Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

it's actually about ethics in armchair Pro Tour judging

Fixed that for you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Fixed that for you. :v:

i'm appealing your fix on the grounds that the words never touched my post (b/c your reply is on a diff page)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh man, Jeskai Ascendancy Combo continues to be the coolest deck ever this standard. :allears: He dug through what? A third of his deck for that Helix?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

haha this jeskai ascendancy game

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GonSmithe posted:

Both. His opponent said "he needs to reveal the card" at the exact moment the judge was stopping play.

Well if the judge stopped play the right thing for the oppoent was not to argue and provide accurate information when prompted.

Zoness posted:

it's actually about ethics in feature table journalism

Will admit that I laughed.

Also more Judge action now.

Ramos posted:

Oh man, Jeskai Ascendancy Combo continues to be the coolest deck ever this standard. :allears: He dug through what? A third of his deck for that Helix?

I'm going to admit ignorance to what most of the standard metagame is currently. What is the combo?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ramos posted:

I kind of hate it now

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I find Sum Wook's slow rolling (along with Tian's in round 4) to get really grating when they do it for every single card they draw when they try and combo off.

Come on dude, just draw your card and look at it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
What after seeing that chapin debacle you want people to motion through drawing cards faster?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gridlocked posted:

He dealt some drugs when he was younger. Got caught, sent off to jail for a bit, came out reformed and/or a Magic player.
He was a well known Magic player before the whole crime time thing otherwise none of us would know about it.

Also the part people tend to make a big deal out of is the whole disappeared witness thing which you oddly gloss over?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

I'm going to admit ignorance to what most of the standard metagame is currently. What is the combo?
Jeskai Ascendancy plus two mana dudes plus Retraction Helix plus Dragon Mantle. With Ascendancy + 2 dudes you get 2 mana every time you cast a spell. Dragon Mantle + Helix means you can draw your entire deck and either kill them with the now enormous mana dudes (through +1/+1 triggers off Ascendancy) or through Altar of the Brood milling.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zoness posted:

What after seeing that chapin debacle you want people to motion through drawing cards faster?

Heheh.

Also Ancona now being hyper conchy about top of the deck stuff. The paranoia sets in.

Spiderdrake posted:

He was a well known Magic player before the whole crime time thing otherwise none of us would know about it.

Also the part people tend to make a big deal out of is the whole disappeared witness thing which you oddly gloss over?

Heard about the witness going missing but only in passing so I am/wasn't sure if it is true or just a case of Chinese whispers. Do tell.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 10, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Heheh.

Also Ancona now being hyper conchy about top of the deck stuff. The paranoia sets in.

Seriously, where are you watching this? The stream I have is showing Rade vs Nam Sung Wook.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ let's theorycraft about CRATERS CLAWING our own loving caryatid to kill our opponents and then say we were thinking about bile's blight in RED GREEN DRAGONS.

This manages to be worse than DotA coverage by the worst casters.

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean I just don't like to mention it because it's spooky and the actual events would have to be extrapolated iirc.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Zoness posted:

Hey, I want them to just draw the card. Not slide it across the table, look up at the great magic heavens, sigh, then slowly peel it up.

To quote the man of the hour Mr. Chapin himself: "Don't look, just slam it." Jeskai Ascendancy combo would be much more entertaining to watch go off if every important card drawn was slammed on the table straight away.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lancelot posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy plus two mana dudes plus Retraction Helix plus Dragon Mantle. With Ascendancy + 2 dudes you get 2 mana every time you cast a spell. Dragon Mantle + Helix means you can draw your entire deck and either kill them with the now enormous mana dudes (through +1/+1 triggers off Ascendancy) or through Altar of the Brood milling.

Oh I vaguely remember seeing that a month or so ago on SCG. Hooray combo decks.

Zoness posted:

Jesus Christ let's theorycraft about CRATERS CLAWING our own loving caryatid to kill our opponents and then say we were thinking about bile's blight in RED GREEN DRAGONS.

This manages to be worse than DotA coverage by the worst casters.

I like Randys Vintage Super League Commentary :saddowns:

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 10, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Huh, was Anticipate enough to make Ascendancy Combo viable?

an_mutt posted:

It won. Madden (?) was able to Duress an End Hostilities from Owen's hand the turn before it would have wiped his board, then he swung for lethal the next turn. Another sweet deck that I want to build now!
Sounds sweet, I'll have to catch that later

Lancelot posted:

There are a few ways to finish them, you can use a zero mana artifact and Twin Flame to generate infinite mana at some point and bounce their whole board too.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

Yeah Marshall and Randy are not great compared to people with actual knowledge of the format. (cf Patrick and Cedric). It was like last PT where LSV was in the booth and shooting down all Randy's inane lines.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zoness posted:

I mean I just don't like to mention it because it's spooky and the actual events would have to be extrapolated iirc.
I think people years ago looked at the published documents regarding the case.

Unrelated but my RL friend who qualified with Abzan control before that was a thing is 5-1 woot.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Huh, was Anticipate enough to make Ascendancy Combo viable?

