Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Listen, man. You buy GW products. Is throwing money away on cereal you're not going to eat really that big a deal?

Think of it as basing material. Get one of the fibery ones. I'm pretty sure they're not biodegradable.

But don't get a sugary brand. Because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0GYSA1POs

I hear Grape Nuts makes amazing rubble and ballast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Listen, man. You buy GW products. Is throwing money away on cereal you're not going to eat really that big a deal?

Think of it as basing material. Get one of the fibery ones. I'm pretty sure they're not biodegradable.

But don't get a sugary brand. Because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0GYSA1POs

Haha, I haven't bought a GW product in years. All my poo poo is old school, yo - my Chimeras have rubber tracks and my Hellhounds are partially metal. Put my IG in a sock and you could kill a man with it, unlike these kids today and their plastic "Astra Militarum" crap.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've used Spaz Stix paints and paint Lexan/polycarbonate bodies all the time, the plastic is used to make radio controlled car bodies. Badger, Tamiya and a few other companies make special paint for polycarbonate plastic because it it needs to be a very specific type of paint to bind with the plastic. Spaz Stix works really well for chrome effects but I haven't tried it on anything else.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

signalnoise posted:

I hear Grape Nuts makes amazing rubble and ballast

They make for good basing outside of your toilet, too!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
What are these rubber Chimera tracks people speak of? What is this madness? Where can I buy them?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

IG Tanks used to have a generic Track Sprue cast in black plastic which were used by both Chimera and Leman Russ (plus variants of both), maybe those ones? I don't recall there ever being actual rubber tracks though.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Hollismason posted:

What is Lexan Plastic, I mean I've read the wiki and understand it's a type of plastic but this manufacturer of paints is not forthcoming on what the hell " Specially formulated for Lexon Plastics" means.

This is the product:

http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/spazpaintmirror-chrome-s/1700.htm

If anyone has ever used Spaz Stix paint , please let me know. It seems it's a alternative to Alclad 2.

http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/glossary/g/lexan.htm
http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/bodymods/tp/Painting-An-RC-FAQ.htm

It is a lightweight, strong, clear, flexible plastic that is often used for the bodies of RC cars. It is transparent, so the paint is actually put on the inside of the body, rather than the outside. This protects the paint job as well as making it look like a real polished body.
The special formula is probably referring to either the paints ability to be flexible after it dries (the bodies tend to bend and flex a lot, given the frequent crash nature of RC cars, so a brittle paint would chip and flake off easily) or the fact that it can be applied directly to the plastic without requiring a primer (which makes sense if you think about the fact that the paint goes on the inside of the body instead of the outside)

I'm not sure how well it might translate to miniature use. Last time I painted up an RC car (admittedly it was +10 years ago) I seem to recall the paint being fairly thick and dense, so you might struggle if you need to get fine detail with it. I don't know about that particular brand though

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

IG Tanks used to have a generic Track Sprue cast in black plastic which were used by both Chimera and Leman Russ (plus variants of both), maybe those ones? I don't recall there ever being actual rubber tracks though.

Haha, whoops. You are correct - it has been so long since I've actually opened the boxes that I I was remembering the black tracks and conflating them with some older tank models I own with rubber tracks. They are, in fact, hard plastic.

I will stand by the fact that they are still old school. :colbert:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Totally old school, and also totally a pain in the rear end to fit without a misalignment somewhere :)

The new versions gain in convenience what they lose in having a ton of spare tank wheels and tracks...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Zark the Damned posted:

Totally old school, and also totally a pain in the rear end to fit without a misalignment somewhere :)

So they're like real tank tracks, then.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Straight paintin' bases from the hotel room suckas

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

signalnoise posted:

Ha, I know some of those bases.

...and I'm struggling to remember when I sold those to you.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Ha, I know some of those bases.

...and I'm struggling to remember when I sold those to you.

Months ago, I bought everything you had!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

signalnoise posted:

Months ago, I bought everything you had!

That was probably when I also sold a bunch of barrels to I think Iris of Ether, so I think I just forgot.

I've sold a bunch of poo poo to goons, it all blends together.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Thanks for the tips on the paints, I was apprehensive, but I went ahead and ordered some Alclad 2 stuff and the opulescents from Createx that I wanted to try out, didn't spend to much....

Also, order required rebreather as has been suggested just in case.

Okay I lied I may have spent a bit.

Here's to my roommate hating my guts if my ventilation system doesn't work!

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Here are some WIP shots of the scheme I think I'll be using on my Wraiths. I don't know what to do with all the "cyber" looking inlay details (the lines and circles), though. Suggestions?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's some excellent mottling on the blue, makes me wonder why I haven't seen anything like that before! It really helps add another layer of detail to the Necron aesthetic.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

signalnoise posted:

Those splatter effects make my hotelier sphincter tighten

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Four Slag Trolls! I am going to use pigments to make the rust look rustier, but I am very happy with where they are now.

Compared to three years ago, where rust was metal and red pigment.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 9, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

PyroDwarf posted:

Here are some WIP shots of the scheme I think I'll be using on my Wraiths. I don't know what to do with all the "cyber" looking inlay details (the lines and circles), though. Suggestions?

Alternating black and white stone/ceramic/porcelain IMO.

Or alternately run some gloss sealer over the white/black and make it look like a plastic.

Chinese green granite could be an interesting counterpoint. Also would break up the 'techy' look of the robot parts.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...htm%3B550%3B550

At that scale, you'd probably be stippling a bunch, and then running a couple passes of black ink over it to really darken the recesses.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Slimnoid posted:

That was probably when I also sold a bunch of barrels to I think Iris of Ether, so I think I just forgot.

I've sold a bunch of poo poo to goons, it all blends together.

