Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Watch all 600 episodes of Detective Conan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Watch all 600 episodes of Detective Conan.

All I know about Detective Conan is that everyone knows about it and there's a shitload of it. Is it closer to being the Dragonball of Mystery Anime or the Bleach of Mystery Anime?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not sure, I only watched the 150 or so episodes that got dubbed (the dub was really good besides the 'localization' stuff) but it didn't get old in that time. Can't speak for it now though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Are you looking for more episodic detective stuff, or general mystery? If the former, Un-Go and Heaven's Memo pad are both neat shows.

For the latter, Monster.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone got some good Mystery anime? The closer they come to channeling the Ace Attorney moment where the hero makes a key breakthrough/accusation and the really cool music kicks in, the better. Preferably something generally akin to Ace Attorney in tone - some seriousness isn't a problem, but I'm primarily looking for a fun mystery show.

P.S: I'm not abandoning my Katanagatari watchthrough/trip-report, for anyone who's waiting on more of that.

If you don't mind the mysteries being more on the mundane side of things, Hyouka is really good.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone got some good Mystery anime? The closer they come to channeling the Ace Attorney moment where the hero makes a key breakthrough/accusation and the really cool music kicks in, the better. Preferably something generally akin to Ace Attorney in tone - some seriousness isn't a problem, but I'm primarily looking for a fun mystery show.

P.S: I'm not abandoning my Katanagatari watchthrough/trip-report, for anyone who's waiting on more of that.

You can always try Neuro: Supernatural Detective/Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro. I found it a pretty fun read and watch.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ghost Hunt is exactly like that, but it's all about the supernatural. It's really, really good though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

All I know about Detective Conan is that everyone knows about it and there's a shitload of it. Is it closer to being the Dragonball of Mystery Anime or the Bleach of Mystery Anime?

I wrote this a while back in this thread. It's all still pertinent.

Nipponophile posted:

Watch Detective Conan. Watch all the Detective Conan. Aoyama Gosho subscribes to the classic mystery ideal of "show everything, make it fair for the readers". In manga format, this usually means a case is broken into three chapters: one for setup and exposition, one for investigation, and one for the final reveal. The anime adaptation usually splits the first two parts before the commercial break and the last part after.

I won't claim that every case is golden because there have been some clunkers over the years, but by and large the mysteries are both smart and fair. On several of them, I've had the experience of realizing the solution on my own just as the protagonists begin to explain it, which is about the best experience to be had with a mystery story.

Beyond the episodic mysteries, there is a supporting cast of dozens of well-developed, engaging characters who have their own stories and sub-plots running through the Conan universe. There's a reason it continues to be one of the highest-rated TV anime even after nearly two decades. There is something for everyone: kids like it because they get kids running around having adventures, adults like it because of the clever mystery gimmicks, girls like it for the romantic hijinks.

The major downside is that the "main" plotline won't get resolved until Gosho is ready to end the series, and maybe he gets hit by a bus or something before then. Despite that, it's not like things are standing still. There have been several significant developments to the main story over the years.

I would not hesitate to recommend Detective Conan to anyone, but to a mystery/suspense fan, it is an absolute must.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was a lot of fansubber bullshit floating around with initial From The New World translations -- the licensed subtitles are generally more accurate, or so I've read.

Never watched the show, but it's a Sentai Filmworks license so I can almost guarantee that the official subtitles are not good. Their releases (this includes crunchyroll streaming) in general are incredibly low quality and even botched in some extreme cases like Kids on the Slope where more than one episode is missing an entire audio channel.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 10, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

I wrote this a while back in this thread. It's all still pertinent.

Would you happen to know of a Best Of list for Conan or anything along those lines? It's a series I've been curious about but I'd rather start by getting the cream if the crop so to speak. 700+ episodes is a lot!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Srice posted:

Would you happen to know of a Best Of list for Conan or anything along those lines? It's a series I've been curious about but I'd rather start by getting the cream if the crop so to speak. 700+ episodes is a lot!

The Conan Wiki has a list of all the episodes with markings corresponding to what they represent in the storyline if that's any help. You'd still have to sort through 700+ episodes to find the ones you want though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm thinking more along the lines of really good episodes regardless of their connection to the main plot. Heck I'd be down for watching some of the movies too if there are some standout films among the billion movies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

That just boggles my mind. How many episodes do stuff like Naruto and Bleach have in comparison out of curiosity? They can't be more than 500-ish apiece?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That just boggles my mind. How many episodes do stuff like Naruto and Bleach have in comparison out of curiosity? They can't be more than 500-ish apiece?
if you put naruto and shippuden together, it's at 650.

bleach has 366 but it stopped airing in 2012

one piece has 692

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

if you put naruto and shippuden together, it's at 650.

bleach has 366 but it stopped airing in 2012

one piece has 692

Oh wow, I can't believe one of those three actually ended.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Naruto manga is also over, but it's gonna live on thru other stuff because he has a son named Boruto.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bleach's manga isn't over yet, they just stopped airing the anime because the way things were going they'd be in filler hell for three years. it's better to just end it, wait for the manga to finish its last arc, and then adapt it in like 50 episodes with no filler.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

bleach's manga isn't over yet, they just stopped airing the anime because the way things were going they'd be in filler hell for three years. it's better to just end it, wait for the manga to finish its last arc, and then adapt it in like 50 episodes with no filler.

