Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JT Jag posted:

He came up the ranks in Baltimore, which can certainly have an effect on your view of how crime should be handled. In other respects he is both socially progressive and has championed tax increases to deal with deficit shortfalls.

Just a reminder that David Simon used O'Malley as one of the models for this guy:

EDIT: Funny that some people think we should go from a president who enjoys The Wire to a president who was all but literally a character in The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Is this like when libertarians say they don't vote straight ticket republican?

Yes. Yes it is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You underestimate Rand Paul. He's got more conservative and establishment books fides than you give him credit for, and I think he's going to be able to bridge the gap between the lolbertarian wing, the tea party gently caress the poor wing, and the corporate just give me some money wing.

His answers in his confrontational interviews so far have been fairly politically savvy.

And the person who originally predicted he'd win the nomination: Chris Matthews.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

O'Malley is a bozo, and so is anybody else besides Hillary and Biden. Bernie is the only genuine candidate, but will hopefully at least be able to push the conversation left, even if the rest of the New Dems keep pretending a Republican President is a genuine possibility so the party must lurch rightward.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I mean, if you're going to vote for the hopeless Democratic primary candidate to the left of Hillary, why not Bernie?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

JT Jag posted:

He came up the ranks in Baltimore, which can certainly have an effect on your view of how crime should be handled. In other respects he is both socially progressive and has championed tax increases to deal with deficit shortfalls.

I'd just like a viable candidate for once that wasn't dogshit awful on criminal justice, but that's probably a pipe dream.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

On one hand, I don't like Hillary.

On the other hand, one or two of the conservative Supreme Court judges will probably die in the next 9 years.

That's horribly reductionist but hey.
Breyer is 76
Kennedy is 78
Scalia is 79
Ginsburg is 82 (and not in very good health, honestly)

The next 8 years could (and probably will) have a very, very large influence on the political makeup of the Supreme Court; assuming all 4 seats become available for nominations then the Supreme Court could range from 7R-2D to 6D-3R depending on who is president and how nominations go.

Also Jeb Bush is running and the Middle East is and will remain an unstable clusterfuck ripe for Iraq(/Syria/Yemen/Iran/Afghanistan) War 3 led by Bush 3.

TL;DR: I've already squashed any potential qualms with Hillary because I can already see the "bad future" we're headed for without her at the helm, and holy poo poo it is bad.:suicide:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2015

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the Supreme Court's the main reason I would vote for Hillary without hesitation, too. Plus, all of the Republican candidates have disqualified themselves in my eyes with their responses to the RFRA and Obama's Iran deal.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The indieGoGo for the murderer cop was taken down.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

I mean, if you're going to vote for the hopeless Democratic primary candidate to the left of Hillary, why not Bernie?

Yeah for real, Sanders is awesome and I'm probably going to vote for him in the Texas primaries if everything is already going as we expect it to.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

RBG will be the first human life ever recorded as sustained through sheer force of will

So long as Scalia remains on the court RBG will never die, it is his curse.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

MaxxBot posted:

I'd just like a viable candidate for once that wasn't dogshit awful on criminal justice, but that's probably a pipe dream.

I think it'll be coming. Right now we're in the don't ask don't tell era of political conversation on the criminal justice system, I think. The prevailing acceptance of Law & Order forever, gently caress criminals is slowly being chipped at and discussed by the left, and enough of that discussion makes it through in softened form in the media.

Though, the fact that even given the huge steps that GSM rights have taken since the 90s, conservatives can bunker down in their own states and communities means that it'll likely be very uneven, and at risk.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Because Diamond Joe is alive and beautiful.

In other news, most grass-roots opposition to a deal with Iran is rooted in hatred of Obama and a deep-seated certainty that these are the End Times.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Stereotype posted:

The indieGoGo for the murderer cop was taken down.

Man I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that PR planning session.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
That Supreme Court justices serve a life tenure is a well-known sort of bullshit. One thing that particularly irks me is that Chief Justice is a life tenure as well. John Roberts was appointed the seniormost jurist in the country his very first day on the job, and he will retain all the administrative authorities of the position until he dies or retires.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tender Bender posted:

The left is bad at framing conversations and picks terrible hills to die on.

This thread is "the left"?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Hillary is terrible, but we have a FPTP system and any of the Republicans would be even worse.
I'll just vote green in my county and city elections. They actually have a decent chance of winning this time, because they managed to get Pacific Ventures to build the saltworks without tearing up the wetlands, which means they can shut down any "JOB KILLERS :byodood:" bullshit from the usual suspects. Hopefully.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

greatn posted:

His answers in his confrontational interviews so far have been fairly politically savvy.
maddow_interview.flv

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

foobardog posted:

I think it'll be coming. Right now we're in the don't ask don't tell era of political conversation on the criminal justice system, I think. The prevailing acceptance of Law & Order forever, gently caress criminals is slowly being chipped at and discussed by the left, and enough of that discussion makes it through in softened form in the media.

Though, the fact that even given the huge steps that GSM rights have taken since the 90s, conservatives can bunker down in their own states and communities means that it'll likely be very uneven, and at risk.

