Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

maybe he works for a web hosting company

web hosting with windows???
so like, hosted sharepoint or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sniep posted:

someone out there is making money keeping all those asp classic pages running

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

my stepdads beer posted:

someone out there is making money keeping all those asp classic pages running

when i see a webpage that has .asp extensions on its dynamic pages it immediately makes me think of like, a venn diagram where one half is "Small scale poo poo" and the other half is "incompetent poo poo" and theres a bubble in the middle barely including exclusions that stretch into one side only or the other.

most of the time it's just small scale AND incompetent poo poo. but once in a great while it can be one or the other purely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
ty for the laptop sysv

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Sniep posted:

yeah if you're a web host it would behoove you to have some windows machines ready in case you want to take money from someone who uses dotnetnuke or something horrible

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

yeah if you're a web host it would behoove you to have some windows machines ready in case you want to take money from someone who uses dotnetnuke or something horrible

eh, nah

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

ty for the laptop sysv

Np, hope it survived. It just barely fit in a flat rate box so that is how I sent it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

ty for the laptop sysv

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

what's the best USB keyboard for me to buy (must be windows sorry)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

what's the best USB keyboard for me to buy (must be windows sorry)

best is subjective obviously but i have a logitech k120 that is very needs suiting and very inexpensive

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

nah I'm going to buy the das keyboard blank keys

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nah I'm going to buy the das keyboard blank keys

i did this and the only regret it getting the blank keys. just how good are you without keys? what about numbers, or things like $*&^+_}{":<>??

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

echinopsis posted:

i did this and the only regret it getting the blank keys. just how good are you without keys? what about numbers, or things like $*&^+_}{":<>??

good point I usually forget about the shifties... maybe I should get the "professional"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

best is subjective obviously but i have a logitech k120 that is very needs suiting and very inexpensive

extremely :agreed:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

good point I usually forget about the shifties... maybe I should get the "professional"

blank keys looks cool but I find myself making a lot more errors. it takes a slight fraction of a second to look down to remember that @ #$ are where they are. befiore i sprung foir the raninbow keys it was bery hard. currently i have only ther alpha keys marked the rest are blank. still want ot replace them all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i posted this to ask the nerdlingers in shsc actually but i trust my yosbros more

Beeftweeter posted:

I am looking to upgrade my GPU and narrowed down the options between almost identical (other than color and possibly a backplate) MSI GTX 970s.

One is the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100 Million Edition OC ($335 after rebate, no game coupon) and the other is the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G ($340, no rebate, coupon for The Witcher 3).

I'm not really interested in the game (although I would probably play it anyway), but the thing that stuck out to me was that one Amazon Q&A thing says that the "100 million" edition has a backplate; reviews of the other MSI card say it doesn't have one. I don't really know much about GPUs — is this something that should tip me in favor of getting the card that has one?

I also am open to other 970 suggestions, although from what I've read this is the best price/performance card that isn't hilariously huge (from a quick measurement the Gigabyte G1 Gaming would just barely fit in my full ATX tower). Please let me know if I'm being a horrible idiot or something.

idk if a back plate is something i want or need

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Beeftweeter posted:

i posted this to ask the nerdlingers in shsc actually but i trust my yosbros more

idk if a back plate is something i want or need
i'm pretty sure a backplate is only there for giant aftermarket heatsinks on the gpu, like watercooler blocks, but maybe it's there for the giant heatsink that comes with it. idk. they look like the same card, so go with whatever you want

but regarding the 970, there's a known issue that prevents it from using the last 0.5GB of 4GB memory: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8931/nvidia-publishes-statement-on-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

anthonypants posted:

i'm pretty sure a backplate is only there for giant aftermarket heatsinks on the gpu, like watercooler blocks, but maybe it's there for the giant heatsink that comes with it. idk. they look like the same card, so go with whatever you want

but regarding the 970, there's a known issue that prevents it from using the last 0.5GB of 4GB memory: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8931/nvidia-publishes-statement-on-geforce-gtx-970-memory-allocation

ok thanks i guess its not really necessary then

yeah i'm aware of the issue with the vram. it still seems like a great card and if it were labeled as "3.5 gb" i probably would buy it anyway since the next thing that might be coming out (gtx 980 ti) is rumored for 2016 and i'm not going anywhere near anything amd

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Beeftweeter posted:

ok thanks i guess its not really necessary then

yeah i'm aware of the issue with the vram. it still seems like a great card and if it were labeled as "3.5 gb" i probably would buy it anyway since the next thing that might be coming out (gtx 980 ti) is rumored for 2016 and i'm not going anywhere near anything amd
:agreed: if i didn't already have a 770 i'd still get a 970

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
the "3.5 gb" issue is really not a problem

if youre pushing resolutions that high or details youre probably better off wiht a 980.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol coincidentally my current video card seems to have up and died so its a good thing i bought one a few hours ago :shrug:

it didn't have any symptoms of a dying card at all, it just doesn't work anymore :stare:

anyway i got the one without witcher 3 or whatever just because it ships out today instead of may 15th or something. good thing i guess

