Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Collateral Damage posted:

I've had to educate way too many people who should know better that RAID is not a substitute for backups. :(

There's a reason I named the backup thread I started "RAID is not backup!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Maniaman posted:

DHCP (or lack thereof)

We support over 4000 devices. Static IP assignments for all of them!

Need to move one to your office to troubleshoot? Hope you switched the subnet right, or else you're wasting 10 minutes booting it up while it tries and fails to contact the domain controller because it's on a different subnet.

Can't use DHCP because "it's too unreliable." What if the DHCP server goes down? Then nobody can connect and we might have to have people reboot their computers.

Never mind the fact that we're running out of IP addresses in a bunch of subnets because everything is statically assigned and nobody updates the list when a system/IP is retired, so there's lots of IP assignments in the list that most likely don't exist anymore.
Almost sounds likes you have my old job.

Bonus picture of their switches. Notice the static IP address is a public address (which they don't own)

What's a patch panel? :iiam:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, if the DHCP server goes down and you somehow can't spin up a temporary replacement within 8 hours or whatever your lease time is, DHCP isn't the problem.

That post reminded me of the reddit thread I read where someone was saying that a group training they attended had some senior guys claiming that python was a dead language.

Maybe Sr Level admins in some places confuse their operational standards with what is the reality for everywhere else. You see all these crazy personal preferences like only using switch/router dchp, not using dhcp at all, and all this other insane crap that would get laughed out room if mentioned in other orgs. All this false confidence is nuts.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gwaihir posted:

speculum bucket laptop

I'm going to regret this but uhhh... yeah... I'm gonna ask.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

I'm going to regret this but uhhh... yeah... I'm gonna ask.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022717&userid=104596&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post394975595

:barf:

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Maybe Sr Level admins in some places confuse their operational standards with what is the reality for everywhere else. You see all these crazy personal preferences like only using switch/router dchp, not using dhcp at all, and all this other insane crap that would get laughed out room if mentioned in other orgs. All this false confidence is nuts.

This is my manager in a nut shell. I had the opposite problem with him. Wanted EVERYTHING (including domain servers) on DHCP because static was old and DHCP is the future.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm finding that the network drop faceplates are all spectacularly mislabeled. Not one has matched up to the patch panels in the server room. Although the patching doesn't look too bad they did use overlong cables for everything requiring them to forcefully smush it all into the cable management. They cheaped out a bit and bought only one PoE switch so all the Shoretel phones supposedly are connected to it.

Then this morning while doing an inventory I look under someone's desk and I see four cables plugged into the faceplate. User has three network devices: A desktop PC, desk phone, and extra phone in the corner of her office. Contorting myself to get a better view I'm seeing way too many cables back there, and tangled among them... two five port switches jammed between the desk and the wall! Both are turned on. One has nothing plugged into it so I pull it out, the other has one cable that I can't see the end of and I pull that one out too.

Looking more closely I realize the second switch is PoE, so that must be for the second phone. Yup, the phone is now off. But... if all the phones go to the PoE switch dedicated for voice why would this one need it's own PoE switch? I check the faceplate label, go to the server room and find that the drop in question is already patched to the voice switch, and active. Even though on the user end nothing's plugged into it. I plug the phone into that jack anyway and of course nothing happens because the label is wrong.

Ffffffffff.... :argh:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm finding that the network drop faceplates are all spectacularly mislabeled. Not one has matched up to the patch panels in the server room. Although the patching doesn't look too bad they did use overlong cables for everything requiring them to forcefully smush it all into the cable management. They cheaped out a bit and bought only one PoE switch so all the Shoretel phones supposedly are connected to it.

Then this morning while doing an inventory I look under someone's desk and I see four cables plugged into the faceplate. User has three network devices: A desktop PC, desk phone, and extra phone in the corner of her office. Contorting myself to get a better view I'm seeing way too many cables back there, and tangled among them... two five port switches jammed between the desk and the wall! Both are turned on. One has nothing plugged into it so I pull it out, the other has one cable that I can't see the end of and I pull that one out too.

Looking more closely I realize the second switch is PoE, so that must be for the second phone. Yup, the phone is now off. But... if all the phones go to the PoE switch dedicated for voice why would this one need it's own PoE switch? I check the faceplate label, go to the server room and find that the drop in question is already patched to the voice switch, and active. Even though on the user end nothing's plugged into it. I plug the phone into that jack anyway and of course nothing happens because the label is wrong.

