Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I put that whale there

Is the whale where it's supposed to be on that map?

Also, is that vampire Walt Disney inspired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Of course, but my best easter egg didn't make it in, I couldn't get it working in time and got swamped with other things.

I can't say what it was right now cause it involves confirming a character we haven't used in media, but you can ask me again later.

Fliparse confirmed.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Fliparse confirmed.

Regis confirmed.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't "meet" the recommended due to having a 3570k, but that's it so I think I'm just fine since I'm going to be overclocking the CPU soon anyway.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

God drat, just when I thought I couldn't get more hyped for this game. My GTX 660 Ti better run this and not explode in the process! :pray:
I'm literally trying to figure out a way to import computer parts into Israel (without paying the outrageous import fees) just for this game.

GrossMurpel posted:

Regis confirmed.
Dorregay's amazing road-movie adventure confirmed.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 10, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

I'm literally trying to figure out a way to import computer parts / graphic card into Israel just for the sake of this game.

Can't you just claim that those parts were yours to begin with and are just taking them back?

That's not really 'importing' at that point, right?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Xander77 posted:

I'm literally trying to figure out a way to import computer parts / graphic card into Israel just for the sake of this game.
Dorregay's amazing road-movie adventure confirmed.

Hollow out an old laptop and have someone mule them over. Failing that, get a large condom....

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Mr E posted:

I don't "meet" the recommended due to having a 3570k, but that's it so I think I'm just fine since I'm going to be overclocking the CPU soon anyway.
Yeah the only thing holding me back is my i7-2600k which is both depressing and awesome at the same time.

I really don't want to upgrade until Intel releases Skylake and resisting the urge to upgrade now for this game is kind of hard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ash1138 posted:

Yeah the only thing holding me back is my i7-2600k which is both depressing and awesome at the same time.

I really don't want to upgrade until Intel releases Skylake and resisting the urge to upgrade now for this game is kind of hard.

I honestly don't think it'll be that big a deal for the CPU.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Games haven't been CPU intensive for like ten years, unless the game in question is made by an idiotically inept studio like Ubisoft.

As long as it also has to run on Xbone / PS4, your potato CPU will be fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welp the cpu's hosed too. Guess I'm waiting for a sale then upgrading!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 10, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

Welp the cpu's hosed too. Guess I'm waiting for a sale then upgrading!

CPU's not gonna matter so much. If you can currently play modern games, you can play Witcher.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

drat, this looks like my first full-priced singleplayer game purchase in well over 4 years.
Ah well, I'll get a discount for owning Witcher 1+2, so it's not full-priced.
The streak is still holding!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

CPU's not gonna matter so much. If you can currently play modern games, you can play Witcher.

Yeah I'm probably going to buy it anyway then decide what to do with my computer. It's about seven years old! The whole thing needs an overhaul anyway.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Before you start ordering new CPUs keep in mind that system requirements might be based less on actual performance and more on what generation a chip belongs to.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah, on CPU side a 2500 series is still a great CPU, there haven't been huge leaps in architecture lately and games aren't CPU bound much lately. Thankfully, cause I don't want to have to get a new mobo and CPU right now.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Forget system requirements and watch this really awesome trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwe_WHARdc

(stolen from NeoGAF)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The 2500k is basically the same as a 3570k, maybe even better since it doesn't overheat with the default cooler unlike the 3570.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Heliosicle posted:

The 2500k is basically the same as a 3570k, maybe even better since it doesn't overheat with the default cooler unlike the 3570.

Hahah what?

Also, yeah. CPUs haven't really changed significantly, not where most programs are concerned,

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Drifter posted:

Hahah what?

Also, yeah. CPUs haven't really changed significantly, not where most programs are concerned,

The 3570 doesn't overheat unless you're trying to overclock, which you then need an aftermarket. I've always had an aftermarket, but two of my friends have had stock cooler on the 3570 for years with no issues.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

drat, this looks like my first full-priced singleplayer game purchase in well over 4 years.
Ah well, I'll get a discount for owning Witcher 1+2, so it's not full-priced.
The streak is still holding!
Check SA-mart or ebay. Thanks to the current nvidia promotion, witcher 3 GOG codes are going for $25 or less.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

g0del posted:

Check SA-mart or ebay. Thanks to the current nvidia promotion, witcher 3 GOG codes are going for $25 or less.

Thanks for this, just got the game for 24 bucks :stare:.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Forget system requirements and watch this really awesome trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwe_WHARdc

Unnnnngggghhhhh. I want it. Even if this is just a larger, prettier, slightly smoother Witcher 2 I'm going to loving love it but this looks so much better than that.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I had myself convinced I could just pick this up later this summer since May-June is pretty hectic and money-sucking.

Looks like I was wrong as gently caress.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep, totally taking time off for this. Holy poo poo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

g0del posted:

This is why I'm canceling my preorder with GoG to get my 48 bucks back and use the code that comes with my video card next week.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

SaviourX posted:

I had myself convinced I could just pick this up later this summer since May-June is pretty hectic and money-sucking.

