Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If anyone followed the endless saga of the Indian MMRCA procurement, the negotiations are going so slowly that India just decided to buy 36 Rafale off-the-shelf right now, to buy more time to finalize the MMRCA contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Mazz posted:

Found this today:

A report from some budgetary think-tank about Future Air Combat

I didn't have the time to read it front to back yet but from what I have it seems like a pretty great read for those interested. A good history of air combat, engagements with different weapon types in the past 60 years, and the value of poo poo like AWACS and sensor fusion. Develops into a pretty interesting look of future aircraft design based on all that (by interesting I mean actually well thought out and not "YOU CAN"T DOGFIGHT WITHOUT A GUN!!!!")

CSBA has a generic name but is among the most well respected think-tanks in D.C. They're not as big as RAND but they're probably the highest caliber defense think tank you've never heard of. CSBA is responsible for the "Third Offset" strategy that the DepSecDef is pushing, as well as the only good idea to make surface combatants really relevant again I've yet heard.

Cat Mattress posted:

If anyone followed the endless saga of the Indian MMRCA procurement, the negotiations are going so slowly that India just decided to buy 36 Rafale off-the-shelf right now, to buy more time to finalize the MMRCA contract.

Yeah, and that's a dumb decision. Now they have to finance an entire logistics chain for just three squadrons of aircraft. It would make dramatically more sense for them to just buy the full 126 Rafale unless they're planning on an honest to gods shooting war with China.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Red Crown posted:

Now they have to finance an entire logistics chain for just three squadrons of aircraft. It would make dramatically more sense for them to just buy the full 126 Rafale unless they're planning on an honest to gods shooting war with China.

They're still planning on getting the 126 others, though. The official statement (point 14 here) is this:

quote:

14. Government of India conveyed to the Government of France that in view of the critical operational necessity for Multirole Combat Aircraft for Indian Air Force, Government of India would like to acquire 36 Rafale jets in fly-away condition as quickly as possible. The two leaders agreed to conclude an Inter-Governmental Agreement for supply of the aircraft on terms that would be better than conveyed by Dassault Aviation as part of a separate process underway; the delivery would be in time-frame that would be compatible with the operational requirement of IAF; and that the aircraft and associated systems and weapons would be delivered on the same configuration as had been tested and approved by Indian Air Force, and with a longer maintenance responsibility by France.

The separate process is still underway, but they don't want to keep waiting.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
That has me thinking. If you're one of the countries that doesn't develop their own aircraft. Would it make sense to buy/lease a single aircraft from each competing manufacturer and then do your own fly off, instead of these endless paper procurement/development projects? Return/sell the losing aircraft after your done, or stowe em in a museum.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

AlexanderCA posted:

That has me thinking. If you're one of the countries that doesn't develop their own aircraft. Would it make sense to buy/lease a single aircraft from each competing manufacturer and then do your own fly off, instead of these endless paper procurement/development projects? Return/sell the losing aircraft after your done, or stowe em in a museum.

That's mostly what happens, except in the countries that want to develop their own industrial base. India and Korea are both interested in buying foreign fighters, but also building them domestically and in the long run building their own indigenous designs after they feel they have gotten to that point.

You see most other nations, like many in South America or SE Asia, put out an RFP and get responses from Boeing, Sukhoi, Dassault, etc with "nationalized" variants of existing fighters. They tend to buy who makes the biggest splash, or bribes them the most.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If your Army shoots Kalashnikovs you buy a Mig because that's all you can afford.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Koesj posted:

I really couldn't get into Hunter Killers, unfortunately. Blind Man's Bluff, which I liked, has the same kind of chronological vignette style going on, but somehow Ballantyne's book put me off stylistically.

What's your quick take on it? I'm definitely interested in a full review since it might help me get unstuck from being only 28% in.

The first time I read it I really enjoyed it. This time around found myself wondering how much he was reconstructing from memoirs, log books and diaries etc. But I'd say it's worth slogging through.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://kuow.org/post/puget-sound-lawmaker-pitches-new-bridge-built-old-aircraft-carriers

quote:

There's money in a state highway budget that passed the Washington House Thursday to study a one-of-a-kind possible toll bridge fashioned out of retired Navy aircraft carriers.

The idea comes from Washington State Representative Jesse Young. And he's totally serious about it.

