Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

DIablo (1) was directly inspired by Nethack, so pretty much a Rogue-like game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

doctorfrog posted:

I remember reading a great article about Nethack in like 1999 or so that leveraged common knowledge of Diablo to say, "hey, there's this precursor to Diablo that you should at least try out," and I was thus introduced to the world of roguelikes, and the bigger names around then.

It was pretty quiet for a while, and I played them on and off, then in 2008 Spelunky (freeware version) either helped create the genre blend or just heralded the recognition of the strength of roguelike attributes, and "procedurally generated" and "roguelike elements" were being talked about in games that weren't ADOM or Diablo.

And it's pretty great! Some good-rear end games are coming out with some of the best attributes of the classic roguelike genre (and many very terrible ones as well that don't fit the definition I hold inside my brain, but I'll survive).

I dunno, I think genre discussions are fun for about 20 or so posts, every 500 posts or so. Sound fair?

Space Beast Terror Fright got its Greenlight, and I'm definitely not dropping $15 on it unless it's got a campaign mode and fully fleshed out co-op multi, but does anyone know if it supports inverted freaking mouse yet???

edit: here that article is: http://www.salon.com/2000/01/27/nethack/

SBTF looks really fun, but I really, really want it to (ultimately) have more items, weapons, and enemies...and I'm not sure if it will.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Partly the level design, partly the gameplay, and partly the atmosphere, but I'd say that while I absolutely feel like Diablo is a roguelike (or a roguelike-like) that Diablo 2 kind of isn't.

I dunno. I see Dablo games as existing as sort of a spectrum with Rogue/Nethack on one end, and Gauntlet on the other.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Historically, Diablo is hewn far moreso from the ancient rock that is Angband moreso than Nethack.

Diablo 2 did indeed go in a different direction as opposed to more of a Angband->-Classic ToME or some such progression in terms of opening up the world and cranking all the dials to 11.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Historically, Diablo is hewn far moreso from the ancient rock that is Angband moreso than Nethack.

Thanks, I was going to say this. Both games have a town with shops and services sitting on top of a tall, basically linear dungeon, a boss at the bottom, and an exclusive focus on combat and loot.

Alternately, Diablo could have been based on Moria (Angband is basically Moria dialed up to 11), but even back then Moria was fading into the mists of obscurity, so Angband is a rather more likely inspiration.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Are there any good roguelikes that allow you to manage a party of adventurers?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Well, Etrian Mystery Dungeon just came out for 3DS, though I haven't played it myself. It's pretty decent from what I've heard.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is your av from a game

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Nitpick: XCOM:EU doesn't have random map generation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dross posted:

Nitpick: XCOM:EU doesn't have random map generation.

Don't they vary some each time, along with enemy placement and such? That would be enough for me, It's certainly random when missions come and what map you get on a given mission. Fair enough if it's more fixed than I realized, they fooled me.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The map pool is pretty big and each one has a few starting locations, but yeah, they're premade.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Awesome! posted:

is your av from a game

Nah, from a tileset:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8970.0

Which has been used as a starter set for other games, like:
http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So I decided to try out cataclysm DDA since its been years since I last played... Are any of the tilesets in the options any good? They look mostly not good and the default ASCII one is significantly zoomed out, even at the most zoomed in setting.

EDIT: Solved the lighting problem. I'm dumb.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 11, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The larger "retro" one is pretty good. Minimal, fairly clear, and a decent size. You can easily tell all the zombie types apart, which is good.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Retro Days tileset is about the only good one in the bunch honestly. It's actually one of the nicer tilesets I've ever played with in any roguelike.

There's also a dedicated thread for cata if you want to check that out. You might have better luck there if you ever need something answered.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553436

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I notice that CoQ doesn't have Steamworks bolted onto it (thank you), so I can shove it on a flash drive, but is there a way to get it to stay in its folder instead of using profile folders? Just looking for some pocket CoQ, thanks.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I notice that CoQ doesn't have Steamworks bolted onto it (thank you), so I can shove it on a flash drive, but is there a way to get it to stay in its folder instead of using profile folders? Just looking for some pocket CoQ, thanks.

Yeah it's steamworks integrated but it doest try to restart itself to force steamworks to launch if it's not connected on startup. I can add add a toggle to switch the save path to exe local.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unormal posted:

Yeah it's steamworks integrated but it doest try to restart itself to force steamworks to launch if it's not connected on startup. I can add add a toggle to switch the save path to exe local.

That'd be really great, thanks. I'm not sure how you feel about DRM as a developer, so I thank you if this takes you down a slightly uneasy path.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

That'd be really great, thanks. I'm not sure how you feel about DRM as a developer, so I thank you if this takes you down a slightly uneasy path.

I'm not stridently against it, though I think in most cases it's a super dumb waste of time and energy. Looking at play data from Sproggiwood you can see that while about half the total players are pirates, the pirated copies are almost entirely in Russia, Singapore and other countries where it's legitimately difficult to purchase the software legally, and in almost all developed countries the piracy rate is very modest.

Since we want to always have some sort of free version of Qud our there anyway, locking the Steam version down with DRM would make it less portable, and therefore less useful to some players, that the free version, which would be pretty dumb (IMO).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The Retro Days tileset is about the only good one in the bunch honestly. It's actually one of the nicer tilesets I've ever played with in any roguelike.

