of the local geography, a transportation system that was designed for a much smaller population, and anti-sprawl urban planning, the supply of housing near major employers is constrained, commuting is difficult, and prices in desirable neighborhoods like Capitol Hill have skyrocketed. Developers are building new housing, but they're focusing on expensive luxury apartments so they can make more money, which keeps the prices high.

Yeah, Seattle is so "anti-sprawl" that only 85% of the city is zoned for single family use, rather than 90% like most other cities :rolleyes:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Suspicious Lump posted:

P.S Im from Australia.

I depends on where in seattle you're looking. A "funished apartment" downtown or in u district int he right spot will end up costing you that kind of money. Tell her to find a place in Freemont/Ballard/Wallingford and you get to live in the cool cheaper spots.

Also rent a room jeezey Petes. The dorm studios were only 600 bucks a month when I was going there and that was too much so I just rented. If you do enough research you can find a good place on CL easily.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Furnished apartment" is code for "only price-insensitive tenants need apply", the world over.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

pig slut lisa posted:

Yeah, Seattle is so "anti-sprawl" that only 85% of the city is zoned for single family use, rather than 90% like most other cities :rolleyes:

It's 54%, but that's not even all that important. When it comes to sprawl, the city itself doesn't matter; it's King County and the urban growth boundary that make the difference.

In most urban sprawl situations, the biggest offenders aren't in the city core itself - they're the bedroom communities outside the city, where people build McMansions on cheap land. Dallas-Fort Worth is a perfect example; they have cheap land on the edges of the metroplex, almost no restrictions on growth, and big fat Texas highways, so development moves to the edges, the edges move out, and the process repeats itself.

King County has established fairly strict limits on development in rural areas, and that's made a major difference in both sprawl and housing supply. If the rules were looser, you can bet that North Bend and Snoqualmie would be jammed full of developments like that mega-"community" they keep trying to build out in Bonney Lake.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

drat Bananas posted:

Even though my grandma doesn't have a computer and doesn't answer the phone from numbers she doesn't recognize, I feel like I should still give her a call and have a chat about these just in case.

My grandma almost got caught by something similar a couple years ago. What they decided was to put my dad on her bank account too and then have the bank call him to confirm, if she tries to withdraw more than a couple hundred bucks at once. It seems to have worked.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Craptacular posted:

My grandma almost got caught by something similar a couple years ago. What they decided was to put my dad on her bank account too and then have the bank call him to confirm, if she tries to withdraw more than a couple hundred bucks at once. It seems to have worked.

Isn't that a bad idea because if your dad goes bankrupt or has creditors going after him, granny's life savings is considered an account that he owns?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

canyoneer posted:

Isn't that a bad idea because if your dad goes bankrupt or has creditors going after him, granny's life savings is considered an account that he owns?

I believe the point is that the risk of that is much, much lower than grandma getting suckered in by some malicious party. Also I would bet granny would be more than happy to give her life savings up if she thought it would help her son out of serious trouble.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Allen was the first guy that showed me how NBA players spend money in strip clubs. That guy went. HARD. He'd throw so much money, and this was when I was first in the league, that I used to take my foot and scoop the s--t under my chair and either re-throw it or put some in my pocket. He'd throw $30,000, $40,000 every time we went. I'm like, "You realize what I can do with this money?"
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2426481-matt-barnes-says-allen-iverson-routinely-dropped-40k-at-strip-clubs

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

"Athletes? I don't hang out with athletes. I used to, and I stopped. Why? Because athletes don't respect money."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhM1dGyUca4

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Going out once per game, not including playoffs, that's over 3 million in a year.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Going out once per game, not including playoffs, that's over 3 million in a year.

Clubbing after an away game against the Jazz is probably pretty cheap and good with money.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

He stayed in his lane, balled within his means. Barnes knows thrown cash is just as green as yet-to-be thrown cash, so why not stretch those funds a bit?

He balled within his means. Something SlowMo will never do.

