Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Boyd and Raylan know the land and ways out of it due to being born and raised there.

And the only reason Boyd knowing about the place is even a factor is because the guy that was supposed to get them out had dropped dead, so can't really blame Ava for going there.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

And Raylan knew because Boyd's henchman told him that Boyd had mentioned Grubs as an exit plan, so Raylan went to the hill people to learn where exactly Grubs could be found.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Fetus Tree posted:

I wonder how much that actor practices his gun play thing

Has he done it other than in a closeup? Because they could just be using someone actually skilled at it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Pretty sure they have tbh

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

Wynne having the foresight to smuggle Catherine's expensive jewelry after her killing Mikey/dying was by far my favorite part of the episode.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Vilkata posted:

Wynne having the foresight to smuggle Catherine's expensive jewelry after her killing Mikey/dying was by far my favorite part of the episode.

And something that went over my head until now!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Vilkata posted:

How did he have time to hide a necklace inside a ziplock, inside a tube of toothpaste? That's a great idea.

I was also hoping Constable Bob had a role to play in taking down the Goonslinger, because I just don't buy him as this badass killer, he's all hat no cattle :ocelot: And that Boyd and Raylan would split the money and disappear. Maybe Tim will take over as the gunfighter lawman in Harlan. We are posting our Finale Dreams, right?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I reckon Boone will kill Raylan.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hey, is Raylan wearing his badge during that standoff with the Goonslinger in the preview?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey, is Raylan wearing his badge during that standoff with the Goonslinger in the preview?

Yes

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Interesting.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So how will they defy expectations when it comes to that oh-so-obvious no-bullet-in-checkhov's-gun?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Why do I get the feeling that Boone's little speech on always going for the headshot will be his downfall in the duel similar to icepick guy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Art is gonna lay the smack down on Vasquez.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SublimeDelusions posted:

Why do I get the feeling that Boone's little speech on always going for the headshot will be his downfall in the duel similar to icepick guy?

The bullet is going to hit Raylan's hat, but only graze his head, and he will win out, with the destruction of his hat signifying the end of his career as a marshal.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

joepinetree posted:

The bullet is going to hit Raylan's hat, but only graze his head, and he will win out, with the destruction of his hat signifying the end of his career as a marshal.

Boone was aiming for the head and hit the kid in the shoulder. I think he has the potential to completely miss Raylan at a longer distance.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raylan is wearing kevlar :clint:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Raylan and Boon have a tense stand off, but ultimately end up not going through with their duel.

AV Club gives the episode an F.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but FX is doing a contest where the prize is watching the series finale with Walton and Timothy. And you support some charity or other.

They've got some hilarious videos on Facebook of them poo poo talking each other, with Ava (can't remember the actress' name) stepping in because the boys can't behave.

Just two of the things I learned from these videos: Walton has a little dog, a shitzu, and Timothy is terrified of guns and cries a little every time he has to fire one on the show.

A link to the FB page for the lazy ones in this thread

richardfun fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 9, 2015

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That video is a lot of fun but I don't know that it's a reliable source of cast trivia!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Oh god that would be the best thing ever. Especially if bourbon was involved.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

richardfun posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but FX is doing a contest where the prize is watching the series finale with Walton and Timothy. And you support some charity or other.

They've got some hilarious videos on Facebook of them poo poo talking each other, with Ava (can't remember the actress' name) stepping in because the boys can't behave.

Just two of the things I learned from these videos: Walton has a little dog, a shitzu, and Timothy is terrified of guns and cries a little every time he has to fire one on the show.

A link to the FB page for the lazy ones in this thread

That is quite the contrast to the earlier contest where you could win a chance to go shooting with Oliphant.
:iiam:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

joepinetree posted:

Then he takes Boone's hat off his head.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Boyd and Raylan know the land and ways out of it due to being born and raised there.

And the only reason Boyd knowing about the place is even a factor is because the guy that was supposed to get them out had dropped dead, so can't really blame Ava for going there.

One of my favorite things is people constantly bringing up knowing terrain as this invaluable thing. I think it's come up more in this season than any other between Loretta, Boyd, and Zachariah with the mines. How many times have we seen the new rich Big Bad try to move into town and get lectured about not knowing the land and/or people?

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 9, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

NowonSA posted:

One of my favorite things is people constantly bringing up knowing terrain as this invaluable thing. I think it's come up more in this season than any other between Loretta, Boyd, and Zachariah with the mines. How many times have we seen the new rich Big Bad try to move into town and get lectured about not knowing the land and/or people?
Well both are pretty big deals to the people that live in a small insular place like Harlan. Knowing the terrain is important because it is hard to get around the hills and hollows without knowing all the back roads and trails, plus what land is good for farming. Knowing the people, or rather being known by the people, is important because in a small town like that, everyone knows everyone's family, and they have ties going back generations.

