Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think I must have really terrible taste in music because I really liked the music preview :saddowns:.

No you're just not a whiny baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't know why i'm getting a super anime vibe from it despite the last game being pretty anime.

Maybe it's the british voice acting.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
My notes from the stream:

Doll types:
-Light type: low HP, high evasion
-Middle type: balanced, easy to use
-Heavy type: high HP and defense, harder to use
-Anyone can drive any Doll
-Vehicle form: light Dolls are fast and can drift, heavier dolls are more stable
-Once you get the flight pack you can fly around, but pay attention to your fuel
-You can buy Dolls at shops, but they are very expensive

Doll equipment & combat:
-Equipment slots: hand weapon, arm weapon, spare weapon, back weapon, shoulder weapon
-Two of each slot, left and right
-Hand weapons dictate how your autoattacks work, other weapons give your Doll arts
-Arm weapons: beam shield, vulcan. Usually give support arts.
-Spare weapons: beam saber, hand grenade. Weak, but recharge quickly
-Back weapons: powerful, right-side weapons have high attack, left-side weapons have support effects. Some weapons use both slots
-Shoulder weapons: even more powerful, right-side weapons have high attack, left-side weapons have support effects.
-Super weapons: can't be bought at shops, need to research at Arms Companies. Use several slots. E.g. Six-Cannon, Bomb Flail.
-You can customize Doll colors and names

Doll Fuel:
-Dolls spend fuel when flying or using arts
-More powerful arts use more fuel, if you run out you won't be able to use any arts and will crash if you're flying
-Doll fuel slowly regenerates when you disembark
-You can buy Doll fuel at the BLADE HQ with Miranium

Doll fighting technique:
-When you're in a Doll, Break->Topple is replaced by Break->Catch
-When an enemy is caught, it can't move and all attacks against it hit automatically and deal bonus damage
-You have to repeatedly succeed in QTEs to maintain a Catch
-Sometimes when you use arts you enter Cockpit Mode, which instantly recharges your arts
-Overclock Gear: special effects depend on the model of your Doll
-During OC Gear you won't use up any fuel

Doll Warranty:
-Enemies can destroy parts of your Doll, which disables the arts that use that body part
-Your Doll will be destroyed if it runs out of HP
-First three times your Doll blows up, it's covered by warranty and you get it fixed for free, afterwards you have to pay to get it repaired
-You can avoid Doll destruction by jumping out before the Doll blows up
-Dolls automatically regenerate health and body parts out of battle

Doll Defense:
-If you have a Doll on your team, all allies on foot get a defense bonus (+20% per Doll)
-Doll Suits: some armor has low defense, but gives bonuses when you're piloting a Doll

Online:
-You can find other players' characters in the world and recruit them into your party
-The player you recruited gets rewards like extra experience
-Players can form 32-member squads
-BLADE Report: you can broadcast information throughout your squad
-You can upvote reports - reports with a lot of votes will become visible to players outside your squad
-Treasure Deal: you can offer loot you don't need to other squad members. If multiple people want the loot, the winner is picked randomly
-Squad Missions: your squad has a limited time to accomplish objectives like killing monsters or getting collectibles. The squad's progress is added together - for example, if you need to kill 20 enemies, you could have 4 players kill 5 enemies each
-When you accomplish a squad mission objective, you can take a Squad Quest
-Squad Quests: multiplayer quests for 4 people (NPC party members like Elma and Lyn fill any empty slots)
-When you complete squad missions and squad quests, your squad's conquest rate increases
-When your conquest rate gets high enough, you can take squad quests to fight against superbosses called World Enemies
-Some World Enemies can only be fought at certain times
-Uniongram: shows how much people are completing each union's associated activities
-Ranking: leaderboards for various activities

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dastardly posted:

It's not a bad soundtrack, but you're being the whiny baby if you're dismissing legitimate complaints about Sawano reusing his materials too often because it's completely true.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think I must have really terrible taste in music because I really liked the music preview :saddowns:.

I'm guessing you haven't been exposed to enough Sawano to be sick of his music yet since it is all very samey.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Junkie Disease posted:

music and anime faces can't stop the gameplay. If that sucks though I have no idea.

It looks a lot better than the first game's gameplay at least. Hopefully it doesn't have the same weird scaling thing when you're a few levels above/below the enemy, or at least they make it less exaggerated.

