Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

pakman posted:

So I've had this game for a few weeks now, and I don't like the way I deal with the starting connection. I have used this basic starting structure for all of my cities so far:

There has to be a better way to do this.
I haven't found a reason to use anything but this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I have a 6 lane ring road on the main island in my current city and cims seem to use most of the lanes pretty effectively

Of course this offramp backs up literally off the ramp but it clogs the middle lane so I'm thinking left exits might be needed if I expand to the north of my highway trunk

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Supraluminal posted:

Everyone getting on the highway there wanting to get in the left lane means they want to take the next left turn... which looks like the U-turn way the hell down the road... which means you desperately need bridges over the highway so people can get on going in the opposite direction. That's a key part of frontage roads, you have to connect the two sides periodically by over/underpass so traffic can make "left" turns onto the further side of the highway in a reasonable fashion.

Ah that makes sense and would explain why the rest of my highways, which are raised highways with texas style U turns don't have the same problem. Thanks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

rscott posted:

Of course this offramp backs up literally off the ramp but it clogs the middle lane so I'm thinking left exits might be needed if I expand to the north of my highway trunk

You should probably delete the rollercoaster leading from the offramp to the 6 lane avenue and just replace the offramp with highway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Argh, at about 11:45 in this video the guy demonstrates a mod that lets you convert roads to one-way ones by dragging in the direction you want to go. I need that mod, but the link he put in the description is wrong. :negative:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

zedprime posted:

Between this and the six-way interchange, clearly need to step up my multi-layer offramp game. So beautiful.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

WarLocke posted:

Argh, at about 11:45 in this video the guy demonstrates a mod that lets you convert roads to one-way ones by dragging in the direction you want to go. I need that mod, but the link he put in the description is wrong. :negative:

Here you go.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Awesome, thanks.

Another dumb question: How exactly do water towers work? They seem to just provide water after you plonk them down, no need for a line to an outside source? Can you make do with just towers and sewage outlets, no water pumps?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

WarLocke posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Another dumb question: How exactly do water towers work? They seem to just provide water after you plonk them down, no need for a line to an outside source? Can you make do with just towers and sewage outlets, no water pumps?

yes, but don't plant them in ground pollution because they can poison your whole city

Jintor
May 19, 2014

rscott posted:

Cities: Skylines - There's A Long Line Of Cars, And It's All Because Of You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3wFxuuG-y0

I wanted to give this post some recognition because I chuckled.

Regarding feedback problems with traffic taking congestion into account, would that also cause problems with emergency vehicles if traffic was to react like they would to actual emergency vehicles (get out of the way, let emergency vehicles run red lights etc)?

Hoping for Skylines Rush Hour or whatever at some point

WarLocke posted:

they patched that into the base game two patches ago, I think. Just upgrade the road with the upgrade button (from 2-way to 1-way or vice versa) and right click with the upgrade button to change direction of one-way roads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you use to generate?

I've been dorking around with world machine and coaxing random numbers to do what I want is just about the most frustrating thing I've ever attempted. It's like getting 50% of what I want is easy and it goes downhill from there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

xzzy posted:

What do you use to generate?

I've been dorking around with world machine and coaxing random numbers to do what I want is just about the most frustrating thing I've ever attempted. It's like getting 50% of what I want is easy and it goes downhill from there.

I use terrain.party to grab real world height maps, then use Photoshop to stitch them together/adjust height on a large scale. Sometimes I also use it to make sharp terrain like mountain peaks, which is how I got a lot of the detail on that China themed map I made. If I actually cared about realism I would also probably be running the heightmaps through Wilbur as well so as to get realistic drainage patterns (this would make the mountains look more defined). Once I have the basic gist of the map done in Photoshop I switch over to using the in game editor to make finer adjustments.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
My nightmarish war against the fiendish feces is never-ending: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422524361

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Insomnia fuel - I just keep coming back to this idea.

Nothing but one-ways. The in/out highways, then all of the cardinal (highway exit being 'north') spokes are out and the diagonal spokes are in. The rings alternate clockwise and counter-clockwise.

I'll probably die to mass poop blockage before I get there but the idea is to have nothing but skyscrapers surrounding something big like an OCP building ploppable.