Haifisch posted:

Considering that a lot of them are probably more invested in the ~dream~(technological revolution! currency of the future! down with fiat! untraceable and secure! be your own bank!) than anything, and the rest are greedy idiots, this really shouldn't surprise you. :v:

Part of doing this is to see if there was anyone in the subreddit actually knew something about investing. Nope, there's not a single sane or competent person left in there.

I did get one angry redditor who responded to me pointing out that bitcoins are worth less. I responded to his message that if he was so sensitive to the price of bitcoin then he should diversify. He responded saying his investment is bitcoin was doing well. That's kind of hilarious because that's not possible.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2015

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Man, I hope I'm not too late for horse equuity chat.

I had at least a couple rich horse girls in my class in grade school. I rode horses too because my family has land in the country where we keep a herd of reject Standardbreds that you can pick up from the racetrack for a song and a dance, but I was never a "horse person" - I never did shows or competitions or anything. I took some English riding lessons, but my grade-school self couldn't get over the idiotic prissy outfits, so I stopped and stuck with Western where it was okay to wear jeans. Also never obsessed about horses, and wouldn't have been too upset if we stopped having horses. In talking to this other horse-riding girl in my class, I quickly discovered that we were speaking entirely different languages and I couldn't compute because :wtf:

Her horse and setup? A $100,000 (maybe less, but 100k sticks in my head for some reason) Thoroughbred hunter jumper that was a neurotic shithead and would spook at the drop of a hat (probably literally). Boarding it cost at least $500/mo, not including feed and vet bills and the farrier, and then she had expensive lessons and all the brand new gear and fancy leg wraps or whatever you put on your precious fragile six-figure beast. And special vitamins and hoof polish and whatever other stupid poo poo horse girls waste their parents' money on.

Then I heard about how she (or maybe a different rider, don't remember) was on a jumping course, horse spooked or took a bad step or something coming up to a jump, careened over into the jump, threw the rider (she was fine), and landed on and fractured its back. I thought that was the end of the horse (would've been the end to my horse, for sure), so my first reaction was "sorry for your loss." But no, horse's back wasn't completely broken, so it went into some sort of intensive rehabilitation and surgery and took forever to recover and couldn't really compete at the same level and had lingering back issues, so it was definitely not worth its original price tag anymore, especially after all the vet costs, which were no doubt absurd. All that horse equuity down the drain. Just, holy crap.

I get having horses - they can be wonderful creatures (when they're not spooking at a rock or tripping over themselves/breaking their legs) and you can get good horses for cheap if you know where to look and are willing to work with them a bit. So if you can afford to board and maintain it/have land, that's great. I've just never understood paying 5+ figures out the rear end for some fancily-bred horse for your 13-year-old just so she can make it jump over things when you can literally teach a cow to do the exact same poo poo:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Chinese retail stock investors: investing like it's 1929. Right down to getting hot tips from people on the sidewalk outside the exchange.

quote:

Gan Li, who teaches economics at Texas A&M University, says people's perceptions — and not fundamentals — are driving the Shanghai market, and several factors are pushing up valuations.
"We find that new investors, compared with old investors, are much less educated," says Gan, who also conducts a financial survey of households across China. "New entrants for the last half year are middle-school-educated people."

The overall stock market in Shanghai is still well below record levels set before the global financial crisis. If stocks continue to make big gains, Gan says, a serious bubble could form, leaving ordinary investors, like the ones on the streets of Shanghai, vulnerable to sudden price drops.
Retail investors buy and sell stocks using their own accounts and make up a whopping 80 percent of the trading on the Shanghai exchange, which is notorious for insider trading.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

ooh baby

Look at the Hang Seng

Do they have shoeshine boys in China?

5.8% of new investors are literally illiterate. :stare: These people have no idea what they are doing and will be so screwed when the market crashes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Getting your kid a cow is good with money. Cow equity is a solid investment, just don't trade it for magic beans.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Chinese retail stock investors: investing like it's 1929. Right down to getting hot tips from people on the sidewalk outside the exchange.