My feeling on the soundtrack is still basically that the vocal tracks are Not Good and the non-vocal tracks are anywhere from Good to Great.

The first game was carried a lot by it's story and characters, plus the music and environments helped a ton. I'm still pretty on the fence about this one looking good or bad.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Nope, it's actually because it's good and people are overreacting. idk if the game's going to be good or not but the people freaking out need to chill

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Doc V posted:

Okay so all the negative poo poo I said was about how the game looks. The gameplay stuff sounds great.

The music not so much.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lmao OK I take it back I just got to the first vocal track and it's hilariously bad. the non-vocal stuff's still good though

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Lmao OK I take it back I just got to the first vocal track and it's hilariously bad. the non-vocal stuff's still good though

Yeah, I think some of them are dangerous straddling the line of "stupidly fun" but then some just fall right off into "just kinda bad" territory.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Doc V posted:

That's some good stuff. I really appreciate you going out of your way to translate things while NoA and E is busy not talking about X at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dastardly posted:

That's some good stuff. I really appreciate you going out of your way to translate things while NoA and E is busy not talking about X at all.

Xenoblade Chronicles is going to be one of their Holiday games most likely, they're not going to blow their marketing load months before it comes out.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Just fired up Xenoblade Chronicles 3D! Was there some special thing you could unlock with the Shulk Amiibo? He just gave me some generic tokens when I tried.

Looking forward to some Reyn Time, in 3D!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dastardly posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't say that criticizing the music counts as being a whiny baby. Sawano's soundtracks after Unicorn have a ridiculous amount of similarities between them, he even uses the same loving vocalist for every single one. A lot of his songs sound so similar that they could probably be the same track. The Xenoblade OST seems especially phoned in so far. While Chronicles didn't really have any main unifying theme that was most likely the product of the fact that the game's soundtrack was composed by so many different people. X doesn't really have that, and a lot of its songs also sound exactly like generic Sawano pieces, while also not really sharing a strong unifying melody.

About half of the soundtrack seems really bland and generic, the other half of the soundtrack seems like it'd make pretty good exploration music.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Silver Falcon posted:

Just fired up Xenoblade Chronicles 3D! Was there some special thing you could unlock with the Shulk Amiibo? He just gave me some generic tokens when I tried.

It's just the token's according to the manual. I also had no idea that this came out nearly a full week ago here.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I like the sound of warranty on my giant mech.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Golden Goat posted:

I'm starting to think this game might turn out to not be so great.

i don't pay you to think

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

do we know how integral the MMO stuff's going to be? It sounds cool to do from time to time but i don't really need another MMO in my life

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't say that criticizing the music counts as being a whiny baby. Sawano's soundtracks after Unicorn have a ridiculous amount of similarities between them, he even uses the same loving vocalist for every single one. A lot of his songs sound so similar that they could probably be the same track. The Xenoblade OST seems especially phoned in so far. While Chronicles didn't really have any main unifying theme that was most likely the product of the fact that the game's soundtrack was composed by so many different people. X doesn't really have that, and a lot of its songs also sound exactly like generic Sawano pieces, while also not really sharing a strong unifying melody.

About half of the soundtrack seems really bland and generic, the other half of the soundtrack seems like it'd make pretty good exploration music.

Probably worth noting that the person referred to as a 'whiny baby' in that post is in fact saying that they liked the music preview, if acknowledging that their tastes might veer away from everyone else's (unless the post was parodying others, in which case, apologies).

Admittedly, whilst I haven't quite grown tired of Sawano yet, its very easy to see his particular motifs in the soundtrack. I think the most annoying thing about it is that, after playing the game for dozens or possibly hundreds of hours, I suspect a lot of the songs are going to blend together, and so once someone eventually stops playing, it'd be hard to remember particular songs or what they were even tied to. Which, when you've got something as ridiculously long as this game is probably going to be, being able to events by their specific music cues is kinda helpful.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

or, actually, are your squaddies just going to be NPC versions of other peoples' PCs? because if I want to just hang out and play a jrpg i don't usually want to MMO it up

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Silver Falcon posted:

The tokens are used to unlock music to listen to and character models to look at. You get the tokens from using the amiibo, from streetpasses, or from spending play coins.

You can't access this stuff from in-game btw, it's an option in the main menu before you start the game/load a save. Took me a while to figure that out once I decided to look for it, because I'd just been closing the 3DS when I wasn't playing and never actually exiting the game.