Has anyone made a mod to make things look dark and overcast like some dystopian Blade Runner-esque future? :getin:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

WarLocke posted:

Has anyone made a mod to make things look dark and overcast like some dystopian Blade Runner-esque future? :getin:

I don't have links, but there's Chewbot's The Future! color correction, a noir-y one, a thunderstorm one that's pretty foreboding, and a Mirror's Edge one.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

If they used lanes intelligently it wouldn't actually be a test of any sort. Also your computer would catch on fire. If your traffic breaks because a truck, ambulance, police car, or fire car pauses for 10 seconds you have things you can fix in your network.

Whether it would be a test or not is a matter of balancing. Put more traffic on the roads and don't despawn stuck vehicles, and then losing a lane becomes a challenge even with smart lane usage.

You're right that major improvements to lane usage might be too hard on the CPU, but I wonder if there aren't a few tricks that could be done to improve at least certain behaviors. For example, instead of having every car repath dynamically all the time (or every time it has to stop/slow down), have vehicles blocking traffic poll for vehicles in their lane within some maximum distance and trigger repathing just for them. You could even tweak the polling interval to limit the performance hit. So a stopped hearse might trigger a few dozen repath calls during the length of its stop that way, which seems reasonable? Maybe it could be made even faster by not doing a complete repath and limiting it to finding a way around the obstacle, though how practical that is probably depends greatly on how the pathing is done.

There's always stuff you can do to improve traffic flow, sure, but it's worth asking whether the problem as it's presented is reasonable and whether the solutions available are fun to implement. I don't care for the way they went about it in this case. Like, I know bigger roads aren't the solution to every problem, but what is this behavior supposed to be testing? It's not throughput, that's for sure. Mostly it's testing how good you are at gaming the (brainless) pathfinding.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013
This is my newest creation, only about 90k cims. I love trying to create low/medium density cities.

Don't mind the spaghetti interchanges, i made them in a hurry and haven't been bothered to make them not-rear end yet.

On the left side you can see Trashland, the most profitable corporation in the city. They rob me out of insane amounts of money to hoard my trash. I even gave them their own district. I'm not a corrupt mayor in anyway.

This entire side of the city is ugly as sin as it is home to my original industrial areas, but it works... for now. That roundabout just off the highway was my original starting location and the first thing I built in this city. Trashland is almost as old as the city itself. Again, I'm not a corrupt mayor in anyway and would never give in to corporate interests.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I decided to leave my game on normal speed overnight, just to see what would happen and hopefully accumulate some wealth.

My city population ended up increasing by 50% (from 40 up to 60k) before some mysterious catastrophe occurred that resulted in a complete civilization collapse until only 400 citizens were left. I have no idea what caused this chain of events as I had more than enough buffer room for my services to accommodate 60k people, but coming back to a literal ghost town was a little creepy.

Checking the statistics screen, the catastrophic collapse of civilization took a mere month after 2 years of continuous, prosperous growth :stare:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

probably your powerplant caught on fire or something, making all your pooptubes shut down and forcing festering feces in the faces of your fragile cims.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

Another patch another crippling performance problem out of nowhere. (I am going to blame the mods). How do I trouble shoot issues like this? Just install and reload for each mod / asset?
It's probably Traffic++. :v:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

crabrock posted:

probably your powerplant caught on fire or something, making all your pooptubes shut down and forcing festering feces in the faces of your fragile cims.

Nuclear Power Plant was still standing, but the massive depopulation combined with automatic bulldozing eventually broke the connection between the power plant and the sewage/water systems, leading to a catastrophic infrastructure failure. So I think you're on to something.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 10, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Poizen Jam posted:

I decided to leave my game on normal speed overnight, just to see what would happen and hopefully accumulate some wealth.

My city population ended up increasing by 50% (from 40 up to 60k) before some mysterious catastrophe occurred that resulted in a complete civilization collapse until only 400 citizens were left. I have no idea what caused this chain of events as I had more than enough buffer room for my services to accommodate 60k people, but coming back to a literal ghost town was a little creepy.

Checking the statistics screen, the catastrophic collapse of civilization took a mere month after 2 years of continuous, prosperous growth :stare:

Mad Cim: Beyond Skylines :black101:

Does anyone know why my residential electrical grid on the left extends far enough out that I can place a power line across the street, but the commercial grid on the right doesn't so I have to place the tower on prime zoning land? :argh:

Squaresville is coming along. I've replaced all of my polluting industry with office buildings, which just leaves the landfill and incinerators dumping crap into the ground. I'm thinking I'll extend that overpass crossing the highway and move them all into an industrial park over there. I'll need the space for solar power when I unlock it anyway.