Looks like I was wrong as gently caress.

I got lucky. May/June is my least busy stretch so I can devote a few weeks to this.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Mr E posted:

The 3570 doesn't overheat unless you're trying to overclock, which you then need an aftermarket. I've always had an aftermarket, but two of my friends have had stock cooler on the 3570 for years with no issues.

Maybe I got a bad one then, I had to buy a new cooler after a week of having my 3570k because it was throttling when I played BF3.

Will they carry on selling cards with the promo once the game is out? I don't know how these promos usually work.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mr E posted:

Yeah, on CPU side a 2500 series is still a great CPU, there haven't been huge leaps in architecture lately and games aren't CPU bound much lately. Thankfully, cause I don't want to have to get a new mobo and CPU right now.

Not to mention that the 2500k still overclocks like a champ.
IIRC, the stock clock is 3.3 GHz. I ran it on stock clock and cooler for a looooong time and only recently slapped on an after market cooler for 30 bucks.

Now it's running on 4.4 Ghz without any trouble whatsoever, hardly breaking 65°C/150 °F under load.
Overclocking is basically moving a slider a couple of notches to the right.

You'll be fine with a 2500(K).

I played through Witcher 2 on a AMD 7870 GPU the first time last June and just started the Vernon Roche story branch on a GTX970.
Ooooh boy. 60 fps on Ultra (except for ubersampling) really is quite something.

:getin:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

Maybe I got a bad one then, I had to buy a new cooler after a week of having my 3570k because it was throttling when I played BF3.

Will they carry on selling cards with the promo once the game is out? I don't know how these promos usually work.

Usually, though it depends on the publisher/dev.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
poo poo. Just realized that W2 GOG saves might not be able to import into the Steam version. My whole run so far has been GOG due to the reported savegame bug W2 had.

Worst case: I'm assuming the Steam version also gives a GOG key? Wonder how that'll affect buying the expansions on Steam too. Agh.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm upgrading my cpu/motherboard and case as I haven't since 2007. Can anyone tell me if there is anything wrong with this build? After my research I was pretty happy with it but I've never upgraded a cpu before so I want to make sure.

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Computer Corp. Motherboard ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards B85-G41 PC MATE
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window Cases PH-ES614P_BK

My current video card is a beast: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB SC with ACX Cooler 6GB

Edit: I plan to just use the heatsink/fan that comes with the processor and not buy an aftermarket one unless I absolutely have to. I'm not planning on overclocking.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

poo poo. Just realized that W2 GOG saves might not be able to import into the Steam version. My whole run so far has been GOG due to the reported savegame bug W2 had.

Worst case: I'm assuming the Steam version also gives a GOG key? Wonder how that'll affect buying the expansions on Steam too. Agh.

They should just grab em from the my docs folder. Which reminds me that I need to finish my playthrough of W2...

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Spikeguy posted:

I'm upgrading my cpu/motherboard and case as I haven't since 2007. Can anyone tell me if there is anything wrong with this build? After my research I was pretty happy with it but I've never upgraded a cpu before so I want to make sure.

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Computer Corp. Motherboard ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards B85-G41 PC MATE

My current video card is a beast: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB SC with ACX Cooler 6GB

Edit: I plan to just use the heatsink/fan that comes with the processor and not buy an aftermarket one unless I absolutely have to. I'm not planning on overclocking.

The 4790K is one of the few i7's that I really like since it's relatively super cool-running for the performace compared to it's peers. I'd get a different case (from Fractal) but that's more personal preference/special need. You're definitely good to go.

EDIT (regarding your edit): I'd still get an aftermarket cooler and that's only from personal experience. A friend of mine has the 4790K and it was running slightly hotter than he'd like. I switched out the heatsink for him to this (due to size concerns): http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Sockets-Heatpipe-2x140mm-Bearing/dp/B004DUMQVY and it dropped the temp 10+ degrees.

If you have the space, I'd recommend the D14. It's loving huge though.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 10, 2015

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Go to this thread: [url] http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266 [/url] and ask. They are extremely helpful and info in the OP can tell you where to get the cheapest parts. They saved me from some poor (uninformed) decisions.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

Yeah man, if that case isn't glowing blue or crimson red, you're probably not gonna have a fast enough system to run the game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

Yeah man, if that case isn't glowing blue or crimson red, you're probably not gonna have a fast enough system to run the game.

Well I have a 4 year old daughter. I'm pretty sure I could get her to glitter-trick it out.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
gently caress YEAH WHALE WOOOOOO

Nothing really to add besides that. Looking forward to see how many ways Geralt can be an rear end in a top hat.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
People are still building full-size ATX boxes in TYOOL 2015?!? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rime posted:

People are still building full-size ATX boxes in TYOOL 2015?!? :psyduck:

I have a gigantic red computer that I built over the summer. It's big and red. I call it big red. My parts need room to breathe yo.

• Locked thread