Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Who do I need to contact to make me a bootleg pdf? China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
H

feetnotes posted:

We've gone longer than a year without an update before. I fully expect Onstad to one day poke his head back in the door and produce strips for a few weeks again, like a grown man returning to his grandfather's toy train set after the old man's death and giving them a few whirls around the basement rec room...

Hold on dude, I'm gonna open up MS Word. Something's happening here.
He was rockin it, too, till the penny thing turned out to be a wet fart in and old man's shorts.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MMAgCh posted:

At first it seems hopeless, because he likes craft soda so much, but then Onstad impresses everyone with his Old-School moves.

:sigh:

Didn't he already give up on that craft soda thing? I thought someone posted something about that.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Johnny Aztec posted:

Didn't he already give up on that craft soda thing? I thought someone posted something about that.

Because he's got depression

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dude comes from circumstances.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Johnny Aztec posted:

He's also disappeared from the website of that Pop Art marketing agency he went to work for. He could be laying dead in a ditch right now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has someone called the police?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Anaranjado posted:

Because he's got depression

Onstad is the guy who sucks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Still, this was a good thread. I always liked reading along with the rest of you goons, even if I never posted anything.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

If he hasn't gotten the gently caress out of Portland, he needs to do it STAT because that place can suck out all your life and motivation juices

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Tao Jones posted:

If he hasn't gotten the gently caress out of Portland, he needs to do it STAT because that place can suck out all your life and motivation juices

I have a feeling that some people are emptied by Portland and others go to Portland because they have been emptied.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Facebook keeps telling me of a message about Alyssa Milano's breastmilk being taken from her at Heathrow. I hope it does not end up on eBay. :ohdear:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Tao Jones posted:

As someone whom has never lived in or even been near the pacific northwest, how so??

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Deathlove posted:

Facebook keeps telling me of a message about Alyssa Milano's breastmilk being taken from her at Heathrow. I hope it does not end up on eBay. :ohdear:

Don't worry, they can only sell it on eBay Platinum Reserve.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

onstad can't possibly suck as much as that other webcomic dude who took money for book orders and then literally set fire to all the books

there were a few goons going "well that's depression for you"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

onstad can't possibly suck as much as that other webcomic dude who blamed his depression on him taking money for book orders and then literally setting fire to all the books

that was the one who did pictures for sad children. it was pretty surreal to see other cartoonists on twitter not know what the gently caress was going on as it happened

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's odd to consider that in past days, artists were generally this crazy, but you only heard about it two years later via carrier pigeon or screamin' town crier. Nowadays we can watch a mid-range scribbler combust in real-time. Progress?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Darth Windu posted:

As someone whom has never lived in or even been near the pacific northwest, how so??

Given that I think most of the city has SAD about 8 months out of 12, the climate alone was probably a bad idea. Roast Beef would need an entire array of lights. Though we've been lucky this spring and it's been mostly sunny. We shall pay when the entire state is on fire, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wanderer posted:

It's odd to consider that in past days, artists were generally this crazy, but you only heard about it two years later via carrier pigeon or screamin' town crier. Nowadays we can watch a mid-range scribbler combust in real-time. Progress?

nobody's had much insight into onstad's combustion. maybe he died?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wanderer posted:

In the past, Onstad would've done this poo poo, his neighbords would've thought he was a hosed up guy, and we'd be digging up his brilliant works 40 years later after he died a failed soda salesmen depressed and penniless in some miserable place like Portland

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well personally I hope that Onstad has more days where he's able to bite through the toast than not :unsmith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jerusalem posted:

Well personally I hope that Onstad has more days where he's able to bite through the toast than not :unsmith:

Maybe we should chip in to get him a special lamp so he can be in society.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

onstad can't possibly suck as much as that other webcomic dude who took money for book orders and then literally set fire to all the books

I loved his comics but didn't give money to the kickstarter and thought it was absolutely loving hilarious and completely in line with my expectations based on the other art he had put out.

I think he took a bunch of his poo poo down though which is unfortunate because it was all awesome.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

John Campbell was tap-dancing on the edge of serious mental illness for years so that freakout wasn't as surprising as it could have been.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

that was the one who did pictures for sad children. it was pretty surreal to see other cartoonists on twitter not know what the gently caress was going on as it happened

Oh poo poo, I never knew what happened to PFSC after the book. Thanks for happening to mention this.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

John Campbell was tap-dancing on the edge of serious mental illness for years so that freakout wasn't as surprising as it could have been.
Especially since they were abusing DMT at the time, from what I remember.

I think they also managed to scrape some sanity together and send out the remaining non-incinerated books.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zereth posted:

Especially since they were abusing DMT at the time, from what I remember.

I think they also managed to scrape some sanity together and send out the remaining non-incinerated books.

john campbell does not exist in plurality

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

john campbell does not exist in plurality

"They" can be used as a singular pronoun, and has been since the 14th century, nooblet

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

"They" can be used as a singular pronoun, and has been since the 14th century, nooblet

only in the absense of a gendered reference. It's never gramatically correct, ambiguous gender always defaults to the masculine in English, but whatever.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Blue Raider posted:

only in the absense of a gendered reference. It's never gramatically correct, ambiguous gender always defaults to the masculine in English, but whatever.
Daaamn! Look who's bein' a dick about terms!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

Take it up with the Chicago Manual of Style, then.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

fatherdog posted:

man where does chicago get off thinkin' they are arbiters of style? they style on a pizza so that it is just a bowl full of tomato soup cooked too long

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fatherdog posted:

It's about ethics in English grammar.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's easy to understand why he did.

quote:

Chris Onstad clutches a scuffed white binder bulging with notebook paper. “Pen down, please,” he says with a smile. “And no pictures.” He then opens the binder, revealing page after page of scribbled lists, calculations, and secret formulas—the meticulous record of his two-and-a-half-year quest to brew what he terms “the Belgian beer of soda pops.”

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/portland-soda-works-geeks-out-on-pop-september-2014

He looked into the mirror and saw Pat Reynolds staring back at him. :sigh:

edit: The blog is still updating as of yesterday, so maybe he's still at it.

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 10, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

Oh poo poo, I never knew what happened to PFSC after the book. Thanks for happening to mention this.

kc green in particular was pretty broken up about it, which was sad to read.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

kc green in particular was pretty broken up about it, which was sad to read.

I'm curious what you mean by this, I know Gunshow ended recently but how did it affect him?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Manwithastick posted:

I'm curious what you mean by this, I know Gunshow ended recently but how did it affect him?

KC Green was friends with the author of PFSC. This was his reaction. (He continues on in the replies of that tweet)

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Ok that is terrible :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Onstad is alive, someone posted a thing in the Facebook group about the phrase "hot tranny mess" and like the first comment was Onstad popping in to apologize and say he didn't realize how offensive the word was at the time. I wanted to bring up cookbooks but that's, uh, not looked upon kindly in the group for some reason?

e: this was like a week or so ago