"I know that people from around the world would come to drive across the deck of an aircraft carrier bridge, number one,” Young said.
Well, he's not wrong about that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mazz posted:

That's mostly what happens, except in the countries that want to develop their own industrial base. India and Korea are both interested in buying foreign fighters, but also building them domestically and in the long run building their own indigenous designs after they feel they have gotten to that point.

You see most other nations, like many in South America or SE Asia, put out an RFP and get responses from Boeing, Sukhoi, Dassault, etc with "nationalized" variants of existing fighters. They tend to buy who makes the biggest splash, or bribes them the most.

Japan and the UK are two others who also like to build in a lot of their own content if they're going to buy foreign fighters. British F-4 Phantoms got Rolls-Royce Spey engines and some indigenous avionics, for example. The issue is that makes the whole process a lot more expensive and I'm sure it's fun to hash out the technical details for all the companies and governments involved.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

"protects"

"citizens"

Mazz posted:

Found this today:

I didn't have the time to read it front to back yet but from what I have it seems like a pretty great read for those interested. A good history of air combat, engagements with different weapon types in the past 60 years, and the value of poo poo like AWACS and sensor fusion. Develops into a pretty interesting look of future aircraft design based on all that (by interesting I mean actually well thought out and not "YOU CAN"T DOGFIGHT WITHOUT A GUN!!!!")

Haven't cranked through it yet but CSBA is generally pretty reasonable and well thought out so I'm looking forward to it.

fake edit: Red Crown already beat me to it as far as sucking CSBA's dick but seriously, in addition to the stuff he mentioned their pieces on Air-Sea Battle are pretty much the best things out there open source on the subject.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

As long as they have all their nuclear weapons they're still dangerous enough that Nato won't intervene when Russia protects its citizens in Georgia or in Crimea.

Certainly can't deny that there are a lot of Russian citizens in eastern Ukraine right now.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Germany to reactivate a hundred mothballed tanks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The tanks will begin to be modernised in 2017.

Let's not be hasty here folks...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Merkel's going to need a really big broomstick for this one!!!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Don't forget that those transport planes will also be stealth.

Somewhere, a USMC general is rubbing his chin and going "hmmmm..."

What the USMC needs to realize is that if transport planes were stealth the Cactus Air Force and Henderson Field would never have been short in supplies. We need STOVL stealth transports instead of F-35Bs.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

The tanks will begin to be modernised in 2017.

Let's not be hasty here folks...

Wouldn't want to piss off the Russians.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
True. Someone's gonna have to supply the POL for them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
IIRC those tanks are needed to fully round out their existing six panzer battalions, so enough half-trained people and baseline lovely log/eng support should already be in place.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Key word: "Should"

Never underestimate the ability of military organizations to half-rear end log/eng-type support infrastructure and organizations.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Mazz posted:

Found this today:

Okay, I read this last night because reading white papers is what all the super cool kids do on a Friday night. The historical summary is that air-to-air combat is all about striking with surprise and maintaining situational awareness. Getting into a dogfight is a sucker's game that smart pilots avoid. Back in the old days of canvas airplanes and the Mk I eyeball, this meant aces stalked enemies from out of the sun or from behind and below. These days, this means radar, AWACS coverage, and beyond visual range missiles. BVR missiles did pretty poorly in Vietnam, but seekers and rules of engagement have gotten a lot better, and for modern air combat (everything from Desert Storm on), the BVR missile is king. The worst possible outcome in air to air combat is being killed by an undetected enemy. Modern guided missiles have added to that a 'mutual kill' where both sides launch guided missiles and neither escapes.

From this, the author concludes that what matters in a fighter aircraft is quality of sensors, low signatures in both radar and infrared, and the ability to carry a large number of long range guided missiles. Somewhat counter-intuitively, speed and maneuverability don't really matter. Going supersonic creates so much heat that you'd light up every IR sensor in range, while agile "dogfight" missiles like the AA-11 and AIM-9X with helmet-cued sights make maneuvering into firing position less important at close range. Building aircraft for speed and maneuverability has significant trade-offs in range, cost, sensors and signature. Worse, the Western Pacific is really really big, large enough that the F-22 & JSF will need aerial refueling to do pretty much anything. China and Russia are working on very long ranged missiles designed to take out AWACS planes and tankers, which means that future fighters might have to operate without as much close support. Moreover, since WW2 bomber ranges have increased dramatically compared to fighter rangers, so that in the future bombers will be going in pretty much alone. They close by offering a scenario where a single manned stealth bomber coordinating a picket line of stealthy Unmanned Combat Air Systems wipes the floor with a larger number of PAK-FAs.