Filler Hell never stopped them before! :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Srice posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of really good episodes regardless of their connection to the main plot. Heck I'd be down for watching some of the movies too if there are some standout films among the billion movies.

For the most part the movies are good, my favorite is probably the second one since it's a great combination of setting, characters, moderately important background info and a pretty good mystery on top of it.

EDIT: The eighth one is also pretty great since it's about Conan's rival and him and his girlfriend are the best.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 10, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Filler Hell never stopped them before! :v:

I binged watched at least 2/3 of the series and I was astounded that in the middle of an arc they jumped to past/future and did an entirely new arc for 20 episodes and then jumped back to the original arc like nothing had ever happened.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Srice posted:

I don't really know of anything like that, and my memory's a bit too rusty to recall most episode numbers or names. I'd at least start with the first 5 episodes. They introduce the setting and core characters and will give you a good idea for the feel of the show. Outside of that, my single favorite episode is 304: 12 Million Hostages, which is essentially a movie since it was broadcast as a 2 hour special. It has a lot of development for some of the supporting cast, but works fine as a standalone story.

Other than that, that wiki list would be a good resource. I'd say you can safely skip anything marked "TV Original", as the writing on those can be subpar. Anything with the Black Organization icon is a must view. In general, cases that run as multiple episodes or extended specials are worth watching.

If I remember any other standouts, I'll post them, but it seems I'm due for a Conan rewatching myself.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Also watch a few of the early episodes with the dub on, it was actually a pretty good dub, apart from them not being able to decide if they were Japanese or Canadian.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cool, cheers for the recs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Also watch a few of the early episodes with the dub on, it was actually a pretty good dub, apart from them not being able to decide if they were Japanese or Canadian.

The detective (I don't know his JP name)'s VA work was absolutely top notch and I tried watching the sub once I ran out of dub episodes and I couldn't stand the dudes original voice at all.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Anyone know something that's similar to "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU"?
I like the main character who is a really clever outcast/loner.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The_Frag_Man posted:

Anyone know something that's similar to "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU"?
I like the main character who is a really clever outcast/loner.

Hyouka and Haruhi if you want your typical loner main character.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Great thanks. I haven't seen either yet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What are your opinions of No Game No Life?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

Good: Really neat ideas and really colorful.

Bad: Totally-not-incest, totally-not-naked-11-year-old-girls, other dumb stuff

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Drifter posted:

Allarion posted:

It has a lot of good ideas, but it's also tainted by a lot of creepy ideas so it's always gonna be heavily divisive. The story could be building up to some rebuttal on those ideas, but I'm probably giving the writer too much credit.

I can not easily recommend it for those reasons. I said way back before it premiered that I had mixed feelings on NGNL, and that's still true today. I didn't keep up with the series so I have no idea if it ever followed up on certain plot threads, and I know the anime doesn't because it only goes up to volume 3 so it only hints at the main dude's backstory.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's trash

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What sayeth the hive-mind with regard to Detective Conan's dub v sub? I'm halfway through the first episode and so far the dub is very....ninties Anime dub. Not terrible, but it's got some really flat moments and weird inflections. Should I stick with it?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Considering iirc the dub only covers a small portion of the actual show you might consider going to subs unless you are normally dub only.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

What sayeth the hive-mind with regard to Detective Conan's dub v sub? I'm halfway through the first episode and so far the dub is very....ninties Anime dub. Not terrible, but it's got some really flat moments and weird inflections. Should I stick with it?

Personally I really like the dub, it's probably one of Funimation's best early works, and the central 4 actors are all pretty great once they really settle into their roles.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just started episode 2. Man, I knew it was coming, but I am not digging lil' detective's design - or the whole 'revert to childhood' gimmick in general. He never gets cured/ages out of that, right? Hopefully I'll warm up to it.

Edit: I will say, I'd watched a few episodes ages and ages ago - maybe back in grade school - and I remembered the older, lovely detective just as...well, lovely. Nice to see him pick up on a clue and run with it a bit when Conan drops a hint, even if he obviously isn't taking it all the way. I hope they keep doing that.

Edit 2: Okay, letting Rachel beat the living manshit out of the perp when Jimmy/Conan (Goddammit what do I call him) finds him is a good step towards redeeming the whole child-potion gimmick. I hope we get a lot more of that.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 12, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

So uh... what's a bad anime that a lot of people find morally outraging or just terrible. I feel like hate watching something for shits and giggles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

littleorv posted:

So uh... what's a bad anime that a lot of people find morally outraging or just terrible. I feel like hate watching something for shits and giggles.

Go see how much Cross Ange you can watch before you despise everyone who had a hand in making it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alright, Episode 2 helped win me over. Onwards to episode 3. The dub seems to be getting a bit better as we go, and the mysteries are fun so far. I will say, aside from hoping Rachel gets to go all Fist of the North Star on lots of crooks, I really hope they find out who Conan is sooner or later. If the formula stays anywhere close to what I remember from the episodes I caught way back when, it'll be hard to stop me from putting my head through a table if they haven't started suspecting something by 25 episodes, let alone a hundred.

Edit: GODDAMMIT CONAN STOP DETECTIVING IN FRONT OF EVERYONE GODDAMN PEOPLE BETTER CATCH ON TO THIS poo poo BEFORE TOO LONG

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 12, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

watch something good instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i recommend chihayafuru

• Locked thread