Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly posted:

A ticket came in:

I don't even....

What's your SLA?

Hold her to the low priority turn around time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Wiggly posted:

A ticket came in:

I don't even....

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wiggly posted:

A ticket came in:

I don't even....

Post a screenshot of this ticket or I refuse to believe it is a real thing. How the gently caress.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
IT means Instant Therapist? I did not know that.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Well, it's called the "Helpdesk" and not the "Computer Helpdesk" so technically you have to help with whatever they want until you change the name.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

ponzicar posted:

Well, it's called the "Helpdesk" and not the "Computer Helpdesk" so technically you have to help with whatever they want until you change the name.

It's called called a desk because you're siting at your desk while doing it.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Uh oh.

Translated:
e-mail is: <e-mail>
I do not remember the password. Tried to create a new one but I don't understand how.
But poo poo in it[this is what he said in Norwegian as well]. I will go to the police tomorrow and report <my company>. It can't be that after a 30 days I can't delete something I've downloaded.
What mafia schemes is this?

This email came immediately after he asked how to remove our App from his phone, and we asked for more details like what app it was.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Alright, so my fiancee and I are having a baby within the next week or two and I'm being asked to essentially have my laptop available and to start working on a company acquisition "as soon as the baby stuff is done."

"On behalf of the company you are obviously entitled to the full extent of the family medical leave act, but, uh, seriously, be available as soon as possible."

If anyone knows of any IT jobs in the Delaware and/or tristate area, please hit me up. This is the last straw.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

"On behalf of the company you are obviously entitled to the full extent of the family medical leave act, but, uh, seriously, be available as soon as possible."

Holy poo poo.

"Sure thing, that'll be in about 3 months."

Good luck finding something new.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Alright, so my fiancee and I are having a baby within the next week or two and I'm being asked to essentially have my laptop available and to start working on a company acquisition "as soon as the baby stuff is done."

If anyone knows of any IT jobs in the Delaware and/or tristate area, please hit me up. This is the last straw.

You've now broken the "nobody actually lives in Delaware" law of reality. I've never seen/met anyone from there before, and neither has anybody else I've ever asked.

But yeah, time to ride out the leave and :yotj:

The job market out there looks pretty healthy if I extrapolate from recruiter messages

evol262 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 10, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Insert the old clip of the Simpsons wanting to visit Wilmington to see the Screen Door Factory here.

Delaware isn't exactly the place to be these days.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21647642-living-standards-drop-americas-business-capital-first-state-comes-last

The big problem for me in being a Delawarean is that all my choices are the various financial institutions, which are all flavors of the same thing with all the bullshit associated with them. I'd just be moving from one evil to another. Considering that I've now worked for 4 different banks in my lifetime I can say that with a certain degree of confidence.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

You seem familiar with these things. Do you use them? If so, I'm curious how you feel about them.

They're good software, though I wish they didn't use java and were written primarily in python or something instead.

I don't like programs relying on other programs, from a troubleshooting perspective.

On that note, Salesforce.com can suck my dick. I liked ServiceNow better than this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They're good software, though I wish they didn't use java and were written primarily in python or something instead.

I don't like programs relying on other programs, from a troubleshooting perspective.

On that note, Salesforce.com can suck my dick. I liked ServiceNow better than this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Java requirement changed or went away sometime in the next year or so.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I hate the Java based programs that I have to use every day in my job, mostly because they have really lovely memory management and will gleefully eat up all my resources if I don't restart them periodically.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Java requirement changed or went away sometime in the next year or so.

Possibly, I've brought it up to one of the "engineers" often enough. (he's actually just kind of a wizard with the program, idk what else he actually does)

I think my favorite thing is when non-tech people (or even tech people who should know better) argue with you, the software tech, when you tell them their software isn't going to run properly until they get their computer working in a better state. To be more specific:

cx: hi my software isn't running, im very upset, do you understand how important these things are to me??
me: okay, lemme just investigate the matter
*time passes*
me: okay, looks like your vss is broken, you have a dying hard external hard drive. Go buy a new one, have a local tech fix this vss error *gives them the eventids to give to the tech* and we'll be able to use the software properly.

Now, one of two things will happen:
"I brought the computer to Gleeks Quad and they said it's fine!!"
or
"none of my other programs have this problem, its your fault cause your software sucks!" *leaves for another company and comes crawling back 6 months later when the same poo poo happens because they refused to listen, all the while grumbling about it and saying our support was better*

I've also had "IT Guys" go "what's VSS? Why do I need VSS? Can't you just back up the files without VSS?" :shepicide:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I don't understand why anyone would use VSS when git is available.

Same goes for svn *ducks*

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

I don't understand why anyone would use VSS when git is available.

Same goes for svn *ducks*

Why use VSS when you can use RAID.

:downsgun:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've also had "IT Guys" go "what's VSS? Why do I need VSS? Can't you just back up the files without VSS?" :shepicide:

VSS has been dead for years. Please move onto TFS or something. There are no source control systems shittier than VSS anyway, except maybe Clearcase

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

m.hache posted:

Why use VSS when you can use RAID.