The policy proposal is that the upcoming Long Range Strike Bomber should also have built in self-defense capabilities, and may even be able to take over the fighter role. A lot of it seems to make sense, the situational awareness model of air to air combat is backed by data rather than testosterone. A stealthy subsonic plane with plenty of electrical and thermal capability to run sensors, and payload for fuel and weapons is doable, since it's basically a B-2 but with a "hey guys, this time don't make them cost $1 billion apiece" price tag. With the right rules of engagement, long range missiles are terrifying, and up close the AIM-9X could mean that dogfighting is over.

There are some things that worry me, and that I don't think were properly addressed. My totally open source knowledge may be behind the times, but the future vision scenario assumed major advances in IRST and line-of-sight datalinks to do the sensor fusion. These things aren't physically impossible, but having a system that requires high-bandwidth unjammable and undetectable datalinks doesn't seem like something to rely on 100% of the time. Combat aircraft also need to be ready for situations where the sensor network breaks down. The enemy in the scenario played very dumb, supercruising at mach 1.8 when subsonic speeds might have reduced their signature to the point where they and the UCAS picket line detected each other at approximately the same time. And while gallivanting around at supersonic speeds might be a bad idea most of the time, it does expand options for entering and exiting a fight compared to a strictly subsonic aircraft. Kinematic boosts to missiles still matters. On the cost side, engines, stealth airframes, and sensors don't get cheaper because they're not man-rated. Any UCAS as described is probably comparable in cost to a manned stealth aircraft, and expensive enough that commanders wouldn't want them assigned to 'expendable' picket lines.

It's interesting and very well researched, and they make a strong case that guided missiles have developed enough that this time its different, but I can't help but think of the mediocre combat record of historical heavy fighters like the Bf-110 or the F-105. Is this the future, or is it the F6D Missileer II?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mazz's article posted:

Superior speed is also useful in disengaging from combat after a successful attack. This advantage, however, is likely to diminish as weapon and sensor ranges continue to grow while aircraft top speed remains relatively fixed. Against an adversary armed with directed-energy (DE) weapons, it would likely be of little value in improving the prospects of successful disengagement.

Grover detected. Engaging countermeasures.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I still haven't had a chance to read it, but Soviet tactics definitely made use of the "high/fast flyer." It not only gives a huge boost to missile kinematics, it makes an intercept much more difficult for their enemy. If it works, you kill the high value target you're charging. If it doesn't, you may have pulled so much of their attention off the rest of your plan and probably pulled several of their fighters out of position so you still haven't lost yet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

I definitely agree, but the last couple paragraphs of his conclusion address some of that.. uncertainty, and also mentions that in the next 20 years where airframes have already been mostly planned or in production, this isn't something we're likely to see anyway. It's an interesting take though, especially since it wasn't just thrown together or paid for by Lockheed and shouting STEALTH as loud as it could.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

TheFluff posted:

I got the impression that as long as they stuck to low-intensity pretending-to-be-separatist thing everything was very slow (see: the siege of the Donetsk airport lasting months), but once they got fed up with nothing happening and deployed some real mechanized troops in force they just rolled over the Ukrainians and advanced very quickly for a bit just before the "ceasefire".

It's really frightening that Putin has created a mechanized corps that's invisible to satellites as well as standard cameras

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

I still haven't had a chance to read it, but Soviet tactics definitely made use of the "high/fast flyer." It not only gives a huge boost to missile kinematics, it makes an intercept much more difficult for their enemy. If it works, you kill the high value target you're charging. If it doesn't, you may have pulled so much of their attention off the rest of your plan and probably pulled several of their fighters out of position so you still haven't lost yet.

Watching multi-role flights with responsibility for interdiction and air defense dump every shred of extra fuel and ground ordnance they have in order to try to react to a HFF is a pretty good lesson on just how much the HFF can gently caress up your plans.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Biffmotron posted:

The policy proposal is that the upcoming Long Range Strike Bomber should also have built in self-defense capabilities, and may even be able to take over the fighter role.
How many AMRAAMs could fit in/on a Bone? Rotary launcers in the bays, multiple rails on the external hardpoints... :getin:

quote:

It's interesting and very well researched, and they make a strong case that guided missiles have developed enough that this time its different, but I can't help but think of the mediocre combat record of historical heavy fighters like the Bf-110 or the F-105. Is this the future, or is it the F6D Missileer II?
Wasn't the Thud meant to be more bomber than fighter, and in the era when knife-fighting was still a thing, though? Its fighter-like qualities were more for getting out after it dropped its bombs. Sort of like the Mudhen now, but with less ability to turn.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's really frightening that Putin has created a mechanized corps that's invisible to satellites as well as standard cameras

