Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rastor posted:

Sorry but nobody is going to do a smartphone with a 2 day battery anymore. Thin is in.

The new thing is to support quick/Turbo/wireless charging and let the road warriors get one of these or maybe something like this.

It's like you think the Droid Turbo doesn't exist. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Gripen5 posted:

I was going to take advantage of this deal, but missed the window to sign up. I don't have PM's and I am not 100% on getting it yet, but if no one uses it in a few days, I might try and contact you.

I lost my HTC One M8 about a month ago now. I have a Samsung Charge and it is killing me slowly. Trying to decide if I want the Moto X 2014 or the LG G3. This would be on Verizon. The G3 is $450, so they are basically the same price. I doubt I can go wrong with either one.

You honestly can't go wrong with anything that has come out in the last 3 years coming from a Droid Charge lol.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rastor posted:

The new thing is to support quick/Turbo/wireless charging and let the road warriors get one of these

I've been on the lookout for a battery pack like this that supported the quick charging feature. Thanks for the link.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

isndl posted:

People may not want to get suckered into being a Verizon customer? :shrug:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

isndl posted:

I know of the Droid Turbo, but though it does indeed have a thick battery, 2-day battery life isn't an iron-clad guarantee.

A 2-day smartphone isn't going to happen. Instead of hoping for one, get some turbo chargers and scatter them around your life. If you are a road warrior, get a mobile battery pack which supports turbo charging.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My contract is up with AT&T and I'm going to renew, but I can't decide which phone to buy. Currently have an S3 running Cyanogenmod 11 (4.4.4) but I've got battery, stability, and performance issues because the S3 is old. Currently eyeballing the S6 and I was going to buy it, but I really like AOSP and dislike Touchwiz. Exynos being closed-source means that an AOSP custom ROM is unlikely to come out for the S6, right? Or pretty much anything that makes significant headway against Touchwiz? That's pretty much my only complaint as the phone is super powerful, looks great display- and design-wise, and has great hardware otherwise that makes me want to jump its bones.

That leaves me looking for other phones that can run AOSP custom ROMs or phones already running AOSP. Not stoked on the M9. Don't know much about the G4 until the 28th. New Nexus unlikely until fall. Also I'm on AT&T so unlikely that a new Nexus would be on contract anyway.

Kinda stuck on what to do. Seems like my options are S6 and suck it up, wait and see if the G4 is worth it, or go phablet with the Nexus 6, but not sure if the less powerful hardware is worth it. Any advice on what seems logical? All considering that I can't really afford not to have something that doesn't go through AT&T.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Lblitzer posted:

You honestly can't go wrong with anything that has come out in the last 3 years coming from a Droid Charge lol.

I know. It is SO bad. I basically had to uninstall everything from it to get it to work for just the basics like texting and phone calls. It has 250 mb of ram and is usually operating around 210 mb in use with nothing basically only normal background stuff going on. I was almost tempted to root the phone to try and get a little more performance out of it, but decided I didn't want to accidentally brick the phone.

I don't want to end up going backwards from the M8, now that I have a taste of what a modern phone can do, so I have been looking at the newer stuff. I was tempted to get a used M8 (retail is still $500+ despite the new model being out), but for $100-150 more I can get a brand new G3, so that is probably going to be it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rastor posted:

I know of the Droid Turbo, but though it does indeed have a thick battery, 2-day battery life isn't an iron-clad guarantee.

A 2-day smartphone isn't going to happen. Instead of hoping for one, get some turbo chargers and scatter them around your life. If you are a road warrior, get a mobile battery pack which supports turbo charging.

Thanks for this! Just grabbed one of the Aukey units. I used to have a Satechi (sp?) battery pack but it was a bit too large and unwieldy to haul around.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

People may not want to get suckered into being a Verizon customer? :shrug:

That's why I 'imported' my Moto Maxx from Puerto Rico. Bit of a hefty price to pay up front though, I'll admit.

Rastor posted:

GSM Arena tested it at what, 30 straight hours of talk time? There aren't many contexts where that's insufficient. And if it is, I'm impressed and you're fortunate that it also supports turbo charging.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Stick100 posted:

I've still got a Moto X 2014 (Which is probably the closest thing to a Nexus 5-2) $140 off code making a 16 Gig $360 or 32 Gig $410 I believe which is basically the N5 pricing. Also they are giving away a free Moto Hint with off contract purchase ($150 value) and I got upgraded to leather for free.

You might be able to get a Moto X 2014 Pure Edition + Leather/Wood upgrade + Moto Hint for $360 that's a hell of a deal. Anyone who wants the code please PM me it's good till 4/16.

I appreciate that and if I weren't on Sprint that's what I'd probably get but Sprint isn't getting the Moto X2 and I'm not switching from Sprint because I'm on the employee plan. :toot:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

isndl posted:

That's why I 'imported' my Moto Maxx from Puerto Rico. Bit of a hefty price to pay up front though, I'll admit.