5.8% of new investors are literally illiterate. :stare: These people have no idea what they are doing and will be so screwed when the market crashes.

yup. That's a classic bubble. What happens outside of China when it pops?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Authentic You posted:

Man, I hope I'm not too late for horse equuity chat.

I had at least a couple rich horse girls in my class in grade school. I rode horses too because my family has land in the country where we keep a herd of reject Standardbreds that you can pick up from the racetrack for a song and a dance, but I was never a "horse person" - I never did shows or competitions or anything. I took some English riding lessons, but my grade-school self couldn't get over the idiotic prissy outfits, so I stopped and stuck with Western where it was okay to wear jeans. Also never obsessed about horses, and wouldn't have been too upset if we stopped having horses. In talking to this other horse-riding girl in my class, I quickly discovered that we were speaking entirely different languages and I couldn't compute because :wtf:

Her horse and setup? A $100,000 (maybe less, but 100k sticks in my head for some reason) Thoroughbred hunter jumper that was a neurotic shithead and would spook at the drop of a hat (probably literally). Boarding it cost at least $500/mo, not including feed and vet bills and the farrier, and then she had expensive lessons and all the brand new gear and fancy leg wraps or whatever you put on your precious fragile six-figure beast. And special vitamins and hoof polish and whatever other stupid poo poo horse girls waste their parents' money on.

Then I heard about how she (or maybe a different rider, don't remember) was on a jumping course, horse spooked or took a bad step or something coming up to a jump, careened over into the jump, threw the rider (she was fine), and landed on and fractured its back. I thought that was the end of the horse (would've been the end to my horse, for sure), so my first reaction was "sorry for your loss." But no, horse's back wasn't completely broken, so it went into some sort of intensive rehabilitation and surgery and took forever to recover and couldn't really compete at the same level and had lingering back issues, so it was definitely not worth its original price tag anymore, especially after all the vet costs, which were no doubt absurd. All that horse equuity down the drain. Just, holy crap.

I get having horses - they can be wonderful creatures (when they're not spooking at a rock or tripping over themselves/breaking their legs) and you can get good horses for cheap if you know where to look and are willing to work with them a bit. So if you can afford to board and maintain it/have land, that's great. I've just never understood paying 5+ figures out the rear end for some fancily-bred horse for your 13-year-old just so she can make it jump over things when you can literally teach a cow to do the exact same poo poo:

Can you brush a cow's pretty, pretty mane while gazing into its giant brown eyes and telling it all your secrets like how you totes have a crush on Jimmy from fourth period algebra no you can not :colbert:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

Nah, they're investing like it's 1925. Savings rates of 30-50% are common with some being more extreme with 80% savings. There's a lot of money people can pour in as the economy is relatively strong relative to western growth rates. However that article has every single sign of a 1929 and 1987 type bubble getting underway. Add a lot of people with no understanding of the stock market buying shares with increasingly larger borrowing to invest and you have a lot of trouble.

The wealthy people in China invest little or nothing inside the country other than for their own businesses.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Can you brush a cow's pretty, pretty mane while gazing into its giant brown eyes and telling it all your secrets like how you totes have a crush on Jimmy from fourth period algebra no you can not :colbert:

Sure you can.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Ox-eyed was a trait of beauty 2000 years ago when good with money meant good with cattle. A cow may not scare like a horse but it will crush your foot, pin you against the side of the stall, and then decide it is done moving for the day. Still though, if you can handle the beasts, bovine equity ain't a bad thing to have.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Rudager posted:

You're from Australia and you're surprised a fully furnished apartment is $590/week? That would be a loving steal for an unfurnished apartment in Sydney.

A friend of mine pays ~500/wk for a small 1br in a brand new luxury building in downtown sydney. dunno if 2360 would be a steal...

