Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Beefstorm posted:

If you don't mind calling me, I can just do the order for you.

Otherwise yeah, just go into a store.

Thanks for the offer, think I'll probably just go deal with the store workers (><) after the phone actually comes out next week. I don't really need the upgrade, but it's the same price my company pays for my line now so why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Text messages have been super hosed up for days now. It's not just me, but at least 2 other AT&T customers.

As of 9pm on Saturday night, I'm just now getting text sent at 8am this past Thursday. Some of the text I'm getting are screen shots from my friends showing that they were getting my messages on the wrong day or way after I sent them (like, always 24+ hours later).

Is this happening to anyone here?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

Text messages have been super hosed up for days now. It's not just me, but at least 2 other AT&T customers.

As of 9pm on Saturday night, I'm just now getting text sent at 8am this past Thursday. Some of the text I'm getting are screen shots from my friends showing that they were getting my messages on the wrong day or way after I sent them (like, always 24+ hours later).

Honestly not me. But it could absolutely be an area thing.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Xenomorph posted:

Download AT&T Mark the Spot. It tells AT&T that there is a problem. If enough people report a problem in a specific area, it SUPER helps them figure out what to fix.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Beefstorm posted:

Download AT&T Mark the Spot. It tells AT&T that there is a problem. If enough people report a problem in a specific area, it SUPER helps them figure out what to fix.

How long has that app been out?

I swear that I've been using it for nearly 6 years.

I report the same spots, over and over and over. I had my family install it. I had my co-workers install it. I have it on all my phones and tablets, iOS and Android.

We've been reporting a specific dead zone at work and a specific dead zone outside the city over and over for nearly 6 years. I don't think they care. We just get a generic text message thanking us for letting them know about their network. It may as well say "gently caress you."

The app doesn't even have a button for SMS/MMS issues (other than reporting spam).

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Mark The Spot is worthless as far as I'm concerned. Network diagnostics should be sophisticated enough to not have to involve customers, and when customers do get involved they should at least get a followup. I've given up using it since my issues persist and go unanswered.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If you report you dropped a call in your basement, they aren't going to send trucks in 24 hours to fix.

I've always figured marking stuff is cool, but unless it's a sudden surge of 10,000+ people reporting an issue in one exact area, it's going to always be ignored.

Makes you feel powerful though, despite a high degree of probability reported stuff always falls on deaf ears.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
And the smallest of the smallest percentage of ATT users actually know about Mark The Spot/would take the time to use it, so it is in fact worthless.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
AT&T SMS were a poo poo show since Thursday night. I still have texts rolling in time stamped Thursday afternoon/evening.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hey I had a quick question, I have a Moto X unlocked that I use with AT&T's GoPhone. I bought it 13 days ago and am actually returning it today or tomorrow because I bought a version with more capacity that was on sale directly through Motorola. My question is can I take the sim in my current phone and simply put it in the new phone, or will that not work? Otherwise I can just bring both in and have them switch it over.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dexter6 posted:

AT&T SMS were a poo poo show since Thursday night. I still have texts rolling in time stamped Thursday afternoon/evening.

Yep. A photo I texted my wife (last...Friday) dinged on her phone Sunday evening at 11:30pm. Woke us up. Nice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Hey I had a quick question, I have a Moto X unlocked that I use with AT&T's GoPhone. I bought it 13 days ago and am actually returning it today or tomorrow because I bought a version with more capacity that was on sale directly through Motorola. My question is can I take the sim in my current phone and simply put it in the new phone, or will that not work? Otherwise I can just bring both in and have them switch it over.

Yes you can swap the SIM.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes you can swap the SIM.

Ok thanks. They won't care if I return the first phone without a sim in it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Ok thanks. They won't care if I return the first phone without a sim in it?

Nope.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, so I put the sim in my new phone, then erase all the data on my old phone correct? I want to make sure none of my stuff is on there when I return it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Okay, so I put the sim in my new phone, then erase all the data on my old phone correct? I want to make sure none of my stuff is on there when I return it.

Correct.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the help

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm curious about getting the new Microsoft Lumia 640 XL, but it seems like it's gonna come out in the US at the last possible second. I know windows phones have their problems, with apps specifically, but I'm wondering if AT&T offers a solid galaxy s5 if the lumia's release gets pushed back any further.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

dexter6 posted:

I can confirm this happened to me also Sunday night. Received a few MMS from Thurs-Sat, all were time-stamped with the current time, not the original time.