Yeah I agree, my feelings about this are probably similar to how I would have felt 10 years ago about gay rights and the Dems if I had been an adult at the time. I'm betting that a lot of Democrats personally don't support this madness but also aren't willing to speak out against it because it's politically risky. It just pisses me off how in many cases there's not a hair's width of difference between Democrats and Republicans on the issue. Like I know Jerry Brown is poo poo on criminal justice but you'd think with California's solid blue legislature they wouldn't have among the worst prisons on the country but welp.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Because Vigo is alive and beautiful.

I love that scene from Ghostbusters 2

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Everblight posted:

maddow_interview.flv

He's had two high-profile interview tantrums. Claiming the media as one of Paul's strengths is flatly delusional.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CaptainCarrot posted:

He's had two high-profile interview tantrums. Claiming the media as one of Paul's strengths is flatly delusional.
He's not his father, that's for sure. Say what you want about him but Ron Paul knew how to express his message.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CaptainCarrot posted:

That's why I offered my pithy response to the poster asserting Rand was anything but an empty suit with a brick of ramen painted black for a hairpiece.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Everblight posted:

maddow_interview.flv

That was like six years ago.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Everblight posted:

That's why I offered my pithy response to the poster asserting Rand was anything but an empty suit with a brick of ramen painted black for a hairpiece.

Sorry, I was offering more evidence to buttress your counterpoint, not arguing with you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

As long as Ted Cruz is running it will make Rand Paul look sane in comparison.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

greatn posted:

That was like six years ago.

The right is bringing up things against Hillary from upwards of 30 years ago.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Cruz is just the right balance of sleazy right wing demagogue that he's my favorite to win the Republican nomination right now, even against Jeb Bush. The things he says during the primary will absolutely come back to kill him during the general.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I wonder, in some crazy scenario where he actually won the nomination, if Cruz would even try to move to the center for the general. This is a man who went into a room full of Palestinian Christians and said they were bad Christians because they didn't love Israel and their foreign policy as much as him, and then brought out his idiotic conservative applause lines in front of a group of union members. I don't think he has any desire to adjust his message based on his audience, which would make for a loving hilarious general election if I could get over the fear of him somehow winning.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

saintonan posted:

We thought Hillary was a lock in 2007 too.

Way to say this now, but I said in 2004 obama was going to be the next president after his speech. There's no one with that kind of star power for either team this election.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

No, nothing can make Rand Paul look sane. Other people can only look equally crazy.

Plus, Ted is a slimy and calculating gently caress. Don't underestimate him in the primary. He'll skewer himself in the general, but he's well positioned to do very well in the primaries.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MaxxBot posted:

I wonder, in some crazy scenario where he actually won the nomination, if Cruz would even try to move to the center for the general. This is a man who went into a room full of Palestinian Christians and said they were bad Christians because they didn't love Israel and their foreign policy as much as him, and then brought out his idiotic conservative applause lines in front of a group of union members. I don't think he has any desire to adjust his message based on his audience, which would make for a loving hilarious general election if I could get over the fear of him somehow winning.

Is the any precedent in recent election cycles for a candidate giving the finger to the establishment and running far left/right of the base? It seems like Cruz's only real prayer outside of an early Santorum-like win is for Bush and Walker to implode.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Karnegal posted:

Is the any precedent in recent election cycles for a candidate giving the finger to the establishment and running far left/right of the base? It seems like Cruz's only real prayer outside of an early Santorum-like win is for Bush and Walker to implode.

And won? I can't think of one, but I await a potential correction from Joe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ReidRansom posted:

Plus, Ted is a slimy and calculating gently caress. Don't underestimate him in the primary. He'll skewer himself in the general, but he's well positioned to do very well in the primaries.
Call me crazy but this plus the way he's pandering to the group of people who actually vote make me a little worried.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Republicans have been saying that they lost because their candidate wasn't vocally conservative enough since 2008. Nominating Ted Cruz and not putting a filter on the things he says during the general would be a hell of a way to test that theory.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

JT Jag posted:

Republicans have been saying that they lost because their candidate wasn't vocally conservative enough since 2008. Nominating Ted Cruz and not putting a filter on the things he says during the general would be a hell of a way to test that theory.

Not that the imminent loss would do anything to dissuade them from that line of argument in the future.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Not that the imminent loss would do anything to dissuade them from that line of argument in the future.
I'd really like to see the rationalizations though.

... Who am I kidding, they'd blame the loss on voter fraud.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

ReidRansom posted:

I still can't wait to see Ted ruin the election of every other republican candidate somehow.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

site posted:

Call me crazy but this plus the way he's pandering to the group of people who actually vote make me a little worried.

Yeah, I would say Cruz and Walker are the ones to watch. Rand has the issue where he can't run for both president and senate at the same time because of Kentucky law and while he's working to change it I don't know if it will be done in time for 2016. Bush has the problems of (a) is a Bush and that name is still going to be toxic (b) supported common core and immigration reform (c) being married to someone that doesn't pass the paper bag test.

All that really leaves is Cruz who will absolutely pander to the crazy GOP base that votes in primaries and Walker who will have more money than god thrown at him by the plutocrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

CaptainCarrot posted:

Three!

• Locked thread