GSM Arena tested it at what, 30 straight hours of talk time? There aren't many contexts where that's insufficient. And if it is, I'm impressed and you're fortunate that it also supports turbo charging.
Some proud Droid Turbo / Moto Maxx owners around here. I meant no offense, it's a very nice 2014 phone.

Looking at the 2015 and beyond flagship phones -- I'm saying, they're not going to be configured with 2-day batteries.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Rastor posted:

Some proud Droid Turbo / Moto Maxx owners around here. I meant no offense, it's a very nice 2014 phone.

Looking at the 2015 and beyond flagship phones -- I'm saying, they're not going to be configured with 2-day batteries.

Part of the reason I bought that phone was because it has a battery that can go two days without charging. I think it's slightly disingenuous to outright declare that a 2-day phone "isn't going to happen" when they're already on the market and available for purchase right now. Hardware improvements are in the pipeline (Snapdragon 810 not withstanding), so there's no telling what could happen in the next six months until the new round of phones launch. I wouldn't expect all of them to have long battery lives, just as I wouldn't expect all current phones to have long battery lives, but I would be surprised if absolutely none of them could do two days.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Stick100 posted:

I've still got a Moto X 2014 (Which is probably the closest thing to a Nexus 5-2) $140 off code making a 16 Gig $360 or 32 Gig $410 I believe which is basically the N5 pricing. Also they are giving away a free Moto Hint with off contract purchase ($150 value) and I got upgraded to leather for free.

You might be able to get a Moto X 2014 Pure Edition + Leather/Wood upgrade + Moto Hint for $360 that's a hell of a deal. Anyone who wants the code please PM me it's good till 4/16.

I looked at the website regarding this before and the free Moto Hint deal says "promo cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts." So it looks like you have to choose between $140 off OR free Moto Hint, not both.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Rastor posted:

The Z4? All those Chinese phones?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So after two weeks with the droid turbo, I'm still angry about losing the settings button. The long press option in the android settings doesn't appear to get the job done, what gives?

Edit: the droid turbo just barely makes it 24 hours for me because I use it nonstop at work. Battery life just isn't good on any phone.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 10, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What the gently caress broken Gingerbread era app are you using that you need a settings button?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

I looked at the website regarding this before and the free Moto Hint deal says "promo cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts." So it looks like you have to choose between $140 off OR free Moto Hint, not both.

That makes sense it seemed like a pretty absurd deal to get ~$650 worth of value for $360.

Well since no one wants it I'll put it out for the internet.

Moto Selfie Stick Email posted:

Moto X
Start designing
At checkout, enter this code:
SELFIE-PRER-FKVX-R222-GETZ
Use this promo code to take $140 off the purchase of a no-contract Moto X.* There are thousands of ways to create a unique Moto X of your own using Moto Maker. Then enjoy 30% off all accessories with your Moto X purchase.**
You have until Thursday, April 16 to redeem. Questions? Read our FAQs.
https://motorola-global-portal.cust...E&utm_term=faqs

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is the battery life on the S6 as middling as the reviews suggest? That's a dealbreaker for me as I'd buy a freakin' flip phone at this point if it'd last for 2 days straight on idle. To me it's still looking like the Z3 is the one to beat for battery life.
I don't know much about the Z3, but the battery life on the Droid Turbo is pretty loving baller.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is the battery life on the S6 as middling as the reviews suggest? That's a dealbreaker for me as I'd buy a freakin' flip phone at this point if it'd last for 2 days straight on idle. To me it's still looking like the Z3 is the one to beat for battery life.

Plenty of phones can last for 2 days straight on idle. My Nexus 6 can easily go beyond that, let alone something like a Turbo. Though really any phone that isn't straight up bugged should have acceptable idle life at this point.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

What the gently caress broken Gingerbread era app are you using that you need a settings button?

An incredibly* broken one, from the sound of it. Most Gingerbread apps that need a menu and can't fit it in the header (example: Winamp) will put an extra as-needed menu button in the virtual button bar.

*Literally, as in it strains credibility nearly to and possibly beyond the breaking point.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Is there a good/reasonably safe method to force move an app to the SD card without rooting? My wife's Covet Fashion is swamping her phone's internal storage. :shobon: Most of what I see online is either years old or requires root, but maybe things have changed?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thermopyle posted:

This is the exact opposite of what just about every professional and user review has said. I haven't touched one yet, so maybe you can explain why you disagree?

The notification shade still looks appalling to me - I'm not sure if it has changed from earlier versions of Touchwiz but it definitely looks as bad as it does on my LG G3.

The rest isn't real problem, but then I didn't think Touchwiz on the S5 was an issue either (ugly visuals aside)

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!
The reason for the Samsung's S6 weak standby by times is that all the reviewers models are T-Mobile units running Samsung's Shannon 333 GSM/LTE baseband modem. However the Verizon/Sprint variants run the Qualcomm MDM9235 20nm modem. Basically across the board the T-Mobile and ATT variants get WAY crappier standby and weak signal battery life then the Qualcomm variants. Shannon 333 has an especially hard time dealing with T-mobiles typically weak signal indoors because T-Mobile's AWS 2100mhz band is much weaker than ATT's and Verizon's 700mhz band or Sprint's 800mhz LTE bands. This is why the S5 on ATT/Tmobile gets much better battery life than the S6 on same networks because it has an older but still more efficient Qualcomm modem. The Verizon/Sprint variants match or some cases beats the S5 even with a smaller battery.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

isndl posted:

Is this where we try to give people battery envy?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Eejit posted:

My contract is up with AT&T and I'm going to renew, but I can't decide which phone to buy. Currently have an S3 running Cyanogenmod 11 (4.4.4) but I've got battery, stability, and performance issues because the S3 is old. Currently eyeballing the S6 and I was going to buy it, but I really like AOSP and dislike Touchwiz. Exynos being closed-source means that an AOSP custom ROM is unlikely to come out for the S6, right? Or pretty much anything that makes significant headway against Touchwiz? That's pretty much my only complaint as the phone is super powerful, looks great display- and design-wise, and has great hardware otherwise that makes me want to jump its bones.

That leaves me looking for other phones that can run AOSP custom ROMs or phones already running AOSP. Not stoked on the M9. Don't know much about the G4 until the 28th. New Nexus unlikely until fall. Also I'm on AT&T so unlikely that a new Nexus would be on contract anyway.

Kinda stuck on what to do. Seems like my options are S6 and suck it up, wait and see if the G4 is worth it, or go phablet with the Nexus 6, but not sure if the less powerful hardware is worth it. Any advice on what seems logical? All considering that I can't really afford not to have something that doesn't go through AT&T.

If you're really set on going AOSP, the Nexus 6 is your best/only bet. Getting an S6 with the intent of putting a custom rom on it right away seems like a terrible idea.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Don't buy a phone you dislike with the sole purpose of fixing it with a custom ROM.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Lay hands on a Moto or Xperia. They are not stock, but the differences won't make you want to vomit.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 11, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

Dolphin. I used to have the address and tab bar hidden, and would hit the settings button to pop those up to switch tabs. Now I have to have them permanently displayed

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mastershakeman posted:

Dolphin. I used to have the address and tab bar hidden, and would hit the settings button to pop those up to switch tabs. Now I have to have them permanently displayed

Try using a better browser

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
I don't understand why people need 24+ hours of standby time. Plug your phone in at night, problem solved.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I charge regularly at night, but it's really nice to have the extra power for the days where you're up early and staying out later than usual. You simply don't have to think or worry about it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Do you actually not understand how someone might have a different lifestyle than you that a phone that can last 2 days without dying is a big positive?

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

nerve posted:

Do you actually not understand how someone might have a different lifestyle than you that a phone that can last 2 days without dying is a big positive?

I'm not trying to be a dick, and I apologize if it came off that way. However I would guess that someone would usually sleep at some point during a 48 hour period.

Well, unless there are drugs involved, but I would assume there would be outlets nearby. Plus, with quickcharge, you get hours of charge in minutes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rye Bread posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick, and I apologize if it came off that way. However I would guess that someone would usually sleep at some point during a 48 hour period.

Well, unless there are drugs involved, but I would assume there would be outlets nearby. Plus, with quickcharge, you get hours of charge in minutes.

Some people prefer the peace of mind of knowing that no matter how hard they thrash their phone, it'll last a full day no matter what.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Rye Bread posted:

You're not wrong, but quick charge isn't a perfect solution. I might not have ready access to an outlet, such as when traveling. A portable charger makes two devices I have to keep topped off. I have to either keep spare chargers all over the place or carry one around with me, which can be a pain in the rear end. I have to be proactive about topping off my phone when necessary, because I won't have time if I realize I'm low as I'm heading out the door.

These aren't insurmountable problems by any means, but I greatly prefer the simplicity of having a bigger battery that allows me to concentrate on other things.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Anyone know why the latest update for the Note 4 (on VZW) has the messaging app starting new days at 8am? For example, if you get a text up until 7:59am, it will be grouped with messages from the day before. Then, all texts after 8am are grouped together as the current day.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I don't think it's so much that people want 24-48 hours of idle time, it's just that they know that if it can last 48 hours on idle, it can probably last through a full 8 hours of me watching videos or playing games when I've been called for jury duty. And still have enough power left that I can get home without it dying. (Living in Baltimore means that you WILL get called for jury duty every 18 months.)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://9to5google.com/2015/04/10/nexus-5-nexus-7-bricked-android-lollipop/

Looks like there's a huge thread on Google's product page about Lollipop bricking Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi and Nexus.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/aHPjOTqCpXY

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So apparently Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 devices are being bricked by OTA updates... GOOGLE'D

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/324i2d/nexus_5_and_7_devices_being_bricked_by_ota_updates/

Really though this is ridiculous how bad of a launch Lollipop has been.

Edit: beaten haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

So apparently Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 devices are being bricked by OTA updates... GOOGLE'D

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/324i2d/nexus_5_and_7_devices_being_bricked_by_ota_updates/

Really though this is ridiculous how bad of a launch Lollipop has been.

Edit: beaten haha

No, all those people are just loving with their phones somehow.