Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

I would say the basic bounds for a supermoto are less than 350 pounds, more than 7.5 inches of suspension travel, generous ground clearance to handle jumps, ruts, and other dirtbike style terrain, plus 17s and brakes that wouldn't be out of place on a supersport.

My yz250 ticked all these boxes. Pity it didn't like hot rear end desert temps.

Its okay to build a fat slow supermoto right guys? RIGHT?

gently caress I need more parking space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm new to carbd. FCR is a new carb right? or something? How much am I looking at her $ wise? Full yosh looks like about $600 or so. Yikes. Trying to find one new. Am willing to spend for quality though.

Fcr is a carb, yes. Plan to spend about the same as the tosh pipe to donut right. Assembling it piecemeal on eBay only saves you like $100.

Also sxv's would be great fun if there were any left that ran. What happened to z3ns ninja 650 motor in an sxv project?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fcr is a carb, yes. Plan to spend about the same as the tosh pipe to donut right. Assembling it piecemeal on eBay only saves you like $100.

Also sxv's would be great fun if there were any left that ran. What happened to z3ns ninja 650 motor in an sxv project?

Money :(

If someone wanted to fund the project, I'd gladly do it, but I can't really afford it at the moment. Being a responsible adult means buying a 1290 and trimming the garage way down. At the moment I've got the 1290 and the 999, and I've spent the last 6 months scraping together the cash to get the 999 together and back to 100%. I'm currently focusing on primarily helping other people with their projects until my bank account is at a comfortable place again, which will probably be a year or more.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Money :(

If someone wanted to fund the project, I'd gladly do it, but I can't really afford it at the moment. Being a responsible adult means buying a 1290 and trimming the garage way down. At the moment I've got the 1290 and the 999, and I've spent the last 6 months scraping together the cash to get the 999 together and back to 100%. I'm currently focusing on primarily helping other people with their projects until my bank account is at a comfortable place again, which will probably be a year or more.

Photos, details, craigslist ad? :D

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So a buddies DRZ400SM got stolen last night like, 10 blocks from where mine is currently parked on the street. :ohdear:

I need to go buy a disc lock.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

cursedshitbox posted:

Photos, details, craigslist ad? :D

Are you seriously interested in this? Because I know a guy who's got a plated SXV with a blown engine he'd probably be willing to sell, and crashed Ninja 650s are easy enough to come across...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Are you seriously interested in this? Because I know a guy who's got a plated SXV with a blown engine he'd probably be willing to sell, and crashed Ninja 650s are easy enough to come across...

I like bastards so it'd be right up my alley....

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Akion posted:

So a buddies DRZ400SM got stolen last night like, 10 blocks from where mine is currently parked on the street. :ohdear:

I need to go buy a disc lock.

So I also had a DRZ stolen which was sad and after reading lots of internet and talking to the cops (who were not helpful) and various other folks (who were also not helpful - "It's a DRZ, you never really own it, you're just borrowing it until someone steals it."), here's my advice: get comprehensive insurance, and also, disc lock on the rear wheel, chain it to something if you can and, most importantly, cover it so the lazy/opportunistic thieves just see a covered bike.

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 10, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

builds character posted:

here's my advice: Go add comprehensive insurance

This

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yeah, that's really the best advice.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

So I also had a DRZ stolen which was sad and after reading lots of internet and talking to the cops (who were not helpful) and various other folks (who were also not helpful - "It's a DRZ, you never really own it, you're just borrowing it until someone steals it."), here's my advice: get comprehensive insurance, and also, disc lock on the rear wheel, chain it to something if you can and, most importantly, cover it so the lazy/opportunistic thieves just see a covered bike.

Oh, I've always had and always will carry comprehensive on my bikes.

Still would be annoying to have it get stolen. Planning to go disc lock shopping this weekend as I just moved into my place where I have to street park it. I'm hoping the lady that runs the HOA sells her unit soon, so I can take over it and change the "No motorcycles chained to the walls" rule.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I hope you can. A disc lock is good but doesn't mean too much on a bike a couple guys can easily lift into a truck.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
One of these days I'm going to prototype my silent motorcycle alarm that just electrifies the frame with a cattle fence unit instead of sounding a tone.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ReelBigLizard posted:

One of these days I'm going to prototype my silent motorcycle alarm that just electrifies the frame with a cattle fence unit instead of sounding a tone.

So the first time a stray cat jumps on your bike you'll torch your own electronics?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure the electronics would be fine. The frame is just the earth rail of the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

I like bastards so it'd be right up my alley....

Well, let's do that Bay Area meetup and chat about it. Maybe next Sunday?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ought ten posted:

I hope you can. A disc lock is good but doesn't mean too much on a bike a couple guys can easily lift into a truck.

A motorcycle thief did a very interesting AMA on reddit a while back. One thing he mentioned was that he, and every other thief he knew, would always ride the stolen bike away, and that the bunch-of-guys-and-a-truck was not really a prevalent thing, as far as he was concerned.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ought ten posted:

Yeah, that's why you just cover it up. You're not going to really do anything to stop a committed thief, whether they're tossing it in a truck or riding it away. So you make it a little harder by making them at least peak under the cover first to see if they want to steal it and then to take off your disc lock when they're actually stealing it. And then if it gets stolen at least you've done what you can.

I've also heard good things about this http://shop.trackimo.com/products/trackimo-gps-tracker-1-year-pack-and-12-volt-mini-usb-adapter but it's a (relatively small I guess?) drain on the battery while the bike is off.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

epalm posted:

A motorcycle thief did a very interesting AMA on reddit a while back. One thing he mentioned was that he, and every other thief he knew, would always ride the stolen bike away, and that the bunch-of-guys-and-a-truck was not really a prevalent thing, as far as he was concerned.

Interesting. Makes sense. You have a link to that?

When mine got stolen it had neither a cover, a disc lock, a chain nor comprehensive coverage. It was behind a locked gate but I was dumb enough to not even lock the forks. I just got lucky the kid couldn't start it and ditched it in the alley a block over. Now I have all those things.

VVV Let me not be an rear end in a top hat for you http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 10, 2015

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ought ten posted:

Interesting. Makes sense. You have a link to that?

Yep http://bit.ly/1NlRpTA

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 10, 2015

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
Clicked on the third link down that says "motorcycle thief loses fingers". He sure did.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Well, let's do that Bay Area meetup and chat about it. Maybe next Sunday?

Clean out yo mailbox fucker. 12th or 19th? This weekend its motocamping at knoxville.

DRZ thievery: Chain the loving frame to something bigger than a drz. and comprehensive, always comprehensive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fixed, sorry!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

epalm posted:

My bike got taken by two guys with a Ute or something. Admittedly they were Armed robbers, not professional bike thieves so circumstances vary.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

So the first time a stray cat jumps on your bike you'll torch your own electronics?

It won't do it again :colbert:

I'm going to need to replace the Pilot Powers on my DRZ in a few months. Has anyone tried the new Bridgestone Battlax S-20 Evos?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

Clean out yo mailbox fucker. 12th or 19th? This weekend its motocamping at knoxville.

DRZ thievery: Chain the loving frame to something bigger than a drz. and comprehensive, always comprehensive.

I park it in front of my truck. I've considered running a chain through the frame and around the brushguard on my truck.

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
So had to replace tires the other day, extremely expensive ($500, stralya mate). What do you guys find to be the best SM tires in terms of tire life?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

It won't do it again :colbert:

I'm going to need to replace the Pilot Powers on my DRZ in a few months. Has anyone tried the new Bridgestone Battlax S-20 Evos?

It's hard to get a better DRZ tire for the money than the og pilot powers. They're so cheap these days

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's hard to get a better DRZ tire for the money than the og pilot powers. They're so cheap these days

Yeah, I've liked my pilot powers but it seems that they're not making them in 150/60-17 anymore. Everyone keeps running out and not stocking them. The only place I've found them is JPCycles, but they're probably old and won't have it in stock when I need to buy another rear.