I'm not sure what you're being passive-aggressive about here. Are you trying to say there are no Russian mechanized forces in Ukraine or are you just calling me out for having an incorrect understanding of the war? Feel free to elaborate in case you run out of oneliners.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 12, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheFluff posted:

I'm not sure what you're being passive-aggressive about here. Are you trying to say there are no Russian mechanized forces in Ukraine or are you just calling me out for having an incorrect understanding of the war? Feel free to elaborate in case you run out of oneliners.

Tom Clancy was totally right to predict that future wars would be fought primarily over information. The success at which Russia has been engaging in an Information war to the point where they can have an expeditionary force fighting a land war in the Ukraine and people in the West aren't freaking the gently caress out is incredible.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
p sure the guy is just driveby trolling but I'll readily admit I haven't really been paying all that much attention to the specifics, so if someone wants to elaborate on the use of mechanized forces in eastern ukraine in the last six months that'd be cool

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Biffmotron posted:

Okay, I read this last night because reading white papers is what all the super cool kids do on a Friday night. The historical summary is that air-to-air combat is all about striking with surprise and maintaining situational awareness. Getting into a dogfight is a sucker's game that smart pilots avoid. Back in the old days of canvas airplanes and the Mk I eyeball, this meant aces stalked enemies from out of the sun or from behind and below. These days, this means radar, AWACS coverage, and beyond visual range missiles. BVR missiles did pretty poorly in Vietnam, but seekers and rules of engagement have gotten a lot better, and for modern air combat (everything from Desert Storm on), the BVR missile is king. The worst possible outcome in air to air combat is being killed by an undetected enemy. Modern guided missiles have added to that a 'mutual kill' where both sides launch guided missiles and neither escapes.

From this, the author concludes that what matters in a fighter aircraft is quality of sensors, low signatures in both radar and infrared, and the ability to carry a large number of long range guided missiles. Somewhat counter-intuitively, speed and maneuverability don't really matter. Going supersonic creates so much heat that you'd light up every IR sensor in range, while agile "dogfight" missiles like the AA-11 and AIM-9X with helmet-cued sights make maneuvering into firing position less important at close range. Building aircraft for speed and maneuverability has significant trade-offs in range, cost, sensors and signature. Worse, the Western Pacific is really really big, large enough that the F-22 & JSF will need aerial refueling to do pretty much anything. China and Russia are working on very long ranged missiles designed to take out AWACS planes and tankers, which means that future fighters might have to operate without as much close support. Moreover, since WW2 bomber ranges have increased dramatically compared to fighter rangers, so that in the future bombers will be going in pretty much alone. They close by offering a scenario where a single manned stealth bomber coordinating a picket line of stealthy Unmanned Combat Air Systems wipes the floor with a larger number of PAK-FAs.

The policy proposal is that the upcoming Long Range Strike Bomber should also have built in self-defense capabilities, and may even be able to take over the fighter role. A lot of it seems to make sense, the situational awareness model of air to air combat is backed by data rather than testosterone. A stealthy subsonic plane with plenty of electrical and thermal capability to run sensors, and payload for fuel and weapons is doable, since it's basically a B-2 but with a "hey guys, this time don't make them cost $1 billion apiece" price tag. With the right rules of engagement, long range missiles are terrifying, and up close the AIM-9X could mean that dogfighting is over.

There are some things that worry me, and that I don't think were properly addressed. My totally open source knowledge may be behind the times, but the future vision scenario assumed major advances in IRST and line-of-sight datalinks to do the sensor fusion. These things aren't physically impossible, but having a system that requires high-bandwidth unjammable and undetectable datalinks doesn't seem like something to rely on 100% of the time. Combat aircraft also need to be ready for situations where the sensor network breaks down. The enemy in the scenario played very dumb, supercruising at mach 1.8 when subsonic speeds might have reduced their signature to the point where they and the UCAS picket line detected each other at approximately the same time. And while gallivanting around at supersonic speeds might be a bad idea most of the time, it does expand options for entering and exiting a fight compared to a strictly subsonic aircraft. Kinematic boosts to missiles still matters. On the cost side, engines, stealth airframes, and sensors don't get cheaper because they're not man-rated. Any UCAS as described is probably comparable in cost to a manned stealth aircraft, and expensive enough that commanders wouldn't want them assigned to 'expendable' picket lines.