Ffffffffff.... :argh:

At least you are reining it in and know how it's supposed to work :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've already ordered proper length patch cables and my cabling vendor is coming by to sort out the ones I've identified so far. I'm going to have to do the whole place because there should be no element of mystery to a network this small. Everything should match up perfectly and be easily traced during troubleshooting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

User has three network devices: A desktop PC, desk phone, and extra phone in the corner of her office. Contorting myself to get a better view I'm seeing way too many cables back there, and tangled among them... two five port switches jammed between the desk and the wall! Both are turned on. One has nothing plugged into it so I pull it out, the other has one cable that I can't see the end of and I pull that one out too.

This place had switches plugged into switches plugged into switches because "Why would you run everyones network cable back to the server room?"

I wanted to get a drug tracking dog and train it to sniff out ethernet switches to help me find the fuckers hidden in cubical partitions, walls, etc

mewse
May 2, 2006

I spent some time the past couple days wondering how I would've approached my first job with the knowledge I have now.

Every single network drop was unlabeled and there wasn't even a patch panel.

I probably would've needed a cabling guy to help me install the patch panel but toning it out would be pretty easy with a pair of walkie-talkies.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The man who knows more about our internal application than anyone else - the application that is literally why we're a company - is doing a meeting to explain the product for everyone. A lot of people don't know a lot about it, so he's taking an hour to explain everything. This will help everyone support the product better, which is important knowledge for everyone from our support team, all the way over to those of us in IT who may not be working with the product itself, but need a firm understanding of how it works so we know how to build the environment.

I think 5 people showed up.

Ugh.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
That's why you make the creation of the meeting the problem of upper level management, who in turn make said meeting mandatory to attend.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah the problem is, there's always "emergencies".

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
If it makes you feel any better, I was tasked with creating an eFax solution to replace our existing hardwire/POTS line setup. Part of that included creating a presentation and hosting several meetings over the course of a few weeks to explain to people how to launch the eFax application and how incoming faxes would now be coming into exchange mailboxes rather than at the fax machine or MFD.

I had about 2 people show up on average for each meeting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:derp:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Atla$$ian's pricing model. Whelp, goodbye half rear end apps. I will not miss you but the devs will.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I was tasked with creating an eFax solution to replace our existing hardwire/POTS line setup. Part of that included creating a presentation and hosting several meetings over the course of a few weeks to explain to people how to launch the eFax application and how incoming faxes would now be coming into exchange mailboxes rather than at the fax machine or MFD.

To be fair, I stopped paying attention at "eFAX" too. Woooo you know that'll kill a crowd.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

AAB posted:

Atla$$ian's pricing model. Whelp, goodbye half rear end apps. I will not miss you but the devs will.

Which products? I find them pretty reasonable.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Spent forever trying to figure out why the processor, bus, and ram frequencies were not sitting stable on a server with every power saving feature turned off and it turns out that it is a problem hyper-V and is not really an issue :( I thought there was a flaw with the motherboard so I updated the bios by mounting a msdos 7.1 iso over IPMI and running afudos or whatever. It was nerve wracking and it worked perfectly but didn't fix t he issue. I wish I had known it was a hyper-V thing before spending so much time on it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

AAB posted:

They may be pricy as poo poo, but I'm a fan of the number of preexisting plugins that I don't have to deal with. And I'm not the one paying for it.

(Of course for whatever reason, with our Teamcity/Jira/Github stack, we decided to ignore 90% of the addons and hacked in a bunch of bash/perl scripts to do the same functionality but worse...)

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Gounads posted:

Which products? I find them pretty reasonable.

Literally all of them. We're very rapidly growing and its fun to see the cost double every 6 months

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Are you by chance on AT&T? We stopped being able to get emails in or out for about an hour earlier. Everything else worked but it was like that one IP address for our Exchange server dropped off the internet. Of course as I finally got through to the guy to get a ticket going it started working again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

We moved from XP to Windows 7 a few years back at a previous job, had an employee base of people who were scared of computers, and lots of snowflake applications that the departments were allowed to procure by themselves (we eventually managed to put a stop to this). We ran two meeting sessions to explain to everyone what was happening, held drop-in sessions one afternoon each week for the three weeks leading up to the big upgrade, and made available some demo PCs with all these applications installed for people who were curious to see if their applications worked, and ask questions.