Space Gopher posted:

With all that said, ~$1,875 USD/month is pretty high, even for Seattle

?? A 2br in a 2-3 unit home in somerville ma is $1800-$2000. I pay $1775 for an unfurnished 1.5 bedroom in Boston. This rent seems pretty normal to me for desirable locations heavy on tech. I don't understand the confusion over that price.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Authentic You posted:

I've just never understood paying 5+ figures out the rear end for some fancily-bred horse for your 13-year-old just so she can make it jump over things when you can literally teach a cow to do the exact same poo poo:

This is a fantastic picture. There is nothing not awesome about it.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

xie posted:

A friend of mine pays ~500/wk for a small 1br in a brand new luxury building in downtown sydney. dunno if 2360 would be a steal...

?? A 2br in a 2-3 unit home in somerville ma is $1800-$2000. I pay $1775 for an unfurnished 1.5 bedroom in Boston. This rent seems pretty normal to me for desirable locations heavy on tech. I don't understand the confusion over that price.

Cue Jastiger to come in and post about rural Iowa or wherever

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I just spent the last week in Midland, TX, which is basically ground zero for the oil boom in West Texas. So, so much truck equity. The lowest unemployment in the nation and high earning 20 year-olds trying to buy a bigger truck than the last guy as far as the eye can see. It's an interesting place to say the least.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Barry posted:

I just spent the last week in Midland, TX, which is basically ground zero for the oil boom in West Texas. So, so much truck equity. The lowest unemployment in the nation and high earning 20 year-olds trying to buy a bigger truck than the last guy as far as the eye can see. It's an interesting place to say the least.

I've been to Midland a couple of times and what always struck me was how there is very little in the way of a "business" district. It seems like the entire place is nothing but neighborhoods made of McMansions.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The way the oil boom goes in TX makes me think of the stories of 1849 and the Gold Rush in CA. I wonder if TX is going to be rife with ghost towns when the oil dries up.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Taco Box posted:

The way the oil boom goes in TX makes me think of the stories of 1849 and the Gold Rush in CA. I wonder if TX is going to be rife with ghost towns when the oil dries up.

I thought people all commuted for 7 or 14 to trailers at these rigs in west bumfuck Texas and North Dakota; I didn't realize anyone actually lived near them

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Taco Box posted:

"Dallas" was on the air in 1978. Texas has been drilling oil for decades and decades. It's not quite the same as the gold rush.

Devian666 posted:

I posted a thread in /r/bitcoin to ask how they manage their investments. Only got one good bad with money reply.

He has a great savings rate of 20%. He puts it all into bitcoin though. He says don't time the market but bitcoin is on the long slide down to $0. Of course he's in college so he's probably borrowing the money.

He thinks investing is the same thing as gambling, so he cuts the poo poo(in his mind) and only invests with Bitcoin. It's a pretty common mindset, actually. The 2008/2009 crash really really hosed up a lot of people's views on investing in the market.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

ChipNDip posted:

He thinks investing is the same thing as gambling, so he cuts the poo poo(in his mind) and only invests with Bitcoin.

Fair enough, but with that mindset I'd say even gold makes more sense.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Folly posted:

yup. That's a classic bubble. What happens outside of China when it pops?

Cheap Chinese stock takes over American investor money. Stop shipping our stock brokers over seas!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

jon joe posted:

Cheap Chinese stock takes over American investor money. Stop shipping our stock brokers over seas!

We have a glut of capital that no one wants to spend. Sending it elsewhere is fine because it sure is doing nothing here.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

We have a glut of capital that no one wants to spend. Sending it elsewhere is fine because it sure is doing nothing here.

Hmmm, yeah, the capitalist system falls apart when the wealthiest horde their wealth instead of continuing investment like they're meant to do.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

jon joe posted:

Hmmm, yeah, the capitalist system falls apart when the wealthiest horde their wealth instead of continuing investment like they're meant to do.

But if they have all that wealth it'll trickle down to the poors!

Are you sure you aren't just being too impatient to notice it trickling???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Cue Jastiger to come in and post about rural Iowa or wherever

Its not rural Iowa.

Rents in Des Moines and other midwestern cities are way more reasonable than that bullshit you quoted. There are lots of places where you can do tech jobs that don't require you to live in a shoebox for $2k a month. Its all about inflation and ~urban charm~ that jack up and gentrify these places.

• Locked thread