And all of this can be totally obliterated by an ROE that requires visual identification of targets.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

TheFluff posted:

p sure the guy is just driveby trolling but I'll readily admit I haven't really been paying all that much attention to the specifics, so if someone wants to elaborate on the use of mechanized forces in eastern ukraine in the last six months that'd be cool

Well, SHAPE turned their analysts loose on open source and commercial imagery, and created a succinct release demonstrating that Russian armor is almost certainly operating in Ukraine but no one publicly changed their positions since everyone already knew that Russian infantry was engaged and no one in the West is willing to go the mats over Eastern Ukraine yet.

So, congrats on Dejan to being the sort of low-information useful idiot that people like Putin count on.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 12, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A rare bit of good news in Canadian mil procurement, with an asterisk of incompetence: we have a new C-17 (CC-177 in metric):

I've always thought we could use more of these things, and they are apparently well built. NATO in general could use more of these as well: Canadian C-17s were helping out big five nation France with their operations in Mali a while ago. Canada now has five C-17s.

The asterisk is this: the list price of a C-17 is around $200 million, and Canada paid $415 million. The Canadian Department of National Defense stuck with its "never releasing any information ever to voters, the media, or Parliament because you incompetence shame us" and said that the extra cost was due to extra...things bought with the new airplane. These included a "spare engine, ancillary equipment, under-sealant to prevent rust, special Boeing floor mats, and a matching C-17 tank cozy.” Since they positively refuse to give any sort of breakdown to costs, I can only assume incompetence is to blame, with political fuckery riding a close second. Maybe the Cons opted to pay 150 million in contract penalties by not paying Boeing until some arbitrary financial year closed? Possibly more knowledgeable people here have a better idea what's behind this.

Speaking of political fuckery: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-forces-unaffordable-in-its-current-form-says-parliamentary-budget-office

TL;DR: The Parliamentary budget office says Canada is massively underfunding the Canadian military. In its current form, spending would require about 1.7% of GDP, and we are currently spending about 1.1%. Long story short: the Cons made big plans for rejuvenated the Canadian Military, but 2011 on systematically reduced the budget so that money could be paid to the National debt instead. This is not only what the Liberals did while in power; it's even the same motivation for reducing military spending. So, the Cons after all the big talk, have literally adopted the policy of their predecessors. (Great Britain and the United States have been trying to get us to move toward 2.0% of GDP toward defense, something readers of this thread will have some sympathy with.)

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
So there's basically no party in Canada that's willing to fund the Canadian Forces?

I'm trying to picture what the NDP would do with the military right now.

e: apparently they did have a platform on this in the last election, and it was stay the course on budget and spend it on more peacekeeping-type stuff :shrug:

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 12, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mortabis posted:

So there's basically no party in Canada that's willing to fund the Canadian Forces?

Basically no. It's not an issue with the electorate at all. The Tories are currently trying to drum up support for a campaign against ISIS, but they've been doing it in a pretty hamfisted way. Any attempt to bring up military spending just means the media will talk about the F-35 more, and they really don't want that.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

And all of this can be totally obliterated by an ROE that requires visual identification of targets.

AESA ISAR can give you pretty good images of aircraft. Couple that with EWS RF emissions, IRST, and traditional JEM NCTR and it's not at all unreasonable to expect BVR PID. Sensor fusion is pretty much a necessity for 5th-gens for a reason -- look at that report from a while back about F-35 training wherein SAM systems intended to play the role of more advanced threats couldn't because the aircraft correctly dismissed the spoofing attempts and identified them as the older systems they were, and then keep in mind that that works for aircraft, too.

I know, I know, that's veering kinda close to ~grover~ territory, but there's a reason everyone and their mother wants sensor fusion balls-deep in anything new with wings.

Fun ISAR pictures because they're cool if you're a nerd (and if you're in this thread reading this you're an incorrigible turbonerd):

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Transfer_Vehicle)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go count my Lockheed shill money and lord it over the poors.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nebakenezzer posted:

A rare bit of good news in Canadian mil procurement, with an asterisk of incompetence: we have a new C-17 (CC-177 in metric):

I've always thought we could use more of these things, and they are apparently well built. NATO in general could use more of these as well: Canadian C-17s were helping out big five nation France with their operations in Mali a while ago. Canada now has five C-17s.