My growth seems to be stagnating though. My pop is growing, but very slowly. I have almost no demand for anything but industrial, and my commercial buildings keep getting abandoned for lack of customers.

Thinking about buying the tile to the left and trying hydroelectric power, but goddamn dams are expensive.

I have no idea how you people get/manage 90k+ cities...

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Mad Cim: Beyond Skylines :black101:

Does anyone know why my residential electrical grid on the left extends far enough out that I can place a power line across the street, but the commercial grid on the right doesn't so I have to place the tower on prime zoning land? :argh:

Squaresville is coming along. I've replaced all of my polluting industry with office buildings, which just leaves the landfill and incinerators dumping crap into the ground. I'm thinking I'll extend that overpass crossing the highway and move them all into an industrial park over there. I'll need the space for solar power when I unlock it anyway.

My growth seems to be stagnating though. My pop is growing, but very slowly. I have almost no demand for anything but industrial, and my commercial buildings keep getting abandoned for lack of customers.

Thinking about buying the tile to the left and trying hydroelectric power, but goddamn dams are expensive.

I have no idea how you people get/manage 90k+ cities...

How is your commercial looking? They have to import all their goods, right?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Any tips on how to deal with the blue circled road in this screenshot? This is a closeup of my highway, I've got frontage roads going alongside it, and I made this ramp going across the highway so that residents could get to their homes without going the full length of the highway (note I've got traffic driving on the left). I added in another highway connection to the north (circled purple), but I'm still getting massive lines backing up onto the ramp.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

zedprime posted:

I feel like you "win" Cities:Skylines in the same way you "win" Kerbal Space Program- you make something as horrifying looking as possible while still fulfilling the desired function.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lady Gaza posted:

Any tips on how to deal with the blue circled road in this screenshot? This is a closeup of my highway, I've got frontage roads going alongside it, and I made this ramp going across the highway so that residents could get to their homes without going the full length of the highway (note I've got traffic driving on the left). I added in another highway connection to the north (circled purple), but I'm still getting massive lines backing up onto the ramp.

Is traffic actually backing up on that blue-circled ramp or is it just heavy? If it's not backing up it's not a problem.

I also don't see that purple-circled ramp as being an alternative to the blue-circled one. The purple seems to be an on-ramp to the highway, while the blue is an off-ramp.

Apart from that, you can try building your roads so they become light-less. Only some certain combinations of roads meeting at intersections are light-less, and those can be significantly more efficient than light-controlled ones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

How is your commercial looking? They have to import all their goods, right?

It's basically been the same size for the last 2ish game years. I've been slooowly converting it to high-density whenever there was demand, but I haven't even finished doing that.

I hadn't considered that they might need materials from capital-I Industry zoned buildings, that may be part of the problem. But a ton of them have the little icon popups specifically for 'not enough customers' and I'm not sure what's causing that (aside from possibly my low population growth, but I also don't know the cause of THAT).

Maybe when I make that industrial park I should zone some yellow in addition to just having the incinerators...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 10, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Here's my lights-less frontage road system:

The key point is that the roads leading into the zoned areas do not meet the frontage road together with the bridges crossing the highway. If they did that, it would generate light-controlled intersections, but when it's only one two-way road leading into an intersection with one 1-way going in and one 1-way going out, it becomes lights-less.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Lady Gaza posted:

The highway connection in purple isn't helping because it only has an on ramp to get on the highway. You need an off ramps for both highway lanes. Also even if that was an off ramp, it wouldn't make a difference because all your highway traffic is going West-East (top left corner to bottom right corner), so you would need the off ramp to be on the other side of the highway.

nielsm posted:

Here's my lights-less frontage road system:

The key point is that the roads leading into the zoned areas do not meet the frontage road together with the bridges crossing the highway. If they did that, it would generate light-controlled intersections, but when it's only one two-way road leading into an intersection with one 1-way going in and one 1-way going out, it becomes lights-less.

Just use the traffic lights toggle mod and you won't have to worry about what combination roads you need to intersect to avoid traffic lights.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 10, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Subyng posted:

Just use the traffic lights toggle mod and you won't have to worry about what combination roads you need to intersect to avoid traffic lights.