Edit: they also went the annoying route of making it random unlocks, and it's not even guaranteed you'll get something that wasn't already unlocked unless you spend three tokens instead of one. Plus not everything's available to unlock from the start. Hope you didn't want to unlock a particular track to listen to right away!

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 10, 2015

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Holy poo poo the online stuff in Xenoblade Chronicles X sounds amazing.

I'm usually the kind of person who will leave my custom character as default as possible, but now I wanna make sure my guy's cool enough for other people to take along.

Where the hell's the American release date NoA

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
They might be taking the "offline MMO" approach to a whole new level, where instead of just having combat mechanics like one, it'll look/sound and have about as deep of a story like one, too. Seriously, the game so far looks like a directionless MMO sandbox than an actual story driven experience like chronicles was and also has absolutely no traces of any of the vibes of that game, so unless they've basically been keeping 95% of the game's story a secret all this time, I dunno where it's supposed to go.

It really does look like some Phantasy Star Online 2/Monster Hunter type deal except it plays like XC and you get to pilot Gears Dolls during normal missions I guess. Don't get me wrong, I'll still get it day one and it'll probably be quite decent, but it's quite clear it will not recreate the magic of the original Xenoblade.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 10, 2015

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Have they commented on the original trailer we were shown where it was supposedly Shulk's face flashed near the end? I don't want an open ended story, I want a focused, great story with the POTENTIAL to have more open ended opportunities, just like Xenoblade had.

Just listened to the soundtrack again and it's still loving terrible. The soundtrack titles can be mistaken for an Aphex Twin album except Richard's music is more coherent and interesting than this garbage.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

They might be taking the "offline MMO" approach to a whole new level, where instead of just having combat mechanics like one, it'll look/sound and have about as deep of a story like one, too. Seriously, the game so far looks like a directionless MMO sandbox than an actual story driven experience like chronicles was and also has absolutely no traces of any of the vibes of that game, so unless they've basically been keeping 95% of the game's story a secret all this time, I dunno where it's supposed to go.

I don't remember knowing anything about Xenoblade's story before it came out other than "everyone lives on the body of a giant and there's another giant where the baddies come from". Which seems about equivalent to "aliens blew up the Earth, we escaped and crashed on an alien planet" in terms of establishing the setting, really.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Louisgod posted:

Have they commented on the original trailer we were shown where it was supposedly Shulk's face flashed near the end? I don't want an open ended story, I want a focused, great story with the POTENTIAL to have more open ended opportunities, just like Xenoblade had.

Just listened to the soundtrack again and it's still loving terrible. The soundtrack titles can be mistaken for an Aphex Twin album except Richard's music is more coherent and interesting than this garbage.

I'm pretty sure you landed New LA on Shulks giant face. Oops Spoiler the ending to X is your on a giant face.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm pretty sure you landed New LA on Shulks giant face. Oops Spoiler the ending to X is your on a giant face.

At least we know they have water wherever they land

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

It really does look like some Phantasy Star Online 2/Monster Hunter type deal except it plays like XC and you get to pilot Gears Dolls during normal missions I guess. Don't get me wrong, I'll still get it day one and it'll probably be quite decent, but it's quite clear it will not recreate the magic of the original Xenoblade.

They haven't really focused on progression structure at all, so I wouldn't worry about that yet. They showed a story trailer at one of their E3 presentations, but since then all these streams have been about gameplay mechanics. As far as story goes we've only seen the beginning and some of the character introductions.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Suaimhneas posted:

I don't remember knowing anything about Xenoblade's story before it came out other than "everyone lives on the body of a giant and there's another giant where the baddies come from". Which seems about equivalent to "aliens blew up the Earth, we escaped and crashed on an alien planet" in terms of establishing the setting, really.

I think things are partly thrown by how much information we've honestly received beforehand, including most of the map (assuming there might still be a few 'instances' or the equivalent thereof). So it makes it seem kinda hard to see how things won't just be in places you've already gone to and cleared out, or otherwise be left aside because you've not even bothered to touch the story in favour of completing everything else first as it were an Elder Scrolls game.

I do wonder though if there won't still be some point that entirely flips the scenario on its head though.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Yeah, more than likely the sandbox/online stuff is all they can show without giving something away, so there's still room to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm thinking it's still not going to have quite the impact the original did all the same.