It's always been somewhat viable, just not necessarily T1. Anticipate is reaaaal good

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lancelot posted:

Yeah Marshall and Randy are not great compared to people with actual knowledge of the format. (cf Patrick and Cedric). It was like last PT where LSV was in the booth and shooting down all Randy's inane lines.

I think that Chapin-LSV-Cedric would be the Dream Team of coverage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lancelot posted:

They honestly should be paying SSG money to rent Patrick and Cedric for these pro tours. They should probably pay SSG for the entire production actually. It would be worth all the $$.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Am I crazy or did Nam Sung Wook's combo not work Game 1? If he plays Altar of the Brood and his only bounce loop is Dragon Mantle, won't he mill himself to death before his opponent does, since he had way less cards in his library at the time? Since he has to draw a card from Dragon's Mantle's ETB?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Serperoth posted:

I think was the team that did GP Richmond

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

I think Marshall + 1 Pro is good enough. Marshall is good at playing the fool to really highlight the pro's insight.

Marshall + Randy is just like, Simian Grunts.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

I think Marshall + 1 Pro is good enough. Marshall is good at playing the fool to really highlight the pro's insight.

Randy is my Simian Spirit Guide to what not to do on a stream

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

They honestly should be paying SSG money to rent Patrick and Cedric for these pro tours. They should probably pay SSG for the entire production actually. It would be worth all the $$.

I'm pretty sure SSG's production crew is contracted out. They would just need to get the same company (or outbid SSG for that specific team after their contract is up). Very rarely would a company like Wizards or SSG build a production crew in house.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Serperoth posted:

I think Patrick Sullivan is good on SCG too.

Current dream team is LSV, Ceddy and Dave Williams.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

qbert posted:

Am I crazy or did Nam Sung Wook's combo not work Game 1? If he plays Altar of the Brood and his only bounce loop is Dragon Mantle, won't he mill himself to death before his opponent does, since he had way less cards in his library at the time? Since he has to draw a card from Dragon's Mantle's ETB?

He also has an Astral Cornucopia in the deck and just starts bouncing that to Brood for free.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Yeah, I like that combo as well. Colour commentary by someone who's not a pro, and play-by-play by a pro.

Gridlocked posted:

I think Patrick Sullivan is good on SCG too.

Current dream team is LSV, Ceddy and Dave Williams.

Patrick is pretty great, and Matthias too. I just prefer Cedric.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Marshall and Randy saying "no mono red" while they just posted the metagame breakdown on the Wizards site show it is the most popular deck with 47 out of 408

http://bit.ly/1aeYMtE

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Serperoth posted:

Patrick is pretty great, and Matthias too. I just prefer Cedric.

Cedric is definitely the best on SCG. His streams were super entertaining too, he has a great personality for being the face of things.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Randy is my Simian Spirit Guide to what not to do on a stream

I don't mean to jump on it again but Vintage Super League is great and Randy did a good job setting it up, even with the obvious clandestine set up using Skype for commentary and awkward hand cams.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Boco_T posted:

Marshall and Randy saying "no mono red" while they just posted the metagame breakdown on the Wizards site show it is the most popular deck with 47 out of 408

http://bit.ly/1aeYMtE

They don't watch the tables that aren't eligible for coverage, e.g. the decks that are doing poorly. It still has a pretty unfavorable matchup with anything running Courser of Kruphix, Sylvan Caryatids and most of the cards in the Abzan Aggro deck.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 10, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Cedric is definitely the best on SCG. His streams were super entertaining too, he has a great personality for being the face of things.

Cedric + Chapin is probably the most entertaining coverage duo I can recall, they have such great chemistry. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any of my boy Jeskai Tokens running around

Alaan
May 24, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

He also has an Astral Cornucopia in the deck and just starts bouncing that to Brood for free.

Yep. The loop let's you draw your whole deck so there is a 100% chance to see the cornucopia of its still in the deck.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Efro is either 7-0 or 6-1 playingit

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

21 of them. Its like the 7th most popular deck. There's a total of two of that white-blue control deck every one on here claimed was going to be super amazing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RDW was probably beaten out because people were expecting it. Although apparently some UB control decks have done well off the back of herd immunity.

qbert posted:

That's technically true, but he was drawing his whole deck and I imagine he had something else to loop in there somewhere (either something like a Spidersilk Net or another Altar).

Angry Grimace posted:

21 of them. Its like the 7th most popular deck. There's a total of two of that white-blue control deck every one on here claimed was going to be super amazing.
There is a 7-0 Esper deck though.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 10, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's technically true, but he was drawing his whole deck and I imagine he had something else to loop in there somewhere (either something like a Spidersilk Net or another Altar).
There is a 7-0 Esper deck though.

The fact that there's so few Narset-control decks suggests it didn't test very well, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

True, there are only 2 UW control decks (vs, for example, 5 Chromantiflayer and 6 RG bees).

• Locked thread