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
what did you get?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TPLKR7Q/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
thats cool, i have just a regular msi 970. it just tears thru everything, it's a really great card

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Panty Saluter posted:

thats cool, i have just a regular msi 970. it just tears thru everything, it's a really great card

im hecka excited considering it looks like i'm gonna be stuck with intel graphics for a few days. i have no idea wtf happened but thinking back i guess maybe there were some signs, people were saying gta v ran fine for them and i kept complaining about it crashing

the thing absolutely refuses to work with os x (it stopped working after i rebooted for an update and i thought that just hosed up since its a hackintosh) but under windows it works with intermittent driver crashes. the timing is still kinda creeping me out tbh

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
what was the old card?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
an evga 660 ti. i think the specific model is a bunch of nonsensical letters and numbers

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

an evga 660 ti. i think the specific model is a bunch of nonsensical letters and numbers

dsyp :xd:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

nonsensical letters and numbers

heart touching

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

my stepdads beer posted:

heart touching

Cock solid

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm mounting up some old registry files from backup to pick through HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet but I mount up the system registry file and only Control001 and Control002 are there. Is there a different file where they are stashing this away or is that just a junction point and the data is buried in the software registry somewhere?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm mounting up some old registry files from backup to pick through HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet but I mount up the system registry file and only Control001 and Control002 are there. Is there a different file where they are stashing this away or is that just a junction point and the data is buried in the software registry somewhere?

Either ControlSet001 or ControlSet002 is actually CurrentControlSet, the other one is the last known good configuration you can select from F8. They get aliased while the system is running. Check in HKLM\SYSTEM\Select for which one is which.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for answering my last question guys.

Now I have another one for you. Not sure if this should be put in the video thread or here but w/e.

I have several LiveMeeting recordings that get saved in .wmv format. I have one that's 1hr long and 21mb in size, and a few others that are smaller, but recorded the same way. My company wants me to add a splash screen to the front (which is just a jpg, and needs to show up for 5 seconds). What is the best way to do this? I have Adobe Premiere CC, and when I did it, it re-sized the video to 300mb and made the video quality look like utter poo poo (as in, worse than it was). This was even after matching the quality settings of the video. I did, however, try to re-encode the video as mp4 so that might be the reason, idk.

Here are the video details:

e: forgot to mention, I did some audio woirk on this video as well, so I'd like to be able to squeeze in the new audio. I know how to do it, but I just want to factor that into the equation.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 20, 2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use windows movie maker

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

use windows movie maker

I'd prefer not to if I can help it. My company only approves the use of the previous version of WLMM (because ???), which doesn't save in mp4 format.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
save as .wmv

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

save as .wmv

no dont

use .rm realmedia

i mean the discussion is clearly "video formats from 1998" if wmv is in the suggestion pool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Migishu posted:

Thanks for answering my last question guys.

Now I have another one for you. Not sure if this should be put in the video thread or here but w/e.

I have several LiveMeeting recordings that get saved in .wmv format. I have one that's 1hr long and 21mb in size, and a few others that are smaller, but recorded the same way. My company wants me to add a splash screen to the front (which is just a jpg, and needs to show up for 5 seconds). What is the best way to do this? I have Adobe Premiere CC, and when I did it, it re-sized the video to 300mb and made the video quality look like utter poo poo (as in, worse than it was). This was even after matching the quality settings of the video. I did, however, try to re-encode the video as mp4 so that might be the reason, idk.

Here are the video details:

e: forgot to mention, I did some audio woirk on this video as well, so I'd like to be able to squeeze in the new audio. I know how to do it, but I just want to factor that into the equation.

i'm not sure if ffmpeg supports that codec (although i would guess that it does), but you could try converting to h264 or wmv9 with it. there's also a filter that lets you insert your splash screen but the easiest way to do it (since it's already done) would be to just export your premiere thing losslessly and then feed that to ffmpeg for conversion. its pretty easy to replace an audio track with ffmpeg as well

e: if you dont feel like combing through the man pages to figure out how to get the settings you want and need a gui to do this handbrake is decent for h264 and should be able to take your premiere output

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 20, 2015

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
You know how there's that weird unicode for zalgo text or whatever that you can pretty much add pixels at random places on the line? Is there a thing where you can put a black and white image and it coverts that to the unicodes that make that picture? I want to make the harry potter HP but change the P to have the lightning bolt and post that on bookface.

Also why does that kind of text seem to work when I google for it, but breaks if I copypaste? I guess mac doesn't include all the unicode chars when I copy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Peanut and the Gang posted:

You know how there's that weird unicode for zalgo text or whatever that you can pretty much add pixels at random places on the line? Is there a thing where you can put a black and white image and it coverts that to the unicodes that make that picture? I want to make the harry potter HP but change the P to have the lightning bolt and post that on bookface.

Also why does that kind of text seem to work when I google for it, but breaks if I copypaste? I guess mac doesn't include all the unicode chars when I copy?

i don't know the answer to your particular question but the unicode function for that is combining characters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combining_character and yeah i assume you're correct about copy/paste. it depends what the source and destination support for combining characters and/or you might not actually be selecting "everything" as far as os x is concerned