And yes, they're already revealed what they claim to be the full world map and all sorts of other things, and so far I can't really see some epic story stemming from that that isn't going to involve spelunking a bunch of caves or hidden bases, etc. Hell, this game could be some bizarro remake of Xenogears for all we know.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 10, 2015

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
The Birth of BLADE

A Xenoblade Chronicles X short story by Takeda Yuuichirou

PART.4 - Two days after the attack of the local wildlife was repelled

Van Damme and the bridge crew arrived in NLA on foot.
"New Los Angeles, eh? Well ain't that a pretty name"
"It'll do. More importantly, that's a bigger crowd than I remember"
Nagi looked over the people Van Damme had brought. He had worried that they might lose someone along the rugged journey, but on the contrary they had new and unfamiliar faces among them.
"These guys? I picked up some strays along the way"
According to Van Damme, they had discovered a number of escape pods during the journey to NLA.
The White Whale had been a massive colony ship and while there were reinforced sections all over the ship, there were of course weaker ones as well. The sturdier sections such as the residential section and the bridge endured the stress of the hull breaking apart and landed softly thanks to their gravity control units, but many sections couldn't accomplish the same. The crew of those sections had to land on the surface inside escape pods, and apparently Van Damme had come across some of them and rescued the passengers on his way to NLA.
"I had been worrying about the pods too..."
"We'd better get crackin' on putting together a search team. Most of 'em are sending out emergency signals, but some might be busted up"
Nagi responded with a nod. It wasn't just a matter of saving lives, the main reason they wanted to prioritize finding the escaped crew members was to secure valuable human resources. Most of the people who were in the residential section at the time of the crash had been civilians, so it was especially important to round up the troops who had spread across the White Whale to intercept the alien bioweapons.
"Agreed. We should form different units for different purposes. Recovering the crew and remains of the White Whale, the defense of NLA and investigating its surroundings - those are our main objectives right now"
Using the Doll company as a core, Nagi organized three squads and gave them the code-names Testament, Interceptor and Pathfinder. In time, their number would grow to eight, each with its own field of specialization, and they would come to be known as Unions.

Nagi decided that he himself would take command of Testament and set out to search for the crew, while Van Damme would stay behind in NLA and take charge of Interceptor. He wasn't very happy with the arrangement and erupted at Nagi.
"Hey, ain't you the captain? The guy in charge should just wait at the HQ like a good boy, not steal all the fun adventures from his cute little subordinates"
"I agree on the 'fun', but I think I'll have to disagree on the 'cute' part"
"Don't you goddamn dare!"
Van Damme grumbled and grumbled, but eventually shut up when Nagi pulled rank - ultimately, Nagi was a commodore of the United Government Army while Van Damme was just a commander.
"You sure picked a time to start acting like an officer"
"No, I always act like an officer, you just usually don't act like a subordinate"
Setting the matter of the perpetually brash Van Damme aside, Nagi thought of something. NLA would need leaders. The government, the military, in the center and at the forefront of it all - he wouldn't be able to shoulder the burden alone. He would have to spread some of it among his officers, so he had to get people like Van Damme to become more experienced in giving orders at the HQ.
(drat it, if only Elma were here...)
It was something Nagi had thought countless times since landing on the planet. He never said it out loud, but he couldn't help thinking it.

Nagi selected four AD0150 Formula.STs from among the operational Dolls in NLA and established Testament*.
"There were more advanced Dolls stored on the White Whale as well. We should try to find the hangar section or re-engineer them at NLA."
"As you say, sir, but what matters more than the machine is the pilot's skill. We will show you that with these members we can overcome any adversity"
Ensign Douglas puffed up with pride as he spoke. He had outstanding skills even amongst all the White Whale's Doll pilots, and the two with him gave him a run for his money.
"Sounds promising, Douglas"
"Please, commander, just call me Doug. You will see soon enough that I'm not just full of hot air"
"Oh, really now?"
Hearing himself called 'commander' put Nagi in a good mood. He hadn't spent much time in the field since reaching the upper ranks. Commanding a large starship from the bridge was fine, but he enjoyed heading a small elite team like this one.
(No, it's sloppy of me to think about enjoying things. Considering the severity of our current situation, I'm in no position to enjoy myself...)
Nevertheless, he inadvertently smiled a little.