:downsgun:

Legit question: Is there software out there that can do a bare metal backup of a RAID setup?

evol262 posted:

VSS has been dead for years. Please move onto TFS or something. There are no source control systems shittier than VSS anyway, except maybe Clearcase

I am not familiar with either of those. Unfortunately, the software I work with would probably have to be completely re-written to support those technologies.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Legit question: Is there software out there that can do a bare metal backup of a RAID setup?

As far as I was aware (and I could be completely off base) your RAID is just your HDD setup (storage containers). So any recent data recovery software should be able to dump a bare metal copy of your OS onto a new RAID.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

evol262 posted:

Volume Snapshot Service, surely ?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone's in the NY/NJ area and wants tickets to come in with me as a helpdesk guy, we're looking to hire someone. Details in the jobs thread.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

In case anyone's in the NY/NJ area and wants tickets to come in with me as a helpdesk guy, we're looking to hire someone. Details in the jobs thread.

Can I get a link to this job thread I keep hearing about?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah I think GreenBuckanneer means VSS as in Volume Shadow/Snapshot Service, not Visual Source Safe. :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah I think GreenBuckanneer means VSS as in Volume Shadow/Snapshot Service, not Visual Source Safe. :v:

Uh yeah...I thought that was kind of apparent. Sorry.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

Can I get a link to this job thread I keep hearing about?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135

It's stickied here in SH/SC.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

I have no idea why my eyes always gloss over stickied threads. I always just assume they are Rule threads or server maintenance.

Oh god I'm one of those end users. :cry:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in:

Summary: LIZARD LOOSE IN THIS LOCATION 
Client states there is a lizard in this room , have tried to catch but too fast. 

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

m.hache posted:

I have no idea why my eyes always gloss over stickied threads. I always just assume they are Rule threads or server maintenance.

Oh god I'm one of those end users. :cry:

Outed. :cb:

Best ticket ever from memory.

Subject: Network issues
Body: please do the needful

Umm.. ok

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 10, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Possibly, I've brought it up to one of the "engineers" often enough. (he's actually just kind of a wizard with the program, idk what else he actually does)

I think my favorite thing is when non-tech people (or even tech people who should know better) argue with you, the software tech, when you tell them their software isn't going to run properly until they get their computer working in a better state. To be more specific:

cx: hi my software isn't running, im very upset, do you understand how important these things are to me??
me: okay, lemme just investigate the matter
*time passes*
me: okay, looks like your vss is broken, you have a dying hard external hard drive. Go buy a new one, have a local tech fix this vss error *gives them the eventids to give to the tech* and we'll be able to use the software properly.

Now, one of two things will happen:
"I brought the computer to Gleeks Quad and they said it's fine!!"
or
"none of my other programs have this problem, its your fault cause your software sucks!" *leaves for another company and comes crawling back 6 months later when the same poo poo happens because they refused to listen, all the while grumbling about it and saying our support was better*

Story of my life.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jre posted:

Volume Snapshot Service, surely ?

Showing my age :/

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Uh yeah...I thought that was kind of apparent. Sorry.

In retrospect, yeah. I skimmed the post, landed on:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've also had "IT Guys" go "what's VSS? Why do I need VSS? Can't you just back up the files without VSS?"
And got PTSD about both VSS and webroots with "index.html.backup.20021202"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

evol262 posted:

And got PTSD about both VSS and webroots with "index.html.backup.20021202"

I was going to say, post some trigger warnings before talking about VSS.

And of course, the last time I had to deal with it was TYOOL 2012. They're probably still using it today, with every user knowing the admin password and forcing unlocks of other people's checked-out files multiple times a day...

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

This day can gently caress right off. Right now it's just myself and one co-worker in the office out of a team of five and people won't leave us alone.

Also if you're running a store don't dick people around on an RMA and then have the balls to request a five out of five star review.

Is it beer-thirty yet?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"hey why isn't your software making a snapshot?"

"well your C drive has IO errors, it could fail any minu-" *computer bsod then restarts *

:downs:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Migishu posted:

A ticket came in:

Client states there is a lizard in this room , have tried to catch but too fast. 
To be fair, I have had a computer fry because a lizard decided the power supply was warm and lounged against a capacitor.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Was the lizard ok? :ohdear:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Migishu posted:

A ticket came in:

Oh man, this is like my dream ticket. Keep us updated so I can live vicariously through you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

More than okay, he was delicious.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Migishu posted:

A ticket came in:

Theres a whole family of lizards who live just outside my cube's window. They climb up the wall in the afternoon to bathe in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

Oh man, this is like my dream ticket. Keep us updated so I can live vicariously through you.

Unfortunately, I'm not personally handling it, otherwise I'd have got a small aquarium and keep him as a company mascot :3:

Looks like they're getting pest control out to catch him. Godspeed you! Fast Lizard

• Locked thread