One of my Kickstarters included a bunch of HDF shanty shacks, and a friend gave me a baggie of plaster-cast piping that someone gave him at Gen Con, so I really need to pull all this stuff out and get my slum-modeling on. :D

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

PyroDwarf posted:

Even though I'm going in a different direction with Alclad 2 and some other metalizers I still have this stuff and am pretty happy with the results. I think your model is awesome looking and would look cool with this applied ( You can't use a varnish on it before using this stuff as this stuff acts pretty much like a sealer)

It'd look cool as hell to be all chromed up.

How did you do the mottle effect?

http://www.c1-models.com/c1-metalizer/

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

What up hotel room painter bro. Totally hope I don't get the police called on me when I spray prime in the back of the building.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LordAba posted:

What up hotel room painter bro. Totally hope I don't get the police called on me when I spray prime in the back of the building.

What is your paint/supplies and mini-in-progress transportation and prep solution?

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

Hollismason posted:

How did you do the mottle effect?

I base coat that teal/turquoise color. Then, I put a drop of that color next to a drop of white and just barely mix them with a drop or two of water. I do this so that the color is not uniform. I apply with a small piece of foamy sponge. Make sure there isn't too much paint on the sponge and tap lightly on the model. Then I mix the white in more thoroughly and do another pass.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone is interested in learning some advanced techniques, such as pin washes, chipping, and weathering, I stumbled on a video by Mig Jimenez here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPH1BM4e_Q Looks like it has some good explanations of some of the tricks to bring your painting to the next level.

EDIT: I don't know why the gently caress I can't get that video to start at 0:00. Just rewind to the beginning.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 10, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

If anyone is interested in learning some advanced techniques, such as pin washes, chipping, and weathering, I stumbled on a video by Mig Jimenez here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPH1BM4e_Q Looks like it has some good explanations of some of the tricks to bring your painting to the next level.

EDIT: I don't know why the gently caress I can't get that video to start at 0:00. Just rewind to the beginning.

That music is to ominous for a painting instructional video, that said excellent video. Also it started at 0:00 for me.

People open this up the music intro is insane.

What the gently caress is up with the music in this video

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 10, 2015

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Warmachine/Hordes painting crossposte

Raluk Moorclaw and his lil' jack marshalled Buccaneer buddy.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Hollismason posted:

That music is to ominous for a painting instructional video, that said excellent video. Also it started at 0:00 for me.

Painting is serious business.

On a completely unrelated note, where do I get GWs shining gold these days?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Cross post from oath thread. Three 10mm mumakil and a 10mm thranduil on elk that I converted from a eureka model.

Pics aren't the best but I won't get a light box set up till I move this summer after I move probably. I might redo the supports for the top level of the howdah. The height is ok but they are a little off, and even though it fits fine for 10mm figures it still feels a little too tall.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

berzerkmonkey posted:

Phone posting but I'm pretty sure this is in the OP already (one of the Vallejo videos is anyway), but I'd welcome any video/blog tutorials you guys think should be in the OP!

Also youtube saves where you've last watched a video, so that may be why whenever you go back to it, it's where you last stopped watching.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

krushgroove posted:

Phone posting but I'm pretty sure this is in the OP already (one of the Vallejo videos is anyway), but I'd welcome any video/blog tutorials you guys think should be in the OP!

Also youtube saves where you've last watched a video, so that may be why whenever you go back to it, it's where you last stopped watching.

This guy does some great stuff, a bit of what he does is really dependent on how fine he can get with his 300 dollar airbrush but not that much. This is also I think the ONLY good video tutorial that exists for shading with pigments (there is one from MWG IIRC but it's loving awful and looks like poo poo). It's also a great intro into new painters trying to break out of the GW mold where you only shade a color with the darker version of that color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HjkO44H-AU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

DJ Dizzy posted:

http://www.coatdarms.com/online_shop/index.php?cPath=21_39&products_id=40

Scroll down, product no. 107 - Bright Gold

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Which one? I've got two from different generations that I use as entirely separate colors :wtc:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This guy does some great stuff, a bit of what he does is really dependent on how fine he can get with his 300 dollar airbrush but not that much. This is also I think the ONLY good video tutorial that exists for shading with pigments (there is one from MWG IIRC but it's loving awful and looks like poo poo). It's also a great intro into new painters trying to break out of the GW mold where you only shade a color with the darker version of that color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HjkO44H-AU

The Les Bursely/Awesomepaintjob video about Avatar Seamus from Malifaux also uses pigment for flesh shading. Same pigment, even.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Warmachine/Hordes painting crossposte

Raluk Moorclaw and his lil' jack marshalled Buccaneer buddy.

Great work on these dudes; the Troll has a shitload of character, and I don't see worn out/rusty 'jacks that often.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

Great work on these dudes; the Troll has a shitload of character, and I don't see worn out/rusty 'jacks that often.

Yup, those are cool. All of your stuff rules

Time for a big group shot me thinks..

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Psh, that's nothing. Fast forward to 50:00 and listen to the techno remix of the painting instructions.

krushgroove posted:

You are correct - I was not aware that you had already posted it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

berzerkmonkey posted:

You are correct - I was not aware that you had already posted it.

No worries! I don't want anyone to think the OP is static, it's got some improvements & additions coming but there are lots of questions that could be answered by going through the OP. I suppose it's more pitched at people coming back to the hobby though, so it's easy to understand stuff getting reposted though. I am adding cool things that folks post, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Thanks man. It was nice to bring in some old 40k painting techniques. You should track down PV's cygnar models- they are super worn/weathered and look really dope.

Skarsnik posted:

Yup, those are cool. All of your stuff rules

Time for a big group shot me thinks..

Thanks dude. Your fantasy tentacle man was super legit btw.

I'm pretty busy for the immediate future but I would like to do a big group shot. I will keep that in mind for sure.