The first stage of the plan was the search for escape pods and Lifes. Nagi led the troops in the direction opposite to the bridge crash site; while Van Damme seemed indiscreet, he actually did very meticulous work. Any survivors along the route he had taken had probably already been rescued - that was Nagi's reasoning.
The four Dolls continued their search, keeping a close eye on their surroundings. Along the way, they came to know the planet's astounding scenery. Spectacular mountain ranges towered as if ignoring gravity and the wildlife was abundant and too diverse to be believed.
"Sir, this is the first time I've visited an alien planet, but... it has certainly showed me the limits of my imagination"
"You've got that right. Look at that dinosaur over there"
Nagi pointed his Doll's right hand towards a creature drinking water at the bank of a lake - no matter how you looked at it, it seemed to be a dinosaur.
"Ah, that one greatly resembles a Brachiosaurus. As I recall, they lived on Earth roughly a hundred million years ago and-"
"I'm sure, but that's not what I'm getting at. A while back, I saw a pack of lizards that looked a lot like that one - only they were the size of puppies"
"What!? Could one species really vary in size that much!?"
"Beats me. They just looked the same to me, I don't know if they actually were the same species"
Though his response to the astonished Doug was noncommittal, Nagi was convinced of what he saw. Somehow, the environment of the planet seemed to have a habit of playing tricks on the genes of living things. He remembered the nocturnal beasts that had attacked the White Whale's bridge a few days earlier - back then, too, a single giant had mixed in with a group of ordinary-sized individuals. It had had the fighting strength matching its size, but otherwise it hadn't seemed unusual in any way. On a whim, they had called it an Overed - one that had surpassed the rest - but Nagi now felt that the term might not have been entirely inaccurate.
While he was lost in thought, the warrant officer bringing up the rear reported in.
"Commander, I'm detecting a heat signature. Three o'clock, two thousand meters. Looks like something is on fire"
"Maybe a brushfire? I can't see one posing a threat to NLA this far away, but we might as well check it out anyway"
Nagi quickly made his decision and the squad's path took a sharp turn to the right. If it was nothing, fine, they could resume as soon as they had confirmed it.

It turned out Nagi had made the right call: the source of the heat signature had been a piece of the White Whale going up in smoke. The section had unfortunately been used to store chemical fuel and a giant monster - an Overed - had trampled it underfoot. The burst of flames that had sprung forth had burned the piece of spacecraft into cinders and spread into the pristine forest.
Among the crew fleeing from the fire, there was a single civilian. His name was Maurice Chausson, and he was a politician who had intended to accompany the president aboard the White Whale as an aide. However, right as they were about to arrive at the dock, the alien troops assaulted the planet's surface and their car was engulfed in an explosion. When he regained consciousness, Maurice discovered that he had been carried aboard the White Whale, but neither his colleagues nor the president were anywhere to be found. Because he had received medical treatment inside the ship, he had ended up embarking on the journey awake even though he wasn't part of the piloting crew.
At first, he was tormented by guilt and his own powerlessness, but the two-year journey gave him the time to pull himself together. It was clear that he could no longer work as a presidential aide.
(But someone has to make her and the president's ideals take root in the new world - perhaps I was spared to play that part...)
Maurice mingled among the crew and preached his own ideology, sometimes he acted as an arbitrator and resolved disputes. Eventually, he built up a base of followers separate from the ship's chain of command.
(Mira Torres... I swear I'll carry out your dying wish)
She had been a protestant clergywoman, a teacher and a scientist. When the alien threat to the existence of humanity loomed overhead, she had been one of the people making efforts to draft a plan to save the life-forms born on Earth. No, that isn't quite accurate; while she had been just one of many committee members working on the project to relocate all Earth-born species, she had without a doubt been the emotional pillar that held it from collapsing.
Among the members expert assembly, who were practically the reserve committee, Mira alone stood out. National interests, personal ideology, to what extent could they incorporate whatever they were advocating into the plan - those were the only concerns of most members. In their midst, only Mira made efforts to create a plan that would transcend the matters of race, nationality and religion. In a way, she wasn't actually looking out for the interests of humanity - her aim was to also preserve every other species that had developed on Earth.
Without Mira as its banner, the emigration plan might never have gained as much support as it did. Though she represented the civilian population, she managed to win over the sympathies of the military as well. And then, when the departure of the White Whale was imminent, she declined to board it, headed towards the city under alien assault and disappeared into the flames...
Maurice looked up to Mira, but there were things about her he couldn't understand. They would certainly need an unifying force like her in the new world, so why had she refused to board the colony ship?
(The fact of the matter is that she didn't come to this planet with us. Therefore, someone else has to carry out her dying wish...)