Obviously we heard nothing, and had about 1 person who came to see us during our afternoon sessions. Until the day when people booted their PCs up into Windows 7, and then it was a load of :qq: waaah my application doesn't work quite right :qq:.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

AAB posted:

Literally all of them. We're very rapidly growing and its fun to see the cost double every 6 months

Increased costs are part of growing

Atlassian's products are the best of the best, imo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Trastion posted:

Are you by chance on AT&T? We stopped being able to get emails in or out for about an hour earlier. Everything else worked but it was like that one IP address for our Exchange server dropped off the internet. Of course as I finally got through to the guy to get a ticket going it started working again.
Rackspace Hosted Exchange

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

AAB posted:

Their cost per person generally goes down as you increase. If you're more than doubling staff, what do you expect?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Guys can you believe that as we employ more staff our payroll costs increase?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Guys can you believe that as we employ more staff our payroll costs increase?

Time to start cutting money from IT's budget.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

AAB posted:

That's like complaining to the grocer that food is more expensive because your family grew because you had kids.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I use threads like this to keep up on technology - I'd never heard of Altassian. Something to learn about!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Rackspace Hosted Exchange

Sup rax buddy

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I use threads like this to keep up on technology - I'd never heard of Altassian. Something to learn about!

They're really great and their pricing is actually pretty great. It's simple, straightforward, and really not that expensive. Jira and Confluence also scale very well--the benefits of using them in an integrated fashion only increase as you add more users to the mix.

It's great when all your discussions, documents, roadmaps, bug reports, and so on are in the same system and you can easily cross-reference, link, and report on any combination.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking as a wiki newbie, Confluence was incredibly easy to use when I wanted to get our documentation out of a bunch of scattered .doc files and into something actually usable.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Gounads posted:

Their cost per person generally goes down as you increase. If you're more than doubling staff, what do you expect?

The problem I have is the lower self-hosted tiers. When you hire your 11th employee, your bill goes from $10 to $1200. When you hire your 26th, it goes from $1200 to $2200. If self-hosted was per-person instead of tiers, it would be better. However Confluence is amazing and worth every penny, and Jira is pretty good too.

The bullshit is Hipchat. It's the only modern chat software that can be wrangled into any sort of compliance (Slack isn't even close, and Lync is Lync), but they decided that they'll charge $1800 per year for 11-25 users (Confluence and Jira are $1200 1-time at that tier). That's three times as much as their SaaS version for no good reason besides they know they have a captive audience of chumps that have to be compliant, and the compliance features are so half-assed it's obvious they give zero shits.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Erwin posted:

The problem I have is the lower self-hosted tiers. When you hire your 11th employee, your bill goes from $10 to $1200. When you hire your 26th, it goes from $1200 to $2200. If self-hosted was per-person instead of tiers, it would be better. However Confluence is amazing and worth every penny, and Jira is pretty good too.

The bullshit is Hipchat. It's the only modern chat software that can be wrangled into any sort of compliance (Slack isn't even close, and Lync is Lync), but they decided that they'll charge $1800 per year for 11-25 users (Confluence and Jira are $1200 1-time at that tier). That's three times as much as their SaaS version for no good reason besides they know they have a captive audience of chumps that have to be compliant, and the compliance features are so half-assed it's obvious they give zero shits.

Did you try flowdock? We use that, but I have no idea about compliance issues, setting it up was internal IT's job.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Oh don't get me wrong. I totally understand the costs of growth. I was merely commenting on the comedy of getting there. As above, hipchat has the most bullshit model of all of it. I'm not concerned about it since that's not my section of our team. I just have to ensure that these are licensed and it's handled by the right people. Glad I'm not running the procurement on that one :D

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I can't get our self hipchat server to stop kicking us off every 15 thinking we changed our passwords, so far it's been super flaky.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Erwin posted:

Actually, Lync is Skype for Business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

I can't get our self hipchat server to stop kicking us off every 15 thinking we changed our passwords, so far it's been super flaky.

Have you applied the 15000 "error with sessions and recognition of passwords" fixes yet?