Seems that there were some nationwide issues. Just a reminder to never rely on S/MMS for time sensitive things, they are by definition a "best effort" method of communication. The protocols don't have guaranteed expirations or notification of failure.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

I can confirm this happened to me also Sunday night. Received a few MMS from Thurs-Sat, all were time-stamped with the current time, not the original time.

Seems that there were some nationwide issues. Just a reminder to never rely on S/MMS for time sensitive things, they are by definition a "best effort" method of communication. The protocols don't have guaranteed expirations or notification of failure.

Is it possible you could be receiving SMS ok but other people are not receiving yours?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Just a reminder to never rely on S/MMS for time sensitive things, they are by definition a "best effort" method of communication. The protocols don't have guaranteed expirations or notification of failure.

You can text 911 nowadays.

Don't blame AT&T if the guy makes it through your door with the ax because the text was delayed. Dial 911 instead, folks.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

hotsauce posted:

Dial 911 instead, folks.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

hotsauce posted:

You can text 911 nowadays.

Don't blame AT&T if the guy makes it through your door with the ax because the text was delayed. Dial 911 instead, folks.
My post was more directed at the more than zero times I had to :stare: while someone raged about how they got fired/written up/divorced because their boss/supervisor/wife/girlfriend didn't get their :siren: SUPER EMERGENCY TIME CRITICAL MESSAGE :siren:

Working with the public is an exercise in facial muscle control and emotional response. Why you're airing your marital grievances to a guy that sells phones? :iiam: Here I was stupidly assuming the real issue at hand was that you were having an affair with not one, not two but three different women!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I returned the phone I had just bought. That was no problem and they even helped me blog on my screen protector. I got home and the display wouldn't come on after making a call. Eventually I realized the proximity sensor was blocked because he had put the protector on upside down!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

dexter6 posted:

hotsauce posted:

Yep. A photo I texted my wife (last...Friday) dinged on her phone Sunday evening at 11:30pm. Woke us up. Nice.

SeaborneClink posted:

Where are you located? I'm in the St. Louis area, and MMS has been 100% unreliable since last week. Messages are out of order, delayed by 24, 36 hours, etc. The messages all have their original time stamp (mostly Thursday).

Direct SMS seems to work, but MMS was all screwed up.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

Where are you located? I'm in the St. Louis area, and MMS has been 100% unreliable since last week. Messages are out of order, delayed by 24, 36 hours, etc. The messages all have their original time stamp (mostly Thursday).

This was in Austin, TX, but even back home in DC messages are rolling in still.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Xenomorph posted:

Oregon. All my group messages are broken. Like I mentioned my mom sent a message to my brother, sister and I about scheduling Easter dinner on Friday, it didn't come in until Sunday at 8pm.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
We're moving my wife off of AT&T to Cricket. Unfortunately, her billing period stated on the 6th, if we switched her over now, would AT&T prorate the rest of this month or would we still have to pay for the whole month? She's on Next and her phone is completely paid off, if that helps.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PurpleJesus posted:

We're moving my wife off of AT&T to Cricket. Unfortunately, her billing period stated on the 6th, if we switched her over now, would AT&T prorate the rest of this month or would we still have to pay for the whole month? She's on Next and her phone is completely paid off, if that helps.

They should prorate it.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Duckman2008 posted:

They should prorate it.

Awesome, thanks!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So given the apparent shortage of GS6 Edge devices already. Can I walk into an At&t store today, switch my plan to mobile share value with 2 lines, and 2 new GS6's and then port the second line over from VZ tomorrow? My gf is moving from verizon to my account on At&t, but she can't come to the store with me until tomorrow. Of course, she's an iphone junky, but says she wants to switch if I say so, but I'd rather her at least hold the phone etc. The problem is they may not have any in stock tomorrow. Don't even know if they have any now honestly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

So given the apparent shortage of GS6 Edge devices already. Can I walk into an At&t store today, switch my plan to mobile share value with 2 lines, and 2 new GS6's and then port the second line over from VZ tomorrow? My gf is moving from verizon to my account on At&t, but she can't come to the store with me until tomorrow. Of course, she's an iphone junky, but says she wants to switch if I say so, but I'd rather her at least hold the phone etc. The problem is they may not have any in stock tomorrow. Don't even know if they have any now honestly.

I haven't been in store this week, but demand for the Galaxy launches is actually usually pretty low, so it won't be that hard to get a S6. That being said, they could future Date your port for her number. I would recommend they just put the port out a few days, and then they can call in to accelerate it when you return next day.