Despite his resolve, he wouldn't be able to complete his mission if he didn't survive. Pursued by the flames and the Overed, Maurice stumbled to get away. This was not the time to look dignified; if he died now he would leave no legacy.
While heading towards rocky mountains where the rest of the crew had fled, he twisted his foot and fell hard to the ground. He must've hit his knee, as the intense pain prevented him from standing up. As he lay on the ground, a shadow fell over him.
The huge Overed stood over him, blocking the light of the planet's star.
"Aah, aaaahhh..."
Maurice let out a terrified groan. Surviving the Earth beset by alien invaders, gathering supporters on the colony ship for two years - it seemed that everything he had accomplished would amount to nothing.
Suddenly, there was a loud boom. Maurice turned to look at the source of the noise, as did the Overed. It seemed that someone had triggered an explosive.
"Hey, you huge- uhh, I don't know your name, so let's just call you Mr. Whatever! If you're gonna fight someone, fight me!"
She sounded like a young girl. No, she didn't just sound like one, judging by her appearance she was in her early teens.
"Lynlee Coo, if memory serves..."
Maurice recognized the girl, a child genius who worked as a mechanic despite her young age. Remembering people's names and faces was an essential skill for a politician.
Lyn was trying to draw the Overed's attention with an assortment of equipment. She had probably pilfered it from the blazing wreckage - that sounded like something a skilled mechanic like Lyn would do.
"Well then, please come this way, Mr. Whatever!"
It's unwise to judge age and strength based on outward appearances alone, but Maurice couldn't help but shout.
"Miss Coo, please escape! A child shouldn't sacrifice herself for an adult!"
"My age has nothing to do with this! Whoever can run is the decoy - it's only logical!"
Lyn shouted back to Maurice, who was still lying on the ground. The Overed moved towards her as if it had understood her taunts.
"Woah woah woah, it's actually coming-!"
Lyn began to run in order to draw the Overed away from Maurice - she moved in a zig-zag pattern as if trying to charm the enemy.
"I can at least do this-"
Maurice crawled for his life. Earlier, in the midst of his escape, he had seen a communicator that someone had dropped. If he could get his hands on it, he could call for help. If there was someone within the communication range, he had to alert them and even if there was no-one, he couldn't just lay down and wait.
Maurice crawled, tearing his expensive suit to shreds in the process. At last, he obtained the communicator. With shaking fingers, excruciatingly slowly, he opened the channel.
"P-please, anyone-"
Maurice pleaded frantically, but the voice of his savior was unexpectedly clear - in other words, he was nearby.
"This is team Testament, we hear you loud and clear, Mr. aide"
The voice was shortly followed by a thunderous roar and a tremor. They didn't come from the communicator. Maurice looked towards the direction of the sound and saw the four machines of Nagi's Doll unit.