The asterisk is this: the list price of a C-17 is around $200 million, and Canada paid $415 million. The Canadian Department of National Defense stuck with its "never releasing any information ever to voters, the media, or Parliament because you incompetence shame us" and said that the extra cost was due to extra...things bought with the new airplane. These included a "spare engine, ancillary equipment, under-sealant to prevent rust, special Boeing floor mats, and a matching C-17 tank cozy.” Since they positively refuse to give any sort of breakdown to costs, I can only assume incompetence is to blame, with political fuckery riding a close second. Maybe the Cons opted to pay 150 million in contract penalties by not paying Boeing until some arbitrary financial year closed? Possibly more knowledgeable people here have a better idea what's behind this.

Flyaway price for a C-17 is now closer to $225-$230. So for starters you need to factor in spares (not included with the flyaway cost, and if Canada is flying these until the wings fall off a bunch of spare parts is a smart investment). Then include training...Boeing will likely be providing some training (this is especially likely since as I understand it you guys went direct commercial sales from Boeing as opposed to doing FMS through the US government.) Then you also need to factor in CLS (Contract Logistics Support.) Boeing has a robust CLS package for the C-17 that is actually pretty good when it comes to manufacturer CLS...but it's above and beyond the published sticker price. The last thing ties in with CLS...I highly doubt you guys are investing in a full up depot capability since you're only buying 5 tails. The US pays a lower "price" to Boeing for its aircraft because we've invested in a substantial organic depot capability with the C-17 (although even then we've got a solid public/private partnership arrangement with Boeing among the three ALCs regarding the C-17). Since you guys are basically going to be paying Boeing to do all your depot level work, more money past the sticker price.

In comparison India paid about $410M per tail when they ordered 10 aircraft a few years back (and presumably invested in a lot of the same things I listed above), so you guys are right about in the same boat.

And that's assuming all $415M is going direct to Boeing. If that's the total cost of the additional aircraft buy then there's a whole bunch of other stuff that comes into play. Canada doesn't have an existing heavy-lift support infrastructure (beyond what they have for the existing 4) so buying another one means buying more infrastructure...everything from K-loaders to extra maintenance GSE. Also probably invested in some more fixed facilities for both the extra equipment as well as the extra plane. Then if you really get down in the weeds you can start factoring in the extra personnel needed to operate the fifth plane over the life of the plane and everything that goes along with that.

Finances are of course a murky world, doubly so when you're talking military procurement, but on the face I can think of several reasonable justifications why Canada spent what they did on the fifth tail.

e: Here's a pretty decent overview/timeline of Boeing's CLS work on the C-17.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Watching multi-role flights with responsibility for interdiction and air defense dump every shred of extra fuel and ground ordnance they have in order to try to react to a HFF is a pretty good lesson on just how much the HFF can gently caress up your plans.

Also, they're probably going to be at/near bingo when they intercept is over. Hope you've got someone else to take over that CAP.

Mr. Showtime posted:

AESA ISAR can give you pretty good images of aircraft. Couple that with EWS RF emissions, IRST, and traditional JEM NCTR and it's not at all unreasonable to expect BVR PID. Sensor fusion is pretty much a necessity for 5th-gens for a reason -- look at that report from a while back about F-35 training wherein SAM systems intended to play the role of more advanced threats couldn't because the aircraft correctly dismissed the spoofing attempts and identified them as the older systems they were, and then keep in mind that that works for aircraft, too.

The problem isn't the inability to make long-range identification, it's political/legal wrangling. More technological options are always helpful because sometimes you just can't get the right data, but restrictive ROE is completely unrelated to that.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Godholio posted:

The problem isn't the inability to make long-range identification, it's political/legal wrangling. More technological options are always helpful because sometimes you just can't get the right data, but restrictive ROE is completely unrelated to that.

I wasn't saying that restrictive ROE couldn't do that, just that it'll hopefully make so little sense to have said restrictive ROE that BVR engagements will be generally allowable even if your goal for the current shooting war is to only break out the Vincennes once or twice. I never actually made that clear, though, because I'm :downs:!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

Finances are of course a murky world, doubly so when you're talking military procurement, but on the face I can think of several reasonable justifications why Canada spent what they did on the fifth tail.

e: Here's a pretty decent overview/timeline of Boeing's CLS work on the C-17.

As much as I relish being cynical about the Canadian government sometimes, that's good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Showtime posted:

break out the Vincennes once or twice.

:laffo: