Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Look, fuckers. I know it's hip and edgy to poo poo on anyone who exhibits anything less than perfection on stream, but these dudes did fly halfway around the world to compete on camera. Sometimes dudes get jet lagged or have personal poo poo going on or or just have a bad loving day. Chapin is a known criminal, but in the context of loving Wizard Poker, I've not heard a lot of bad poo poo about him (as opposed to someone like Dezani). So, why don't you guys just clam the gently caress down for a minute and talk about some Ojutais and Silumgars and other cool loving dragons and let the dude who got a game loss for loving up and had some other assorted bad-play-itis have his bad loving day to himself. Christ.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Look, fuckers. I know it's hip and edgy to poo poo on anyone who exhibits anything less than perfection on stream, but these dudes did fly halfway around the world to compete on camera. Sometimes dudes get jet lagged or have personal poo poo going on or or just have a bad loving day. Chapin is a known criminal, but in the context of loving Wizard Poker, I've not heard a lot of bad poo poo about him (as opposed to someone like Dezani). So, why don't you guys just clam the gently caress down for a minute and talk about some Ojutais and Silumgars and other cool loving dragons and let the dude who got a game loss for loving up and had some other assorted bad-play-itis have his bad loving day to himself. Christ.

Quoted for truth.

Chapin has no known history of cheating at Nerdy Wizard Poker, the dude hosed up, tried to fight it cuz there is a fuckton on the line, and took the loss. He's a great player and great deckbuilder (usually), and seems to have been on the straight and narrow since his arrest.

I mean, I know absolutely no poster in this thread has ever used a :gasp: illicit drug before, but having used/sold them does not necesarrily make someone an irredimible shitlord.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i smoked a drug once, then i played two lands on my turn. i mean there's a reason explore is green.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

black potus posted:

i smoked a drug once, then i played two lands on my turn. i mean there's a reason explore is green.

What about two Explores? Is that dangerous?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Playing two lands is a gateway drug.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

black potus posted:

My mother played two lands in a turn once. Once.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Toshimo posted:

PUT HIM IN JAIL

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I agree that Chapin should get the benefit of the doubt, though I also don't blame people for wondering if he planned any of that considering the recent high-profile cheating that occurred.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Swagger Dagger posted:

PUT HIM IN JAIL

http://gethimabodybag.ytmnd.com/

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

PUT HIM IN JAIL

There is no better way to reinforce no cheating in this beautiful game.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
does anyone really think his criminal past is relevant i thought that just came up bc of the zoness joke

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

does anyone really think his criminal past is relevant i thought that just came up bc of the zoness joke

it is vitally important to run every joke into the ground

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

black potus posted:

Once a criminal, always a criminal.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
the allure of breaking the law
is always too much for me to ever ignore

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ramos posted:

Once a criminal, always a criminal.
Every crime should be a death penalty offense, up to and including stealing the pens off my desk.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Every crime should be a death penalty offense, up to and including stealing the pens off my desk.

Really, if anything, we've gotten quite soft. To think you used to be able to behead people for stealing apples and look at us now. Letting a scared, nervous man get away with cheating on a card game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

sure, just like one's shitposting past is always relevant

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Really, if anything, we've gotten quite soft. To think you used to be able to behead people for stealing apples and look at us now. Letting a scared, nervous man get away with cheating on a card game.

Chapin is cheating on magic? I thought it was just Kibler, PV, and Cifka who played a lot of hearthstone and were also good at magic.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

I've worked in a lot of places, and I've discovered one thing: no matter where you are and who you work with, someone will take your pen.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Toshimo posted:

nice meltdown

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/tommartell/status/586632351578529794

Ban Stephen Speck for life IMO

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Toshimo posted:

Ah, but you see, when Dezani scouted his opponents' card purchases at that GP, that was technically within the rules, and, as such, can not be considered scummy or the actions of a douchebag.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

black potus posted:

the allure of breaking the law
is always too much for me to ever ignore

"gently caress the police" BIG ANIME FAN whispered under his breath as he ran a yellow light.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why are you guys still shitposting about the alleged cheat when I literally just linked to a twitter post talking about a guy who actually got a DQ for cheating in the PT

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why are you guys still shitposting about the alleged cheat when I literally just linked to a twitter post talking about a guy who actually got a DQ for cheating in the PT

That was literally two posts ago, calm down.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
explore and ecstasy have similar sounding first syllables, COINCIDENCE?!?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

No need to witch hunt where justice was already served.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 11, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AgentSythe posted:

nice meltdown

You post this like you're shocked at Toshimo rage-posting about meta poo poo yet again.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Anyone know when the Chapin match happened? I'm on the youtube page of archived footage from today and none of the feature match titles have Chapins name. Was his match a late look-in from another match that finished early, or does it look like they're not posting his round because reasons.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

"gently caress the police" BIG ANIME FAN whispered under his breath as he ran a yellow light.

Okay you got me. I legit laughed.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Anyone know when the Chapin match happened? I'm on the youtube page of archived footage from today and none of the feature match titles have Chapins name. Was his match a late look-in from another match that finished early, or does it look like they're not posting his round because reasons.

It was the look-in in round 5 6, Owen Turtenwald was in the feature match

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Looking back at it now, he does pick up the cards, so his whole argument was irrelevant

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

You post this like you're shocked at Toshimo rage-posting about meta poo poo yet again.

Toshimo made a good point and has actually been helpful in the Commander thread as of late, so I don't see the problem. :colbert:

Angry Grimace posted:

Okay you got me. I legit laughed.

Thanks. :shobon:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

So what do you actually have to do to get a lifetime ban? Beat the poo poo out of an opponent?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

black potus posted:

And besides, we all know he has the shakes.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I don't see the downside to just giving out lifetime bans when they've determined you intentionally cheated at an event. Like, this isn't actual jail. No one's life will be ruined because they can't play in GPs and PTQs.

The only way to really disincentivize cheating is to make the risk not worth the reward.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

I don't see the downside to just giving out lifetime bans when they've determined you intentionally cheated at an event. Like, this isn't actual jail. No one's life will be ruined because they can't play in GPs and PTQs.

The only way to really disincentivize cheating is to make the risk not worth the reward.

Even repeat offenders of straight up cheating don't get lifetime bans, which leads me to believe you'd have to put your opponent in the hospital or something to draw one.

The list of suspended DCI members does list one guy who is banned for the next 7,950 years.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

What's the upside to doing it? You've just potentially lost a customer that buys your product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the upside to doing it? You've just potentially lost a customer that buys your product

The same upside bannings have in other products. Cheating is something that cause losses with your other customers.

• Locked thread