That said, $206 for the pair

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 12, 2015

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a set of newly new Pilot Powers on my DRZ, and I'm gearing up for my first track day in about a month. Are these tires fine for beginners?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I've never done a trackday so feel free to ignore me, but getting mine to break loose on the street is really hard. Like, WOT out of a turn in first/second hard.

e: Except for that time I crashed it. But I think that was just because of lovely body positioning. I was leaning hard at first, but as I slowed down I should have stopped/gotten off the seat and leaned the bike under me. It was less "I ran out of grip" and more "My stupid rear end fell the gently caress over" at that point.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 12, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

epalm posted:

I have a set of newly new Pilot Powers on my DRZ, and I'm gearing up for my first track day in about a month. Are these tires fine for beginners?

Yup.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

Yeah, I've liked my pilot powers but it seems that they're not making them in 150/60-17 anymore. Everyone keeps running out and not stocking them. The only place I've found them is JPCycles, but they're probably old and won't have it in stock when I need to buy another rear.

That said, $206 for the pair

Yeah the 150's are hard to find, which is why you run the 160's. Problem solved.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Has anyone here ridden a klx250sf or crf230m? Highways around Kansas City are pretty boring and I'm thinking one of these might be more fun to ride around town instead of my SV. I'm rarely on the highway more than 10 minutes for commuting either.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I rode a klx250sf around the block. It's really tiny, felt like a toy. I ended up passing and getting the tractor (drz400sm).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

As someone who had a 230 as a kid riding dirt... Don't buy one if you plan on doing any freeway riding. In fact, just don't buy one. KLX's at least have 350cc big bores available cheap so you can get a bit more power but they're not a great option either IMO.

DRZ would do everything you wanna do for cheap as well. I've seen WR250x's going for reasonably cheap, almost equivalent prices to DRZ's in the fall but now that summer is coming that's probably not realistic.

e: You could buy a DRZ400S for super cheap if you don't want the supermoto bits (17in wheels, inverted forks, etc). If you just plan on tooling around they're stout bikes that need basically no maintenance. They're always way cheaper than DRZ-SM's.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yea, i'd go with the DRZ but they're stupid expensive, I was hoping to be close to break even if I sold the SV. What about something like this? http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4966554891.html

There is some dirt riding about an hour away, I've never tried that.

I should probably just look for a cheap DRZ though, huh?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I've never ridden one but I can't recall anyone ever saying anything bad about KLX300's other than they're a bit heavy compared to a true racing oriented MX bike. Would probably make a nice commuter around town that's still very dirt friendly.

Be aware that speedo is aftermarket so 5500 miles is only accurate if they put it on right from the start. Bike looks to be in good shape though. I bet you can get that for much closer to 2000 than 2800.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone got any good links for the FCR39MX? Have a '13 DRZ 400SM.

Also probably thinking of a yosh exhaust. Any good links for that? Which one should I get? I don't want anything too obnoxiously loud.

I love this thing but coming from a 690 I do need a lot more power.

Also I'd like a taller 5th gear for commuting. What all do I need and how do I go about that? I probably won't be doing any of this work FYI. Lastly what are some good affordable beefy handguards that'll fit mine? Willing to pay for quality. Is there like a good site for buying all things DRZ and I'll know for sure that they'll fit mine? I know parts are relatively universal but yeah

I see a lot of talk about the yosh exhausts and MRD

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You're never going to get 690 power, even getting close will make the bike an unreliable poo poo pile for more money than it would cost to sell it and buy a 690. You can't easily get a taller 5th gear, it'll be 2k in parts and labor to get it done by someone else. The 39mm flatslide adds more from sharper throttle response than it does power, and you can buy an absurdly loud exhaust for a grand to get 39.72 hp rather than 38.63.

Those 3 things together will run you about 3.5k plus labor to install the parts and tune the carb and you could have instead sold the DRZ and bought a 690 with a 6th gear, 20 more hp, better suspension, and lighter weight. Oh, and real gauges.

Either accept the DRZ for what it is, a cheerful super moto that doesn't intimidate anyone. When you want more power out of your DRZ the first step is to sell it.

• Locked thread