There's also a dedicated thread for cata if you want to check that out. You might have better luck there if you ever need something answered.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553436

Any idea if this is still being worked on / finished without me reading through 105 pages? All I see is the second post saying the game is dead. I'd rather not get attached to ANOTHER roguelike that'll never be completed.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Sundae posted:

Any idea if this is still being worked on / finished without me reading through 105 pages? All I see is the second post saying the game is dead. I'd rather not get attached to ANOTHER roguelike that'll never be completed.

The old dev jumped ship and then a bunch of furries took over development, ran a kickstater and then added dildoes, fursuits, zombie slaves, and all other sorts of quality content

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unormal posted:

I'm not stridently against it, though I think in most cases it's a super dumb waste of time and energy. Looking at play data from Sproggiwood you can see that while about half the total players are pirates, the pirated copies are almost entirely in Russia, Singapore and other countries where it's legitimately difficult to purchase the software legally, and in almost all developed countries the piracy rate is very modest.

Since we want to always have some sort of free version of Qud our there anyway, locking the Steam version down with DRM would make it less portable, and therefore less useful to some players, that the free version, which would be pretty dumb (IMO).

Cool, I figured you guys would have a nuanced and modern approach to this. This actually allows me the flexibility of having a portable version of Qud that also works with Steam. Pretty much the best of both worlds for me, so thanks again!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Robot Randy posted:

The old dev jumped ship and then a bunch of furries took over development, ran a kickstater and then added dildoes, fursuits, zombie slaves, and all other sorts of quality content

It's not as bad as it sounds. I think there's just the one furry, and even then the wolf suit was added in as a joke. The zombie slave thing, while a bit unfortunately named (still not as bad as zlaves), is a direct reference to The Walking Dead where the character Michonne had 2 leashed up zombies with the arms chopped off. The vibrator is about the only really sketchy thing I can think of off the top of my head.

To answer your question, it's being actively developed with a lot of neat content being added pretty regularly. There's occasional drama with the development but it still chugs along pretty steadily. It's really one of the most unique roguelike experiences out there and I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
CDDA is pretty cool, everyone gets weird about the bondage poo poo and vibrators but it's not like Mad Max and Fallout don't have the same stuff, minus the fursuit. Which, by the way, makes excellent fuel.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I've been playing DDA for quite a while and have seen zero fursuits, zero zombie slaves, and one vibrator. I didn't even know the first two things existed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I laughed when I found a vibrator (and then was immediately mauled by a coyote in an unrelated stroke of bad luck), I'd probably laugh if I found a fursuit, I would certainly assume any leather bondage gear was simply for Mad Max road raider purposes, and I'm not really sure what I'd think if I ran across a 'zombie slave' but the first thing probably wouldn't be "this is somebody's fetish." It's a game where you're in a zombie apocalypse and you kill stuff, build death cars, vomit from eating too many potato chips, set buildings on fire, and die. Occasionally there's goofy poo poo that you can wear and/or set on fire. I haven't noticed anything creepy or inappropriate so far. :shrug:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
To be fair, the real world is, in reality, littered with vibrators and other ridiculous sex toys.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Ahaha speak of the devil.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Well come on, what's the description?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
"A full body fursuit in the form of an anthropomorphic wolf. It is quite encumbering and offers little storage but is very warm."

I took it outside, threw it on the highway, and set it on fire.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I haven't seen that game before but something about

The head. The eyes. The mouth. The torso. The arms. The hands. The legs. The feet.

is really funny

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
what I'm getting at is you should play Cataclysm it's real good.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

To be fair, the real world is, in reality, littered with vibrators and other ridiculous sex toys.

Plus if you think about it pretty much any sort of working motor is probably a decent find to anybody with any sort of mechanical skills. This is especially true if you find a sex toy with batteries that haven't bled their charge yet. Good luck getting batteries in a blasted apocalyptic wasteland.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Batteries?

No problem here.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
vibro-maul :black101:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Batteries?

No problem here.

That's incredible.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah it is. One of these days I'll get around to making a gif where that pans down to the emoticon mood indicator and shakes it up to a :DDD.

The power systems in cataclysm are kind of fun. Running things off of UPS's, or your own bionic power, or through rechargeable batteries via a car can be a lot of fun. Hopefully they'll eventually work in the vehicle power systems into constructions, and we can start powering homes and such.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dear lord I can only hope to one day create a game that bonkers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Cataclysm's problem isn't aesthetics so much as it is game design. The whole thing is just bloated with a million weird subsystems and redundant options that serve no useful purpose, "trap" options in stats/skills/builds that sound good but are actually awful or straight-up don't do what they say they do, and proposed overhauls for broken core systems that never actually get implemented.

Maybe it's improved since I quit (quite some time ago) but it seemed more a problem of their philosophy and direction than just a matter of the game being incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Cataclysm is a sandbox RL. It'll never offer you the same experience as Crawl, or any other goal orientated RL. As such, it's a bit all over the place, and you really have to make your own fun. However, it's probably the best sandbox out there for the sort of people that will deliberately take sub optimal choices and see where it goes.