Make your significant other switch phone sides at your own risk. I did that with my wife and it was a bad idea haha.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

thebushcommander posted:

Honestly, it's day two and we haven't sold a single galaxy so far. I have no idea how.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I'm looking to upgrade from my s5 to something with an unlocked bootloader, is there an easy way to see which devices have unlocked bootloaders?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

madkapitolist posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from my s5 to something with an unlocked bootloader, is there an easy way to see which devices have unlocked bootloaders?

Nexus 6

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Beefstorm posted:

Honestly, it's day two and we haven't sold a single galaxy so far. I have no idea how.

I went in and was able to secure one easily. Friday at the store the rep told me he sold about 30 units between the Edge and Regular S6 right when their store opened at 9am, but I was the first person after that to come in around noon. They definitely don't have the gold version which actually looks more chrome than gold and was actually going to be my choice, sadly they had no idea when it was coming in. They apparently got over 100 units shipped in for the launch though.

Saturday when I actually did the upgrade was interesting. It was amazing how little the reps at the store knew about the phone or even Android in general. The guy working with us even had the Edge as his personal phone and was using a Note Edge for his work device. I'm pretty sure when I left he knew a lot more about the phone and android that he could use as key selling points. Hilariously enough while I was talking with them and they were waiting for all my gf's iphone BS to transfer over a Samsung rep came in to see how the launch was going and had a mini film crew with him. He also seemed to know little about the phone and android other than Samsung specific stuff. He then asked me if I wanted to do a quick interview for a commercial Samsung was making using compiled video from "Galaxy success stories" I declined, or rather my GF did, but he gave me his card and said to call if I changed my mind.

At one point there were 3 reps around the table we were at listening to me being a nerd about Android features and things I normally do on a customization level etc. It was pretty hilarious, it's like they all switched from iphones recently and had no idea things were that different. Hell, none of them even knew what Android Wear was even though they were selling the Moto 360 in store. When I left one of them had themed his newly installed nova launcher with some avengers crap theme and was all excited. How much money do store reps make, because I am pretty sure I can sell the phones pretty well if I ever worked there. I was one of the best sales reps at Best Buy like 15 years ago at our local store because I actually knew things about computers and electronics and could explain features to customers rather than being like, "This is the new samsung, its a great phone because Samsung"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thebushcommander posted:

I went in and was able to secure one easily. Friday at the store the rep told me he sold about 30 units between the Edge and Regular S6 right when their store opened at 9am, but I was the first person after that to come in around noon. They definitely don't have the gold version which actually looks more chrome than gold and was actually going to be my choice, sadly they had no idea when it was coming in. They apparently got over 100 units shipped in for the launch though.

Saturday when I actually did the upgrade was interesting. It was amazing how little the reps at the store knew about the phone or even Android in general. The guy working with us even had the Edge as his personal phone and was using a Note Edge for his work device. I'm pretty sure when I left he knew a lot more about the phone and android that he could use as key selling points. Hilariously enough while I was talking with them and they were waiting for all my gf's iphone BS to transfer over a Samsung rep came in to see how the launch was going and had a mini film crew with him. He also seemed to know little about the phone and android other than Samsung specific stuff. He then asked me if I wanted to do a quick interview for a commercial Samsung was making using compiled video from "Galaxy success stories" I declined, or rather my GF did, but he gave me his card and said to call if I changed my mind.

At one point there were 3 reps around the table we were at listening to me being a nerd about Android features and things I normally do on a customization level etc. It was pretty hilarious, it's like they all switched from iphones recently and had no idea things were that different. Hell, none of them even knew what Android Wear was even though they were selling the Moto 360 in store. When I left one of them had themed his newly installed nova launcher with some avengers crap theme and was all excited. How much money do store reps make, because I am pretty sure I can sell the phones pretty well if I ever worked there. I was one of the best sales reps at Best Buy like 15 years ago at our local store because I actually knew things about computers and electronics and could explain features to customers rather than being like, "This is the new samsung, its a great phone because Samsung"
And then everyone stood up and clapped.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

And then everyone stood up and clapped.

Yeah, screw him for wanting the store reps to care about the product and be knowledgeable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prescription Combs posted:

Yeah, screw him for wanting the store reps to care about the product and be knowledgeable.

Store reps need to be knowledgable about the phones sure. But for 99% of customers, it's really only the basics, and personally I would rather someone who focuses on the personal experience versus tech experience.

Also, I would want someone who is good at the personal experience and especially at selling, since it's a sales job. And tech people tend to make awful sales reps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cell phone salesmen have one job: to sell cell phones. Shooting the poo poo about smartphone operating system customization and apocrypha is not part of that unless it helps them to sell a cell phone. And it doesn't because 99.9% of people walking in there just want A Phone.