The fighting strength of expertly piloted Dolls was a sight to behold. They surrounded the giant beast that had been chasing Lyn and swiftly shot its head off, dominating the battle with ease.
Safe from the monster, Lyn, Maurice and the crew members who had fled for the rocky mountains assembled around the Doll squad. Nagi and his team brought their machines to a halt and dropped down to the ground.
"Thank you very much for the rescue!"
Lyn's cheerful voice was accompanied by a courteous bow. Then, before Nagi even had a chance to reply, she headed to the Dolls.
"Ooohh, that's an AD0150 Formula.ST, right? I thought it was an AD0130 at first, but as soon as it got close I could tell from the sound of its footsteps!"
She rambled on while picking out pebbles that had gotten stuck in the ankle servomotor in Doug's Doll's right leg.
"Looks like she's a mechanic through and through"
"Yes, sir, she doesn't just tinker with machines because it's her job, she's the type that can't help but get excited by just being near them. Pretty unusual for a girl her age"
Nagi and Doug laughed together, but Lyn didn't even notice as she moved on to inspect the next robot.
"Captain Nagi, I presume. Allow me to offer my thanks for saving my life"
Maurice approached them, leaning onto the shoulder of a young man who had been nearby.
"No, I'll have to offer my apology for being late. I'm glad you're safe, Mr. Chausson"
"To be frank, I don't believe I quite have a grasp on our situation. What is this place? What in the world happened to the White Whale?"
The question reminded Nagi of when the alien bioweapons were raiding the ship. Irritated by Maurice's demands for an explanation, he had closed the comm channel. Perhaps that incident had been a bit unfortunate.
Nagi explained the situation as it was. The biomechanical weapons invading the White Whale had been repelled, but the hull had sustained damage. Afterwards, an unknown planet had caught them in its gravity field had they crashed on the surface. In the process, the hull broke apart and the pieces dispersed in all directions.
"The residential section landed safely and we're currently using it as a base of operations while we search for the scattered crew and remains of the White Whale. I'm currently in charge-"
"I see, would you mind if I went there- to the residential section?"
"Not at all, we're gathering all the survivors there. I can't really call the place very cozy, though..."
"What do you mean?"
Nagi explained that the section was currently suffering from an energy shortage, so they couldn't maintain proper city services, and that since the outer shell deployment function was broken they couldn't stop outside invaders.
"Even so, it's far preferable to camping in the wilderness"
"Umm..."
Nagi and Maurice both turned to look towards the source of the hesitant voice. The tip of her nose was black, probably because she had scratched it after tinkering with a Doll's internals. Looking nervous, Lyn spoke timidly.
"If you're having problems with energy, I might be able to help..."
"What? Really?"
"Yeah, I saw it. It fell on the other side of those mountains to the south - I mean, the White Whale's main DM engine..."

To be continued...

*Translation note: the original says here that Nagi established Interceptor, but I'm assuming that that's just a slip-up since according to everything else he's leading Testament.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Subs are out for the doll stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSE_l9baH2w

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love how goofy it looks when you and your party are running around in the un-transformed mechs. :allears:

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I love how goofy it looks when you and your party are running around in the un-transformed mechs. :allears:

Side Quests: Do I need to do them to stay appropriately leveled enough to do story quests? Or can I ignore most or even all of them?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ffffuck i hope this game's good because this trailer's really got me itching

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Radio Talmudist posted:

Side Quests: Do I need to do them to stay appropriately leveled enough to do story quests? Or can I ignore most or even all of them?

Oh no, you definitely don't need to do all of them! If you do all of them you will end up grossly overlevelled and steamroll everything. Plus you'll get burned out quickly.

Best way to handle sidequests is go through an area, talk to quest givers, and pick up a bunch of quests. Then go wander around and kill things and collect shinies on your way to your next story objective. You'll complete a fair few of the "kill this" or "collect that" quests that way. If you find yourself falling behind in levels, go pick up some more quests. In Xenoblade, one or two levels make a huge difference,, so it's easy to catch up if you fall a bit behind.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yes, you need to do some of them. I ran into an issue where I was doing all the quests, burned out around Alcamoth, and then went through the story avoiding quests. Around the time I had to get into Prison Island I couldn't fight the mobs effectively anymore. I really need to pick the game up again.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Radio Talmudist posted:

In regular Xenoblade? You can ignore sidequests or do them minimally if you like. Experience from enemy kills has a rubber-banding effect - if you're overleveled you'll get less experience from kills, and if you're underleveled you'll get more. So if you don't want to sidequest you should be fine just running through and killing enemies as you pass. If you skip sidequests and fight as little as possible, then yes you'll be progressively underleveled: the rubber-banding effect isn't that strong.

And if you find yourself a little underleveled for bosses anyway even after killing most enemies you pass, you can either a. adjust your party/strategy (this will usually work) or b. grind some levels by going back to those sidequests or simply spending 30 minutes doing a lap of local enemies.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Additionally, regular "collect y of x" and "kill a of b" quests don't tend to actually hand out experience points, just money and the occasional prize, so doing some of those will give you an excuse to get a level or two as well as giving you the money to pick up any nice gear or Arts manuals you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

ffffuck i hope this game's good because this trailer's really got me itching

you guys that're worried that the game's not going to have any setpiece crazy poo poo, this last trailer ends with an all-out war starting between LA and a bunch of aliens. with crazy gently caress-off robots on each side. if that doesn't get you hyped you've got a soul made out of week-old compost

• Locked thread