It is hard to understand how different Appalachia is from the rest of the country if you have not been there. The show does a pretty good job reflecting that, although the California terrain is nothing like Kentucky, and they obviously take things to extremes for dramatic effect.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I like how Ava's escape plan involved going over the ONE bridge in Harlan County where Boyd and Raylan always hang out.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Irish Joe posted:

I like how Ava's escape plan involved going over the ONE bridge in Harlan County where Boyd and Raylan always hang out.

Yeah, the exact moment Markhams 2 paid LEOs happened to be there.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

During the Raylan / Boyd tense poo poo talking scene in the dark, you could clearly see where they both were, and like 30 feet apart at some point, but Raylan who never misses a shot was just firing randomly

I assume they made it that way for tv audiences ?

The abundance of light I mean

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 10, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

grrarg posted:

Well both are pretty big deals to the people that live in a small insular place like Harlan. Knowing the terrain is important because it is hard to get around the hills and hollows without knowing all the back roads and trails, plus what land is good for farming. Knowing the people, or rather being known by the people, is important because in a small town like that, everyone knows everyone's family, and they have ties going back generations.

It is hard to understand how different Appalachia is from the rest of the country if you have not been there. The show does a pretty good job reflecting that, although the California terrain is nothing like Kentucky, and they obviously take things to extremes for dramatic effect.

Yeah, I don't find it unrealistic or anything, I just think it's nice that it's reinforced as a big deal when that's rarely the case in other crime or police shows.

Also, as a resident of Michigan I always got a kick out of the Detroit mafia always being obsessed with a small town in Kentucky for ~reasons~.

Irish Joe posted:

I like how Ava's escape plan involved going over the ONE bridge in Harlan County

I think you can leave it at that, since I can't recall literally any other bridges being seen on Justified. Ever. SO much poo poo has gone down on that bridge too. It starts with Boyd killing an innocent man with true hate in his heart, and just goes downhill from there.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

NowonSA posted:

Also, as a resident of Michigan I always got a kick out of the Detroit mafia always being obsessed with a small town in Kentucky for ~reasons~.
Detroit has strong ties to the south from hillbillies moving north for work in the factories during its heyday then back to Kentucky or Tennessee to retire. The Dixie Mafia being an offshoot of the Detroit mob makes more sense than the Italian mob families from New York/New Jersey.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Can anyone (Beeb, I guess) who actually lives in the backwoods tell me if hill people are a real thing?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Yes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sappo569 posted:

During the Raylan / Boyd tense poo poo talking scene in the dark, you could clearly see where they both were, and like 30 feet apart at some point, but Raylan who never misses a shot was just firing randomly

I assume they made it that way for tv audiences ?

The abundance of light I mean

That's just one of those suspensions of disbelief you have to make, since having it be realistically dark would make for poor television

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fog Tripper posted:

Yeah, the exact moment Markhams 2 paid LEOs happened to be there.

I'm having a bit more of an issue on how Boyd's getting around rough terrain with a pretty serious chest wound so well.

Schiavona posted:

Can anyone (Beeb, I guess) who actually lives in the backwoods tell me if hill people are a real thing?

There are genuine 'hill people' and there are also the 'off-the-gridders' now as well.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 10, 2015

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I mean, honest to God "we'll kill you if we see you near our land" crazy hill people? In that last ep, that wasn't even their land, but there's still a half dozen of them waiting to ambush and kill anyone who wanders past? What is the motivation or belief structure that leads to that?

They have seemed way over the top in the episodes they're in, and I assumed most of it was embellished.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nope, it's really not embellished at all. The motivation is simple: this is my land, you are a stranger*, you might want to kill me so I am going to kill you first.

*stranger being anyone that hasn't lived there for several generations

Tide fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 10, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I mean, honest to God "we'll kill you if we see you near our land" crazy hill people? In that last ep, that wasn't even their land, but there's still a half dozen of them waiting to ambush and kill anyone who wanders past? What is the motivation or belief structure that leads to that?

They have seemed way over the top in the episodes they're in, and I assumed most of it was embellished.

Yes, they exist, and its because they're growing weed.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, they exist, and its because they're growing weed.

Yup. Weed, moonshine, and number of illegal activities. I grew up about an hour and a half from a place called Easom Hills, Georgia. Wander a little to closer to those hills and you ran the risk of getting shot, getting caught in any number of traps, you name it. Some of the very best weed in the world came from there.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

grrarg posted:

Detroit has strong ties to the south from hillbillies moving north for work in the factories during its heyday then back to Kentucky or Tennessee to retire. The Dixie Mafia being an offshoot of the Detroit mob makes more sense than the Italian mob families from New York/New Jersey.

My only hope in life now is to point out a feature of Justified that you can't defend with reasonable real world logic. Maybe the Marshalls wouldn't be as involved in these major cases as they are in the show? Raylan would have been fired or reassigned after such a large number of shooting incidents? I'm grasping at straws here, but Justified is such a crazy rear end show there have to be some things that are just not plausible in reality, right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd say the implausibility comes from all these things happening to like 5 different people and not from the situations themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say the implausibility comes from all these things happening to like 5 different people and not from the situations themselves.

And probably the timeline. How long has it been in-universe? Like a year tops, I think

• Locked thread