I'm avoiding mods that touch the traffic simulation/pathfinding, since it seems those currently have a bad risk breaking the game/your save.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Subyng posted:

The highway connection in purple isn't helping because it only has an on ramp to get on the highway. You need an off ramps for both highway lanes. Also even if that was an off ramp, it wouldn't make a difference because all your highway traffic is going West-East (top left corner to bottom right corner), so you would need the off ramp to be on the other side of the highway.

It's not the best screenshot but there is an offramp too, it's just that no-one is using it. I think it's because cars coming from the bottom-right highway connection is trying to get to the far left of the screen (where the majority of the residential buildings are), and the quickest route is to go down my 6-lane road and then take that connecting ramp, which gets backed up since it leads directly into small streets. If I remove that ramp and try and get the cars to enter the residential zone later, they instead go into my industrial section on the bottom right and clog up those roads. Everything I seem to do just moves the problem to a different section.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

nielsm posted:

I'm avoiding mods that touch the traffic simulation/pathfinding, since it seems those currently have a bad risk breaking the game/your save.

Switching them on is not the problem- using them and later removing those mods is the problem. The game doesn't really like it if you use the custom traffic light/turn lane mod and later try to load a game without those mods, so far as I can tell.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

This guy's "Industrial Coffee Filter" is ugly as hell but it seems like it actually controls traffic well, I might have to try something similar.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So why don't people move out of the way for emergency vehicles, and why don't emergency vehicles blast though redlights and stop signs?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

KakerMix posted:

So why don't people move out of the way for emergency vehicles, and why don't emergency vehicles blast though redlights and stop signs?

"That would make the game too easy!" I'm sure is the excuse people will say, but it's mostly just that CO didn't have time to implement stuff like that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Easier on the simulation if every car on the road obeyed the same rules maybe?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WarLocke posted:

Easier on the simulation if every car on the road obeyed the same rules maybe?

This is probably actually it. The game is already incredibly demanding at higher populations (my 4.4 OC'd 4670k slows down to 1x speed at about 150k population). If cars actually updated their paths that poo poo would destroy CPUs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supraluminal posted:

Mostly it's testing how good you are at gaming the (brainless) pathfinding.

I feel like other than the emergency vehicles not using sirens to blast their way through (which I agree should be a thing, definitely), this is kind of an exaggeration. I know people are bitching that service vehicles block roads and that people all pile into one lane unnecessarily but at the same time uh, have you guys lived in a big city?

Service vehicles and delivery trucks blocking traffic and people all lining up into one lane (even though the turn lane right next to them is empty) is pretty par for the course imo. Every day on my way home from work there's a freeway interchange that has two turning lanes going off the 78 onto the 5 south which converge into one onramp, and people all piling into one turn lane with the one next to them basically empty happens every day. I'm always bitching about it.

I'm not specifically accusing anyone but I feel like I see 'man this poo poo is stupid' coupled with a screenshot of a totally hosed traffic network all the time (more on other sites than on SA granted).

For what it's worth I very rarely have everyone all piled into one lane unless there's a reason for it - if everyone is all piled into the rightmost lane in a 6 lane road but that's because everyone is trying to get onto the one freeway onramp then that's pretty realistic behavior imo, except for the dicks who skip the line and try to merge in later.

I don't have service vehicles blocking traffic that often, either. It happens, but it isn't something that causes gridlock. If gridlock is happening something else is wrong. If your commercial is failing because goods aren't getting to them because poo poo is all locked up, your roads could be improved.

And more roads isn't always necessarily the right solution. If I've got a downtown section getting traffic-y a lot of the time just taking existing roads and turning them into a decently flowing 1 way street network helps a lot.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 10, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

people all pile into one lane unnecessarily

This can be annoying but IME it's not that hard to plan around.

I basically make almost all my roads two-lane. So cars split up the lanes based on how they're going to turn.

The few places where you have high volume you can take a six-lane and have it split into three two-lanes (middle lanes for straight, outside lanes for turning).

You can do the same thing on a smaller scale with four-lanes but I just don't like that median being there a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

This can be annoying but IME it's not that hard to plan around.

I basically make almost all my roads two-lane. So cars split up the lanes based on how they're going to turn.

The few places where you have high volume you can take a six-lane and have it split into three two-lanes (middle lanes for straight, outside lanes for turning).

You can do the same thing on a smaller scale with four-lanes but I just don't like that median being there a lot of the time.

Yeah I've done that before to manage a freeway/avenue interchange in a high density area; works well.